Kevin M.

I have the same feelings about monosodium glutamate as some of us feel about coffee.  At least W30 takes a stand on that neurotoxin and all its forms while several paleo blogs endorse protein isolates.  The hypothalamus is the adrenal CEO and by exciting its cells to death, you affect its ability to read signals and control the pituitary and thyroid.  Yet you'll see the most glycogenic among us shoveling factory dust out of Bisphenol A megatubs and cooking that little cashew in their brain.

Thanks for that.   :D  :lol: 

Cool, exactly what i was saying kirkor, you got it, one difference in viewpoint and that's it, you think I shouldn't ask questions or participate.  The real answer I'm getting is because people are unwilling to give up caffeine because they can't function without it, using it like a crutch to get energy instead of using sugar.

If you don't think I make any sense thats cool too.

The point is more that a judgement call has to be made somewhere. You can choose to make a different judgement call than the founders of Whole30 for your specific dietary choices.  There are potential health benefits to drinking coffee, and potential negative effects, as other posters have pointed out.  The founders made the judgement call to include coffee but not include other items, like lentils, that have potential health benefits & potential negative effects.  A line has to be drawn somewhere.  I'm sure you can find a more restrictive diet on the internet where coffee is forbidden because it's not considered healthy enough to meet the guidelines. 

I think it's a good idea to avoid coffee during a Whole30, but in no way do I think they need to revise the whole program to forbid its consumption. Some things can be left to a personal judgement call.

Peanuts are a known gus disruptor, not just because they are legumes, but also for things like mytotoxins. Peanut processing is a little different as it's a "ground nut". Many countries have peanuts as a staple, so going without them is an unusual thing (much like grains and dairy), but for some this is critical to healing their gut. The point of Whole30 is to give you a fresh baseline, see how you feel when you reintroduce things.

If your baseline is compromised, you may not notice things when they are reintroduced.

Everyone is different. Some people are very sensitive not only to coffee, but to caffiene itself. There are a number of studies on this, if you're interested in some very geeky reading. Some people can't have cocoa either, or tea, but the effects are usually not on the gut.

There are very good reasons for the rules in Whole30. They may seem crazy at times, but it's all about the gut and being able to identify health obstacles during reintroduction.

If you can give coffee up for 30 days, good for you :) You'll be able to do a reintroduction it if you want.

I am only half way thru the book....and partly thru this site. Have not found the reasons for "no peanuts".  One can have almonds and other nuts but "no peanuts".  Can someone who knows point me to where this is stated and or tell me why? Thanks! 

This is answered in plenty of places...peanuts are not nuts they are legumes and all legumes are out.

• Moderators

I am only half way thru the book....and partly thru this site. Have not found the reasons for "no peanuts".  One can have almonds and other nuts but "no peanuts".  Can someone who knows point me to where this is stated and or tell me why? Thanks! 

Peanuts are not actually nuts, they're legumes, and no legumes are allowed on the program.

You can read more about why legumes aren't allowed, and a little about peanuts in particular, in the Legume Manifesto.

The reason legumes are excluded is because they contain compounds that can mess with your gut by blocking nutrient absorption, and possibly contributing to leaky gut syndrome. Legumes are also one of the most highly allergenic foods in the world (remember, peanuts are actually a legume, and almost everyone knows someone deathly allergic to peanuts). It's also possible to be allergic/sensitive to a food (IgG or IgA allergic, not IgE - IgE Allergies are those instantaneous reactions that can lead to anaphylaxis and death, while IgA and IgG are delayed reactions that are usually milder, less obviously attributable to the food, and can happen days after consuming an offending food) and not even realize it. I, for example, found out I am sensitive to almonds. I've eaten almonds my whole life with no apparent issues. Until I went AIP and eliminated them for several months (along with all other nuts and seeds) and then ate a handful of raw almonds and about 36 hours later my psoriasis flaired and I had really bad joint pain in my knees that lasted 3 days. I'm fine with pecans and hazelnuts though.

On the other hand, I reintroduced coffee and so long as it is organic, I have no reaction to it. I tend to stick to swiss water process chemical free decaff coffee due to adrenal fatigue concerns, and I don't drink it every day, but I do enjoy the flavor of coffee from time to time. 

Thanks....I actually found an answer right after I posted this. Never knew peanuts were considered legumes. Interesting. So I guess that means Almonds are not legumes. 

Correct, almonds are nuts. You will also see in your reading however that we recommend limiting nut consumption because they also have anti-nutrients that can make them hard on the digestive system for many. Notice that a peanut more resembles a pea (bean in a pod) then it resembles an almond which just has a skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin M, I'm so glad you had the guts to ask this question. I had the exact same question myself. I understand that some of the recommendations are arbitrary, and don't fit everyone's dietary needs. I know that coffee is not a great ingredient in my diet, and first time I omitted coffee because I don't like it black. I dropped off the program in 18 days. This time I've been having coffee with milk, but maintaining the other aspects of the program and been much more successful. So....on the one hand I'm not following the program as prescribed, but it's a move towards health with vegetable rich foods, and omitting added sugar. I suppose my main point, is that it's often easiest to follow a program to the letter, because there is no negotiation with oneself, but for me, I'm able to set my own rules and have an overall better result.

This time I've been having coffee with milk, but maintaining the other aspects of the program and been much more successful. 

You know this (right GinS?) but it has to be said: the whole30 + coffee with milk is not the whole30. It just isn't. I'm glad you found a plan that works for you, but I also someday hope you try the whole30. It's pretty great, and worth getting used to drinking coffee black (or with coconut milk). I know it doesn't seem like that amount of milk could possibly make a difference, but it does.

Archived