Starting December 1st

jessmfunk

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, everyone.  Wondering if this will end up being the December thread.  I'm hopping over from November - I had an accidental dairy exposure mid-November and am now doing a do-over in December.  I wonder if this will be a small group as no one wants to miss out on Christmas party crap...... I mean, treats.

I over snacked the first few days - nuts and fruit. Two plan no-nos. I am going to try to snack less today.

To clarify, the need to snack can be an indication that your earlier meals need to be bigger.  Tweak your protein, veg and/or fat portions (use the recommended meal template as your guide) until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal containing protein, veg and fat.  Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. If you choose to have fruit on a Whole30, for best results, reserve it to have with or immediately after your main meals only.

April - hope you're feeling better today. Thanks for the guidance Chris - always good to have an expert on board!

Welcome Bethann - I want to know about the exercise group, too!

Bjork - great job fighting through! I hope day 4 is better for you. It has been a little easier for me.

Kelly - I never had skin issues, but after the Whole 30 I got a lot of great comments on my skin. I hope it works for you too!

Great to see you here Tracy! I'm cclaymon from the previous Dirty 30 :)

Kelly - I've been doing paleo since August and I have perfect skin for the first time in my life. I did have breakouts on my body for the first month. I could be wrong, but I think maybe my body was detoxing. Maybe that's what you're going through right now. I drink homemade bone broth everyday and I think that also helps my skin. 

Starting my whole30 hopefully plus today! Can't wait to get back to feeling great. Thanksgiving 'week' was so not worth it. But when it's in your house sometimes I just don't have the control to not eat everything!!!:(

Here's to taking charge of me!!!

I posted about this in the troubleshooting forum, too, but I think my skin problems for the last six months are possibly due to eating too many nuts, especially almonds. My nut intake went from almost zero to almost daily when I went Paleo on June 1. Almond milk, almond flour, almond butter, raw almonds for snacking - not all of those every day, but still, that's a lot of almonds. I'm going to eliminate them for a couple of weeks and reduce my other nut intake as well, and see if that helps. I'm wondering if all the nuts are contributing to my sinus issues, as well. It will be hard finding a good snack without nuts. (I have to snack mid-afternoon, because I only have a 20-minute lunch at noon and can't eat dinner until 6:15 or later. I can't enough at lunch to keep me full for six hours.)

Breakfast today - turkey sausage with the BBQ sauce from ISWF, blueberries, and green tea. 

Happy Friday, everyone!

Things are getting a little bit better. Went out for dinner earlier and was kind off scared going but i ate chicken breast and a huge salat. Itwas good and my boyfriend fries did not look good at all. Ok that was a lie but i still had no inrerest eating them which is good!!

I have always had acne. Just in my face. I did whole 30 in September and i did it mainly because i wanted to see if it would do something for my skin but sadly it did not. Maybe i need longer time to see progress so here we go again!

But those who are interested in progress i made in that month in weight was about 5 kilos. Which is 11 pounds. My brain was also much clearer and focused. I want to be there again. I will be there again.

So glad to see how good we are all doing in this group. Really helps reading all your posts and it keeps me motivated.

Kelly- nuts are delicious and easy and they are not friends... IMO

I would aim to fill up at lunch and if you get peckish before 2 or 3 pm eat a tablespoon of coconut oil, and it will hold you over for many, many hours! It works great for me... (Appetite suppressed.... Boundless energy) But if I do it later then 3 I have trouble falling asleep)

Bethann - the forum I use for exercise accountability is www.cleaneatsandexersize.proboards.com  (note the special spelling of "exersize", it's not a typo). 

For those that are interested in exercise accountability and consistency, please feel free to join us.  Unfortunately, we lost a lot of our members but that forum has been a great source of support for me over the years.  For the full year of 2014, we did an exercise consistency challenge.  We are currently finishing the year in the December thread. 

Yesterday, I had some difficulty with the food.  I ate too much (all compliant) and I had 3 fruits - 2 oranges and 1 large apple.  I almost had a third orange but I thought it through.  I wan't hungry; I just wanted it.  We should not or can't always have what we want.  Eat to nourish and then live life until it is time for the next meal.  I need to keep reminding myself of this fact.

Redbirdmom - so cool about all the races and the quilt.  Steve and I are planning (I say planning because it depends on how he feels) on doing a 1 mile Walk for Life in mid January.  The funds are used towards registering people as bone marrow/stem cell donors - a cause very close to our heart since Steve's life was saved by his unknown donor.  I don't know if Steve can walk a whole mile  (currently, he can walk for about 8 minutes) but he will try.  I thought about running the 5K of this event but I want to be with Steve as he steps over the finish line.

I think I am going to extend my W30 through January. 

Hi friends!   

I recognize a few names and stories from my earlier times on this forum and am looking forward to getting to know the others. 

I have done one short Whole14 and one long Whole66-  really pushed me into a new lifestyle and taught me how great this body can feel!   I have been doing really slow reintros since October and doing quite well at maintaining a 90/10 approach. I thought I was going to be starting another Whole30 in January........However in the past few weeks the Sugar Dragon has re-entered my life... and this past week  I have ended up closer to 10/90 and have even eaten Skittles (yikes!!!)

I need to be really strict again to remind myself of the value of all of the mental and physical benefits of Whole30.  Waiting until January seem counterproductive...   so this is Day 1 of my third Whole 30!   I expect it to be both easier and harder than my first few rounds...   easier because I know the routine,, and am already stocked/compliant in my kitchen, and will probably have fewer "side effects" .    Harder because it will be going over the holidays and the food environment will be challenging. 

I am glad there is an active group for support leading into the holidays!

Hello,

I started December 1st. So far so good. My goal is to reset and gain control of my out of control craving for sugar, loose weight and feel good as a regular state of being. To be honest..not eating sugar is a beast!  I'm in a doctoral program and sugar has been my sanity. Time for a change...

Anita

Hi all, I am starting today (Dec 8). I completed a W30 in October but a Halloween party on Nov 1st just set me right off the rails which made me realise I had not fully healed my mental relationship with food.

I literally ate candy or chocolate or cake etc every single day of November and basically have undone all my hard work (mentally and physically) and I am bloated and annoyed.

I didn't miss anything during October! But I definitely had a weird W30 where I didn't go through any of the typical "phases" and other than less digestive distress and a less abusive relationship with food, I didn't find that many other positives came from it. I am so bloated at the moment though and coming into Summer in Australia it is very disappointing. 

I loved being a part of the forums last time around so I will check in often. I am doing this for me and to stop putting crap in my mouth I know is no good for me!

Hi friends! 

Reading through my Whole30 Daily's for Day 0, 1, and 2.   If this is your first Whole30 I highly recommend enrolling in the daily emails...  it is a great way to learn (or be reminded) about particular parts of the program and the daily reading is great for inspiration and renewing focus.

I was reminded this morning about setting SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time bound) and making them public for accountability.      I looked back at my logs for my last Whole66 and I did achieve most of my SMART goals!   So I think this process works and I am going to use it again.    Here are my 3 goals for this Whole30:

Nutrition:   I will notice and write down any triggers or challenges that lead me to think about non-compliant food choices.  I  will write down 3 specific ways to deal with each trigger or challenge and keep a record of how those work in each situation

Active Recovery/Rehab: I will continue w/PT through this Whole30 and will do my PT work every night.   I will do a 15 min active transition before and after running.  I will do the Yoga for Runners DVD 4X during this Whole30

Exercise:  I will run/walk 5k 3X week using the HR monitor to stay in my metabolic zone.  Jill 1X week. I can earn an additional day of exercise by completing all of my active recovery for the week and having a full rest day in between.  

Hope everyone has a great day! 

Hi there to all of you who started on (Nov 30th for me) and 1st December.  So, how is it going???  I had (and have) some cravings, especially today as I'm very very tired (my goddaughter and her sister stayed the night with us...  My goddaughter is 10 and her sister is 5 and a chatterbox!!!  She can't keep quiet for more than one minute!!!  It was fun and I love them both but dear, I'm really really tired.  I managed to stay on course and even though here in Belgium is was St. Nicolas, they agreed not to have any sugary or chocolaty things while here with us.  They are great!!!  I did not deviate once and am quite proud of myself but gosh, I WANT MY CHOCOLATE!!!!  Tomorrow will be better.  My sleep has improved a little.  And you all, how're you doing??? let me know your successes (or failures, never mind those anyhow, just start again!).  Would love to hear from you.  MJ (Marie-Jeanne)

Hi, Everyone!

I love this thread we have going. I'm surprised at how much it motivates me to read how everyone is doing. My Whole 30 is going well. I saw my doctor on Friday and he wants me to really load up on the veggies (3-4 cups per meal) and 3-4 tbsp of coconut oil per day to help kill the candida and h pylori I have. He also wants me to watch my fruit intake (again, for the candida). He said if I have fruit at all to make it berries. 

Yesterday I had a craving for a coke and fries from In-N-Out. So I just pulled out It Starts With Food. Reading the chapter about how sugar effects hormones really turned off my cravings. Hopefully I'll start feeling like the good day example.

Good luck everyone! Tomorrow is the one week mark! :)

Still on board here...day 7

Feeling a little better today. Not as hungry and even went for a run. I'm a mom of two little ones and work full-time so prioritizing myself (food prep and exercise) is always a little challenging for me. Lately I have been reminding myself that my health is 100% up to me. No one else. Which means I have no one to blame except myself when it doesn't go well - or anyone else to praise except myself when it does go well! :)

Three cheers for it going well! So happy to finally be heading into week 2. The worst is def behind me. Woo Hoo!

Finished day 10! Doing fine except for muscle/tendon soreness in my wrists and arms - maybe I overdid it with weights this past week? I didn't think I did any more than usual, though...hoping the pain goes away soon!

Finding recipes to make has been easy, thanks to "Well Fed" and even Pinterest! I miss having a square of dark chocolate in the afternoon, but in general, I love what I'm eating! 

Well, I'm still here :) The wrap up of my crazy insane work project was Saturday, and I'm frustrated by the fact that I didn't make it through the day without blowing this program. So, having become a "whole14" person, I'm back to day 2 today. As a recovering perfectionist, my tendency is to quit altogether when I don't measure up to my own expectations (which tend to be unreasonable anyway). So I'm giving myself a little mental pat on the back for getting up, dusting off, and starting over without taking a few weeks off to dive into chocolate and sugary coffees.

Back to the whole SMART Goal idea as recommended by the daily emails:

1. Journal every day-even just a line or two. This helps me be objective and have my head in the game at the start of the day.

2. Post on this forum every day-again, even just a line or two. It helps tremendously to see what all the rest of you are doing, and helps me not start feeling like this is just too hard-if others can hack it, so can I. Suck it up, buttercup.

3. Back to my "1 hour of exercise no matter what" rule. For me, exercise can be anything, especially this time of year. I'm primarily a cyclist, but hiking, going for a walk, a jog, whatever. I know from past experience that when I start a program like this, I need to: A) Keep exercising B) listen to my body and do the type/intensity that I am ready for on a given day. Be both flexible and consistent-consistently doing my 'hour', but flexible with what it is. No rigid training goals.

Best of luck to everyone, and chin up about all those holiday parties we have to navigate. The truth is, every celebration (at least here in America) revolves around food. I don't know that the holidays are any harder. If it was summer, it would be BBQ season...we just have to learn to enjoy the millions of pleasures life offers that do not involve a short list of unhealthy foods.

Hello All!

Happy to say that I started on Friday and stayed compliant throughout the whole weekend! Today is day 4 and I do not feel as "bloated" as I normally do. Last night I was craving something sweet but just ignored it. I woke up tired today, even after going to bed early, but I think that is normal, right? I plan on going to the gym tonight to do cardio and weights. I have made a small goal for myself of going to the gym 3 times this week (at least). How is everyone else doing?

Archived