Hi everyone!

I am starting my 2nd Whole30 on November 17th- I did one in August and loved my results.  Unfortunately, with the stress of wedding planning (I got married this past weekend), I fell back into a lot of not-so-great habits. I've remained gluten and grain free for the most part, but I have added a bit too much dairy back as well as some added sugars/desserts in the form of dark chocolate (and some gluten free wedding cake).  I'm looking forward to using this Whole30 not only for food/habit issues, but also to reset my exercise, which has kind of fallen to the wayside the past few months, as well as my sleep schedule (I do so much better on 8 hours a night.. but who doesn't, right?).

The best part is I have convinced my husband (I can say that now!) to join me in this Whole30 so we will really be feeling good for our honeymoon in December.  So if anyone else is starting November 17th and wants to support each other through this journey, jump on here!

I also have type 1 diabetes, by the way, so am looking to get my blood sugars back on track, as well. 

Talk to you soon!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting on Monday too!! Congrats on the wedding bliss! I am doing it with a friend who has done the program twice before. I've tried similar stuff before but am looking forward to a reset. I need to rediscover my relationship with food. I just finished my first semester of student teaching and am half way done with my masters program so I feel like this is a good time to get a new perspective. Can't wait to support one another thru the forum!

Hello, I am starting my second round tommorow as well. I only did a whole 27 the first time so i am committed to finishing it completely the second round. I lost 13 pounds the first time but more amazing i had energy and was way less moody. I'm looking forward to that again. I love the forum and the support it provides- good luck on day one!!

I am starting today too. This is my 3rd attempt. I have a tendency to talk myself out of everything and into other things (diet programs). I am frustrated with myself and disgusted with my weight. Not only that but I struggle with depression and I think that certain foods/eating make it worse. So here I am again. My question for all of you veterans, when you finish the Whole 30 how do you continue to eat? (Or rather what)? Do you gain the weight back? 

Thanks!

Welcome to day 1, everyone!  I hope you're all feeling great and eating well and not going through withdrawal symptoms.

Sounds like everyone has good reasons for being here- for me, what I learned the most from my first Whole30 is exactly how sensitive I am to dairy (already knew about soy and gluten), how important a good sleep schedule is, and how I actually don't need to snack when I eat sufficiently at meal times.  The hardest part was probably not snacking at night since that was an evening ritual for my husband and me- I handled that problem by going to bed when he would go get a snack.  No snacking and earlier bed time, win win!  Now, he is doing whole30 with me so no nighttime snacks for him either- which means earlier bed times for both of us, most likely.  

What I find the most important is PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!  It is so much easier when you have a plan in place for what you will eat every meal of the week, and planning strategies when faced with a dinner out.  My husband is already a bit nervous because this whole30 falls on a football game/tailgating with friends, my birthday brunch, and thanksgiving but he is determined to give it his best regardless.

Nordicgiraffe and jillchambo- what do you think has been holding you back in having success with a whole30?  What seems to happen each time you try that throws you off?  Maybe if you can isolate a few factors and plan for them, you can stop some problems before they even start.  Kudos for trying again!  

Eating post whole30 is definitely my challenge- I fell off the wagon with the stress of wedding planning and, stepping on the scale this morning, gained back the 4 pounds I lost.  So.. I'm back!  My plan after this whole30 is to stay on plan except for very special occasions.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Hi Everyone,

I am starting today too and I am so glad I found you all. My first realization: I had two egg "muffins" (omlette with turkey, mushrooms, onions baked in a muffin tin) this morning and some avocado at 7am and I am still not hungry! I was so worried I would be starving around 9 or 10, I did find myself wanting to snack but not for the right reasons so I just got a cup of tea and carried on. I am looking forward to resetting my habits of eating. I was diagnosed with celiac disease about six months ago and have found it is still sneaking into my diet somehow.I am looking forward to seeing if anything else has been affecting the same way gluten has. I have had a bit of a headache today as I replaced my usual sugar filled coffee with a black tea. (Could be in my head that I miss that) How is everyone else feeling so far today?

Kayla

It's been a few different issues for me. I had very intense cravings the first time - I swear, worse than when I quit smoking.  I've been easing more and more into paleo so hopefully it won't be as much of a shock this time.  I will definitely still be dealing with stress and social pressure.  Stress leads me to junk food, and when I'm out to eat, I hate being That Girl, so end up having some of the pizza and also getting a glass of wine with everyone.  I'm doing pre-cooking so I have plenty of options, now it's just powering past that voice that says "You've been good, you're under a lot of pressure, you totally deserve a treat" - I mean, that is seriously messed up!  Junky foods shouldn't have that much power over a grown adult - but it's shocking how much I think about food.  Stressing, worrying, sneaking, guilt ... I'm sick of it.

First day going well so far - breakfast was kalua pork with brussel sprouts, broccoli and two eggs with black coffee.  Lunch is rogan josh over roasted cauliflower.  Feeling good but not terribly confident - but just continuing to refer to the book and plowing through.  One meal at a time, not worrying about tonight or tomorrow or this weekend.

Hi to all the November 17th starters,

I'm having a re-start after falling on Day 9, last week. Learning from my errors, I would say planning is key, as is remembering why you're embarking on the journey, and reminding yourself of that (forcefully!) when non-compliant food is calling your name. 

So Day 1 was fairly comfortable, aside from the usual 2pm desire to snack on something sweet. It's a purely psychological thing, as I wasn't physically hungry at all. But quashed it, and the rest of the afternoon went fine. 

I'm awaiting the same sort of Day 1-3 headache I had last time and slightly dreading it. It hasn't reared it's head yet, but maybe that'll be tomorrow!

Have prepped breakfast for the whole week, as well as salad dressing, mayo etc and stocked up with plenty of animal protein in the freezer... Day 2, I'm ready for you. 

Wishing you all well on the journey...

Nordicgiraffe- I have a lot of the same issues with my relationship with food.  I have been in therapy for over a year tackling that and similar depression issues, but the going is slow (and honestly I haven't been to see her since August.. eek!). Having my husband on board has been incredibly helpful- he has the best way of reminding me that I'll feel sick if I eat that cheese or whatever without making me resent him.

And your meals sound delicious!

Welcome, Kayla!  Hope you find some answers through this journey.  I have been gluten free (although I tested negative for celiac) for about a year.  And, I've slowly transformed most of my family into gluten free people, too.  Not surprisingly, they realized how amazing they feel without it and how crappy they feel when they eat it.  My brother still eats things with gluten somewhat often, but at least now he acknowledges it's the culprit that makes him feel like doodoo.

Welcome back, Nini!  My sweet cravings are also totally psychological and habitual.  But that doesn't make them much easier to overcome.

My meals today have been sauteed acorn squash and celery root with compliant chicken sausage and an egg for breakfast, then shepherds pie and roasted green beans from Well-Fed (best lunch I have had in months! so yummy!) and have Nom Nom Paleo's korean short ribs in the slow cooker for when I get home.  Haven't made that recipe before so hoping it comes out well!  If you have any favorite recipes, feel free to share :)

Today has been a good day so far, but as it's nearing 5pm I can feel that I'm going to be hungry soon.. determined not to snack between meals so must make it until I'm home at 7:30.  Hope you're all having great days too!

I started back on the 16th, I had almost a week done but had to attend a wedding on the 14th so threw the good choices out the window for 2 days.. Back to the start then!  On day 3 now but I'm still finding that I'm hungry all the time!  I'm not sure if it's because I'm thinking about food all the time or if I'm actually hungry.  I do try the cold water or herbal tea and sometimes it works.  I'm not craving the sweet stuff at all but I'm fed up with feeling empty.  Not sure if I'm eating enough food at each meal, I always feel quite satisfied but only for a short time after eating. 

It's also very hard to find some of the compliant foods here in my home town.  I can't source any of the bacon and finding coconut milk with no stabilizers is proving extremely difficult!!  

Hi everyone!

My name is Sarah, and I also started my Whole 30 yesterday. It's my first! My sister is also doing the Whole 30, and several family members and friends have done it before, so I'm excited to start.

I'm a total sugar addict, and I feel better when I've cut out all sugar and sweeteners from my diet, so I'm excited to do it again. Like many of you, I'm trying to remedy my relationship with food, and I needed a fresh start.

My first day yesterday went well. I was frustrated this morning because I thought the chicken sausage I had bought was compliant, but in re-reading the ingredients, soon realized it was not. Sad! Luckily, I stocked up and had several options available. I'm excited to try a few new recipes this week, like Against All Grain's Banana Nut Porridge, and cashew hummus (so good!).

Love hearing about everyone's recipe ideas and experiences!

I began yesterday, and am struggling already! I am sooo hungry. I have been eating ALMOST Whole 30 for several months but I sneak in forbidden foods like granola and chocolate almonds. I have developed a tremor and am experiencing extreme fatigue. The Whole30 is my last resort before turning to the medical community. Hunger is my challenge. I need some snacks!

Ppnelson - are you eating enough at your meals? It's only my 2nd day so I'm not the expert, but yesterday I was feeling hungry still after some of my planned meals, so today, I upped some of my portions of protein, added avocado or olives to meals, etc.

For snacks, some things I picked up were lots of raw nuts, fresh fruits/veggies, almond butter, and beef/turkey jerky (found a few at Sprouts and Whole Foods that are compliant). I also made hummus with a raw cashew base (something like this: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/09/raw-cashew-hummus.html) and have been eating it with cucumbers and carrots.

Hey everyone!

Welcome Sarah! I hope you have a great experience.

Susan and ppnelson- definitely sounds like both of you might not be eating enough. If you have the right portions you should be able to go between meals without snacks, unless you are active or working out. Try posting some sample meals- maybe we can help. Are you sticking to the whole30 template in terms of amounts of veggies, protein and healthy fat at each meal?

Day 2 is good so far. Husband is definitely having a harder time than I am- he complained all the way to bed last night about not having his nightly apple and peanut butter and dark chocolate, and is now a bit whiny about not putting any sweetener in his coffee (he's a starbucks mocha kind of guy). Trying to be supportive but might just have to tell him to man up!

We are off to run- check in later!

Ps- the short rib recipe came out amazingggg

Hello! I started my first Whole30 on Monday with my son, who is on his 4th Whole30 program. He talked me into it! and I am sticking with it although it was hard earlier today. So I got up and ate a whole avocado like he said, and finished some hot curry chicken - carrot soup, and I feel a lot better now.  :rolleyes:

Hello All:

Disclaimer, I have never before in my life used a forum, so we'll see how this goes:) I'm a few days behind most of you, starting Wednesday the 19th. My personal challenge will be work and holiday parties-I have a super intense work deadline coming up December 6th that is literally giving me nightmares, and a string up upcoming holiday parties. BUT, there is always a reason why it's too hard, so I'm starting now.

I'm not new to paleo, but have never really given up dairy, which tends to be my comfort food.

I'm a fairly serious cyclist, even in the winter (coldest ride this year = 15 degrees...) and so the first few weeks of this will be challenging in that department as well. But I do know from experience that the better your body gets at burning fat the better endurance and strength you have. It's just the resetting that's hard.

My big goal with all the work/social stuff is to focus on enjoying the people (socially) instead of focusing on the treats, and enjoying the satisfaction of getting stuff done (work wise) instead of trying to bury myself in munching to avoid what I'm stressed about.

Good luck to all!

Happy Day 3!  Yesterday went surprisingly well for me.  The only major struggle was smelling microwave popcorn from down the hall mid-afternoon.  Cruel!  This morning my mind keeps drifting to a sugary beverage from the coffee shack down the street.  I had cut way back on these prior to starting the whole 30 this time, but my sugar dragon is pleading for a hit.  Herbal tea to the rescue!

Welcome stravajunkie - my boyfriend is also a cyclist :) And I use Strava for running! Dairy is also something I love, and I've never given up gluten or dairy before, so this is definitely going to be interesting! I had a lot of the same excuses regarding the holidays, but you're right, there's always something "hard" in the way - you pick your hard!

NordicGiraffe - I keep tons of tea at work, too. My sugar cravings haven't been too bad as of yet, but I'm anticipating them getting worse as the "novelty" of all this wears off.  

susanleona - your breakfast sounds good! I did a breakfast "salad" with microgreens, lemon, evoo, 1/2 avocado, and hard boiled egg this morning, plus a nut porridge from Against All Grain. I never eat that much for breakfast, and I never put that much avocado on anything until now, but I'm really trying to do something that will keep me full until lunch as well!

Hope everyone's Day 3 is great! I'm getting excited about some Whole30 Thanksgiving recipes I want to try :)

Thanks Sarahek211, I managed to make it to 1pm without eating in between.  But I did have a second coffee so I'm sure that curbed my appetite!   For lunch I had a huge salad and added a FULL avocado instead of half.  Had a dinner of homemade sausages, broccoli and 2 small baby potatoes.  Pretty full now but the munchies will surely show their faces around 9pm :(  

Lorelle- Welcome to Whole30 and this group!  Hope you get out of it as much as your son does.

Susan- way to go on finding a breakfast that satisfied you until lunch.  How did post-dinner go?  9pm is when my munchies show up, too, so that's when I've been taking myself to bed.

Welcome stravajunkie!  I'll be interested to hear how whole30 affects your workouts and cycling.

Sarah- how did you feel after such a big breakfast?  How long were you satisfied for?  I found avocado was a great satiator for me, but I think I overdid it on the avocado last whole30 and I kind of need a break from it, now.  Using coconut milk, coconut oil, and ghee for my healthy fats.

Day 3 is going well so far.  The hardest parts of my day are always between lunch and dinner, around 5-6pm, and after dinner.  After dinner has been easier as long as I go to bed once the munchies hit.  Between lunch and dinner is a bit harder, but I feel like I need to eat something, I try to keep it protein and small.

Husband is still struggling without sweetener in his coffee and without his late night snack... He is also upset because this whole30 is over Thanksgiving.  I'm almost at the point of telling him not to do it if it's really making him this upset and to do a whole30 starting in January...  On the plus side, we are bringing a compliant green bean casserole, cranberries, zucchini pesto rollups, and fruit to thanksgiving so there will be plenty of eat with the turkey!

Archived