Accidental slip up - sulphites in balsamic - do I have to re-start?

Hi, 

I'm on day 7 and had lunch at a friend's today. I thought all was compliant but then realised that the balsamic vinegar she used on the veg contains sulphites.

Do I need to start over? I'm so annoyed as it was going so well, and I was finding it pretty easy.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.  :)

Claire

• Moderators

There are three additives specifically warned against in the Whole30 rules - MSG, carageenan, and added sulphites. They are a big deal and they push the reset button for you. 

Now let's clarify that we are talking about added sulphites and not naturally occurring sulphites. Grape products produce naturally occurring sulphites. These are okay. The problem is added sulphites. Some vendors add them as a preservative to make their product last longer before spoiling. The problem is that these added sulphites pickle your gut in a bad way. If the bottle of vinegar has a note that says, "Contains naturally occurring sulphites." you are okay. However, if the ingredient label includes sulphites as an ingredient, that product is a problem. 

• 4 months later...

On the Dijon Mustard thread and I have to ask because I can't stop thinking about it. While eating a completely compliant meal I mistakenly grabbed and used the wrong mustard (I had 2 compliant ones available but just wasnt thinking. One tablespoon max but it contained both white wine and sugar. I'm on Day 9 and have a strict calendar that wouldn't allow me to start a whole30 again for a long time, though I'm hoping to stick with the principles long after. I'm already paying for it with my stomach aches. Do I need to reset for this mistake? Thanks!

On the Dijon Mustard thread and I have to ask because I can't stop thinking about it. While eating a completely compliant meal I mistakenly grabbed and used the wrong mustard (I had 2 compliant ones available but just wasnt thinking. One tablespoon max but it contained both white wine and sugar. I'm on Day 9 and have a strict calendar that wouldn't allow me to start a whole30 again for a long time, though I'm hoping to stick with the principles long after. I'm already paying for it with my stomach aches. Do I need to reset for this mistake? Thanks!

Read this article and then decide. 

Archived