Mo rothar féin

Derval

mo rothar féin = my own bike in Irish

Inspired by Ride your own bike article I feel after 3 whole 21-30's (I did a 30, a 21, then a 25, all since April 1st) I am ready to go forward without a set date for another round, I'm just going to see where my lil' bike takes me....If I hit rough terrain I'll be hopping back on the Whole30 bus!

Please note that if you are on your W30 not everything pictured/mentioned may be compliant but I will do my best to note anything that's not. Maybe with putting it in bold...appropriate as "bold" is Irish venacular for naughty :D

So today I actually stayed 100% compliant anyway, how boring ;) but after a pretty wild weekend I still feel out of sorts...I got an awesome sleep last night - went to bed when I was putting my 5yo to bed at 7.30, lights out & earplugs in at 8.30pm and slept for 12 hrs :wub:

Tummy still not 100% today (wtf is up with that, the dairy & wine on Thurs still?? the wine on Saturday?) so I stayed safe food wise.

9am - sweet potato pancakes with sausages. I tried to make them in the syle of Irish potato cakes but added an egg, which was foolish, and then had to add ground almonds to soak up the wetness. They tasted fine, a bit sweet (actually if you added cinnamon they might make a nice sweet treat). There was carmelised onion in there too.

0463bef0ea9d11e1a2e022000a1cdc13_6.jpg

11am - Chalean Extreme Circuit 1 - my first time doing this workout & omg was it tough! pws - chicken mini fillet

1pm - what's the fridge salad + 2 hb egg with mayo & sprinkle of smoked paprika

cf2b8f7ceac111e19f0012313814105b_6.jpg

5pm - a few toasted coconut flakes

6.30pm - dry cured gammon, roasted cauli, brocolli

e868449eeaee11e1bbd422000a1e954d_6.jpg

More pork! There won't be a piggy left in Ireland the way I'm going. And I realised when I was checking out the shopping that all the meat I had bought was pork too :rolleyes: - sausages, pork belly and the above gammon....

Oh I did pick up a pack of chicken livers (they were "reduced to clear" for 75c so a good opportunity to try them), they are in the freezer so feel free to suggest ways to make them yummy :)

Thought for the day.....

102034747777568654_8damKBih_f.jpg

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derval, congrats on your journey! I'll hang out here with you, if only for the inspiration I'm getting from your menus! :D Nothing wrong with pork, after all. I'm not familiar with gammon, though - from the picture it looks a bit like what I'd call ham. Looks tasty, though!

Hi Derval, great to see the 'rothar fein' log up and running.

The dodgy tummy might be connected to the dairy alright-I certainly had that when I had cream after a full Whole30 before. The wine didn't seem to cause any adverse effects for me funnily enough.

Nice thought for the day too-I must remember that one.

Could be either really! :) For me, the cream after one W30 and a greek yogurt after my second one, caused cramps and involved not straying too far from the loo. However, after some Gubbeen cheese, there wasn't a bother on me. I suppose it just depends what type of dairy (if any) you are sensitive to.

Ok so tummy was still feeling a bit iffy today so I think it was more than the booze...

Exercise rest day

8.30am - some of leftover gammon from last night, mushrooms & carmelised onions all fried up together "a la JohhnyM" - ie with a fried egg on top :D

8ad364aaeb6411e180961231380fe8a6_6.jpg

Oh and I made cold pressed coffee so had a mug of that, it was nice, didn't have the bitterness, but not sure it's worth the trouble...

Between breakfast & lunch my tummy felt mighty queasy, annoying!

Went to the shops and had a browse in a Polish food store - wow they had kimchi! so even though the ingredients were in German I took my chances as I've been eager to try it...Hit google transalte when I got home & yay no sugar, but boooooo googled E621 and it is msg..So not w30 compliant. I really liked it & (maybe psychosomatically) felt it settled the belly

a9fddc80eb8611e1b18c12313d051969_6.jpg

I also bought some really nice looking minced...you guessed it...pork! from their butcher counter - a thicker grind than what I get in the supermarket & cheaper too.

Not much of an appetite after the kimchi so instead of a proper lunch I just kind of grazed....had a boiled egg, a slice of prosciutto, a banana & hazlenut butter...Not ideal.

In the afternoon Lily & I made up 2 jars off seasoning - pizza & sausage from the well fed book

77a6a56aeba811e19c6622000a1e89ba_6.jpg

6pm - Lamb with sweet potato for dinner - this was very easy & tasty. This was just for me & dh, kids had :unsure: pizza.

d3de2b12ebaf11e192c922000a1cbf2b_6.jpg

While this was cooking I fried up the pork mince with a chopped red onion & the sausage seasoning.

After dinner there was (purposefully) some sweet potato & onion left over so I fried up some mushrooms, added the pork & 8 beaten eggs and did an egg bake for breakfast for the coming days.

While I was putting dd to bed I had a little bowl of toasted coconut flakes & sultanas (notw30, coated with veg oil - must get better ones in health food shop....) mixed.

248823948132819573_YDup6OgQ_b.jpg

9am - egg loaf I made yesterday, nyom nyom . Black coffee

4d3774f0ec2d11e1afe522000a1c8934_6.jpg

10.30 - Chalean Extreme lean Circuit 2 - killer. pws chicken mini fillet

12.45 - hot smoked salmon. kimchi, coffee w' coconut milk. Some dark chocolate "bark" a la Mark Sisson. I madee this for a friend last week but she gave it back to me as I forgot she had a coconut sensitivity :rolleyes: . I melted together 85% lindt, a tablespoon or so of coconut oil, coconut flakes & sea salt and then re-set it spreadout thin - very good. Obviously not w30!

4.30pm - after a truckload of cleaning & tidying (yay me!!) I had some toasted coconut flakes & sultanas

5.45pm - Crispy duck "pancakes" - the skin has a sweet/soy coating so not w30, but I didn't touch the hoisin sauce and used lettuce boats instead of the trad. pancakes. Made a big pan of stir-fried veg with aminos & sesame oil too.

b927e760ec7a11e1979222000a1e8aa2_6.jpg

Will have an apple & almond butter later I think....

I love that you're logging on your own bike! You're daughter's smile is stunning! My husband always tells his daughter(my beautiful step daughter) - Always remember, there are two things that never go out of style - nice skin and a nice smile!

Not such great day today, seems like my brakes malfunctioned :blink:

8.30 am - egg loaf, black coffee

11am - coffee with coconut milk

exercise rest day

12.30 pm - smoked salmon & kimchi, banana & hazlenut butter

Later in the afternoon I don't know what got in to me, I just plonked down with the laptop and ate and ate :(

bowl of coconut flakes & sultanas, full bags worth of kale made in to crisps, 20g 85% Lindt with hazlenut butter....a large portion of grapes...jeez....

5.30pm - roasted cauli, cumin & gee carrots,slow roast pork belly

2167b776ed4111e180ac22000a1e8a61_6.jpg

Sorry about your bad afternoon. It happens to me too. I swore off nuts for the week and then hubby said the wrong thing and I ate a small bag of them. On the bright side, i got rid of the almond butter several days ago. I could have done much worse with that!

So now that you are riding your own bike, do you have any specific goals set for the next few months? Food goals? Fitness goals? Life goals? I am really in to settting goals for myself lately because otherwise I keep standing still as life passes me by. Don't want to live that way for the second half of my life... :)

Have a great evening. Look forward to your food pics tomorrow.

So now that you are riding your own bike, do you have any specific goals set for the next few months? Food goals? Fitness goals? Life goals? I am really in to settting goals for myself lately because otherwise I keep standing still as life passes me by. Don't want to live that way for the second half of my life... :)

I''ll have to come back to yout here when I'm in a more positive frame of mind, my goal at this very minute is not to burst out of my jeans :lol:

Fiitnes goals have been in my head for a while - finish Chalean Extreme (3 weeks to go) then get back to heavy lifting at gym (get a few p.t sessions) and hit a 100kg deadlift by Christmas B)

Wow 100 kg deadlift. I'd be happy just to get to 125 lbs. :)

I got to a 95kg 1rm back when I did Starting Strength in early 2010. I am holding on to the belief that I can still get up there..but of course I am like 10kg lighter now so maybe that will change things...watch this space!

Evening peeps.

Dh had day off today so it feels like a Sunday!

9am - egg loaf

10am - Chalean Extrme lean circuit 3 , pws - chicken mini fillet

12.30 - brought kids to movies. I got my old fav a skinny cappucino & chocolate (70& truffle) from Butlers cafe. Tummy felt a bit weird after, but it might have been hunger...I brought my lunch but not a fork :( Had an apple..

3.20pm - omg sooooo hungry, threw in 2 hb eggs extra into movie salad.

30ebcafaedf711e193761231380459a1_6.jpg

6pm - a bit of off-roading at dinner. Had the fab Thomas Keller roast chicken. Some "best ever brocolli" that included parmesan, rocket leaves, and 2 small glasses of red wine.

46d41f2cee0e11e1a2ab22000a1e87b3_6.jpg

^ I probably ate the same amount again standing over the roasting tray :lol:

Definitely not as much mindless snacking as yesterday, which is good, but plenty of treats. Have no desire to have more wine. Have no desire to do the friggin' dishes either :angry:

^ I probably ate the same amount again standing over the roasting tray :lol:

Definitely not as much mindless snacking as yesterday, which is good, but plenty of treats. Have no desire to have more wine. Have no desire to do the friggin' dishes either :angry:

I love the bits in the roasting tray! We would fight over them when I was a kid...

Hope you get your groove back Derval! Take a deep breath and just relax.. this is just one moment in time, and it too shall pass..

Evening all/Lola ;)

9am - egg loaf, black coffee

10.30am - 5k run 4 weeks to go till my race alongside the boy so better get back out there, last run was in May, so I was super slow.

12.30 - salad of rocket, baby gem, cucumber, onions, avo, & some non w30 ham. Apple & almond butter

3pm - carrot sticks & cashew butter

5.30pm - onion, sausage & sweet potato hash with fried egg. Very tasty but not picture pretty :)

Sitting down now to watch Pirates of the Caribbean with apple & cinnamon tea while family eat trifle :huh:

Eta - I caved and had a little bowl of coconut flakes, sultanas and 10g of 85% Lindt broken into tiny pieces.

Hi Derval-

I didn't realize you were off on a bike tour of Ireland! :) We've been off-roading since finishing our whole 30 at the end of July. Eating compliant during the week (well, I have been eating compliant-discovered that DH has been taking some seriously scenic tours mid-week! :o ) and enjoying treats on the weekends. I think we need another strict whole30...it's getting harder to reign in the treats every weekend. First weekend was one meal, second weekend was two meals, third weekend was three meals plus a dessert...you get the picture!

I've let a friend borrow my copy of ISWF and I think I am going to re-read it when I get it back and plan another whole30...I don't ever want to feel the way I felt pre-whole30 again. Plus, I got a lot of nice new clothes and I look damn good if I do say so myself! ;)

So, thanks for posting your bike tour adventures. Keep up the good work!

Good on you for getting out for the run! Did your dh do the 10 miler in the Phoenix Park today? My hubby did it and enjoyed it. Would love to be able to run outdoors myself but dodgy hip acts up so I find I can only run on the treadmill or else I am in agony the next day.

Your coconut flakes, sultanas and Lindt sounds way nicer than trifle!

Archived