Reintroduction Schedule question

EleanorB

Hi Everyone,

I tried to google the answer, but didn't 100% manage to find what I was looking for.  If there's a link, then please let me know...

I am on day 30 and so start my re-introductions tomorrow.  I want to make sure I do it properly as I would be really interested to find out how different foods affect me.  I know already that grains disagree, but wouldn't be able to say if gluten free was enough, and what the consequence of eating corn would be. 

I am planning to start with dairy, as recommended.  However, should I try different forms of dairy on different days, or do I have milk, yogurt and cheese (for example) all on one day and then see the effect?  The same for the other groups... how much mixing can a person do?

Then, do I follow the test day with 2 W30 days with or without the added ingredient?  For example, if I have yogurt and decide dairy is fine, do I carry on eating it, or do I eliminate it again?  If the latter, when do I start eating it again?

I think of all dairy, I have missed milk (cappuccino) and cheese.  Although, the cappuccino's the most :) I haven't missed grains at all, but am interested in finding out where I can draw the line there.  And I would also be interested to see the effect of Legumes, so that I know if I can have hummus.  It would be an occasional item and I haven't missed it, but would still like to know.  Maybe in that instance, it's better to just wait until the opportunity arises?

Thanks,

Eleanor

• Moderators

Here's the link to the official reintroduction plan

Usually, you would have dairy (or whatever you're reintroducing) at each meal for one day, then go back to Whole30 eating (without any added foods) for two days -- or until you feel better, if you have a reaction that makes you feel bloated or icky for more than two days. Then you'd reintroduce your next type of food and have it at each meal for one day, then have two days of clean Whole30 eating.

You can divide them up any way you want to -- so if you think you may have a different reaction to cheese vs. drinking milk, or to cows' milk vs. goats' milk, you could do separate reintro days, just always eat the reintroduced food at each meal for a day, and then go back to W30 eating for at least two days. 

Even once you've reintroduced something and feel you had no reaction to it, don't have it again until the end of all your reintroductions. 

The whole30 suggests that you eat all kinds of dairy in one day and then see how you feel. I can react to milk but don't notice as much with sharp cheddar cheese. I personally would try your favorite dairy first and then wait and see. It can take three days to see a reaction. This  will stretch out your reintro phase but I think it's more accurate. I would also try different gluten free grains on different days. I would only eat organic corn and I would stay away from all wheat. Almost all the corn and wheat in the US is GMO so it is designed to create holes in your gut (actually it is designed to create holes in the gut of the insects that eat it). Unfortunately we get this added benefit when we eat GMO foods. Good Luck!

So, if I try milk tomorrow, I should have it at all three meals? Or just in one?

I am almost tempted to stick to W30 and then just try things as they arise, but I guess that wouldn't be very controlled. It's just tricky thinking about how to include dairy whilst sicking to W30.  I guess I could make scrambled eggs with milk and butter, and add milk to my tea. How do you know if you are having enough to notice effects?

The obvious thing would be to go get a cappuccino... but I have also been caffeine free so even if I get a decaf, I know I will feel the effect of it.  I have been caffeine free for two years, but haven't even had decaf during my W30.

So, if I try milk tomorrow, I should have it at all three meals? Or just in one?

If tomorrow is dairy day, you would have one serving of dairy at all 3 meals. A normal serving size of milk, cheese or yogurt, for example, at each meal.

If you want to separate different types of dairy out on different days, as Shannon suggested, then have different forms of cow's milk products on one day, go back to 100% Whole30 eating for 2 days, then different form's of sheep/goat's milk products on another day, etc.

Archived