Will I ever feel like I'm succeeding??

AprilLynne

Man, today I feel like I took one giant step backwards!!  I have a slight headache, nothing Whole30 sounds good to eat, and I am craving a Chai Tea Latte or Hot Chocolate.  Would also love a burger WITH bun, or breakfast burrito with a tortilla.....right now I feel like when I hit Day 31, I'm going to go crazy!!! I do see tiny improvements, skin seems slightly clearer, pants fit a tad looser....but part of me wonders if that's just my imagination since I want to see things getting better.  Still not sure what Tiger Blood feels like....ah!!  I don't want to quit, but right now that sounds better than continuing....

Must.keep.going!!!

What day are you on?

>I don't want to quit, but right now that sounds better than continuing....

Before you started this, what were the reasons that you thought doing a W30 was better than continuing your old pattern?

• Administrators

If you're hardcore craving carbs like buns and tortillas and sugary things like hot chocolate, could it be that you aren't eating enough? Maybe post some meals, fluids and timing so that people can take a look.  The quickest way for the sugar or carb demons to wiggle their way in is when you are under nourished.

Also, if it's your period now or in the next few days, you might try increasing your starchy veggies, that helps for many women, myself included.

Kirkor - I'm on day 18!  

I started because I eat way too much ice cream, snacks, fatty stuff...want to fit in my clothes better, lose weight, and the whole idea of what could get better was intriguing and I was curious!  

ladyshanny - didn't think about possible period...problem is I never know when that will be anymore...headed into menopause :0P

Typical day of meals -

B - 3 eggs with veggies (spinachm zucchini, onion, mushrooms, peppers) sautéed in coconut oil topped with avocado and salsa 

L - Large handful of spinach, with veggies, avocado, and protein (steak, hb egg, chicken and/or shrimp) Whole30 ranch or avocado dressing 

D - potato with steak and veggies, or Whole30 taco salad.....

water when I feel like eating between meals (and with meals)

• Administrators

Hmmm...your meals look alright to me, maybe a touch more water though.  1/2 ounce per pound of body weight.

Could be "extinction burst" which is when your body and mind make a last ditch effort to convince you to take back all your old masters and mistresses.

If you're legitimately hungry, eat a mini meal (or a full one) that is balanced....the less hungry you are, the less foothold for those cravings!

I think if you are craving that much you may need to eat more. I know this goes against everything women have been told is right and proper, but I'm usually shocked when I just can't stop eating one day and the next day I'm fine or I start my period or who knows what. Some days are just hungry days.

Also, if you're not feeling well, you may need to re-train yourself regarding comfort foods. Like today I'm feeling really low energy so all I want is a starbucks mocha. I don't ever drink those regularly anymore, but my brain has a decade or more of expecting to be given something like that when my energy is low. I'm feeding my brain hard boiled eggs, which is very meh. But I'm feeling OK and retraining my brain, slowly but surely.

Here's hoping your headache feels better soon - and eat up!

Leahcarn - not many except for white and red potatoes. I don't really like sweet potatoes, except for Burgerville Sweet Potato Fries, although I am pretty sure they are not Whole30 compliant (hee,hee). I like pumpkin, but when it's sweet. Like pumpkin pie, cookies, and muffins :-)

So I'm having a really hard time trying how to fit the starchy veggies in. Help???

AprilLynne, have you tried roasting sweet potato or pumpkin?  I'm used to a sweet potato with all the "fixins"...butter, brown sugar, etc.  But when I roast sweet potato tossed in a bit of olive oil and some salt, I LOVE it.  The natural sweetness of the sweet potato with the salt...who needs sweet potato fries? 

• Moderators

You might try spaghetti squash topped with a hearty meat sauce or chili. Butternut squash, kabocha squash, acorn squash, and any other winter squash varieties that might be out there, are all good roasted. Some varieties may taste sweeter than others. The japanese sweet potatoes (white flesh with purple skin) are less sweet than regular sweet potatoes, although they're also harder to find and a bit more expensive, in my experience. 

I also like a soup made out of butternut squash -- I kind of loosely based mine on the golden cauliflower soup from The Clothes Make The Girl, but with roasted butternut squash instead of the carrots. And usually with frozen cauliflower. And sometimes other changes. But you know, loosely based on/inspired by the recipe I linked to. But there are other soups out there made from pumpkin or butternut squash, one of those might be something you like.

Definitely don't be afraid to eat when you're hungry, though. Even if it seems like you're eating a lot. 

If you have a Trader Joe's by you they have roasted mashed sweet potatoes in the frozen section that are friggin delicious! They are frozen in individual little servings so they are easy to throw into any meal or just eat them alone. They have a sweet taste to them but nothing added. The ingredients are simply sweet potatoes. 

You've gotten some excellent advice already, but I thought I'd share that I had similar cravings for chai and hot chocolate during my first W30. I found that some hot tea with coconut milk was a very satisfying substitute. It was warm, creamy and comforting. You might give that a try. I keep a little thing of coconut milk at work so I can "indulge" in a trip to Starbucks with co-workers, if need be. Sometimes this W30 can feel very isolating.

Hang in there! :-)

M

Archived