Stuffing SWYPO?

rachieleah

Well I admit I LOVE stuffing, but only ever had it at Thanksgiving.. so not sure if it would be SWYPO but I can see how it could be.  This year not really having a Thanksgiving because I know it will throw me off so thank you rachieleah,  I have saved that recipe and will try it next year after I am firmly where I need to be.

• Administrators

I just went and re-read the recipe and think it would be really good to make in advance for a week worth of breakfasts.  Just take out what you want to eat, reheat in a skillet with some fat and throw an egg on top!

My god, that doesn't come close to SWYPO.   Its all VEGGIE with some pork sausage.. little coconut flour to bind it.. No HUNKS of BREAD.. 

Where I come from Stuffing is HUNKS OF BREAD…I agree with making it a breakfast dish..  Tessina, you still have to eat on Thanksgiving.. why not 

go ahead and make the turkey and some yummy yams or winter squash and green veggies..   Part of a whole 30 is learning that those traditional 

dishes don't have to dawn our tables anymore and we can make up new interesting things.. And feel great and not slothy afterwards…  

ok.  ;)

Thank you, Miss Mary and Kirkor.

Miss Mary, stuffing for me would be a swapped out version of the real thing.   I love my mother's stuffing, she makes pans of it because everyone loves to eat it cold out of the fridge for breakfast, lunch and dinner.   She makes homemade buns/dinner rolls and uses that for stuffing ingredients.   It's almost better than the turkey.

I won't be stuffing myself with her stuffing this year.   I've had a food and head reset.  Reintros have revealed my 'BS' (blood sugar) inability to handle refined carbs (homemade white/wheat bread).  

The head reset has been the best thing about the Whole 30.  My head no longer looks at fluffy white bread as the answer to anything.   I'm going to Slow Roll right on by Thanksgiving without the standard fare.   I have my vegetable dishes all planned out.

Brussels Sprouts with bacon bits, purple onions and real cranberries.     French green beans, a similar recipe.   I'm making a squash soup with turkey, other vegetables and real cranberries for Thanksgiving colors.   I'm making individual pumpkin side dishes in muffin tins.    There will be no funky soup green bean casserole with dried onions.   

I'm happy to make some 'compliant' dishes for Thanksgiving.   I'm not going to slip-slide backwards into Gobbler's Knob with Punxsutawney Phil.  

Thanks again, Miss Mary and Kirkor.   I appreciate both of your opinions about this holiday.

My god, that doesn't come close to SWYPO.   Its all VEGGIE with some pork sausage.. little coconut flour to bind it.. No HUNKS of BREAD.. 

Where I come from Stuffing is HUNKS OF BREAD…I agree with making it a breakfast dish..  Tessina, you still have to eat on Thanksgiving.. why not 

go ahead and make the turkey and some yummy yams or winter squash and green veggies..   Part of a whole 30 is learning that those traditional 

dishes don't have to dawn our tables anymore and we can make up new interesting things.. And feel great and not slothy afterwards…  

I know myself so this year am steering clear of familiar foods for the day or there is a good chance I will end up at brother's house eating rolls and other things I loved but are not compliant.  I had a real love of bread and been proud of myself for almost completely eliminating it (fail on Sept 12 and Halloween with pizza).  Yes this stuffing has no bread, I will make it one day.  For now will stick with my Whole30 and for once completing it while being compliant

Thanks for the pointer to this recipe.  For my guests, I have to make my cornbread sausage apple cranberry stuffing in the bird or else the gravy becomes wall art.  I can make this on the side and skip the doughblobs. 

It's a pork hash, not stuffing, another side among many.

• 2 weeks later...

SWYPO means you paleoize something you love but it's never really as good as the real thing, and doesn't hit the spot the way the real thing does. For some, that could be chocolate cake or other deserts, for others it could be stuffing, or spaghetti. The foods we love are different for everyone, so what counts as SWYPO is different for everyone. However, I think we can have different versions of foods we loved that are still very tasty and unique, because they in no way resemble the original. I'm making a chestnut and sausage stuffing with mushrooms and celery and onions and herbs. I'm sure it will be tasty, but it in NO WAY resembles bread stuffing. However, I don't have a love affair with bread stuffing. My mom never made the best stuffing ever - she usually just made stove top, tbh, which I always thought was salty with no other real flavor, and the few occasions I made it, I added onions, celery, and fresh herbs. We don't have any family recipes that have been passed down from great grandma that "mean" thanksgiving for us. We make it different every year. This year my mom is making just a turkey breast and leg (leg for gravy mostly) for my dad and uncle because they *HAVE* to have turkey, and I'm roasting a leg of lamb because I don't even like turkey. 

Christmas is a different story though. Swedish meatballs mean Christmas for me. And I will find a way to make them without flour/breadcrumbs.

"SWYPO means you paleoize something you love but it's never really as good as the real thing, and doesn't hit the spot the way the real thing does. For some, that could be chocolate cake or other deserts, for others it could be stuffing, or spaghetti. The foods we love are different for everyone, so what counts as SWYPO is different for everyone."

They're never as good as the real thing.   Quite often they'll trigger you to keep searching and seeking out the real thing.  The next thing you know...your car is parked at the gas station/mini mart.   You seek for the real thing but end up finding protein or granola bars, potato chips and soda pop.  You get back in your car and shake it off on the long drive home with your bottle of water.  

• Administrators

I made this recipe on the weekend (doubled the meat), baked it on Sunday afternoon and then reheated a portion of it in the frying pan.  Added two huge handfuls of spinach and let it wilt and then put a runny egg on top.  SO GOOD!  The recipe makes a veritable tonne, too, so you probably want to either halve if you are eating it alone or plan to eat it all week.

Really yummy!

I made this recipe for a work Thanksgiving lunch today and it is incredible!  Just like ladyshanny said it does make a ton.  It is a perfect meal with some added greens and a bit more protein.  I am happy to hear it reheats well since I have alot of left overs.  Hopefully the kids enjoy it as much as I do.

I will be making this for Thanksgiving dinner.  Thanks for the recipe.

SWYPO means you paleoize something you love but it's never really as good as the real thing, and doesn't hit the spot the way the real thing does. For some, that could be chocolate cake or other deserts, for others it could be stuffing, or spaghetti. The foods we love are different for everyone, so what counts as SWYPO is different for everyone. However, I think we can have different versions of foods we loved that are still very tasty and unique, because they in no way resemble the original. I'm making a chestnut and sausage stuffing with mushrooms and celery and onions and herbs. I'm sure it will be tasty, but it in NO WAY resembles bread stuffing. However, I don't have a love affair with bread stuffing. My mom never made the best stuffing ever - she usually just made stove top, tbh, which I always thought was salty with no other real flavor, and the few occasions I made it, I added onions, celery, and fresh herbs. We don't have any family recipes that have been passed down from great grandma that "mean" thanksgiving for us. We make it different every year. This year my mom is making just a turkey breast and leg (leg for gravy mostly) for my dad and uncle because they *HAVE* to have turkey, and I'm roasting a leg of lamb because I don't even like turkey. 

Christmas is a different story though. Swedish meatballs mean Christmas for me. And I will find a way to make them without flour/breadcrumbs.

FYI - I just made my aunt's Greek meatball recipe using shredded (and sweated) zucchini in place of breadcrumbs and it worked well!  They didn't hold up to the traditional pan frying method, but baking worked great.

Archived