Hi! I started on November 17th as well. A little about me:

I finished my first Whole30 flawlessly in July/Aug. I felt wonderful, lost a few extra pounds that helped slim down my figure, and loved how "clean" I felt afterwards. No more bloat or tummy aches and it confirmed I am sensitive to dairy.

However, within a few weeks, I reverted back to my unheathy eating habits -- eating cleaning when I'm at home but anytime I'm at a social gathering or restaurant, I overeat and leave feeling sick, fat, and guilty. So I tried THREE times to start a 2nd Whole30 but the social gatherings kept happening and I couldn't say "No" despite the mental preparation and determination to stay on track!

So, here I am! It's been three days and I'm doing great but it's because I haven't had temptations put in front of me. 

I also have a hard time because I'm a pescatarian so fish/eggs are really my only source of protein. I am a heavy exerciser so I feel like I need to be eating more but I start to gain weight if I up my calories. 

Anyways, sorry for the ramblings. Congrats to everyone... only 27 more days!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, good job everybody. Julibug I know how it can go with husbands. My husband eats more or less paleo, often less, but he wouldn't do something this 'extreme'. But I know from experience how much better I'll feel if I just suck it up and quit making excuses. I agree with everyone on the 'munchies' thing. It's almost like what I've heard about people having a "phantom limb" feeling a leg or arm that's been amputated etc. I'm not hungry at all-my stomach is full, I don't have any other signs of hunger, but I have this gnawing sensation of WANTING something sugary. Tea with cream and sugar, cookies whatever. As long as it has that magic (lethal) combo of flour/sugar/fat it looks like it will fill the void-the void that isn't really there. BUT I also know from experience how quickly I'll feel shaky and gross, and then soooo tired...looking for a place to sleep off the food hangover.

My tactic, that I'm slowly getting better at, is to immediately ask myself "what non-food form of comfort or pleasure can I have" (a movie, a craft, a good book, good conversation, a bath, a foot rub, SLEEP, etc.). This takes my focus off the ONE form of pleasure I can't have-sugar. That leaves like, oh, 90 million alternatives and helps me feel a lot less sorry for myself.

My two cents for the day :) Carry on everyone!

julibug22 - it went pretty well, I definitely stayed fuller for a longer time after breakfast. I've eaten a total of 1 avocado today, which is a lot for me - but it definitely is keeping me full. I also did kalamata olives on my dinner salad, and I've also been using coconut oil, EVOO, ghee (love ghee!)... It's a bit freeing I find to not worry about calories and stuff and just trust that I'm putting good things in my body :)

Definitely felt a bit sluggish and some stomach discomfort today, but that's supposed to be part of the program Day 3 right? It was also a super slow work day, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Blech. I still felt good on my run today!

Good job everyone :)

Hi julibug, post dinner went the same way as usual. . I did have a rather large handful of whole almonds to fill the gap. Along with herbal tea and cold water.

Very tired today and feeling run down. Not enjoying it. I find myself stuck to the bed in the mornings. A big part of doing this was to feel rested and ready for the day not sluggish and "meh" :/

Good morning! I'm on day 2 and I think the rest of you all are on day 4, so I'm not feeling the crash (when your body realizes no, she isn't going to feed me sugar) yet. Have you guys read the "whole30 timeline"? Susanleona you might find it helpful, I did at any rate. It describes day by day what you might be feeling for the 30 day period, so you don't get so frustrated by not feeling great immediately. I just read it and I think I'll be going back to reference it. You can just do a google search to find it.

I'm planning on some stew for tonight. We have a large family and live on a ranch of sorts, so by the time evening comes around I do not have energy to be creative. My crockpot and I have a very long standing relationship! Hot meat and vegetable stew will make everybody happy and my life easy.

Good luck for the day.

Hello all - I'm on Day 2 of my second Whole30.  

Right now I'm struggling with hunger (breakfast was a pretty decent sized piece of leftover steak and a pear).  I know from experience that once I'm past the first few days, that will easily hold me until lunch, but I could eat All The Foods right about now.  I'm trying to remind myself that this will pass and that I have a lovely lunch to look forward to (leftover Thai Basil Beef and cauli rice).  We have a great turkey breast in the crockpot for dinner tonight.

One thing that I learned the first time is how important it is to plan... and when we stopped planning post W30, we fell very far off the wagon.  This time we're using www.plantoeat.com - definitely helping us stay organized.

The husband is on board as well... but refuses to skip his daily weigh-in.  He's otherwise on board, so it's hard to complain, but I was tempted to hide the scale!

Woohoo Day 4!

Susanleona - I agree, take a look at the Whole30 timeline. I was feeling sluggish yesterday too, today is a bit better. It's definitely an adjustment going from all the sugar I typically ate to much more fats/protein. I'm telling myself if I can get through this first week or two, I can do it! :) You guys can too!

Well, how is everyone doing? I'm starting day 3. I feel fine this morning, but truth be known I had WAY too much dried fruit and nut mix yesterday (homemade, no sugar, but the point of this program is not to exist on 'healthy' snack food). So I don't think I'm hitting the wall yet energy wise because my body is still running on sugar...

Tonight I have a ladies night out/birthday party event so I'm mentally prepping myself to do a lot of tea and black coffee sipping-I don't think there will be a lot of other options.

I decided to just skip most of my workout/riding stuff this first week, because I started this program once before and I think the *so ravenous I could literally chew the walls down* hunger I experienced was partly from exercising too much before my body had learned to tap into fat. I couldn't seem to eat enough good stuff to actually feel satisfied and not on the verge of passing out.

So, marching on this morning. Good luck with your day!

Day 5 for me! According to the timeline, I should be cranky and wanting to "kill all the things" today, but I'm not feeling that so much. Just feeling a bit tired in general, but I think that's as much a result of work just dragging this week as much as it is my body adjusting to fat over sugar as fuel.

I've been exercising almost as much as I normally do this week - I'm a runner, but I'm not really training for anything right now, and I did that on purpose starting this program. I've been feeling like I don't want to work out this week, but once I do, I'm generally okay. I'll see how it goes this weekend when I do my slightly longer run, I might bring some LaraBar or something with me as I run in case I'm totally dragging.

In terms of fruit, dried fruit and nuts - since this is my first Whole 30, I'm trying to cut myself a little slack. I'm definitely not sitting at my desk with a bag of trail mix snacking all day (in fact, not really snacking much at all except pre/post workout), but if I have a little dried fruit or an apple or something with/after lunch or dinner, I'm trying to be okay with it :)

Day three for me, and a mild low grade headache. I usually am just a voyeur on these blogs, but I thought I would jump in and try to stay inspired. I have only successfully completed 1 whole 30 about a year ago. Since then I have started several and on about day 9 something gives.  I am trying to kill my sugar dragon..I have a very big sweet tooth.  I am committed this time because in 29 days I am on a plane to Maui. The last time I did the whole 30 I really did feel great and I lost some weight as a bonus. The best part of the whole 30 for me is the clear mind, good sleep, and the easy waking up.  FYI: I am going on a big trail run tomorrow in Alaska because we have ZERO snow and it has been sunny and warm.  

No salt! I ate too many sunflower seeds, but I was grateful for the lack of salt - I would've eaten a sinkful if it had salt on it! 

Thank you everyone, this is my first forum and first Whole30 and your notes are making it awesome! I felt a little yucky last few days with sneezing and allergy type things, but today, I have not sneezed once! and it's cold out here, for Bullhead City, Arizona - all of 60 something degrees. 

You're Awesome! we are all Awesome for taking on this plan and doing a healthy program, this is so good for us! Thank you and Stick with IT!

Looks like everyone had a busy weekend.  I hope you all didn't fall off the bandwagon.  Day five is complete.  The main difference for me in this whole 30 from my  last full whole 30's and my attempts is that I feel like I have the energy to exercise.  Yesterday I had a great run with lots of energy and felt awesome.  Today I went for a longer run and my legs felt like lead. I have read in other posts of people feeling like this when they exercise. That wasn't my main problem though it is when I got home I completely bonked, (felt nauseous and very weak). I had an apple to tide me over while I was making a quick chicken and broccoli dinner. I need to read up on fuel for exercising. Anyways on to day 6!

Hi,

I did not fall off the wagon this weekend, yay! Including going to a baby shower in which there were cupcakes (LOVE) and a make-your-own candy bag as a favor. And wine! I ate before and after the shower, and managed to stick to iced tea and water, as well as some fruit and chicken, throughout. Success!

Oh my gosh, I had an instance of legs feeling like lead while running this weekend, too. I did 3 miles last Thursday (day 4) and it was not so bad... but then when I did 6 miles this Saturday (day 6), I felt awful! So sluggish and tired. If I wasn't running with a friend, no way I would have done 6. I've been ok in yoga classes though, but running is just so much endurance and requires a lot of your body. I'm resting today since I'm doing a Turkey Trot 10k on Thursday. Hopefully as this program goes on and my body adjusts, running will get easier!

Hope all are having a great week so far!

Day 6 almost in the bag...drinking tea and planning on going to bed early.  Work days are definitely easier to stay on track for me. Not going to lie..I really want some of the popcorn my family is having right now.  

Glad I'm not the only one with lead legs.  I read that I should of eaten a starchy vegetable after my long run.  Next time sweet potatoes or carrots instead of an apple.

Keep it up everyone!

I'm on day 7 now. I'm happy to have made it this far, but unhappy with the fact that on a lot of those days I existed mostly on nuts with an occasional green salad thrown in. To be honest, to have even survived some of the "all day brainstorming sessions in the presence of pizza" situations is semi miraculous, but I know I would feel better and be getting a better response from my body if I was eating lots of veggies and lean protein instead of a Costco bucket o' nuts.

Because of the work chaos, I haven't been able to ride much. I did go on a quick 30 something mile ride on Sunday with some pretty significant climbing. I felt a bit sluggish at the beginning, but didn't have any notable problems.

I think my most difficult moments are getting up from dinner without something sweet to finish it off (I tend to keep eating ANYTHING that's "allowed" sort of searching for that sugar rush) and sitting down in the later evening to relax, again, without that cup of sweet tea or coffee (yes, my husband and I are pretty immune to caffeine at this point-probably a problem that will need to be addressed in the future :) ).

Is there anyone on this thread that would want to commit to a daily post-even maybe a daily food list-for the next 7 days? I have to be honest, I'm a pumpkin pie/egg nog/Grandma's Holiday crunch bars junkie, and could use some accountability over this weekend :)

Hi everyone,

Hope those of you with "lead legs" figure out the right food combo to help you out with your exercise!  I'm definitely thinking following the whole30 advice of protein and starchy veg either before or after should help you!

I have been on track with eating... not so much with exercise.  I honestly think I am bored, but having been a 5-6 times a week exerciser for the past 8 years, this is definitely the first and hardest time I have fallen off the wagon with exercising, averaging 1-2 times a week currently.  Not sure why that is or how to remotivate myself... Part of it is probably boredom, part of it was craziness with wedding planning, and part of it is a hectic work schedule.  But i've always been SO good at regular exercising- maybe I'm burnt out?  I'm thinking of doing a trial at a corepower yoga studio by me.. hoping something new will help!

Food wise, I've been doing well, despite a plethora of temptation this weekend.  Saturday was my birthday, so it was very hard not to have something sweet to celebrate- I settled with some homemade applesauce.  Sunday we had brunch with husband's parents to celebrate birthdays again, and there was cake and bagels and all kinds of goodies and I totally resisted.  Last night we had slow cooker stew which was delicious, but not enough veggies because I was still a bit hungry after my bowl.  Had some pecans and carrots and was satisfied (but I think I overdid it on the pecans, so need to aim for more veggies from the start tonight).

Husband continues to whine every night.. I told him not to do it if it's driving him this crazy but now he's determined.. just says he will whine along the way :)

Hope you are all feeling good!

Day 7 complete! I will commit to writing daily. It is going to be hard for me this weekend as well.  I can post my food log, but let me warn you I am no Martha Stewart. Today I had 2 hard boiled eggs and grapefruit for breakfast (can't stomach veggies in the morning), lunch was a spinach salad,with lots of chopped veggies, olives, and chicken. Also a side of steamed butternut squash (Costco has organic pre cut packages..so easy to grab and prep) with cinnamon.  Dinner was more difficult since we went out to eat.  I had a burger (no bun :( or cheese :(( )with a side salad (no dressing). I think tomorrow will be easier on me than today..but then Thursday.  I am still looking forward to a lot of my favorites turkey, green beans, sweet potatoes...but I know I will miss cranberry sauce, rolls, and pumpkin pie.  SIGH....oh well its just 23 more days and I can return to that. I am thankful for my family being in town. 

My pants do feel a bit looser which is keeping me going.  Not real tired, but maybe a bit cranky.  I start to feel sorry for myself since I am depriving myself, but then I think if this is hard imagine what it would be like to be really ill or trying to tackle a major addiction.

Anyways thanks for your posts. They are keeping me going, especially since I want to be accountable every day here. Good luck all and stay strong.  You made a commitment to yourself. You can do it.

Today is my day four and so far this hasn't been bad at all. I have t tried any fancy recipes, just eating very simply. I am working long hours on a huge project for my school do I battle with fatigue and stress - making bad choices! Sugar and bread are my go to drugs, but as I age, I'm now 53, these kinds of foods make me feel all swollen, cranky and unhappy.

My history has always been trying to lose 10 pounds. When I tell people I'm taking the 30 day challenge, they laugh and basically offer me a cupcake! It's frustrating because they don't understand when I try to tell them that there are many days I don't feel like I belong in my own skin. I've always been a runner, but over a year ago I started battling plantar fasciitis. I have noticed that the swelling and pain has lessened a great deal even after day 2 of eating clean. That is a miracle to me. I hoping that this helps speed my recovery and I can make it through to December 1 without any setbacks. Thanksgiving is going to bea challenge, but we are eati gat someone else's house so I think that will help a lot. I will bring some snacks to supplement with if there are not some healthy choices.

Wish me luck,

Hi guys (gals? In my part of the country guys = non gender specific pronoun :))

Wow Julibug22-you made it through your OWN birthday celebration. I'm impressed and inspired. One of my kids has a birthday coming up, and I've been psyching myself up to stay out of the cake...but if you can manage to stick to it on your own birthday, I can certainly suck it up and live one more day without frosting. I'm pretty sure there are harder things in life, but it causes great internal whining on my part.

AK ski, I love the "no Martha Stewart" comment. You will understand when you see my food list from yesterday....

Pmoe1300, hang in there. I think some people just don't experience the same food sensitivities, or have never had food issues of any kind (emotional eating etc) and they just don't understand the desire to not always be wrestling with that stuff. Or they're in denial-also possible :)

One of the really interesting things I'm finding is how much this pushes me out of my comfort zone to find means of soothing and relaxing myself that aren't food related. I got home last night so tired and tense I was almost shaking, but because I didn't have the option of either cream and sugar with a little tea in it, or a few large pieces of cake, I had to get creative. This may sound silly, but for me to take a hot shower, and sit down to just REST (which is what I needed-and only happened after getting 6 kids dinner and tidying the house and firing off a few more emails-life after all, isn't perfect) is pretty revolutionary. But the amazing thing (to me) is that it actually WORKED-I did feel better. I did get that sense of relief I was looking for, without using food as a crutch, and without waking up this morning with huge regret and the weight of having to 'start over'-again.

Soooo.....since life isn't all rainbows and unicorns, the following is my food list from yesterday:

Breakfast: large handful of nuts

Lunch: Broccoli salad with 4 eggs

Dinner: (prior to getting home) dried nectarines and some leftover hamburger (lets be honest, the nectarines, although homemade with no sugar, probably equaled about 5 pieces of fruit, un-dried. I'm still not hungry this morning-it was a 'working on a computer project, using food to focus, Oh My Gosh IS THAT BAG REALLY empty type situation.)

Today should be a lot calmer. I'm going to focus on some fresh vegetables (which I like anyway) and lots of good protein, and, personal goal-NO NUTS OR DRIED FRUIT. Good heavens, I may turn into a cashew if I don't address this.

Good luck everybody! Can't wait to hear how it goes.... 

Hi everyone, happy day before Thanksgiving to those of you in the US (are there UK people here too?)! I can also commit to posting daily.

Great job to you guys who got through Birthday and other celebrations! I avoided cupcakes at a baby shower this weekend, that was rough! I can relate to that internal "whining" you guys are feeling. For me, it's a latte! I want one! However, I did get Thai for dinner Monday. I was proud of myself for asking the waiter whether the curries had added sugar - unfortunately yes. But they recommended to me a beef and veggie stir fry made with chili paste and sautéed in oil, and I ordered that without rice. Delicious!

AK ski - nothing much we can do about rolls and pumpkin pie, but there are some cranberry sauce recipes sweetened with 100% apple juice out there. Whole 9 had one and so did Nom Nom Paleo. Let me know if you want links, or google those :) I'll be making one tomorrow!

My dilemma is now that my mom, who usually eats Paleo, made a "whole30 compliant" pumpkin pie with my sister and I in mind, it's sweetened with dates and has an almond meal crust, etc. I don't think she knows about the "no making paleo treats" rule... but it's Thanksgiving and this is my first Whole30. So I'll probably have a little, because she worked really hard to make that. I don't want to beat myself up badly over these things, since it's Thanksgiving.

My other dilemma is I do feel like I'm eating more dried fruit than I should be. I know I shouldn't be using it to sub for treats, which I've done a little, but again - there are already so many restrictions, I don't really know how crazy I want to make myself over imposing restriction on top of restriction, especially since I do exercise a lot. You know? But that being said, I do want to stop those sugar cravings! I have not been doing anything sweet after lunch, which to me, is a little victory, so here's to that :)

Anyway, with keeping in the theme of staying accountable, here was yesterday's menu more or less:

Breakfast: 2 eggs with Chicken Sausage/Spinach, Against All Grain Banana Nut Porridge

L: Paleo Salmon Cakes, Applegate Farms Hot Dogs, Sweet Potato with Ghee, Broccoli/Green Beans

Pre WO: Apple with almond butter, turkey breast

Post WO: Remaining apple with almond butter/turkey breast, dried mango (unsweetened/unsulfured), some raw cashews with raisins

D: Salad with chicken breast, boiled egg, olives, homemade dressing, plantain chips; two dates

Hey @sarahek211- I was lurking and saw your post. I too am an avid workout person and know the need for some good pre and post workout foods... I do know that I got much better results when i stuck with the template and didn't eat fruit as my pre or post workout meal.  I know it seems hard, but I find a hard boiled egg or two and some nuts before I work out and then some protein after. It may also help to get rid of the sugar cravings and help you not feel the need to snack on dried fruit. Not trying to be a crazy whole30er, but speaking from experience. Today is my Day 30 and I ran my fastest mile this year on day 28 and just increased my max benchpress by 10 pounds and my max dealift by 20. My favorite post workout snack is so protein (hb egg, salmon, chicken) and some roasted red skinned potatoes... man they just hit the spot perfectly!!!

That Thai dish you ordered sounded great! Keep up the good work!!!

Archived