What's everyone cooking up for Thanksgiving?

NinaJ

Hola Y'all!

I have two Thanksgiving parties to attend and am trying to figure out what to bring. Need to bring sides to both.

What's everyone else cooking up?

I was thinking some type of sweet potato side and maybe the stuffing recipe from Whole30...idk. The second party has picky eaters...I mean grown folks who don't eat their veggies. :o

Someone posted this stuffing recipe the other day, and it looks quite yummy: http://zenbellyblog.com/2012/11/13/its-beginning-to-smell-a-lot-like-thanksgiving/

For your picky eaters, you could make mashed potatoes with ghee or clarified butter and some nice herbs.

Consider meatballs for a unique side: these Moroccan Meatballs from Well Fed are one of my favorites: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/03/05/mmmmm-moroccan-meatballs/

I'm hosting guests, so it is a mix of tradition and template.  Antipasto with meats, cheeses(!) and roasted veggies, crackers(!), fruit, whole nuts to crack, and crudite with homemade avocado-based veggie dip at arrival. An hour later a tapas style Italian tasting course with shrimp scampi using zoodles, a meatball, and a Mediterranean eggplant salad each separated by broiled prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Two hours later PaleoPot's roasted pumpkin coconut soup. Half hour later the bird, Alton Brown's whipped potatoes, our guests' sweet potatoes smothered in marshmallows(!), NomNom's root mash, Zenbelly's pork hash, my standard cornbread(!) sausage apple cranberry stuffing in the bird, my own gravy but likely using an arrowroot roux, NomNom's cran-cherry sauce, Alton Brown's green bean casserole and brussels sprouts saute recipes, modded as needed.  Guests' pumpkin pie and I haven't decided what I'm doing for dessert yet since we typically each do one and have tasting portions.

So far I've made all of these except the pork hash, cran-cherry sauce and Alton's two green veggie recipes.  I tried NomNom's umami gravy recipe twice and while I liked the taste I didn't like the color or consistency, it was grey and pasty even if I thinned it and I thoroughly soaked and rinsed the dried porcinis.  The root mash is great, that made it into the list that hits the table.  The soup is freakin epic.  I also find the Alton recipes easily modifiable, and he avoids processed shortcuts.  How many green bean casserole recipes are there that use a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and French's fried onions?

I'm hosting guests, so it is a mix of tradition and template.  Antipasto with meats, cheeses(!) and roasted veggies, crackers(!), fruit, whole nuts to crack, and crudite with homemade avocado-based veggie dip at arrival. An hour later a tapas style Italian tasting course with shrimp scampi using zoodles, a meatball, and a Mediterranean eggplant salad each separated by broiled prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Two hours later PaleoPot's roasted pumpkin coconut soup. Half hour later the bird, Alton Brown's whipped potatoes...

What a beautiful Thanksgiving Dinner.   I would like to be under your wing, in your kitchen and at your table.

thanks.gif

I'm hosting guests, so it is a mix of tradition and template.  Antipasto with meats, cheeses(!) and roasted veggies, crackers(!), fruit, whole nuts to crack, and crudite with homemade avocado-based veggie dip at arrival. An hour later a tapas style Italian tasting course with shrimp scampi using zoodles, a meatball, and a Mediterranean eggplant salad each separated by broiled prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Two hours later PaleoPot's roasted pumpkin coconut soup. Half hour later the bird, Alton Brown's whipped potatoes, our guests' sweet potatoes smothered in marshmallows(!), NomNom's root mash, Zenbelly's pork hash, my standard cornbread(!) sausage apple cranberry stuffing in the bird, my own gravy but likely using an arrowroot roux, NomNom's cran-cherry sauce, Alton Brown's green bean casserole and brussels sprouts saute recipes, modded as needed.  Guests' pumpkin pie and I haven't decided what I'm doing for dessert yet since we typically each do one and have tasting portions.

So far I've made all of these except the pork hash, cran-cherry sauce and Alton's two green veggie recipes.  I tried NomNom's umami gravy recipe twice and while I liked the taste I didn't like the color or consistency, it was grey and pasty even if I thinned it and I thoroughly soaked and rinsed the dried porcinis.  The root mash is great, that made it into the list that hits the table.  The soup is freakin epic.  I also find the Alton recipes easily modifiable, and he avoids processed shortcuts.  How many green bean casserole recipes are there that use a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and French's fried onions?

This is very fancy. In my family growing up there was green bean casserole made from cans of stuff. And the pie was served, always, with Cool Whip.

Your menu sounds FANTASTIC.

This is very fancy. In my family growing up there was green bean casserole made from cans of stuff. And the pie was served, always, with Cool Whip.

Your menu sounds FANTASTIC.

I was raised on Thanksgiving from a can and loved it.  The cranberry sauce was usually served so that you could still recognize the wavy impressions made by the can.  I liked souped green beans, but my favorite was creamed peas and onions.  A jar of Aunt Nellie's pearl onions, a can of peas, a can of cream of celery soup.

I have a roasting pan that is older than me that I use for the Thanksgiving turkey and that has been used for the turkey for two generations.  Every time I take it out, I remember the holidays as a kid.  That's a tradition I can carry forward even as I leave processed foods behind.  It's become such a tradition that I use it for nothing else.  We joke about it, singing like a choir as I bring it down from its shelf while we shield our eyes from the sunbeams radiating from it.

I was raised on Thanksgiving from a can and loved it.  The cranberry sauce was usually served so that you could still recognize the wavy impressions made by the can.  I liked souped green beans, but my favorite was creamed peas and onions.  A jar of Aunt Nellie's pearl onions, a can of peas, a can of cream of celery soup.

I have a roasting pan that is older than me that I use for the Thanksgiving turkey and that has been used for the turkey for two generations.  Every time I take it out, I remember the holidays as a kid.  That's a tradition I can carry forward even as I leave processed foods behind.  It's become such a tradition that I use it for nothing else.  We joke about it, singing like a choir as I bring it down from its shelf while we shield our eyes from the sunbeams radiating from it.

Sleeve, you radiate sunbeams...

germany-sun-rays-1-1152x864.jpg

I enjoy taking a trip down your memory lane.   Pearl onions and frozen green peas were my aunt's speciality.  She was the worst cook in the entire world.   We always dreaded going to her house for Thanksgiving.   The turkey was never done and her peas were hard as rocks.  I still shiver with the dread of going over there.

My mother is the best cook in the world.  Homemade everything.   Rolls, dressing, turkey, potatoes, gravy, pies, green beans..yams, vege horsdeurves.  My Uncle Riri lived for my mother's cooking as he had to constantly eat my aunt's undercooked everything.   :P  :P  :P 

Archived