After whole 30-food addictions

Kaypentz

Just curious, not sure where this would go under but with someone who has had previous binge eating disorders I'm wondering how someone doesn't go in to a "relapse" once they've completed. Doing a whole 30 and feeling restricted might send someone to binge eat. I'm just wondering if it's possible to over come this?

This is highly individual. I have had a long history of binge eating but making to switch to Paleo in both emotional and physical senses seems to have mostly cured me. What I mean by this is the change in foods made me understand what my triggers and foods without brakes were. But I also spent some time dealing with my view of food having moral implications, which it doesn't. This allowed me to let go of Whole30 being restricted...I could eat anything I wanted but I was choosing not to. Food being a choice = power in choosing. Does that make sense? The other thing that helped me personally was doing very careful reintroductions so I knew what was and wasn't worth it. 

Again, everyone's context is different, but this was mine. 

• Moderators

Two things on this for me:

1. Whole 30/9 has made me so hyper aware of nutrition and health that I'm much less likely to make damaging food choices like bingeing--especially on crap that isn't real food. It has also made me aware of how what I eat directly and immediately affects how I feel, and I like feeling good, so that curbs bingeing--especially on crap that isn't real food.

2. I have discovered that binge eating behavior for me isn't just emotional, it is also physiological. The more well nourished I am, the less my body sends my brain impulses to stuff my face with anything that might provide nourishment. For this reason, I've pretty much remained eating W30 style but with loosened reins on eating out, added sugar, etc. I still eat to template three times a day as best I can without driving myself nuts.

It's a process that's a lot longer than 30 days.  I've still had episodes of binging, but they are smaller and farther apart as time goes on.  I have just gotten through Halloween without one bite of candy and I didn't even care.  That's amazing for me.  In contrast, I ended a W30 on day 28 by diving big time into the Easter basket this spring.  I try to focus on progress not perfection.  It's much better than it was.  But, it won't happen over night, so you also have to be patient with yourself.  Along the lines of those posting above, it helps to focus on nutrition, to recognize your triggers and keep them out of the house, to keep full on healthy food.  Good luck!

Archived