Starting December 1st

jessmfunk

I began my first Whole 30 on December 1 with the autoimmune component.  In 8 days, all my water weight (I think) is gone.  Arthritis pain is gone.  I did weigh today and I have lost a whopping 24 pounds of water weight.  My ankles were swollen and tight--now they are literally bony.  I look forward to the next 22 days and beyond.  If Whole 30 can identify my inflammation triggers, I'm in for life.  

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow 24 pounds in 8 days!? That's a lot of bloating. But please try not to weigh yourself until your 30 days are up. It will mess with your head and may skew your results.

I am very anxious/irritable/depressed today. I am putting it partly down to anxiety about a big test coming up at the end of the week but I am struggling not coping by eating junk! Definitely feeling all the feels today!

Day 4 for me! Feeling so good! Had a really tired day on day one but I think that's it for withdrawals this time. Yeah! Good energy all day.

Made it through a Christmas party, Christmas dinner out at a restaurant, being at a cheer comp all morning and afternoon after spilling my bfast plate on the garage floor and a bday party today at a restaurant where I used to looove all the bad stuff. My issue today is since i am feeling great, one thing is not going to hurt me. But one thing always leads to the next and then a giant snowball. My balance has gotten better but can still derail completely. Self sabatoge at its finest!

I told myself yesterday if I feel tempted with these smaller celebrations to eat a normal meal and see how I feel. And funny enough i felt great and satisfied. The coc oil in my tea has been very helpful! Good job everyone! You can do this!

Since I started the Whole 30 I've been eating more nuts than I normally do and I've been suffering with itchy skin. Anyone else have this problem? I really think it's the nuts and I'm going to try cutting them out to see if it helps. Today was my first day not eating nuts and they were calling to me all day long, but I didn't give in. Yay!

Just checking in on day 9.  Trying to adjust my meals to follow the template more accurately. 

Augie - nuts are problematic for so many people.  They often cause digestive problems and they are a food with no brakes.  Sometimes nuts/seeds also make me itchy.  Great job on resisting the nuts.

NazzaB -  hope the irritability and depression is better today. Just remember the junky food will not make you feel better.   Following through on your commitment to the W30 will improve your mood in time.

Yes, Augie, nuts in larger quantities do that to me too. When I'm on the run (not home all day, no real set meals) I tend to use them to get by, but they're really borderline "food" in my opinion. They work when I use them as a condiment or dessert, but not as a meal.

NazzB, are you into exercise? I'm not thinking hardcore stuff, but I know when I have that twitchy "I want to munch so bad I could chew down the door post" feeling, a brisk walk, outside, completely changes my mental picture. Few other things will do that for me.

I'm on day 3 officially, after my crash Saturday. Not feeling any of the tiredness, I think because I've done this kind of eating off and on for quite a while now, my body is finally adjusting.

Regarding my SMART goals, I did go for a 25 mile  ride yesterday, easy pace, no problems. Definitely lacking some 'zap' in my legs, but that will be the case for awhile, I know from experience. Did journal, and here I am with a daily post :)

Hope everyone has a good day!

Hello everyone.

I am still on track and doing good if i might say myself. It is easier by the day to turn down food, well not turn it down but not wanting it. Sugar is my main problem and i feel like i don't crave it as i used to. Went to a christmas brunch with my company on sunday. And it went excellent. Did not even want anything on the dessert table. I work out and every day before work at 6:00 am and it is going good. Feeling like things are just getting easier all over. I hope that continues. My mood has been a little all over the place but is stabilizing. 

I really hope that all off you are feeling the good changes and seeing that stuffing food in your mouth is no solution and just adds on the problems. I am trying to realise it myself. I am a huge motional eater and always feel guilty after and during i eat. The last whole 30 did not do it for me to brake the cycle so i hope i get it more why i do it and stop it once and for all.

Just checking in on day 9.  Trying to adjust my meals to follow the template more accurately. 

Augie - nuts are problematic for so many people.  They often cause digestive problems and they are a food with no brakes.  Sometimes nuts/seeds also make me itchy.  Great job on resisting the nuts.

NazzaB -  hope the irritability and depression is better today. Just remember the junky food will not make you feel better.   Following through on your commitment to the W30 will improve your mood in time.

Thanks, I know this and resisted so much junk yesterday! Work is where I have my hardest time because A) I am stressed and B) we have so much junk in our tea room! I don't have any of it in the house but work is where I do most of my mindless eating. I also eat as a form of procrastination which I am trying to avoid. Made myself a cup of tea last night instead of reaching for the chocs.

stravajunkie - I do exercise and do use it as a coping mechanism! I actually did a workout yesterday to de-stress. Sometimes it has the opposite effect but usually it works :)

Laurie, thank for passing along the link for the exercise forum ! I lurked the other day but am not feeling up to exercising and being accountable quite yet.... today was the first day in many, many weeks that I haven't felt zapped and foggy headed so I have been catching up on the mundane. ( laundry/ holiday prep etc.)

It may seem crazy but I made a huge pot of pureed vegetable soup ( cauliflower,carrots, zucchini,onions, and broccoli) on Saturday night... And I'm eating a big bowl with every meal, and I think it may be the reason I'm feeling better. No more bloating or stomach pain ( I think I had a tummy virus AND carb flu) and energy is returning... ((Fingers crossed))

I love pureed soups ( they feel so decadent) but maybe they also have therapeutic value?

Anyone have a similar experience? Or an explanation?

Finished day 12. This is hard. Slept poorly last night, woke up nauseated, and had a headache most of the day. My son seems like he's getting sick, so I hope I don't catch anything from him. Can't wait to get some energy back so I can work out normally again.

The only positive right now is that since cutting way back on almonds last Friday, my skin has really started to clear up. Finally!

I star ted Nov 17 but I was not able to keep away from everything that the whole 30 tells you to keep away from mainly because I fully did not study the labels.

Now started fresh on December 1st but I have not eat sugar since November 15th.something really noticeable has being that because of my weight I had a knee pain that was present even when I was 20 pounds lighter,noW it is strangely gone I want to attribute this to stop eating sugar because it was a constant pain without doing much effort and now I am able to run at least for a mile. a drink a juice every morning after workout which has been working great for me.overall I feel way better than before and I don't think I could risk going back to how I used to feel when I was Eatingeverything I used to eat.

so come on everyone that started in December don't give up now with 10 days in.

Did ok yesterday despite multiple kid related activities where the only snacks were junk food. It's not very difficult to see why we have a problem with childhood obesity. EVERYTHING KIDS DO INVOLVES A SNACK. As if they can't exist for 45 minutes without eating. *PALM SMACK FORHEAD* Today will be a more chaotic workday again. NazzaB I totally relate to the work related stress eating. That's usually what KO's me (and why I've restarted this program at aprox. day 14 multiple times) When you're really under the gun, feel like there are no options, have no brilliant ideas and yet HAVE to produce something good in a time limit, it's hard not to dive into a bag of candy. I'm working on learning new strategies to deal with pressure. Get away from the computer and walk around for 3 minutes, hide in the bathroom and just breathe-alone-for 5 minutes, massage my hands or neck....

I'm easing back into riding. Since I've been on again/off again but mostly on again with this program, my body IS adapting, despite my re-starts. Regarding goals: did journal, wasn't able to get outside for a walk yesterday, but it was honest schedule related impossibility, not my excuses. And I'm doing a daily post.

Laurie, NazzaB, and Stravajunkie thanks for your nut related comments! :) I've been nut free for two days and the itchiness is gone. I had no idea they could cause bloating, but they are totally a food with no brakes for me. They are an all of nothing food for me. Monday I thought about eating them all day long. It was really hard to resist, but yesterday I only thought about them a couple of times, so the craving are leaving fast. Yay!

Bethann - that's so great that you are feeling better! I've never made veggie puree soup before. Do you just put it all in a blender? I do make green veggie juice a lot (with no fruit because that's just too much sugar, ha!) and I have a similar feeling when I drink it. I feel relaxed and energized at once! ha

Another day in the bag...I'm really tired, but it can't be blamed on the whole 30, just raw lack of sleep. Did go for mild bike ride (8 miles/1,000 feet of climbing, so a moderate to decent grade) my legs have no 'zap' but I wasn't bonking or anything. And when I'm this sleep deprived I struggle with the riding too.

Today, planning some ribs for dinner, so that's something to look forward to. I agree with those who have been having sleep issues, despite how tired I am I'm kind of restless when I try to sleep/can't seem to get into a deep sleep. But that's probably partly stress.

I see a significant reduction in puffiness, in my face etc. Also I notice I don't get 'jumpy legs'. And I think my constant low grade acne is better as well.

Did journal, did exercise, and I'm posting. Hope there are lots of other people still alive on this forum :)

Hi all, I'm a little late, but I'm coming anyways :) I just recently found the Whole30, bought the book in November and have been looking forward to starting. Would have started Dec 1st, but we had a trip to St. Maarten the first part of December, so I decided to wait until after that. Got home last night, will be grocery shopping and doing food prep today, my official start date is tomorrow, Dec 12th, which also happens to be my birthday!

Looking forward to this, but nervous about it also. It'll be hard to give up my nightly glass of red wine! We'll see how this goes, glad to have found these forums for support  :)

Welcome Kimberly - great decision to start on your birthday - you are giving yourself a wonderful gift.

Hi ChiggerCane - I am so glad that you are sticking with this group.  We can do this together.  I am planning on staying on the W30 through the whole month of January. 

Two weeks down! I had a work holiday party tonight and all I could do was hold a glass of water in my hand and stare at all the bottles of wine and mountains of cookies and various crackers and dips. I'm already gluten-free and am used to being around food I can't have, but it sure would've been nice to have a glass of wine and some M&Ms. I was good, though. 

Still waiting for some magic to happen in terms of health and energy. I'm still sleepy and kind of sluggish-feeling, and I haven't been sleeping well. I think the magnesium I ordered will come tomorrow, so I hope that will help.

Good morning everyone!

Kellysensei I hope the sleep thing gets better. I know I'm more restless at night, but I think partly it's because I'm used to falling asleep in a sort of carb coma after evening meals, and usually ending the day with several cups of cream and sugar with a little tea in them :) I think my body has to learn how to actually SLEEP, not just shut down due to carb overdose....

Great job everyone! Yesterday was a very not ideal day in my world, lots of dried fruit and nuts (my nemesis) but I didn't fall off the bandwagon, so today is a new day. I need to really work on the high fat/protein snacks (NOT NUTS) when I'm hungry between meals (which isn't really very often). I notice that when I do the "I'm hungry! I'll just have a quick handful of raisins and almonds" that leads to lots more cravings for something sweet, rather than satisfaction.

I do notice that I do much better just eliminating lots of foods as options, than trying to be moderate. To eat 1 cookie triggers massive cravings for at least a BOX of cookies. Then my options are either 1) eat the whole box and feel physically horrible and SOOO upset with myself 2) resist the box  but feel miserable because I'm dealing with overwhelming cravings that don't let me think of anything else. Why not just eliminate that 1 cookie to start with? Whole30 is fairly brilliant.

Day 17 for me today. I'm really frustrated/mad that I chose this month to do this. It's the one time of year with lots of social events I attend (I'm generally not a party person), and here I am, stuck holding a glass of water and eating carrot sticks. I was at two parties this past week with at least a dozen bottles of wine, Kahlua, Bailey's, etc., each. I usually don't keep more than a cheap bottle of wine in my house, because alcohol is expensive, so I would have LOVED to try out some different things for free. I never have more than two glasses of anything, and I haven't gotten drunk in about 12 years, so it's not like I can't stop once I've started.

So yeah, I'm really frustrated I can't have fun at parties this month or enjoy making Christmas cookies with my sons. (We only make cookies a few times per year.) Wondering if I should just quit and try again in March. I already follow a mostly Paleo diet, so it's not like I'm going back to chips and handfuls of candy...

I'm going to try to make it through this week - Thursday will be day 21. But I've decided that yes, I'm going to make (gluten-free) cookies with my sons this weekend, and yes, I'm going to have a glass of wine at a holiday party next Monday. 'Tis the season to enjoy myself. I've been so strict (Paleo) for seven months now. Two cookies and a glass of wine are not going to ruin my health. 

hi again.

going strong on day 15!

i even went to an open bar holiday party and drank water all night!

i think the biggest thing i miss right now are different textures... like a bit of crusty bread or cold, creamy dairy-free ice cream... 

and then of course RED WINE.

has anyone else experienced food boredom while doing whole 30? my appetite has decreased and things just seem less appealing now. i suppose that's good!

good work everybody!

Archived