another poo question (hard stool)

ktothev

I can't believe I'm going there, lol. But, who the else do you ask about this stuff?

I have been eating a primarily paleo diet for over a year. I have done 2 whole 30s in that time. While I am not currently on a whole30, I still eat very close to whole30 standards.

I am having issues with hard stool. Now, I know this is normally associated with constipation, but the thing is, I'm pretty darn regular. 1-2 times per day. So my frequency is good, the consistency is not. Since starting paleo and my first whole30 in January of this year, this has gotten worse. It started out in a positive direction, with things moving along at a much more regular and predictable pace. The consistency has slowly gotten harder and more difficult to pass.

I exercise regularly (3 times a week of strength training and HIIT, walking every single day, yoga 1-2 times a week). I feel like I am eating right. I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to address this problem.

FYI, I am currently supplementing with natural calm with no effect. I also eat some starchy carbs every day, generally sweet potato with one meal.

That's about all I can bring myself to say about my bm right now. Any suggestions or insight are appreciated.

Water consumption maybe?

I know I have "issues" (similar type problem) when I don't drink enough.  So make sure you are getting half your body weight in ounces per day.  So if you weigh 120lbs - you would need to drink a minimum of 60 ounces.

Other than that, I'm not to much help.

Maybe post a couple of days worth of some standard meals for us to maybe take a look at.

What about probiotics? Saur Kraut, Kimchi or Kombucha?

I can guarantee it is not a water issue. I drink a lot of water. JUST water too. While I drink decaf coffee and tea, I don't even count that in my water consumption. I am way over the 1/2 oz per lb recommendation.

Fat? Maybe. I feel like I'm getting enough. Maybe I'll try some coconut milk in my morning coffee. Fat is honestly the only thing I can think I might be a little low on or could use more of.

Here's what an average day looks like for me (this is actually taken from yesterday):

Breakfast: shredded zuchinni, sliced mushrooms, 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil with a little grassfed butter (not on a Whole30); about 1 cup cubed sweet potato roasted in coconut oil. 2 cups decaf.

Lunch: three mini paleo meatloaves (ground beef & bison, spinach, carrots, eggs), marinara sauce (no sugar added), diced green & red peppers. Raspberries.

Dinner: Roasted chicken - both white and dark meat, broccoli, brussel sprouts sauted in olive oil & balsamic vinegar. 1/2 apple.

Missmary, thanks for that link. I think a lightbulb went off in my head. Your link mentioned probiotics, which led me to this article: http://whole9life.com/2012/04/probiotics-101/

and I realized I have had a stressful year, a more stressful last 6 months, and a really stressful last 3 months. I think I have gotten so much better at handling the stress (due in large part to Whole9 principles) that I wasn't as aware of it. My job in particular has been extremely challenging and stressful recently.

I'm going to try some probiotics and see if that makes a difference.

Archived