Sidelined from Crossfit....

runlolarunpunk

Looking to restart this soon. Worried I am not going to be able to do it as well as the first time I did the whole life challenge ...( since then I have had two failed attempts at whole30). This is most important now as my sciatica has become so bad at times I can't even walk, so no Crossfit for me for a long time, if ever again. Kinda went into a small depression bc of this - kinda lost my identity in a way.

Need to get back on track as weight loss will help with my issue and I can start feeling better and stop feeling bad for myself and over eating.

Anyone dealing with anything similar and can share your story with me?

I am right there with you. Being athletic has been a treasured part of my identity, and current injury issues have left me sidelined and a bit lost. I have been on a rollar coaster of restriction and glutony. Enough. I have decided to commit to a Nov 30 Whole30 start date. So, I begin tomorrow. I am rooting for us both! We deserve to nourish ourselves well.

Completely understand. I have always been fit but tore a disc 4 years ago. Since then have suffered intermittent bouts of acute back pain and sciatica which has interfered with my sport massively. I know how low it can make you. I started the whole 30 on 25 November and really hope it will help. So far I haven't found it hard- even eating out- the worst thing is not having tea ( I am British and can't drink it black!!). I wish you all the best luck. Don't focus on the exercise for now- although something gentle like Pilates is good for the soul as well as the body!

I can totally relate to your story. Four years ago I was in the best shape of my life. I was a runner and suddenly I could not even bend over. L5 was shot. It took me years to come to terms that my running was over. I can't even explain how much I loved to run. It was so much a part of me. It was my stress relief, my coping mechanism, my 45 minutes alone at the end of the day. I didn't want to be a walker and that was about my only option - except for swimming. I have gained about 30 pounds since I had to stop running. After years of struggle I am a GREAT walker. So many details will be spared to how I am here and love walking now. 

When I did my first Whole30 I felt like the odd man out. I felt like everyone did Cross Fit and I would fail unless I could suddenly lift weights and have this unreal strength training a few times a week. I consulted with my Dr. and was told no way (due to my disc). I even bought a kettle bell and after safe swinging I was still on the couch with my heating pad for two weeks.

What I've learned is that you do not have to be a cross fitter to be successful at the Whole30. Follow the meal template and rock it. It works no matter what. It's a great lifestyle. 

I can totally relate!  I was doing so well with Crossfit and loving it this summer and fall--then I injured my foot and my recovery time is LONG.  I can't put weight on my foot, so no Crossfit.  I had finally found something I loved to do and now I can't do anything--and possibly not go back to Crossfit.

I am starting the Whole 30 program tomorrow.  I need to get a handle on the weight (which will help my foot) and it should give me something positive to focus on.  I figure I can feel sorry for myself eating junk and sitting on the couch, or try and get myself better and increase the odds I can get back to a "normal" life as soon as possible.

Archived