Needing help from other diabetics

Dcloakey

From what I understand, her dr says she needs them. That's why I'm asking for help for her. Does she follow the plan the same as I would or does she need to eat differently and if so what does she need to change? I really want her to succeed

Dawn

If her doctor is insistent that she eats from that carb group (this includes legumes), there's not much you can do to see that she succeeds.  I'm sure you have no intentions of being in the middle of her relationship with her physician.   I have one that was willing to let me try the Whole 30 and after 30 days, he continues to work with me.  

If she eats differently (carbs), she will not be doing a Whole 30 but will be  continuing to follow her own menu plans.  I know what has worked for me but I don't know anything about her condition.  Does she take shots or manage it with the meds.  I don't know how many years she's had diabetes, how advanced it is.  There are so many variables and her doctor would have to be on board with her giving up all refined carbs/grains/legumes/dairy for 30 days.  Milk sugars are a biggie for diabetes.   Is she a milk drinker?

Does she eat sugars other than fruit?   Does she eat sugars and regulate with insulin?  Would she be too scared not to eat from every food group?

After 6 months of giving up milk sugars, I know how I react to all sugars....that includes milk sugars, legumes, refined and complex carbs.  The only way for her to succeed is for her physician to  have an understanding of the book/rules and food groups that are eliminated for 30 days.   Without that, her doctor will be encouraging her to keep on with the standard guidelines.

I'm strong so I forged on without anyone telling me that up is down and sugar is good.   I do my own research.  I'm smothering it with good fats, proteins, vege and  a small amount of fruit.

These are my go-to diabetic posts written by TravelPhotoWriter.  Accurate and informative.

by TravelPhotoWriter on 16 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for 31 years. For EVERYONE, bread/starches, lactose (dairy sugars), white potatoes, corn, etc increases blood sugar. The only items that keep my glucose even-keeled are Proteins (meat), low-starch veggies (the ones approved on W30), healthy fats, and sparing low-sugar fruits (like berries, NOT like mangos or bananas).  No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue.

Personally, I "triage" things that up my glucose. Example: mashed potatoes are absolutely NOT worth it to me, so I don't eat them, EVER. A fantastic small dish of gelato while walking the streets of Italy, YES PLEASE!  & I just take a little extra insulin to compensate for the spike from sugar and milk. I never drink sweet beverages (lemonade other than made with stevia, regular soda, glasses of juice, "sport drinks," etc), as none of them are "worth it" to me. 

The book It Starts With Food (a.k.a. ISWF) goes into some pretty eye-opening description of what dairy does to blood sugar! Yikes, I didn't know when I was slamming quarts of it the years before my diagnosis....

GOOD LUCK!!

TravelPhotoWriter on 13 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Kmlynne, on 13 Jun 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:snapback.png

I was reading your log today and was interested in your use of frozen oj when your blood sugars dropped.

I was an adult nurse (in a slightly former life - am now a NICU nurse) and back then we had moved away from the fruit juices to treat symptomatic low glucose because, although it worked quickly, it caused a resulting "sugar crash" a couple hours later.  The hospital that I was working in had changed to something like milk with peanut butter and graham crackers (8oz milk, four graham cracker squares with less than a tablespoon of PB).  

Is this a practice that has changed?  or is this something that just works for you?

Just curious.....

Also, looks like things have evened out for you!  Congrats!

Hi! THANKS, yes, it was just a couple of nights, I dropped my Lantus by 1 unit & all was well. Until I dropped more body fat & had to drop 1 more unit - good problem to have!! 

The combo they advised for you makes sense if the long term insulin dose is too much & that is what caused the low. If that is the case, it will simply pull too low again a few hrs later once the spike of OJ is gone until the over-dose runs its course. Thus the call for simple & complex carbs + protein /fat. The only way someone can "rebound" to a low from the OJ spike is if they still produce their own insulin (but that is 99% of all diabetics). For lots of my hypoglycemic friends who aren't on external insulin, I tell them the 2-step plan (next sentence), or else they will feel like crap all over again in 2 hours! What would be most comfortable for anyone in hypo would be 4 oz (ish) juice, let that "settle in" maybe 10 mins to quickly bring the glucose back near 80 (because lows are a HORRIBLE feeling), THEN the rest of the snack to insure against later drops (again, until the over-dose wears off & injected levels are adjusted accordingly). So short answer is that I doubt nurse protocol has changed. Happy to say I'm not sure, as I haven't needed to go back to the hospital for it since I was diagnosed 31 years ago.

For me, as a T1, I'm on such a fine line of adjustment that I don't usually crash until late into my sleep cycle (almost morning), so the OJ is fine. Brings it up & it is fine until a.m. 

Over the years when it's happened early in the night (very rare), I have the juice, wait a few mins, then have a couple of TBSP of nut butter as insurance before heading back to bed, or sometimes a very small bowl of no-sugar oat cereal with almond milk (nutritionally, I just realized it's merely a healthier version of the milk & graham cracker snack!). 

A long answer to a short Q. - I'm probably giddy from conversing with someone (you) who actually had a clue what I'm talking about when referring to my very successful self-care. YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAYING!!! :-D I know more about it than most docs that cross my path, much less nutrition people (understandably). 

http://forum.whole9life.com/user/45545-travelphotowriter/

You can read the rest of them here.   Best Wishes for your friend.

There's plenty of carbs available on Whole30 :) There's no special nutrients in grains that you can't get from meat and vegetables.

Print out some of the PDFs and see if her doctor is okay with the list. W30 isn't ketogenic (although it can be if you want it to be), if they're worried about that.

Honestly, if they're not okay with the food list, I'd look around for a new doctor.

Dairy and grains are not things that lower or stablise blood sugar and they're pretty much always processed. A lot of diabeties information given to patients is woefully out of date. It's not the 1980s anymore, but some of the advice is from there still, over 30 years out of date.

I manage my blood sugar entirely without medication, just by managing my food. My fasting blood sugar is much more stable without grains and dairy.

There's a good summary of the mechanics of diabeties here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/

• Moderators

Diabetics routinely have wonderful results doing a Whole30. The one thing we recommend to diabetics is that they make arrangements with their doctor in advance to adjust their meds as their blood sugar regulates. Blood sugars improve rapidly when people begin a Whole30 and this means those on insulin will need less. We recommend they consult with their doctor about making those changes. 

The point of changing the diet is to stop needing as much insulin. Continuing to eat bread, pasta, added sugars, etc. and thereby keeping blood sugars highs is insane when eliminating them can quickly lead to not needing insulin. Lots of doctors appreciate this and are prepared to help patients make adjustments to meds. Anyone who wants patients to keep blood sugars high by continuing to eat grains... is not thinking clearly. :)

I am a Type II Diabetic and my results were fantastic following Whole 30.  I've done two rounds since August losing 30 lbs.  My A1C dropped from 6.8 to 5.8 during the first round, results from the 2nd round are still pending.  My cholesterol also dropped 40 pts.

In my experience, diabetics will do fantastic following the program.

I am a Type II Diabetic and my results were fantastic following Whole 30.  I've done two rounds since August losing 30 lbs.  My A1C dropped from 6.8 to 5.8 during the first round, results from the 2nd round are still pending.  My cholesterol also dropped 40 pts.

In my experience, diabetics will do fantastic following the program.

Yes, they will have great results if they'll leave the scaredy-cat fear behind.  Throwing more sugar at sugar is like throwing flour at a fire....definition of insanity.

"I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for 31 years. For EVERYONE, bread/starches, lactose (dairy sugars), white potatoes, corn, etc increases blood sugar. The only items that keep my glucose even-keeled are Proteins (meat), low-starch veggies (the ones approved on W30), healthy fats, and sparing low-sugar fruits (like berries, NOT like mangos or bananas).  No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue."   

That's the key to success.   The great habits have to continue.   If you revert back to sugars on Day 31, you're right back in the maze.

Thanks everyone. She will get on later today and read all your post. I know it will all be very helpful to her making decisions. All I know about her diabetes is that she was diagnosed just recently. She just had a Dr apt this week and her A1 has dropped some already. I know this program will help in in many levels of her life, she's just nervous about everything. Is there a support group for diabetics on here she can join? We have a small support group but no one is diabetic. So we can really help her.

Thanks

Dawn

My heart surgeon did visit with me on my last visit about how young binge eaters can transition into Type II down the road.   It's a cautionary tale.    The sooner you can get on grip on that drive to binge it just might save you from the road to diabetes.  You need look no further than our grade schools.

"Ingestion of an entire day’s calories at dinner resulted in a significant increase in fasting glucose levels and a dramatic increase in insulin responses to the evening meal. The diurnal pattern of leptin secretion was altered, such that the gradual rise in leptin from 0800 h observed during the normal diet was abolished, and leptin did not begin to rise during the binge diet until at least 2 h after the evening meal. No changes were demonstrated in insulin sensitivity, follicular growth, or ovulation between the two diets.

We conclude that 1) ingestion of a large number of calories at one time (binge eating) impacts metabolic parameters even when total calories and macronutrients are appropriate for weight;

2) the timing of energy intake is an independent determinant of the diurnal rhythm of leptin secretion, indicating a relatively acute affect of energy balance on leptin dynamics;

3) the mechanism of exaggerated insulin secretion after a binge meal remains to be determined, but may be related to the altered diurnal pattern of leptin secretion;

4) as most binge eating episodes in the population are associated with the ingestion of excess calories, it is hypothesized that binge eating behavior is associated with even greater metabolic dysfunction than that described herein."

Dawn, the fear factor prevents many from taking charge and reversing the 'curse' of diabetes.

Hi everyone my name is Sheena and I am the one Dawn was talking about.  I have diabeties 2 and have had it for a year.  I was pre diabetic for over a year.  My mother was diabetic and was on meds and never changed her eating.  I told my doctor I didnt want to be like her.  We are trying to control it with diet and exercise.  I have other medical issues that I want to get under control and be medication free.  I think I explained things wrong to Dawn.  My doctor told me it was better to eat 6 small balanced meals a day to keep from my sugars going high and dropping low.  (which mine does)  I have a hard time doing the 6 small meals.  I have struggled with all kind of diets and lose a few gain it back.  My concern about the carbs is that if I only got them from vegetables and fruit would my levels drop too much.  

I know that when I lose weight my A1C will go down and so will my blood pressure.  My A1c dropped from 6.6 to 6.2 this last time and I had gained 5 lbs but as doctor explained that I was more active this last go around.

Thank you everyone for your input.  I am going to start the whole 90 on saturday.

I agree praxisproject that there is a lot of information that is out dated.   

you do eat carbs, Carrots, sweet potato, potatoes, etc…..

Yes...I understand that I will be eating some carbs....but not nearly as many as I usually do. I take metformin and I may have to have the doc lower the dose if my sugar goes down too far. I will just wait and see what happens. Ideally I'd like to get off meds all together. My A1C is only 5. 6...so I have good control now. 

Hi everyone my name is Sheena and I am the one Dawn was talking about.  I have diabeties 2 and have had it for a year.  I was pre diabetic for over a year.  My mother was diabetic and was on meds and never changed her eating.  I told my doctor I didnt want to be like her.  We are trying to control it with diet and exercise.  I have other medical issues that I want to get under control and be medication free.  I think I explained things wrong to Dawn.  My doctor told me it was better to eat 6 small balanced meals a day to keep from my sugars going high and dropping low.  (which mine does)  I have a hard time doing the 6 small meals.  I have struggled with all kind of diets and lose a few gain it back.  My concern about the carbs is that if I only got them from vegetables and fruit would my levels drop too much.  

I know that when I lose weight my A1C will go down and so will my blood pressure.  My A1c dropped from 6.6 to 6.2 this last time and I had gained 5 lbs but as doctor explained that I was more active this last go around.

Thank you everyone for your input.  I am going to start the whole 90 on saturday.

I agree praxisproject that there is a lot of information that is out dated.   

Regarding the bolded part: you will need six small meals a day if you are eating a grain-based standard American diet. This is because it tends to cause your blood sugars to spike and crash, over and over throughout the day. As you begin Whole30, you may find that eating our recommended three meals a day is a new experience, and you may eat more than three meals per day at first - that's OK. But as time goes on, you'll discover that your blood sugar does not spike and crash as much on Whole30 as it does on the SAD (Standard American Diet), and three meals will work well.

We have a section in the forums for Medical Conditions, lots of us have more than one :)

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/13-whole30-with-medical-conditions/

I was classed as predabetic, but my blood sugar was highly erratic, fasted levels anywhere from 10-12 down to 5.x (never had insulin - my doctor didn't think it was a good idea as I'm insulin resistant).

Now I'm mostly 5.x with very few spikes, and rarely spike over 6 :)

If you stick to the template, it really stabilises your levels, even with "snacks", if they're on template, as you don't get those big spikes and crashes. As you stablise, 3 meals a day without snacks will become the norm, but you don't have to do it all in one go.

Sweet potato is better for me than white potato for avoiding crashes, but I can even have white regular potato now without such big spikes.

Sleep was really important for improving my levels too, as was exercise (I found lifting heavy things better than cardio, which seemed to give me more crashes).

Eating close to wake up time also helped bring me stablity.

• 3 weeks later...

7 Things Diabetes Taught Me

What I learned from my diagnosis, and how these life lessons may help others.

By Randy Jackson

Randy-Jackson-EH-SHoot-1-053-article.jpg

Life is full of lessons – you just have to look for them, listen up, and learn.

One of my first life lessons was something my grandma taught me: Nobody’s perfect. That’s why my credo is, “You don’t have to be perfect ... just pretty good.” Working in the music industry with so many talented people has also taught me that you’ve got to believe in yourself and keep it real.

Since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I’ve learned some things about the disease and myself – things that can help others take charge of their health. Here are seven of them:

1. Denial is dangerous. I shouldn’t have been shocked when the doctor told me I had diabetes. The signs were there all along. I’ve got mirrors and scales, so I know when I’m getting bigger and heavier. When I was at the gym or climbing stairs, I was out of breath. Sometimes you live in denial, and you don’t think it’s going to happen to you – until it does.

2. Type 2 diabetes isn’t just an older person’s disease. More and more young people, even kids, are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Whatever your age, obesity and lack of exercise raise your risk for the disease.

3. Knowledge is king. If you have diabetes, you’ve got to watch your ABCs: A is your A1C blood sugar level, B is your blood pressure, and C is cholesterol. When it comes to my blood sugar, I check it every day, three times a day sometimes. Your doctor will help set the right ABC goals for you.

4. Play to your strengths. Find ways to make exercise fun, not a chore. I enjoy tennis, so I try to play three or four days a week for a couple of hours. You burn a lot of calories chasing tennis balls around. I love music, so I have all kinds of playlists on my iPod. Sometimes I get so lost in the music, I don’t even notice how long I’ve been working out.

5. Know your weaknesses. I know what my food temptations are – things like ice cream and pasta. So I just don’t keep that much of them around the house. It cuts down the risk of cheating on your diet.

6. Gastric bypass isn’t a quick fix. Gastric bypass surgery was a last-ditch effort for me. It can help jump-start your weight loss, but it’s not a cure. You still have to do the work, watch what you eat, and exercise. Like with any surgery, talk to your doctor about the pros and cons.

7. There’s no day off with diabetes. Even if you don’t have symptoms, you’ve got to keep the disease under control to avoid any complications. Diabetes can raise your risk for things like heart disease, kidney disease, liver damage, vision loss...some pretty serious stuff. Just remember that you can do this, but you need to have an action plan and stick to it.

The most important thing diabetes taught me is how lucky I am. After a close call, I’m in good health – and I’m going to keep it that way.

Last Updated: 12/04/2014

Archived