Day 27

Breakfast Chicken, fennel, kale, asparagus 

Lunch same as breakfast

Dinner steak, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower

Day 28

Breakfast same as yesterday's dinner

Lunch turkey, brussel sprouts, celery, arugula

Dinner same as lunch

Yay! I did it! I wasn't sure I would be able to so I'm really proud of myself. I've been paleo since August but would always end up eating junk every two weeks or so. I'm so excited and proud of myself. I learned a lot about myself by following the whole 30. I figured out that I have histamine intolerance. I've suffered from headaches most of my life. They got better a few years ago when I was diagnosed with celiac disease and I cut gluten out, but I would still get the occasional headache. Since I've been eating low histamine they've been totally gone. I also discovered that, at least for now, I don't tolerate fruit or nuts very well. I had a hard time cutting these out, but I'm starting round 2 tomorrow and I vow to make it fruit and nut free. I never experienced the awesome energy and great sleep that others have described, but I have Lyme disease and I know that's why. I really feel like I need to stick with this. I know it will help me as I'm battling this disease, so round 2 starts tomorrow!

My next Whole 30 (or Whole 60) will start on December 31 and end on January 29. It will be an AIP, low histamine, no fruit Whole 30 in order to maximize my healing! I'm so excited to see what happens in the next 30 days!

Thanks, Laurie! How are you?

The biggest change I had was that my cravings for junk foods went away. Also, at first it was really hard to only eat three times a day. Before the whole 30 I was always hungry and if I couldn't eat right away I'd get super cranky. With the whole 30 my blood sugar levels really stabilized and if I ever got hungry, I was just hungry. I was no longer hungry and cranky.

Day 31

Breakfast - chicken, coconut oil, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, avocado

Lunch - grass fed beef, coconut oil, a little taste of coconut butter (yum!), zucchini noodles (yum again!), celery, carrots, broccoli, olives

Dinner - chicken, coconut oil, a little coconut butter, carrots, kale, brussel sprouts, broccoli

Today was my first day with no fruit and nuts! I did it, but it was hard! The bananas and grapes were calling to me, but I didn't listen to 'em!

So I'm with you today on the no fruit.  I've got the no nuts down.  Honestly, I don't know if I can do the no fruit.  Yesterday, I had a banana and an orange.  I am so impressed that you've got the 3 meals a day down.  I wish I could do that.  I must try harder.

Today I am hosting a New Year's brunch for my family and Steve's family.  I am not worried about the food because there will be gluten and I don't eat gluten.  I'll just eat protein and veggies.  Hopefully, I will not use fruit as my crutch.  The goal for today will be to focus on the 3 meals and think before I  eat in a mindless manner.

I'll connect with you both on here and through email (for matters more private).

Hope the New Year brings you lots of heath and happiness!

Hey, Laurie!

I hope you had a great brunch and a Happy New Year! It took a long time to get used to eating just three meals a day; at least two weeks, but now it's pretty easy. I wake up starving in the morning! How did you do today? Do you have a log on here? I'll check after I make my post.

DAY 32

Breakfast - grass fed beef, coconut oil, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus

Lunch - chicken, coconut oil, celery, romaine, arugula, olives, avocado

Dinner - grass fed beef, coconut oil, fennel, carrots, broccoli

Last night I had a terrible headache and I think it was due to the coconut butter. So, I'm going to cut that out for now. Today was hard. I was craving fruit and sugar like crazy. I originally cut out fruit because my stomach can't handle it, but now I'm realizing how much it was feeding my sugar craving because today I wanted candy, and soda, and things that I haven't craved for a long time. So, I guess the small amount of fruit I was eating was keeping the sugar dragon alive. I'm hoping that these cravings are just temporary. I also feel like I'm going trough withdrawals a little bit. It's nothing like when I first went paleo, but I feel a little icky. 

Day 33

Breakfast- chicken, avocado, celery, romaine, arugula, handful of olives, carrots

Lunch - I really liked my lunch today. Grass fed beef, coconut oil, endive, cabbage, carrots. I always use lots of herbs and spices. Usually garlic, oregano, and parsley. Today I added cinnamon and it was so yummy.

Dinner - bone broth, grass fed steak, coconut oil, artichokes, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli

Yesterday I thought I had the carb flu from cutting out fruit. Tonight I'm starting to think I have the actual flu, or it could just be Lyme disease (it feels like the flu sometimes). I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Glad I just made a batch of bone broth.

Hi Heather - Hope you are feeling better.  Brunch was very good. I was fruit free until the evening.  I thought I was ready to give up the fruit but maybe not.  I have been eating some fruit every day.  Today, I ate non complaint chicken (sugar in the seasonings) when I was out to eat with my boyfriend and his daughter.  I was fine with my decision to eat the chicken.   On Tuesday, I am having a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis so I have to drink fluids which will mess with the W30.  Therefore, my start date will be on Wednesday.  I won't be deviating much in the next few days.  Paleo is still my lifestyle of choice.

Question - do you ever get stomach aches from all the veggies?  I have IBS so I often get stomach aches and a bloated stomach.  I hate that feeling!

I  don't have a journal.  I am thinking about starting one on Wednesday.

Hi, Laurie,

Good for you for keeping close to the whole 30 even when you aren't officaly on it! I'm impressed! I'm having a hard time with the no fruit but I'm sure I'll adjust. I've bern having weird sugar dreams where I eat candy and ice cream. It's weird to me that just that small amount I was eating is having this big of an effect on me.

I've read that people who have stomach issues should cook all their veggies and cut them into small pieces so they are easier to digest. So I don't get a bloated stomach when I cook them. The couple times that I ate them raw I did get a tummy ache. Hope that helps. Do you eat a lot of raw veggies?

Day 34

Breakfast- grass fed beef, coconut oil, cabbage, endive, carrots

Lunch - I made cracklin chicken from nomnom paleo. It was so tasty. I also had coconut oil, broccoli, and carrots, and a few olives

Dinner - bone broth, coconut oil, grass fed steak, zucchini, cauliflower, artichokes, broccoli

Day 35

Really not feeling well today. I wasn't hungry and was only able to eat two meals.

Breakfast- chicken, broccoli, carrots, coconut oil

Lunch - grass fed beef, bone broth, coconut oil, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts

Dinner - was not feeling well enough to eat dinner

Day 36

Woke up and still wasn't feeling well so breakfast did not happen.

Lunch - grass fed beef, lettuce mix (still wasn't able to eat a whole lot)

Dinner - starting to feel a little better and had more of an appetite. Grass fed beef, avocado, coconut oil, kale, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, carrots

I can't believe I've gone six days without fruit and nuts!!!! My stomach does feel much better and my skin has stopped itching. Yay!

You deserve six gold stars for six days without fruit and nuts.   AIP, no starchy veggies (except for carrots) and 3 meals a day - I call that amazing and I really want to get on your W30 wagon.

I have been drinking a lot of diet coke the last few days.  Food is mostly paleo but the diet coke (left over from New Years Brunch - which was for the guests, not me) is bad.  I am ready for Wed, Jan 7th for my day 1.   You asked about the veggies - most of them are cooked but I still get killer stomach aches and have just been feeling lousy. The pain could also be from the fruit or  caf. coffee.   I also have a skin disease which  causes lots of ugly lesions and itching. Years ago, I worked with a naturopathic doctor and she suggested that I eat mostly paleo and take supplements.  Unfortunately, the diet and supplements did not work for me.  As Melissa and Dallas say, it starts with food, but there are often other variables that are causing the problems.  I do have medication for the skin but it is a very strong immunosuppressant that can have very bad side effects so I am currently not taking it.  I am thinking about trying a AIP whole 30 with you.  It certainly can't hurt but it may help. I will allow decaf coffee.

So happy to see that you joined the Dirty 30 group starting next week.  I was going to ask you if you wanted to join.  The group is different than other groups.  We were a really close group and discussed so many issues outside of the food.  

Sometimes I get behind in emailing.  I am planning on sending you an email to discuss a few personal topics.

Feel better.  Hope you are able to eat three meals today. 

Laurie, thank you so much for your encouragement! It is so motivating to read messages like yours! Eliminating fruit and nuts has been hard, but my stomach is thanking me. I crave fruit all day long though. I'm hoping the cravings go away soon. I'm excited for you to start tomorrow!

Have you ever heard of FODMAPS? I don't know too much about it, but it's a type of food intolerance to certain types of fruit and veggies and it causes stomach problems. I think there is a breath test that can diagnose it. I was wondering if I had it because of my intolerance to fruit but I think it's just the candida because the veggies on the list don't bother me.

I'm so sorry about your skin condition! That sounds terrible! Maybe the AIP would help. Like you said, it can't hurt. I'm with you though, it starts with food, but sometimes we also need good medical care :)

I used to have a terrible Diet Coke addiction! Once I start drinking it I can't stop! Ha!

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you have a great day one! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Day 37

Breakfast - soup (bone broth, steak, artichokes, broccoli, cauliflower) and coconut oil

Lunch - grass fed beef hamburger patty, mixed greens, cucumbers, micro greens, olive oil

Dinner - made cracklin chicken from mom nom paleo again. It should be called crack chicken. Ha

Also had coconut oil, 1/2 avocado, broccoli and carrots

Day 38

Breakfast- chicken, avocado, olives, broccoli

Lunch - hamburger patty, mixed lettuce, micro greens, cucumber

Dinner - grass fed steak, coconut oil, avocado, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, celery

Hi Heather.  I made it through the first 2 days without fruit.  The first day was very easy.  Today was not bad but I did notice an orange staring at me when I opened the refrigerator.  Luckily, the orange did not "talk" to me.  I don't even like fruit so much anymore; eating it is just a bad habit.  To me, fruit is a fun food and is different than all the other compliant foods.  I guess it's all the sugar and carbs.  I don't know if I will be able to give up the fruit for the whole 30 days but I will definitely decrease my intake.  Hopefully, the reduction in fruit will help my stomach.

Hi Laurie! Good job! Cutting the fruit out is really hard! Today some cherries were talking to me. I just slammed the fridge on them. I talked to my doc today and he encouraged me to keep going, so I'm going to keep with it. I drink a lot of sparkling water as a treat. Ha

It has totally helped my stomach! I would have stomach pains all the time and I haven't had any since I cut it out.

Has it been hard to stop drinking diet coke? If I have just a sip of one I crave it constantly for days!

Day 39

Breakfast - grass fed beef, coconut oil, kale, brussel sprouts, broccoli

Lunch - hamburger patty, mixed greens, micro greens, cucumbers

Dinner - turkey, purple cauliflower. It was soooooo good! Purple cauliflower is my new favorite. Plus it's really pretty! Ha

I forgot to respond to your comment about Fodmaps.  Sometimes I think those could be a problem but I just don't know.   Today is my fourth day without fruit (also switched to decaf coffee) and I do feel better.   I am still undergoing tests to find out why I have so many stomach aches.  The result of my cat scan showed a few issues so I am now scheduled for an endoscopy and pelvic ultra sound.  I am not too concerned, just looking for answers. In the meantime, it's my responsibility to nourish myself in the healthiest way.

Have you been reading the posts on the "Return of the Dirty 30"?  Dave, the leader of the group, has a great sense of humor.  Get ready for lots of fun with the dirty 30.

Archived