Fighting Cravings

runboston18

Hello All :-) I am on day 13 and have found myself craving ice cream for the past week. Thankfully, I have not given in, but there are nights where I feel like I don't care if I give up and try to convince myself to just eat the ice cream!!!

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to make it past this point? Anything that will make it easier or how to avoid giving in?

Thanks so much!!!

• Moderators

Make sure you're eating enough at every meal, including plenty of fat, which helps keep you satiated between meals. And don't be afraid to have starchy veggies, Whole30 isn't designed to be particularly low-carb -- a serving a day works for most people, have more if you're active, pregnant, breastfeeding, trying to gain/not lose weight. During the week or so leading up to your period, you may find you need even more food in general, and in particular, more carbs, so therefore more starchy vegetables. Google Whole30 PMS to find more about that, and especially look for a discussion titled PMS and Carbohydrate Cravings from a couple of years ago -- it has an explanation of the science behind this and also reassurances that it's normal. There are also more recent discussions about it as well, but that one sums it up nicely. (I would normally link to it, but I'm at work, where, for some reason, copying and pasting don't work on this site. Pretty sure our IT department needs to run some updates.)

Hi runboston18! I use all of the above plus a trick that sounds crazy but works for me. You know those logic puzzle books? I sit down and try to solve one. It keeps my brain busy until the craving passes. Sometimes I just want to relax without physically being busy :) It sounds strange but you never know!

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you made it.   I guess it could be worse...this person is addicted to eating rolls of toilet paper. !?!   :P  I think she's looking for fiber in all of the wrong places.

• Eats eight sheets when she visits the toilet, getting through a roll a day
  • Has one loo roll to use normally and one for eating 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2868198/Mother-five-addicted-eating-TOILET-PAPER-25-year-old-gets-entire-loo-roll-day-developing-bizarre-cravings-pregnancy.html

She feels a bit flushed after eating through a whole roll.   :D  :P  :D 

Archived