Starting December 1st

jessmfunk

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 down! Happy to know the sugar is leaving my body and that I will wake up feeling a little better than yesterday.

Redbirdmom I'm so impressed by your triple digit whole 30!!!

I second the suggestion to get the daily digests! I get them every time I do a whole 30.

ChiggerCane  (Deb) - I was going to tell you that I joined the December group but you are one step ahead.  I think the support on here will be very helpful.  You can definitely do this. 

Day 1 went fairly well except for too much cantaloupe.  I included the cantaloupe in my lunch salad (along with lots of chicken and veggies) which is the way fruit should be consumed.  However,  I still had more than I should on it's own.  It would be best for me to give up the fruit to starve the sugar dragon.  Many whole 30's ago, I gave up the fruit but I have not been able to eliminate it for a long time.  For day 2, I will commit to no fruit.

Keep posting.  Let's keep this thread strong.  We need motivation and inspiration.

Hello everyone.

Did whole 30 in September and it was amazing. Felt so good. I have issues with food, big issues, but i had a healthy relationship with food during September and it felt so relieving. But since than everything went to hell and further. My relationship with food is the worst now and i feel guilty and depressed every day about my food choices. So here i go again. Was reading the forum during my last whole 30 but was not writing anything but now i have signed up and why not get support from people doing the same and if i can support someone that is a bonus. This will be a good month, i can feel it :-)

Welcome Bjork and Aggie and Deb!  

I think you'll find that a daily check in here is VERY helpful!  I also found that when I started my first Whole 30 I had TONS of questions, and this is a quick way to get them answered. That, and the book It Starts With Food.  I was about 4 days in and had way too many questions, so I purchased the book and it was helpful.  Also, my husband joined me, and had never really been on a food plan before, so it helped to explain the "whys" of rules with this plan.

I think I'll crack it open again to give me some more motivation!

Happy day 2 everyone!

RedbirdMom, this is my first Whole30 and I've been reading little snippets from 'It Starts with Food' every morning to keep me on track and remind me why I am doing this. I'm on day 3 tonight and my head is pretty fuzzy so I needed this mornings reminder to fight through it all. 

I tried my first Whole30 a few weeks ago but only made it to day 10... I'm hoping this time to work through it all. I'd like to start 2015 fresh and clean with a healthy body and mindset. 

Hi everyone -

I began the Whole30 yesterday.  I'm here because a good friends showed up at a social gathering and I kept looking at her wondering where all that good glow was coming from!  She said: the Whole30.

I wouldn't call myself a skeptic, but I do come to the Whole30 with enthusiasm for the structure but questions about the impact.  I've been a serial WW member, always keeping track of my food but not having good weight loss results. I've always thought it must be that my body is responding to some foods and resisting the shedding of lbs!

I thought December would be a good month to stay regimented and try to weed out any food types that may have been causing me trouble without my knowing it.  I've not had any digestion issues, love dairy, respect the grains, only use evoo and pastured meats....but my body has not responded as I'd like regarding these tenacious 20 lbs.  So....this is my attempt to understand all that a bit better.

I worry about those who've fallen off the path at 12-14 days; my only concern is a small dinner party I'm going to on the 13th where I'll have to say 'no thank you' to a very sensitive host.  But I'm going to do it!

Good luck, everyone!

I am anxious to hear how day 2 is going for everyone...I am A LOT hungrier today compared to yesterday. I woke up feeling really good, so I really need to hold off eating until bedtime and start day 3 ready to go.

I knew it would be coming, but I just got 2 invites today for the Christmas luncheon at my school and the holiday party after work next week. I really enjoy the social part of those things but it would be easier for me not to go so I can avoid the temptation of all that yummy food. I need ideas on how to navigate the social part of this season while staying compliant to the program...

Hi All

Hope everyone is still hanging in there. I felt crankier today than usual. I think it's the sugar withdrawal. This usually passes by day 4 or 5 for me. Looking forward to that! I am just taking it one day at a time and know that eventually I will get to 30.

Aggie - I like getting a drink in hand ASAP when getting to a party. A nice glass of bubble water with a twist of lime or lemon does the trick for me. No one has any idea I am not drinking a "real" drink and there are usually veggies to be found to munch on.

Made it through the day yesterday without fruit.  Today will be another no fruit day.  For the new people, please note that fruit is fine.  I have issues with over consuming fruit so it is best for me to eliminate it for a while.  I wish I could eat fruit in moderation but I can't.

I am doing this W30 along with exercise.  ChiggerCane and I are on another forum that focuses on exercises accountability, as well as healthy eating.  Is anyone on here also exercising?  RedBirdMom - are you and Rick currently training for anything?

I should probably  break out my books - It Starts With Food and Paleo Coach.  I saved the daily emails from my first W30 so it's time for me to review those.

Feeling a little uptight today.  My boyfriend recently had a stem cell transplant and today he is having his post 100 day bone marrow biospsy.  This is a critical biopsy and I'm scared.  The last year of our lives have been very difficult - finding out about his illness, waiting for a stem cell donor, chemotherapy, the transplant, grant vs. host disease, etc.  I feel like my life is so unstable and I hate that feeling.  That's where the W30 comes into play and that's why I love it.  The W30 gives me a sense of control and stability.  I choose to make healthy choices and nourish my body properly. I have the power to create stability over something in my life (food/exercise) when everything else is so uncertain.

Hope you all have a great day 3.  Welcome to all the new people!

Laurie, I hope things go well for you and your boyfriend today... It sounds like a very difficult and emotional day. If I can offer any words of solace or encouragement, it would be that food is not going to make it better. I know that because I react to stress and worry and anxiety (or the serious or minor kind) immediately with food... generally chocolate and sugar. While I'm still only on day 3 of my Whole30, I do recognise that when I have had the discipline in the past to fight through these urges and resist the temptation to immediately jump into a pack of hershey drops or reeces bites, that I can handle things much much better. Like you, I feel better and stronger when I am committed to fueling my body with good, healthy, clean foods and that helps me to stay strong emotionally too. You are much stronger than you think, and when you recognise your commitment to your health then you can fight any battle that comes your way!

I'm on Day 4 and I'm definitely in a 'resent the world' kind of mood... I've been exercising and keeping healthy and on track, but at the moment, i resent the fact that there is so many bad, unhealthy food products on the market and on our plates. It's completely unacceptable that society sells us this idea of bad food as a good thing. Grrrrrr... Ok, rant over, but I just wish there were more available options to maintain a healthy lifestyle rather than having to prep lunch and pack snacks and prepare in case you have an unexpected social event... 

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the group and new to the Whole30. I will be starting on Friday, December 5th. I am nervous but ready. I am so tired of being, well, tired. I was always in great shape until the past year. Life got in the way and out went my regular gym schedule and healthy eating habits. I don't feel like myself and when I see photos of what I look like it's really hard to believe.

I would love some support through this process. How has everyone been doing? What are some results everyone has seen?

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Hi, Everyone!

I'm glad we have this group going! It's encouraging to read how dedicated everyone is! I'm new to Whole 30 but not paleo. I have Lyme disease and I've been pretty careful with my diet for a while now, but I always tend to cheat every couple of weeks (usually with chocolate), so I'm excited to stick with this. I have noticed a few improvements since going paleo. One of the main things is that my thyroid is now functioning on it's own. I was on two different thyroid meds and I was told I would be on them for life. 

When I first went paleo I had terrible carb flu for about two weeks, but once I got past that I really felt better. So for those of you that are experiencing that know that it will get better. I found one thing that helped when I was feeling really icky was to blend some full fat coconut milk with a few frozen strawberries and some water.

Good luck everyone! We can do this! :)

Sinead - good for you for getting back on the wagon!  I think if you can get through day 16 it gets easier. It also gets frustrating if you're trying to eat out a lot, so I avoid it as much as possible when I'm on the plan.

Welcome Leah and Whole30Newbie!

ihrmom - I was VERY SKEPTICAL about Whole 30, but my husband convinced me to try it. I'm a WW member for 30 years.  Soon I will re-post my report from my first whole 30, but here's the short story: I had no real issues, allergies, etc, going into it. After - I NEVER FELT BETTER IN MY LIFE!  Also, I lost 13 pounds, but that became unimportant. My second 30 days I lost 7, and then I lost another 5 on my third 30 days.  By the time I was done, about 30 pounds. But again I say, you won't care because you'll feel so good and your skin will be glowing!

Aggie - my best advice is to eat ahead of time and drink seltzer/club soda.

Wholelife and Sinead- I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've been feeling irritable the last couple of days. I'm visualizing all the junk leaving my system!

Laurie - Rick and I will do some triathlons next year. I have one friend who has talked me into one 5k/month for a year so we can save up the tshirts and make a quilt!!  Our first is January 1st resolution run!  Let us know how it goes with Steve.

Augie - It's encouraging to hear about your medical improvements. I agree the first two weeks are the hardest!

Glad to almost have day 3 under my belt.  While my husband said he was joining me on this whole 30 he made it exactly 1 day, LOL!  He'll jump on in January, I'm sure.

Keep it going team!

I also started on the 1st.

Yesterday and today (days 2 & 3) I have felt awful. I'm so queasy that I don't want to think about food. I've made myself eat, and I've stayed on-plan. I also have killer headaches because I can't stomach the idea of coffee. I've got some bone broth cooking in the hope that I can drink that until I feel better.

Mint tea has helped nominally.

Is this normal?

Thanks for the advice about club soda with lime! I love that idea because it will give the illusion that I am drinking like everyone else and not having to answer any questions about it.

Welcome to the new people and thanks to those who keep posting. Each day I make it through, I look forward to reading about how everyone else is doing. Today is much better than yesterday, I'm not that hungry and not so grumpy!

April - I've not heard of someone being so queasy they are having a hard time eating. BUT, I'm no expert. I asked one of the moderators to pop over and share some insights with you on that. I'm wondering if you might be coming down with something and it's not Whole 30 related?

I also started on the 1st.

Yesterday and today (days 2 & 3) I have felt awful. I'm so queasy that I don't want to think about food. I've made myself eat, and I've stayed on-plan. I also have killer headaches because I can't stomach the idea of coffee. I've got some bone broth cooking in the hope that I can drink that until I feel better.

Mint tea has helped nominally.

Is this normal?

Sounds like you're in the "hangover" phase, which is normal for where you're at in the program. Take a look at the Whole30 timeline to get an idea of what many experience as they go through the process. Stay hydrated and hang in there!

Started my fourth whole 30 on Monday, after a few months of making very poor food and drink choices.

I have a bad case of the carb flu....( on top of being exhausted due to wonky hormones)

I stopped exercising due to exhaustion, but know I will feel better if I get started again... ASAP!

Laurie, what is the forum you mentioned that you use for exercise accountability?

Hello everyone.

Sorry to hear Laurie. Hope you guys had some good news.

I have been through every mood in the book these past 3 days. Horrible. I was so close to quitting last night. My brain fed me all the lies in the book why i did not need to go on. I had to reason with myself multible times to make sure i was not going to eat a chocolatebar. And i did not. So weird when your brain "turns" on you. Today is a new day and i have all these speeches lined up in my head if my brain is playing tricks on me again. Think day 2 & 3 are the hardest. I have had headaches but i know why they are so i am just drinking plenty off water and eating enough when i am supose to.

Hope everyone is doing well and trucking on :-)

Day 7 today! Doing well. I've been mostly Paleo since June 1, so the only major changes I've had to make are cutting out ALL sugars and making sure there's no soy or soy lecithin in what I eat. 

The chronic cough I've been dealing with off and on for three years (and most recently, since early November) started diminishing on day 2 - not sure if that was a fluke or if the diet helped that fast! Still have the cough, but it doesn't bother me much right now. So relieved!

Hoping my sinus issues will clear up a bit soon. My skin, too, though I'm a little more skeptical about that - since starting Paleo, I've had more acne than I've had in twenty years. Not sure if cutting sugar is going to fix that....Everyone talks about glowing skin, though, so I'm hopeful!

Archived