serious help needed!

I've recently been in hospital for over a week for scans and lumbar punctures due to a possible bleed in my brain. I'm now at home on bed rest. I am unable to go to the gym or even go for a walk, so I am really concerned about weight gain. I also lack the motivation to cook clean and healthy meals, which ironically makes me feel worse.

Has anyone navigated a whole30 lifestyle post-hospital/during illness?

wow! you have really been through the ringer. I'm sorry to hear about this.

Weight gain should be the last thing you worry about right now. If you are eating clean, you should be able to trust hunger cues--your body might need more food just to do the work of healing, or it might need less because you are more sedentary. Try to just go with it and choose the most nutrient dense stuff you can get. Bone broth. Organ Meats. Plenty of good fats.

I hope you are up and around soon!

Has anyone navigated a whole30 lifestyle post-hospital/during illness?

I broke my leg in a couple places and required surgery, and it was actually that time that first made me look at paleo. I knew I'd be in bed for a while and less active in general during my recovery, and figured I better address my diet since it was a factor more directly under my control. I had the sense that eating my standard cereal, mac/n/cheese, etc. would just compound any issues I'd have with being a temporary couch potato.

If you can't prep and cook yourself it might be difficult to do a full W30, but I think this bed rest period can be a great opportunity to really nail down your cravings and patterns of eating.

• 2 weeks later...

First, so sorry to hear about your health issue -- hoping you are feeling better.

My husband and I began the Whole30 5 days after he had a total hip replacement surgery. Since he was on pain meds (so no alcohol allowed) he thought it was a good time to start. I believed eating only nutrient-dense foods would help him heal more quickly. We were both right! This is day 17 or 18 and neither of us has had any particular desire for our evening adult beverages, nor any other substantive food cravings. He was released from physical therapy only two weeks after surgery, and both PT and his surgeon are amazed at his rapid recovery. I truly believe his healthy food choices have played a huge part.

Best of luck to you for your continued recovery.

Archived