100% cacao

mpr7876

• Moderators

Per the Can I Have list, it's okay:

Cacao (100%): Yes

Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. But per the rules of the program, it’s not okay to add cocoa to dates and other fruits to make chocolate-y confections. Read our Great Cocoa Debate for details.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.e8pTByDb.dpuf

You might also find this article on The Great Cocoa Debate interesting.

For future reference, almost any ingredient/food you can think of to ask about has probably been asked about before -- to find past discussions, google Whole30 and whatever you're looking for -- for instance, Whole30 cocoa.

• 1 month later...

What about mixing it with avocado?  I have been debating this for hours now. I would have to work it in as a non-dessert.  But the fats from avocado would make it a good filler.  I wouldn't say I'm a choco-addict, but I have had a wee hankering.  Not sure if it is just a Sugar Demon though.  But a hankering would make this SWYPO then.  Please give me your best opinion on the matter. Thank you!

What about mixing it with avocado?  I have been debating this for hours now. I would have to work it in as a non-dessert.  But the fats from avocado would make it a good filler.  I wouldn't say I'm a choco-addict, but I have had a wee hankering.  Not sure if it is just a Sugar Demon though.  But a hankering would make this SWYPO then.  Please give me your best opinion on the matter. Thank you!

If you're using the avocado as a delivery vehicle for the cacao, that wouldn't be in the spirit of a Whole30. If you use the cacao in a spice rub that you put on meat and then top that with avocado, that works. It's about context.

Archived