Trapped in a square box of a body

Calabash

I finally commit to 30 days just for myself! I shopped yesterday and cleaned out the house of junk. The big eye opener for me was weighing this morning and taking a few pictures then I measured myself. I have had a strange relationship with myself because I did not see myself as fat or very over weight but the evidence is in and I am a square box of a person. My embarrassing measurements are (get ready) 40 40 42, weight 175.4 and totally disgusted with myself. I grew up a slim girl but when menopause hit the pounds came on and apparently I was lying to myself about how big I really am, well no more! I have aches and pains and a feeling of no energy and it is no wonder because the fact is I am a sugar addict who is self indulgent!

No more! Day one and I feel empowered with the correct information to get back to the girl I used to be. She is in there somewhere, I just know it!

Is anyone else crazy like me and considering starting over the holidays? I would sure like some friends along for this journey and who knows we might not even need a New Years resolution next year if we start now and stand together. So come along for the journey.

I commend you for doing this during the holiday season --- it sounds like you have some great motivation in place!  It can sometimes take a seemingly rude awakening for us to change our habits, so congratulations on recognizing the need.

Too many people I think just 'throw in the towel' during the holiday season and use the promise of new year resolutions as an excuse to not even try.

You will no doubt be tested over the next month, but remember why you're doing this. Also think about how many extra Bad Ass PointsTM ( ;) ) you're earning by doing what many would not.

Thanks for the encouragement! I have had a pretty easy day so far. I am keeping the menu basic to get started. I was never much of an over eater on regular foods meat, fruit veggies, etc, but sugar in any form sets me up to eat until it is gone! So with the strict no sugar rule I am pretty clear on what is out. I enjoyed a nice low fat content ground beef with Brussels sprout and a 1/4 of a potato for lunch and although it looked a little puny on the plate it filled me up and so far do good. Can't say I am craving sugar but I am thinking about it. I have just been reminding myself to look at the lovely photo of the before me now posted on the fridge door. Eye opener for sure and a mouth closer definitely.

My brother in law is hospitalized with liver failure. He is a few months younger than me so this is also a motivator for me to think about my Heath and to act on ways to improve my well being.

I hope there are some others out there ready to join me today! If so send a note and let's do this thing together!

• Moderators

I enjoyed a nice low fat content ground beef with Brussels sprout and a 1/4 of a potato for lunch and although it looked a little puny on the plate it filled me up and so far do good. 

Don't forget to add healthy fat with each of your meals. It will help keep you satiated between meals, and if you're eating plenty of fat, protein, and veggies, you're less likely to experience cravings.

It's 2:50 in the am in Texas and I am not sure where this energy is coming from. Don't seem hungry just wide awake which is unusual for me because I am usually very sluggish in the am even at 6 or 7! Feel great that I made it through day one so I am ready to tackle day 2. Even if I had to do the exact same thing today I did yesterday I now know it is possible to go a full day without sugar. On tap for today is some shopping for coconut oil. I guess this is the best? Let me know if you have other suggestions. I also want to try the avocado and egg recipe. Is this ok for the first 30 or should I wait on it.

I had 6 big grapes last night at 7 with a cup of rioobos tea. Probably spelled that wrong. It satisfied my desire for anything else. Also to pat myself on the back I drank 5 bottles of water so I am well hydrated! I am probably just delusional but I think I feel great. I found my old WW exercise cd and have it ready to go for the day 2 "plans to get moving goal!"

Still hoping to hear from others out there who are starting with me. How is it going? Any good recipes to share? Any pitfalls to avoid? I had to watch the desire to taste the spoon when preparing food for my nephew. Very unexpected. Apparently I must do this all the time without thinking. Squeaked by but had a couple of close calls. He lives with me and has a major handicap so I prepare all his meals. I think I will just include him in my first 30. Certainly can't hurt and will probably be very good for him. He doesn't have a weight problem so portion size I guess should be bigger.

Well I wish you all a great whole 30 day. Hang in there - together we can do what I could never do alone! Thanks go out to those of you who have taken time to respond to my initial post. I sure appreciate the advise and encouragement.

• Moderators

Still hoping to hear from others out there who are starting with me. How is it going? Any good recipes to share? Any pitfalls to avoid? I had to watch the desire to taste the spoon when preparing food for my nephew. Very unexpected. Apparently I must do this all the time without thinking. Squeaked by but had a couple of close calls. He lives with me and has a major handicap so I prepare all his meals. I think I will just include him in my first 30. Certainly can't hurt and will probably be very good for him. He doesn't have a weight problem so portion size I guess should be bigger.

Portion sizes are mostly based on the individual's hand size -- compare his hand to yours, if it's a lot bigger, then definitely bigger portions for him, but even if it's not, it's okay to have him eat more if he needs to. You can find more tips in how to not lose weight on a Whole30 in this article

For recipes, check The Clothes Make The Girl and Nom Nom Paleo -- most of the recipes on both those sites are Whole30 compliant or easily modified to be. I don't know what kinds of food you like, but here's a few of my favorite recipes that I've tried while doing Whole30: Asian Meatballs (I prefer the sweet potatoes cooked and mashed and mixed in, not in chunks), Velvety Butternut Squash, and these Artichoke Chicken Thighs

I know there are other people who have recently started a Whole30 or are planning to start soon. Look around the forums, and stop by their topics and say hi if they don't post here.

Thanks for the tips. Finished day 3 successfully and even tried a Rosemary chicken breast supper with green beans and a simple salad with lemon juice on it. Quite surprised how quick and easy it was to prepare and it was delicious. I did not find I was hungry today at all and my cold seems to have vanished. Seems to have quickly resolved on its own. I did try the garlic for my throat and cut up the onion for bedtime.

I just love the coconut oil for cooking. My ghee should be delivered tomorrow. I can't find any rooibos tea in my local stores. My friend gave me some but I want to purchase some. She can't remember where she bought it! Any hints where to get some more would be appreciated. I feel like I have more energy too. The unusual thing is I have not had coffee in two days and just realized it tonight! So for me things seem to be going well. I hope all who are just starting enjoy the whole 30 and stick with it. I am planning my thanksgiving dinner and need some suggestions. Nothing too difficult as I am not a very skilled cook and it will only be me and my nephew.

Best wishes to everyone.

Well into my second week and chugging along fine. Still thinking about cookies but have been nibbling on pomegranates they take so much work and I don't like the little seed so it occupies me and I don't eat much! I have been cooking and the kitchen has not burned down so I consider this real luck. I love the ghee and ghee with coconut oil for cooking. Have enjoyed things I have never tried before. I think I might make the 30 days. I am looking forward to a Christmas dinner. I did not do a thanksgiving feast because I had just started. My pants are either bigger or I am shrinking. Hope it's the later of the two choices. Tonight I prepared scallop and spinach for supper with a small plate of tomatoes, radishes and carrots for nibbling and grazing! I was good!

I am happy. Think I am sleeping better. At least I am waking fewer times so I guess that equals sleeping better. I hope you can stick with it. I will be glad to walk part of your journey with you chigger cane. Let me know how you are doing! The good, bad and the ugly!

Be well and be good to your body!

M

Still going strong but really thinking about a big piece of chocolate cake lately! Don't think my mind is changing along with my body. Feel great, sleeping better but still want that chocolate and I know me if I had one piece I'd eat the box or whole cake! Dad gum it must be an addiction!

Archived