Quick and easy breakfast for toddler

EleanorB

Hello, 

My husband and I finished our W30 two weeks ago and bar a couple of re-intro days, have carried on.  This has led us to discuss the possible hypocrisy of making us the healthiest versions of ourselves, but not doing the same for our 15 month old son.  

When at home, he is very good at eating what we eat and loves fish and vegetables (he's less keen on meat, except sausages).  He goes to nursery 4 days a week and eats the food they provide.  I would need to speak to them if I wanted to change what he ate there, but it would be possible as I know that they cater for children with intolerance/allergies. I could also swap his snacks (usually rice cakes or granola bars) to paleo equivalent (note - we're not talking about doing a W30 here). 

However, the one issue we foresee is breakfast.  He currently has porridge or wheatabix for breakfast and usually my husband has about 15 minutes before having to get him out the door.  It would not be feasible to cook anything like an omelette.  

Does anyone have any ideas or recipes for something that could be made in advance or thrown together quickly which we could give him for breakfast? 

Thanks! 

Eleanor

• Administrators

How about making the egg "muffins" or "mini quiches" that are all over the internet? Those can be made on the weekend and then heated up...and they are basically handheld....and you can cram a bunch of veggies into them.

Thanks ladyshanny, I thought about making those. And maybe also trying a paleo porridge.

I had a look at the nursery menu and was horrified by how it was ALL grain based carbs (pasta, bread, etc). I never really looked at it in much detail, but with my new set of eyes, it really shocked me. I'm currently reading 'Wheat Belly' which probably makes me see it as even worse.

My kids eat the same as me for breakfast, generally a hash of pork mince, bacon, onion, spinach with sweet potato and avo. Kids have no idea what 'breakfast' food is and will eat whatever its in front of them, even if it takes a few days to get used to. My six year old asked why wewere eating sweet potato for dinner the other night as she thought it was weird since that's what we eat for breakfast! You could easily make something like this in bulk to reheat at preschool.

He's not a fan of ground meat (I think it's a texture thing) and also we wouldn't be able to cook it in the morning. We tend to make our breakfast the night before. Although - I do agree that he'll eat whatever is I front of him, regardless of the time of day :)

Has anyone got a good recipe for nut free paleo porridge?

nut free paleo porridge?

I really think this is going in the wrong direction. Even the nut-based porridges are too close to the old, carby sweet breakfasts we are trying to avoid. The meal template is perfect, even for kids; Egg muffins work well, or meat muffins or hard boiled eggs or meatballs. Any of those can be prepared in advance and eaten with a variety of cold vegetables (i do cold steamed broccoli or green beans, raw red and yellow bell peppers, sometimes cold roasted sweet potato cubes).

Here is a fun recipe for breakfast. I do it as smaller meatballs and leave out most ingredients (just ground turkey, blueberries, salt and an egg), but I started with this recipe. http://summerinnanen.com/turkey-blueberry-breakfast-muffins

I usually have an omelette or leftovers, but I'm usually at work already and my husband does the morning routine with our son. We're going to start making his breakfast the night before, when we do ours, and see how that goes.

Next challenge: speaking to the nursery about his grain based carbohydrate heavy menu!

What about the banana & egg "pancakes"?  Throw eggs & bananas in a blender (ratio of 1 banana: 2 eggs), then pan-fry in some ghee until browned on the outside.  They freeze/reheat great, easily turn into finger food, and are pretty toddler-tastebud-friendly.  You could probably hide some shredded veggies in them, too, although I've never tried. 

• 4 weeks later...

What about olives (the sliced black ones are also great for their fine motor skills - I used to just put them directly onto the high chair tray) dried apricots, hard boiled egg, fruit you have cut the night before or even just regular homemade baby mash.

• 2 weeks later...

For my 15 month old I make him scrambled eggs with a little sausage if I have a few minutes. If not, I usually have paleo pudding in the fridge (one banana blended with 1/3 cup coconut milk and then 2 TBSP of chia seeds mixed in) and will mix a little almond butter with it and feed him that. 

My son also seemed to have an aversion to meats, but then I figured out he was having a hard time chewing them. Now for all of his foods I mix it with an immersion blender and he slurps everything down. He just had steak and broccoli soup (blended together) last night and loved it. The immersion blender is super quick an you can mix tons of veggies in with any meat. I've even given him blended chicken, squash, and spinach for breakfast because we had some left over from the night before. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This may sound gross, but you could always scramble some eggs the night before and then reheat in the microwave in the am... We sometimes do this if our daughter doesn't finish her eggs in the am. 

Or prep taco meat/ground beef to use as well. 

Can you send those little food pouches to school with him for snack time? We love using Ella's Kitchen. 

Goodluck!  :)

I make a big frittata in a cast iron skillet with veggies and sweet or white potatoes and then we all eat that for breakfast for several days. We don't have a microwave but it would heat up fine in there, or I've even noticed that my toddler doesn't care whether it's cold or warm! I love feeding my daughter eggs for breakfast because then no matter what she eats the rest of the day I know she's gotten some good protein! 

I thought the hardboiled egg idea someone else mentioned was really smart, too. They'd be so easy to make in advance and chop up. 

• 2 weeks later...

What about the banana & egg "pancakes"?  Throw eggs & bananas in a blender (ratio of 1 banana: 2 eggs), then pan-fry in some ghee until browned on the outside.  They freeze/reheat great, easily turn into finger food, and are pretty toddler-tastebud-friendly.  You could probably hide some shredded veggies in them, too, although I've never tried. 

I second this. I actually just hand-mix mine, but they are toddler approved. We cook ours in coconut oil, sometimes with blueberries mixed in. My 2 year old loves them!

• 2 weeks later...

I made "Paleo pancakes" once and they were roundly rejected. Agree with Miss Mary that is doesn't make sense to go through the trouble of eating healthfully only to get your kids stuck on questionably healthy SWYPO options.

All the preschoolers in my daughter's coop love hard boiled eggs. And tuna. Add some pepper strips and voila. Just like with grown ups, kids don't have to eat "breakfast" for breakfast. It's especially easy to give very small kids a template meal since they don't have the sweet gooey associations we have. If I was starting over with my kids I'd totally avoid all porridges cereals and pancakes. (Paleo porridge: seems a contradiction in terms, right?) We did baby led weaning and I never gave them cereals or mush--till they were older. Now I wish I'd stuck with whole foods all the way through.

When they were babies and toddlers my kids both loved omlettes cut into strips. This could be a make ahead option to eat with some raw veg, or if it veg was mixed in.

• 1 month later...

For those with babies that have egg allergies, I found that my baby is only allergic to the egg WHITE. He can have all the yolk he wants. I read that most babies with egg allergies are only allergic to the white, which is why I tried the yolk -VERY CAREFULLY!  I make him egg yolks every morning then I eat the egg whites with avocado and tomatillo salsa mmmmm! Also what ever yolk he doesn't eat I save it and put it back in the skillet with more coconut oil the next morning (He's under weight so I am just trying to get more fat in him!)

Archived