Meal log W30

juno5483

Day 1 of whole 30.  I'm 6 weeks post-partum and also have a nearly 3 year old munchkin as well.  I have been waiting to get back to my normal activity level due to a c-section and that combined with the recent holidays has left me in need of a major reset.

Meals:

1-Steak, kale, avocado, coffee

2-Smoked turkey breast, roasted winter squash, broccoli

3-Apple, macadamia nuts

4-Buffalo burger, brussels sprouts, avocado and salad

5-Pecans, apple

Exercise:

30 minute lift

30 minute run/walk

Day 2:  Feeling good overall, mild headache this afternoon but otherwise no major issues :)

Meal 1:  2 eggs, greens and mushroom friend in ghee, 1/2 avocado, coffee

Meal 2: Salad with lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, beet, buffalo burger and pistacho oil

Meal 3: Apple, Macadamia nuts

Meal 4: Roast turkey, broccoli, small portion of potato

Exercise:

30 minutes cycling

25 minutes aerobics/resistance

Day 3: Woke up at 3AM for nursing my little man and felt awful, light headed, really hungry...even though I feel like I'm eating a large volume of food, my dinner was probably too small.  I ended up eating an apple whih helped a bit.  Today I focused on eating more and I took a break from exercise because I was pretty sore.

Meal 1:  2 eggs, greens and mushroom friend in ghee, chicken sausage, coffee

Meal 2: Salmon, broccoli, avocado/tomato salad

Meal 3: Berries, Macadamia nuts, Turkey breast and spoonful guacamole

Meal 4: Spaghetti squash, marinara and italian sausage

I'm focusing on drinking tons of water.  Also, my milk supply seems good thus far which is great as the little guy loves to eat!

felt awful, light headed, really hungry...even though I feel like I'm eating a large volume of food,

I'm sorry you felt so bad! Looking at your food log, you are definitely not eating enough food. Lots of people eat too little when they start the whole30 because they take out grains and dairy but keep the vegetable and protein portions the same. Don't do that! Add more veggies and more fat and more protein to make up for the volume of grains and dairy you used to eat--that means 3-4 eggs at breakfast, a full palm size (or two!) of protein, etc. Many nursing mothers add a 4th meal. Go ahead and have a real template meal instead of snacking on fruit or nuts (the turkey and guac you added day 3 was a great improvement!).

Here is the meal planning template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Thanks so much for the feedback, I actually had the same early morning episode on day 4 and then I read your reply was like, yup that is what I need to do.  I increased my overall food intake yesterday and I was a bit heavy on the fruit because we went to a Christmas party but I managed to stay on track so I'm super thrilled...that kind of food environment can be my achilles heel and I have a sweet tooth.  But that being said I woke up this morning for nursing sessions and felt normal and was hungry for breakfast but not feeling ill.  I am going to go back through my copy of ISWF as well to refresh myself.  Food log to be posted tonight!

Day 5:

M1: 3 eggs, greens and mushroom fried in ghee, chicken sausage, winter squash, coffee

M2: Roasted cauliflower, broccoli soup, turkey & salami, tahini, banana and almond butter

M3: Spaghetti squash with marinara and some suasage, olives

M4: 2 chicken thighs, potato, brussels sprouts

Exercise: 25 minutes conditioning

Day 6:  Feeling good, hypoglycemia is better but can definitely feel some sugar cravings coming on. 

M1: 3 eggs, greens and cauliflower fried in ghee, chicken sausage, coffee, banana

M2: Salad with chicken thigh, pear, 1/2 avocado, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, pecans

M3: Broccoli soup with flank steak (fat from the coconut oil used to make the soup)

M4: Shredded beef, <1/2 avocado, olives, potato, brussels sprouts

Exercise:

30 minutes cycling

30 minutes lifting

Day 7:

M1: 3 eggs, shredded beef, sweet potato, mixed vegetables, gaucamole

M2: Egg bake with sausage and peppers and coffee

M3: Shredded beef with avocado, portabello, sweet potato, broccoli, ghee, apple

M4: Berries and macadamia nuts, 1/2 chicken thigh

Exercise: Cycling 40 minutes

Day 8:  1st week down!  Actually still feeling quite good from the perspective of energy levels, I'm tired but not any worse than expected with fragmented sleep and chasing a toddler + baby around.  I was able to cath a nap today which def helps.  My meals have been really satisfying and I'm not getting hungry too soon.  I am def a boredom snacker so curbing that has been a goal of the experience and so far has been fairly successful but will continue to pursue this.

Meals:

M1: 2 chicken sausages, stir fried veggies with ghee, 1/2 avocado, banana, coffee

M2: Italian sausage (1), broccoli soup, salad with raspberries and olive, balsamic vinaigrette

M3: Steak, butternut squash, brussels sprouts and portabella

mini-meal: 12 chicken sausage, macadamia nuts, apple slices

Exercise:

5k jog (11:30 min/mile)

Archived