My first Whole30 starts TODAY! November 29, 2014

freshstart30

Today I begin my first Whole30 challenge. I am very excited. I was hooked when I read the science-y stuff. It's so logical. I had been slowly coming to the realization over the last year that food MUST be about more than taste, it HAD to be about fueling your body, but I always WANTED the things that were bad for me. I'll admit, I was a little scared to share it with my best friend (we have been struggleing with weightloss together for years) because on the surface it does sound like another fad. But when you get down to the details it is so much more.

I discovered Whole30 this past Monday (November 24). I had just had my 29th birthday the day before, and knew I needed to make a big change in my lifestyle before I hit 30. I am confident Whole30 will be that change. I'm so excited for this journey and to hear about the journeys of others along the way.

Today is my first Day One too!  Your background story sounds so much like mine, right down to the best friend situation, but I have 10 years on you. ;)  I recently turned 39 and want to be the best 40 year old me I can possibly be.  Let's make this journey a powerful experience and the beginning of something amazing.  Deal?     

We made it through day one!  Go us!  I'm heading to the grocery store this morning to pick up some more staples.  I love to cook but yesterday was a very bland day for my meals.  I'm going to spend a good part of today planning and preparing my meals for this week.  One of my biggest problems is that I don't plan ahead and then I make an excuse to eat something unhealthy because "I forgot my lunch." Yeah, sure I did. ;)  So my goal today is to prepare lunches for this week.  How about you?  How's going?  

I know what you mean about planning ahead. I have to be very organized. I spent this morning figuring out how I can prep two meals at once to cut down on time. It is a pain to make each meal individually. I think I have a pretty good plan! So far a feel great! I am hoping I can keep on the straight and narrow. I think my biggest struggles will be 1. Keeping my veggies fresh, learning the balance of how many to buy and how frequently I need to pick up new veggies and 2. Meal prepping. So if you have any advice, tips or tricks please share!!

It seems odd because it is only day two, but I feel like my mood has drastically improved from where it has been over the last few weeks. Could just be a feeling of accomplishment from making good choices.

Hi ladies,

While my story doesn't exactly match yours, I have struggled to find that one thing I needed to make sense of my eating habits, my psychology and my responses. When I found Whole30, all that science-y stuff added to what I already knew and just made everything so clear.... So I started my first Whole30 a few weeks ago - so motivated and powered to go - but then had to go to visit some distant family for Thanksgiving and I just couldn't bring myself to tell them about my journey. I've arrived back home and am ready to go again... Just finishing day1 and was hoping that we may be able to support each other. I've struggled with weight for years, but more than that, the excuses for 'having' to eat sugar daily (celebration/sadness/loneliness/excitement/treat/reward) and I'm ready to change my relationship with food because I'm SICK and TIRED of being tied to food and sugar and excuses. So I'm looking for freedom.. My 12 days on the original Whole30 was fantastic, but I just know I need support and accountability...

I've prepped lunch for tomorrow and have dinner ready for tomorrow evening... but it's the night (and probably the boredom/exhaustion of the evening) that really gets me.. I think that's why I need to talk to someone and share my day, my journey, with them... Right now, i'm going through the 'that wasn't too bad' experience but also, having feelings like 'sure I could always just start tomorrow' temptations are sneaking in. Think I might just go to bed to escape it... 

With one day down, we're one step closer to day 30 :)

It’s Day 4 for me and I’m mourning the loss of cheese, ranch dressing and sweet tea.  Can we have a moment of silence for nachos?  I literally felt a sadness about it!  I’m also a little foggy and hungry.  But other than that, I’m doing well, staying strong!

I printed out a blank calendar and wrote in what to expect according the Whole30 time line.  Today was “Kill All the Things.”  I definitely felt that yesterday!  But today, I much less murdery.

Did you all sign up for the daily emails?  They have been great!  I love them!  

How about you guys?

I am alive! It is also my day 4, we are in this together. I feel your pain on missing cheese for sure (and nachos)! But my real craving today has been bread. The other thing that's hard for me is the alcohol. I LOVE to unwind from a particularly stressful work day with a glass of wine. I long for the wine.

This is going to be hard for me to admit, but I think I may have OVER planned for my first week on Whole30. I have discovered over the last four days of being on Whole30 that the best approach for me is to determine what my protein will be for each meal. It ends there. I cannot plan out which veggies and healthy fats I am going to eat at each meal, it puts me in too much of a box. I love to cook, the over planning just does not allow me the freedom I crave when it comes to cooking. A harsh reality for planners like me, but so very true.

How are other people feeling along their journey? I love to hear what others are experiencing.

The past two nights for me have been very busy so I've just grabbed something quick for dinner.  Last night was chicken sausage and spinach, tonight was an Applegate Farms hot dog (W30 approved) and carrots.  Not exactly the best choices for proteins but still on the program nonetheless.  There's definitely a lot more thinking that goes into W30 and I actually appreciate that instead of running on an unhealthy auto-pilot.

I like the idea of planning a protein and then going from there.  A girl has to be able to create!   :)

Oh!  I also made my own mayo tonight!  It's going to have to grow on me but I'm excited to create different variations of it with spices and such.  Tonight I made a ranch-type one and dipped my carrots in it.  Not too shabby.   ;)

~ Carla

• Moderators

This is going to be hard for me to admit, but I think I may have OVER planned for my first week on Whole30. I have discovered over the last four days of being on Whole30 that the best approach for me is to determine what my protein will be for each meal. It ends there. I cannot plan out which veggies and healthy fats I am going to eat at each meal, it puts me in too much of a box. I love to cook, the over planning just does not allow me the freedom I crave when it comes to cooking. A harsh reality for planners like me, but so very true.

If you haven't already, you should check out Melissa Joulwan's approach to a weekly cookup, outlined here or in her book Well Fed. (She also has a couple of weekly meal plans specifically for Whole30 on her blog too, like this one.) It's a way to have plenty of food on hand and ready to go, but not necessarily planned out down to details of which meat and veggies at which meals -- she calls it a "food and cooking plan.")  

Today is Day 4 for me and I'm certainly in the mourning phase.... I'm also in some kind of resentful mood where I'm just angry that there are so many sugary junk foods available. It's a good thing I'm away from my family at the moment, otherwise they may have to get the brunt of my frustration. I was always a big comfort/stress eater and when things got tough in work, or when I felt sorry for myself or even just when i was tired and needed some tlc, I went straight to the sugar/chocolate aisle in my closest store and stock up. It's hard to admit but I actually kind of miss those binges - it's awful to say but there was some kind of comfort in them. I know that's not what I'm suppose to say, or feel, when I'm going through this process.. And now that I am making more conscious decisions about what to put into my body, I'm feeling much more aware of the negative psychological role of food in my life until now. So when we are taking a minute to mourn nachos and cheese and alcohol and bread, can we spend some time mourn (and saying GOODBYE) to sugary binges?!?

SineadMon - I could have written your post!  I totally agree that I'm angry about missing out on my favorite food binges.  That's been a huge eye opener that this is truly an addiction for me.  And this is just he withdraw from it.  I just keep thinking I can't wait until I can have ____________ again!  I'm hoping those feelings will go away eventually since that isn't the point of this challenge.  Looking forward to day 16 when the Tiger's Blood feeling kicks in, lol!

I hear you both! I keep distinctively smelling all kinds of horrible for me foods randomly throughout the day. It is frustrating. But eventually we will no longer have these cravings and urges and life will be so healthy!! Some day!

Until that happens I must share how delicious my dinner was! Steak, sweet potato, broccoli and cashews. There was so much flavor. I am either becoming better at cooking (which I didn't really think I was a "bad" cook before) ORA my palate is changing? Is this a thing? Are foods becoming MORE tasty? Mind blown.

Also. I feel like my W30 symptoms are on like super fast track. I feel like the descriptions for what is common in week two is what I am going through in week one. Odd.

How was everyone else's day?

I hear you guys!!! In addition to dreaming about things, I am SEEING reminders of food everywhere... walking down the street and seeing someone with a coffee cup makes me what a hot chocolate, the ads on TV are painstaking at the moment and everywhere I turn I feel like I need to make a more conscious and committed decision to stick with this.

I think in addition to giving a moment of silence for the chocolate, nachos, cheese, wine etc we need to give a moment hurray for us!!! Despite the cravings and distant memories, we are fighting through. And yes Carla, I do think the "I can't wait until I have ....." feelings will go once the positive feelings kick in.

When I initially started the Whole30 back in mid November, I got to day 12 and I found that some of the timeline feelings were a bit jumbled up for me. But every evening, I would sit down with the timeline and put together my own combination of feelings and stages - it helped me map where I was and also helped me to see I wasn't too far from Tiger Blood stage... (Although I admit at times it feels like a lifetime away!)

Your dinner sounds amazing - I just had the most delicious (and compliant) omelette and it really put a smile on my face for the morning... we need to remember how delicious real food can be. And yes, I do think (but correct me if I'm wrong!) that when we start to get rid of sugar from our lives, real flavors kick back in :) :) 

I spoke too soon. I'm on day 6. Any other day 6ers out there? Nope they are all sleeping. Because that's what I should have done all day long. Wow I haven't been this tired in a very long time. I wish I had planned on my day 6&7 to be on the weekend. How are my other friends doing??

One thing I noticed today is that at my place of work there is candy and other forms of sugar EVERYWHERE! A candy bowl around one corner, a loaf of homemade blueberry bread around another, puppy chow down the hall. It's constant. And I know someone mentioned this earlier, but watching tv is painful. Every commercial is about food. Unhealthy food. The most unhealth food. Where are the commercials for fruits and veggies and great meat? Well it's 7pm. I think I'll go to bed. I hope I have more energy tomorrow.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Hi All

I had started on 28 Nov - but realised dinner on that evening had sugar in it (chorizo). 

So proper start date 29 Nov.

Finding it OK at breakfast - love eggs / parma ham / mushrooms / liver / leaves etc.

Finding it OK at lunch - salad and fish. 

Struggling with 3 meals and no snacks - I recently owned up to myself and my husband that I probably have an eating disorder (and an exercise disorder !!).

SO putting away the scales for 30 days has been an enormous relief.

Though I didn't realise this until I didn't have to weigh myself.

I am absolutely sure i have put on weight BUT will run the 30 days and see.

I have an under active pituitary gland so have to take Levothyroxine - I know this has lactose in it so really hoping it does not compromise the 30 days.

Back to the meals - I am so used to eating 2 meals a day with a handful of nuts that 3 meals seems excessive but hope to tackle that throughout the journey.

Haven't noticed anything significant so far re sleep or bloating or energy BUT I am feeling a little more at peace with myself.

Feeling strong at the moment but joined the forum in case there are a few dark days.

Wishing everyone well.

Hey all!  Day 7 for me.  WEEK ONE ALMOST DONE!  I feel such a sense of pride.  I woke up the today happy and proud of myself and thought "Hmm, this is different."  I realized that each morning pre W30 I woke up every day with regret and hating myself.  Every night I went to bed with hope thinking tomorrow will be better and then tomorrow came and I didn't change any of my habits, thus the regret and self-loathing.  While I have been angrily yelling at my co-workers that I want a damn cheeseburger, I wouldn't replace these feelings of pride for said cheeseburger.  

On a different note, I have an 8 year old son who loves grilled cheese sandwiches which I have to make for him, among other non W30 foods.  Commercials with unhealthy food are bad enough....actually having to prepare these foods for someone else, that's straight up torture!  :angry:

Wow Day 7! It does feel great CNordie! I am totally with you on the pride feeling (even though I woke up EXHAUSTED on day 6 & 7). I just feel good about the choices I am making. At first, I felt so weird telling my co-workers "I'm not eating sugar anymore (insert previously mentioned offers of baked goods and candy here). But, as I watch them constantly put sugar and terrible things into their body, I feel so good knowing the choices I am making are making me MORE healthy, not less. It's really satisfying. I've noticed I have a much more positive can-do attitude. Whereas, before I was more cynical (don't get me wrong, idiot co-workers are still idiots but their antics are now laughable).

As for the comment about 3 meals a day being a lot. Last week I would not have agreed with you. But as my first week on Whole30 has progressed, I'm starting to feel the same way. Tonight, I had a very difficult time eating meal 3 (I ate it because I was determined to go to bed early again - whoooo Day 7 exhaustion). I'm finally at the place where I can start making my meals smaller because they are SO filling. When I mentally compare it to what I used to eat (or what I see other people eating), I just think "I can't believe I used to eat that in one meal."

I'm so glad to have all of you to talk to on this journey! It really helps keep me focused. Thanks so much!

I am pretty used to refusing food at work - gluten / sugar / dairy - but totally get the making good choices and wondering how everyone else eats such rubbish. 

I had been ravenous for a couple of days but it seems to have eased off today.

I have 4 men in the house (1 x hubby + 3 x sons) so there are always temptations about but sundays are easy with "sunday roasts" - meat goes down well in our house !!

My tiredness only started yesterday - couldn't keep my eyes open last night.

All the best for the next couple of days. 

Ok, so I may be a little behind on this. But today, my Day 9, I am finally attempting to make my own bone broth. I am excited and nervous. We will see how it goes. I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot today so I could have easy lunches this week. How is everyone else doing? I am finally no longer exhausted. So I am pretty excited about that. I couldn't believe how tired I was.

I hope everyone is well!

Into day 10 and craving nuts big style !

Last week at the gym i was exhausted - hopefully tonight will be feeling more energetic.

Interested in your crockpot - have been considering getting one lately - do you find them useful ?

We are lucky if a whole chicken last 24 hours in our house !

I have yet to embark on bone broth - thought i might give it a go over the christmas holidays.

Speaking of Christmas - are we mad to do a whole 30 over christmas 

Christmas dinner should be fine - lots of meat and veg - but might miss a glass of fizz

Archived