Coconut Butter struggle!

laurlew12

I tried making my own coconut butter last night. I used the recipe I found on a blog (Nom Nom Paleo) which is 8 oz of shredded coconut, a tablespoon of melted coconut oil, and a pinch of salt. I have a Ninja blender (Ninja Mega Kitchen System) and that sucker destroys things but I could not make the coconut form into a paste! I even added more oil to see if that would help change the consistency but it basically just became cocounut powder. I tried blending it for at least 10 minutes and nothing. I was pretty dissapointed because I heard coconut butter is delicious and it's much cheaper to make it yourself.

Any tips from people who have made coconut butter themselves?

I have made coconut butter once.  And I used a plain old food processor.  But I was disappointed as the coconut flakes I used were not super great quality and therefore the coconut butter tasted a wee bit "off"

I followed Primal Girl's recipe.  Which basically suggested the use of fresh coconut.  Either that or use finely grated coconut. Don't use toasted coconut flakes or regular coconut flakes.  (I don't know the why).

It took at least 20-25 minutes for it to become coconut butter-esque.  But it still remained gritty (I blamed this on my inadequate slower machine) an not smooth.

So all in all I was disappointed and didn't try it again.  But I have been thinking of trying it again more recently as I simply love coconut butter and you're right - it is pricey stuff.

Archived