Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Hello Whole30 Adventurers!

If you are beginning your program on January 1st, please join me here to support each other as we prepare for the food journey of a lifetime!

What are you doing to prepare? What questions, concerns, or anxieties do you have? What are you looking forward to? What are you apprehensive about? Have you done a Whole30 in the past? What was it like? Are you a newbie, like me?

I look forward to meeting you, and being part of a group that will be encouraging and honest as we make this transition together!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I'm planning on doing a Whole 30 in January and I'd love to be part of a group to support and encourage! 

I did my first Whole 30 in September. I wasn't that prepared, I kind of ate the same thing over and over again and was really bored by the end of it. The first week was hard for me, I think everything that went wrong or every time I felt bad I just blamed it on food, like a crutch! But after that I felt better, and it became easy to stick with. My food boredom didn't make me want to cheat or stop the Whole 30...it just made me not want to eat. 

So this time I want to be more prepared! I'm gathering recipes that I can make on weekends so I can bring them to work. I decided on New Years day I will take time to make things that will make preparing quick meals a lot easier - like ghee, mayo, bone broth, etc. I'm actually really excited about all the foods I will eat! My biggest anxiety is social situations. In my profession almost every after work or networking event is alcohol-centered! I decided that I probably will withdraw myself from being really social the month of January - which is okay, since it will be cold out anyway!

What are you excited about, an anxious about, as a newbie? 

Hello! I am planning a January 1st whole30! I have previously attempted and failed 2 whole30's in the past, so this is going to be my first successful one! My previous attempts were just at terrible times, I should have planned better. This one I am hardcore planning for!!! Failure is not an option!

I am most nervous about my sister's wedding weekend. She is getting married January 10, and I am the maid of honor. Luckily the reception is really low-key with no dinner, so I don't have to worry about that. I'm planning on packing tons of food to take with me for the weekend. And I'm staying at my parents house, which is super helpful. 

I am SO excited to start!!! 

I am planning on starting my 3rd Whole 30 on Jan 1.  I've lost 30 lbs since my first run at it in August.  With my 3rd round I am gong to start exercising (training for a 5K) so I hope to have good results again.  I found running a few years ago and just love it but have found it more difficult to enjoy when I have gained weight.  Since it's my third time I know the program pretty well and know I can do it but worry about slacking off on certain things that are banned.  I'm hoping to get a few friends or family members to start up with me on Jan 1.  I have at least one and she will be on her 2nd W30.

I hope everyone has great success.  I can't wait to hear all the victories on Jan 31.

I am! Once I get though finals next week I'll be in hardcore planning mode. Definitely excited about eating better food and hopefully changing the way I feel. Kind of nervous about compliance, especially at work. Twelve hour shifts plus a downstairs cafeteria turn me into a sugar fiend.   

Me! Me!

I have done two Whole30's in the past, and felt amazing both times. However, lately I feel like life has gotten the best of me and being busy has been an excuse for not eating well or working out. I am going to do my best to get back on track and do pretty strict Paleo for the next few weeks (most likely with the exception of Christmas day) and then go full-on Whole30 on January 1st!

Actually, I am hoping to do a Whole45, which will take me right up to Valentine's Day. Even longer, if I still feel good and want to continue it. I am getting married in March, work full-time, am in grad school - I noticed a big difference with managing stress while I was Whole30ing before, and want to be proactive about the craziness that is about to become my life this spring!

I'm nervous this time around because, since my last Whole30, I have started Crossfitting and have been relying on protein powders for post-WOD refuel. It's easy and convenient, but obviously out for Whole30. Any suggestions about an alternative?

My first Whole30 would have been a disaster without a group of ladies I met on this board - we formed a Facebook group and held each other accountable, checked in daily, shared recipes, etc. It was a LIFESAVER since I didn't have a real-life buddy to do it with. Anyone interested?

-Kim

I'm nervous this time around because, since my last Whole30, I have started Crossfitting and have been relying on protein powders for post-WOD refuel. It's easy and convenient, but obviously out for Whole30. Any suggestions about an alternative?

The Whole30 recommended post WO fuel is protein and carb.  A popular choice is chicken and sweet potato: browse the Whole30 for athletes forum for other ideas

I would like to join the January Whole 30....I just signed for a 10 day detox....and it is just a hard time of year to committ to this.  I will however get myself prepared for the January W30 and join the rest of you.  I would like to ask Hbombdiggity71 how much weight you have to lose....30 lbs is a huge weight loss in this amount of time.  I want to lose 30 also..but want to gain my energy back and lose the headaches I get every week.

I am starting on Jan. 1 also. I am going to use December to plan. This will be my 1st time doing W30 and I plan to follow the FODMAP version. I really want to turn this into a new whole life lifestyle for me. I want it to be a life long change in my eating habits.

I already know how much going off of gluten can change ones life, it has helped me with night sweats, hot flashes, joint/muscle/bone pains, minimized my rosecea and helped me wake up with much less congestion. Once off gluten I was able to notice dairy also contributed to my congestion and brought about some of my migraines. I haven't managed to stay off gluten for more than a few weeks and dairy a week, but I have to keep those foods out of my life. Gluten free is much easier than dairy free for me. I love cheese and milk. I just need to plan better until it becomes second nature.

I also have IBS-D, which doesn't seem to be from the gluten or dairy from what I can tell. From past experimentation my main concern is not enough starch in my diet. I have found gluten free breads, crackers and white rice help to keep my IBS in control. I think being more strict with my FODMAPs will help minimize the starch needed or at least I hope so. My only other main concern is fat content as too much fat flares it up as well. Plus I have no gallbladder.

I have dieted in the past eating more healthy foods and I prefer it but it has always made my IBS worse, but I wasn't watching FODMAPs then so hopefully that will make the difference. I do know that going low FODMAP with starches works for me but not sure about without the starches.

Of course I also need to lose some weight and that is another reason I want to do this but it's more for my health. My mind set is going to be to focus on what I can have and not what I can't and I don't want to try and replace all the junk I remove but I just want to eat clean.

I'm looking forward to this and think it can become just what I need.

Rhonda

I'm planning on starting January as well! I'd love to join in! This will be my second time doing Whole 30. I loved loved loved the first time! I did it in June. I've been doing paleo since then. But this December, with finals and the holidays, I've totally gotten off track. I need to do a cleanse and revamp. 

I'm planning on starting on the first as well. I've never done this (or anything similar) before so I'm pretty nervous. I've found lots of resources, but I have a serious sugar addiction and most of the people I know who know about that don't think I'll make it more than a couple of days. Hopefully I'll find more support here. I'm using December as a trial and error time so that I can learn how to cook some of these new recipes efficiently and learn to plan ahead.

Hello all,

I just completed my first successful whole30 and have gained a lot of insight into my relationship with food. What has helped me most has been to realize I am an addict, and sugar is my drug. When I am tempted, I often think about people who are fighting drug or alcohol addiction, and how they can find the will to stay sober. I am joining the January group because I want to continue to feel great (physically and mentally) and lose weight. We had a great support group in November and I am looking forward to seeing some if those ladies on here again in January.

I am a SAHM to 4 kids, ages 6 and under. My challenges are finding time to make enough food (also having to make different meals), sourcing good food (very far from any grocery store), and just dealing with life's frustrations without relying on sugar. I am always on the hunt for recipes that a picky hubby and kids will eat. We already eat at home for 99% of our meals, so that's not an issue.

I will be staying compliant throughout December, although I will not be totally compliant for the last week of December.

Hello all!! I've just created an account today, but I've contemplated Whole30 for a couple months now.

Friday, in my Crossfit class, our Coach told us we would be starting a nutrition challenge on Jan 1 - the Whole30.  I was actually kind of excited!!

My brieft history - I'm 44, mother of a college son and a high school Jr son.  Married 24 years.  I had gastric bypass in 2001.  Went from 275 to 140.  Held there for about 4 years, then slowly started regaining. I never exercised or ate healthy.

I started Crossfit a year ago, after gaining back up to 243.  I am so disgusted with myself, that I've let myself get back to this state.  Now, I love working out, and I've run a 5k every month - I will run my 13th in 13 months this Saturday. 

Yet, I'm only down 20 pounds - I'm at 223.  WTH??  And my jeans have gone to almost needing a 20, to almost able to squeeze into a 16.  So, yeah, not a lot of progress.  I am stronger though, I can say that! ;)

I have spent this past year, coming to understand I have a horribly unhealthy relationship with food.  I am a stress eater.  I am emotional eater.  I use food as my comfort, and wine gets thrown in there too!

I literally eat out every meal, every day.  :(  I am addicted to sweet tea.

I want to succeed at this so badly. I need my relationship with food to CHANGE. I need to break the addictions, and get some energy back!  At this point, I am looking to improve my mood and energy levels, more than lose the weight!

So, I will be here daily, and I warn you, I am a whiner!  I will cuss and cry those first 10 days or so!!  LOL  But I can do this!

Bev :)

Ah! There is so many of us! How exciting! 

Little bit about me, I suffer from a million things but the biggest issue has been psoriasis and tummy problems almost every time I eat. I have lead a healthy lifestyle (or so I though until I read the book and realized I was the bad example) but I also lead a busy and fast paced life so eat has always been a challenge. I am soo excited to start the Whole 30. The possibility to take control of my health is sooo energizing and beautiful!  

My long time partner is also going to be doing the Whole 30 to support me. He hasn't read the book which makes me a little nervous as I felt the science really helped me understand why I needed to stop putting certain things in but he says he understand the rules so together, we think we can do 30 days. 

As mentioned in the book alcohol allows for bad decision making so for those of you starting on the 1st, lets all make sure we don't drink too much the night before and regret starting this on the wrong foot.

Wishing everyone all the best and super excited to get started and to get to know you through the forums. 

P.S. If anyone is interested in starting the facebook group idea, I am in! You can find me as Maggie Morgue! 

I hadn't thought of that! But you are exactly right, kirkor, I need to start practicing now.  I am not a sweet potato fan, so maybe I can play around with those, to start liking them more. And coconut milk, is so foreign to me....a lot of things on the approved list are!  So yeah, I'll start experimenting now!  Thanks for the tip!

Archived