feeding window

mikew9

Hi everyone,

I am new to whole30 and I'm at day 13 now.

It really feels great!

I do have a question:

My timing is:

12.00 breakfast

16.00 lunch

20.00 dinner

I follow my timetable very strict with 30 min space.

I do workout at my crossfit box but no pre or post workout meals for me. If im hungry I just wait for the next meal so nothing in between as snack.

What do you guys think?

Mike

• Moderators

Limiting your eating to an 8 hour window is technically compliant with the Whole30 rules, but your practice is far from the intent of the Whole30. Delaying breakfast beyond one hour of waking in the morning sets you up for adverse hormonal rhythm issues and not eating post-workout meals slows muscle recovery. The typical reason for following such a timing plan is to maximize leanness and to develop visible abs. It seems to work best for young men, but many others suffer problems with sleep, mood, and intense cravings when practicing this approach. 

We recommend that no one who has not been eating Whole30-style for at least one year and is not already in excellent health experiment with this approach to eating. I followed this plan myself for 3 months about 2 years ago. I found it comfortable and easy to sustain. I stopped because my sleep became troubled and I found it difficult to stay asleep at night longer than 6-7 hours. Instead of getting leaner, my sleep problems led to my getting puffier. I went back to eating breakfast early in the morning and my sleep improved markedly within a little over a week. 

Thanks for the replies.

I indeed thought it was compliant with whole30.

My WODs are around 17.30 or 18.45. So i do eat after my workouts but not directly. Also, its a bit of convenience in the morning to not eat due to 2 kids and getting them ready.

I do feel a bit if hunger everyday but have not experienced a lack of sleep. And if i do feel it its the kids :)

Im on day 13 and i do see a lot of results in the mirror. And yes i also have this feeding window because i need to get leaner.

What happens with my hormones if i keep this up till day 30?

>What happens with my hormones if i keep this up till day 30?

non-Whole30 sources report improved hormonal stuff under IF protocols, and so it really just depends on what "camp" you're in, as well as the results of your own personal "n=1" experiment.

I've been on a 16:8 IF schedule for over 4 years now.

I indeed thought it was compliant with whole30.

I don't think you got what Tom was telling you: what you describe is your own plan. Although it is technically compliant, it misses several important recommendations.

IF is good for a very select group of people, generally men in excellent health. If this is you, congrats. If not, maybe try doing what the whole30 recommends?

• Moderators

Eating within an hour of waking in the morning is a big signal for getting your hormones into a rhythm that supports alertness in the morning and sleeping soundly at night. There are more issues too that you can review in It Starts With Food. 

Here is an article on the topic that I recommend: http://huntgatherlove.com/content/when-not-fast

I don't think you got what Tom was telling you: what you describe is your own plan. Although it is technically compliant, it misses several important recommendations.

IF is good for a very select group of people, generally men in excellent health. If this is you, congrats. If not, maybe try doing what the whole30 recommends?

Men and women are two different critters.    What works for men...sometimes does not equate into the same hormone rhythms/results for women.

CATERS_Bear_Breaks_Into_Cabin_071-800x49

Feeding Window

Archived