Question about Whole30 and religion (not a religious post)...

I was at a funeral today and I am not normally religious. My upbringing was Catholic, and my mother is somewhat disabled. Anyways, they brought the host (holy communion wafer) to her and gave it to her for mass. I don't normally take communion, but I took the wafer too, and only thought about the implications afterward. I am on day 10. Does the wafer from mass count?

I took communion yesterday. Both the communion wafer and the wine. I have no intention of giving up communion Post Whole30 so I see no value in giving it up now.

And like kcrady57, I have seen a post about it before. This is the reply I saw from Tom...

Participating in communion services is okay during a Whole30. It is kind of like taking prescribed medication. The Whole30 does not want to stand between you and your doctor or you and your God.

I took communion myself this morning. I thought about calling over the minister who was serving gluten free bread, but didn't want to make the effort. My church started offering a gluten free choice when we hired a minister with celiac disease.

While, like Tom said, we don't want the W30 to stand between you and your God, I think it IS important to highlight the potential side effects of this. Most hosts _do_ contain gluten, and it's one of the biggies that we're trying to eliminate on the W30.

So just keep an eye out for any symptoms/negative effects and keep on trucking. For those that have a particular sensitivity to gluten, or just prioritize the exclusion of ALL gluten, you may need to talk to somebody at your church about getting gluten free options, but if it's not worth the effort to you, then don't worry about it!

Archived