How long do you feel better after "going off the rails"?

jessica301

I finished a whole44 and did the proper reintroductions. Last week I had family in town and managed to exercise five times and had a majority of compliance with my meals. While I didn't feel my "100% whole30 self," I was at about 90%, and I was okay with that.

This weekend, however, I overdid it with the alcohol on Saturday, which led to late night eating junk food.  Sunday I felt absolutely horrible and could not even think about eating anything healthy and had a big diner breakfast and a bloody mary, and a dinner of pizza and a cupcake for dessert.

Yesterday I was exhausted and skipped my morning workout. I felt bloated and puffy. Today I forced myself to run but it was a challenge, as I still feel pretty exhausted. My legs felt like they were full of jugs of water!

How long after "going off the rails" do you start to feel better? I feel like Saturday night/Sunday took away all the tiger blood I worked so hard to get.

Whole30 is trial and error, so I will say that I now know that I have to cap off my alcohol intake at only a couple since I have no tolerance to it anymore, and it leads me to terrible food decisions after a few.

Well technically there is no written rule on how long it will take to bounce back.  It's completely up to you body.  Now eating whole 30 style post will definitely help recovery.  But it all depends.

A couple of weeks back I went out for a ladies night at a superb  Ethiopian restaurant.  I wanted to thoroughly enjoy the experience despite knowing that it would pay me back later.  Yes I had 1.5 glasses of red wine.  I had bread.  I had legumes, It was beautiful and spicy (I have issues with both legumes and spicy food  :(), I had dessert.  The next morning I felt I had a hangover.  And it stayed with me for 5 days.  Not really bad just felt really sluggish and headachy. And just plain bleh. 

I had counted on feeling yucky for 24 to 48 hours..... this was so not the case.  So it really depends.

• Administrators

I think it really depends on how your body reacts to certain things.  Alcohol will set me back immediately and then for DAYS.  Upwards of an entire week.  I had sushi on the weekend (not on W30 right now) and was surprised I didn't feel too horrible the next day (although now, three days later, I have the runs and everything since sushi has been fully compliant so maybe I didn't get off so scott-free).

I would think just based on the foods you list above (alcohol, sugar, wheat, dairy) and in the rather short time you consumed them that you're going to be in for it for a few days.   :(

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Wheat was really the only group where I felt any sort of side affect, but I was fine the next day.  I think it was definitely from more alcohol than I am used to, but topping it off the next day with tons of wheat probably wasn't the best idea. I am starting to feel a bit better now (Wednesday). Today was the first day I woke up and felt pretty good. The past two days have been compliant.

This weekend made me see how much I really do not miss alcohol hangovers and now know I have at least three days of recovery if I do this again. That will really help decide if/when it is worth it!

Bloody Mary is a  cocktail containing vodka, tomato juice, and combinations of other spices and flavorings including Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, piri piri sauce, beef consommé or bouillon, horseradish, celery, olives, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and celery salt.

That's alot of ingredients at one time.   Grain alcohols can cause problems, too.

Neutral grain spirit also called pure grain alcohol distilled from a grain-based mash to a very high level of ethanol content. 

Neutral grain spirit is used in the production of blended whiskey, cut brandy, some liqueurs, and some bitters.

Archived