Jewelz423

Ever since I was a little girl, I have only had one wish... for every birthday candle, fallen eye lash, dandelion, falling star, and coin in the fountain I have had the same wish; "I wish I was skinny."  I have finally decided that it is time to stop wishing, and time to start doing.  There are many challenges ahead, but I couldn't be more excited to overcome them!

My name is Julianna and I live in NY.  Most of my life I have been overweight, but about four years ago I was at my healthiest and it felt great.  Then I went back to school, was still working full time, and I was so busy that I completely gave up on trying to eat healthy.  Now, four years later, I am at the heaviest I have ever been in my life and it feels awful.  And, for me, it's honestly not even about "looking good," but this is the first time in my life where I am beginning to feel the negative effects of my weight on my everyday life (ie. getting tired going up the stairs, not being able to run very far, joint pain, etc.)  

Some anticipated challenges

• having non-W30 food in my house (for my husband)
  • not drinking alcohol :(
  • there's ALWAYS food/sweets at work
  • Thanksgiving next week (I should probably just start after, but I want to be done with the whole 30 before my trip to Brazil in Dec.)
  • Having time to plan meals and prepare for the next day
  • Doing this alone (But hopefully I will find support on the forums!)

I am going to spend time today and tomorrow planning and food shopping.  I'll report back tomorrow with more info about how my preparation is going.

Speak out + shine on...

I am pretty much prepped for my first W30 week.  I can't wait!   I went food shopping today and got lots of veggies and high-quality meat.  I also picked up some coconut oil for cooking, which I've never used before. I grilled ALOT of proteins and I've cut/washed a bunch of veggies.  I think that being prepared and having easy-to-grab compliant meals is what's really going to make or break it for me.  Sometimes I go hours without eating and by the time I can eat a meal I am usually so hungry that I just want to eat the quickest/fastest thing.  Having healthy options ready will definitely make it easier for me to make the right choice.

I also made my own ghee and mayo for the first time today!  It was really fun experimenting in the kitchen a bit.  I burned the Ghee, so it came out dark brown and kind of has a caramel smell to it.  I'm going to use it anyways though; I don't think it can hurt.  The mayo came out okay, but the main problem is that I was missing a couple of important ingredients.  I used EVOO even though I was warned that was a bad idea and I used lime juice instead of lemon juice.  I had just gotten home from the store and didn't feel like going back out, so I improvised!  It came out very... interesting, to say the least.  None the less, I think it's edible.  I'll try making new batches of ghee and mayo later in the week and hopefully they come out a little better!

Today, every time I had a negative thought about myself and my body I was instantly happy again because I remembered that I am already taking steps to change that.  I am feeling very positive today, and I hope to carry that positivity with me moving forward.  One day at a time!

Until next time,

Woohoo, my first day of the W30 completed! I'm still feeling really positive about this and so far it's been great!  As anticipated, there were several opportunities to go off track while at work (brownies, cheese time, pizza, and more!), but so far it's been a breeze.  Perhaps since I'm only on day 2 I'm overly optimistic, but hey,why should I be thinking negatively about "having" to eat healthy.  This is a choice that I've made for myself and I'm enjoying it!  

This is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast- scrambled egg with pico de gallo and half an avocado

Lunch- Kale and Arugula salad with grape tomatoes, grilled steak, hearts of palm, and half an avocado.  seasoned with a little lime juice and salt

Dinner (My fav. meal of yesterday!)- Grilled flank steak with roasted sweet potatoes, and sauteed kale, mushrooms, and garlic.  

Eveything came out quite yummy.  I used the ghee that I made on Sunday for my sauteeing and on the roasted sweet potatoes, and it tasted great!  It was especially nice on the sweet potatoes.  I used coconut oil in the morning for my eggs, without realizing that it actually left the flavor of coconut in whatever food you were cooking (seems so stupid of me in retrospect!).  At first I thought the coconut-flavored eggs were weird, but by the end I thought they were actually quite tasty!

Good afternoon!  It all sounds wonderful.  I love making my own mayo now.  It's so lemony and tasty and I know it's made of good stuff.

I'm starting another whole30 Dec1 and have some lovely spicy tuna cakes in my freezer (Nom Nom Paleo) to get me started next week. 

How is your Thanksgiving going to be or is that an issue?

I just can't like Kale.  I've tried it and I've tired it but no dice.  You had me on all the other stuff though!

Hi there, tinman!  I loved making my own mayo for the first time! I don't think I'll ever go back to store-bought now that I how easy it is to make your own!  I absolutely looove Kale, but it's certainly not for everybody. Those spicy tuna cakes sound amzing; I'll have to try them some time!

Hm, I am honestly a little nervous about Thanksgiving.  There will be plenty of tasty, compliant options for me at Thanksgiving, but my step-mom also makes alot of delicious, non-compliant dishes, dishes that we really only ever eat once a year at Thanksgiving.  So I guess, psychologically, the thought that this will be my only opportunity to enjoy some of these foods is what might get me into trouble.  I'm not really sure how I'm going to handle it yet, but I will really try to stay on plan.  I was going to start my W30 after Thanksgiving, but I decided I was tired of waiting. It felt like I had been "waiting" forever, always postponing for some reason or another.

Well, congrats on starting another W30 next week!  I look forward to hearing about it in the logs.  And, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

It came out very... interesting, to say the least.  None the less, I think it's edible. 

I've had what seemed like mediocre mayo when I made it, but that was just tasting it plain --- when I mixed it with tuna it then became awesome!

So I'm sure yours will be fine. :)

ALthough, I did wake up feeling a little strange from the dream I had the night before.  Part of my dream was that I ate a crap load of brownies, and I was feeling really ashamed about going off the W30 after just one day.  But the weird part was that Bill Cosby then showed up for some reason and was trying to console me.  LOL...so weird!  The oddest thing was that at work one of my students asked me like FOUR times if I wanted a brownie.  I have to admit, it was alot harder to say no the fourth time around, haha.

Anyways, this is what I ate yesterday....

Breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs, baked yam with a bit of ghee and cinammon.  

Lunch: Leftover steak, kale, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes from my dinner the night before.  

Dinner: Cauliflower fried "rice," which I made for the first time and was absolutely delicious!! Also, some grilled chicken, brussel sprouts and a scoop of guacamole.  Something you'll soon realize about me is that I'll put avocado/guacamole on everything, and hot sauce!

Snacks: AM- banana with a handful of cashews and coconut chips PM- I was so hungry when I came home from work so I had a handful of sugar snap peas

So far I haven't really been feeling any different.  I was expecting to have that day two headache I hear people talk about, but so far nothing.  I guess it really is different for everybody.  I'm not really anything better yet either, which is fine.  I didn't start this expecting some miracle transformation in a few days, and probably not even after just 30 days.  After years of abuse to my body, I can't expect a few days of healthy eating to undo all of that. I've started this with the intention of continuing this well beyond 30 days.

Well, that's all for now.  Until next time!

I've had what seemed like mediocre mayo when I made it, but that was just tasting it plain --- when I mixed it with tuna it then became awesome!

So I'm sure yours will be fine. :)

kirkkor- haha thanks for the positivity!  I hope you're right.  I actually haven't tried it on anything yet, so we'll see.  Maybe I'll make some tuna salad later, and I'll let y'all know how it tastes.

I've heard that the burnt ghee is perfectly fine - as you found out !  I've made the mayo with lime juice, avocado oil and it was delicious - I'm a lime person more than lemon so I ended up liking that version better.   Also make it with raw apple cider vinegar.  You might try it with avocado -  the olive oil was good too.

Hope you did fine with Thanksgiving.

It sounds like you have a good handle on how to go forward - happy whole 30'ing !

Archived