Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All!

I will also be starting up a Whole30 on January 1st, and I'm looking forward to going through it with community this time around :) I completed my first Whole30 in June and felt wonderful, and though I managed to stick to mostly Paleo eating for a few months, my affinity for fall beer and treats kickstarted my campaign of eating poorly and not exercising (Crossfit) as much as I had been. I'm in need of a good cleanse and I look forward to refocusing my energy on my health.

My main anxiety is an upcoming business trip in the next week. Aside from regularly going out with members of the team, there is an evening holiday dinner party that I'll be participating in which I'm hoping I have the discipline to get through unscathed. Any tips, tricks, or reality checks are welcomed.

Brand New Girl here! I've heard of this and have begun reading "It Starts with Food" and ready to rock this thang! I just turned 40 (yay!) and am 2 years smoke free now :) double yay! I have 3 teens and a great hubs who will be joining the workout process but not sure on the whole 30 just yet. I'm excited and ready! Purging the kitchen today and already gave warning to all in the house to  just watch out! I plan to start with yoga and piyo as well cuz this ol gal is hurting outta shape and has an added 50lbs since my last cig. triple yay! Let's do this! 

Praxisproject and Whole Food Aussie Thank you for feedback. I'm signing up for dailies as I will need all the help I can get. 

LaShawnda - you can use stevia in place of splenda - it's ok on whole 30 in small amounts and is more natural/better for you. :)

I wonder if it would help to start a googlegroup of all people listed in this topic? 

LaShawnda - you can use stevia in place of splenda - it's ok on whole 30 in small amounts and is more natural/better for you. :)

Actually, stevia is not allowed on the Whole30. No sugar or sweetener is compliant in any amounts - sorry.

Here is a link to the full program rules, for your reference.

Day 0 Meal:

I am so excited and nervous at the same time.   :D   My day 0 meal today, I made scrambled eggs and sauteed mushrooms on the side... I've attached a photo below, I hope this is a good start.

I sauteed garlic in olive oil added a dash of salt, pepper and then three whole eggs, amount of eggs I can hold with my little hands.  I sauteed mushrooms with Italian Seasonings and balsamic vinegar and that's it.

If there's something you see that I shouldn't add, I am open to receive suggestions!  

May you all have a happy and wonderful new year and look forward to reaching our Whole30 goals!

Blessings...

Sheila

post-58733-0-20970900-1420060979_thumb.j

I sauteed garlic in olive oil added a dash of salt, pepper and then three whole eggs, amount of eggs I can hold with my little hands.  I sauteed mushrooms with Italian Seasonings and balsamic vinegar and that's it.

If there's something you see that I shouldn't add, I am open to receive suggestions!  

Hi Sheila.  Your meal looks great.  Just confirm that the Italian Seasonings is compliant (sometimes spice mixes have off-plan ingredients), and that your balsamic vinegar is compliant (no sulfites in the ingredients list).

Ann, I travelled on my last whole45. Basically, pack all the food you will need, or as close as possible. As for the business dinner, eat beforehand.

This whole30 I am focussing on three meals, no snacks, and getting pre and post workout nutrition right.

hi….Ashton or Kim C.

I clicked on the above link and just requested to join your FB page; my name is Erin Saucedo. I am planning on my first Whole30 beginning tomorrow!! I have read the book, done plenty of planning and research, got rid of ALL forbidden food items and am motivated!!! I even found coffee that I can actually drink black. Whoot Whoot!!!

This will be my second Whole30. I successfully completed one in October, and started to feel AMAZING. I stopped relying on anti-inflammatories to manage bursitis in my hip, and started sleeping like a CHAMP for the first time in my entire life. I lost weight and overall had a much more positive outlook on life, found that I had a nearly endless wealth of good will and energy to offer friends, co-workers and clients. Then a trip to New Orleans and the Holidays threw me into an alcohol, refined carb and dairy spiral. January First (tomorrow) can't come soon enough. I have already weaned myself off of alcohol, dairy, and legumes (not a real issue for me as I don't enjoy them), tomorrow I nix sugar and grain from that list. Excited this time, as I know a little bit more what to expect, and what I expect is to start feeling really good again. My hope on this round is to make it to a Whole90, as for me at least, judging from how far off road I have been since completing a whole30 in October, I believe its going to take a longer amount of time/discipline to establish new habits. To those who are just about to begin: congratulations. The thing that kept me from falling off the wagon on my first Whole30 was the thought that if I slipped up, I would have to start over at day 1. Keep this in mind going forward... there will come a halfway point where it's just smooth sailing. Good luck everyone! This is one of the best possible life changes you can make for yourself. Also: I cannot recommend this blog post enough, it's the Whole30 Roundup by Nom Nom Paleo... four words for you: Leon's Miracle Caper Sauce.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

HI, I'm a first timer with whole 30 starting Jan. 1st. Just finishing the 'It begins with food' book and am very excited to begin . I've been loosely following their recommendations as I read over the past few days (when I had time) and already notice how quickly I feel full and sometimes too full after a few minutes lol. Definately need to tune into body ques.

Tomorrow being the 1st I plan on shopping for a few items that are missing from my pantry and making the mayo, ketchup, bone broth etc.

For breakfast tomorrow I'm going with whats in the frig.; free range eggs, asparagus roasted with a little bacon, an apple if I feel like it and some herb tea. Lunch will be canned salmon in a big salad with olives and whatever I can find in the veggie drawer then it's off to the market for "the missing items". Dinner will be sirloin roast (which is on sale) with roasted veggies probably brussel sprouts.

My big challenge is my family (you probably understand what I mean, are you shaking your head). I have a large family, there is 9 of us all toll and not everyone is concerned about what they eat. So I will try to cook to please  MOST of my picky eaters the rest will have to adjust.

One of my fav. paleo people and motivator is Michelle Tam (NomNompaleo). I love her quirky style and fun approach to cooking paleo for her family.

Looking forward to gleaning all the help I can get from this forum (and the wonderful people therein) and finding the best way to cook and eat for my own health and my family at least with their meals at home.

Cheers!

Hi peeps - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Just woke up on a beautiful Sydney morning and indulged in my first habit of a white coffee. This time, no milk & xylitol (sugar). Instead I made a nice cup from our Nespresso machine and added coconut cream - fabulous alternative to the regular, and one I won't be able to live without during this journey!

I plan to drink lot's of water today and am glad I didn't completely over induldge last night or this post would be so much harder this morning - LOL!

Like Smstevens70 I have a husband and 2 teenage boys + I work full time. I am feeling quite 'unhealthy' because I spend very little time on myself.

Can't wait to see my life turn around - here's to Day 1

I just now decided to do another W30 and figured I'd better get started right away before I get distracted by another slice of bread! I did my first one about 18 months ago and felt fantastic. I went on vacation soon after that and have been on and off again since. I am due to have knee replacement surgery in Feb and I really really need to drop some weight both before the surgery and after so this new knee lasts. At the present time I am about 100# over weight.

It was going to try to do this on my own but I know from experience how helpful it is to be a part of a community of folks working together. I am preparing with prayer/meditation and meal planning. I am a little concerned that I cannot exercise much at all this time around because of that cranky knee.

Hi. This is my first time doing Whole30!  Officially starting tomorrow.  I've cleaned my pantry and fridge of tempting foods and have searched the internet for recipes to try.  My biggest obstacles are going to be finding snacks and not drinking alcohol. Eek.  I'm looking forward to the giving and getting advice, tips and support from those out there.

Happy New Year!

Snacks and alcohol - yep, my challenges also!

Snacks should be OK, there's heaps of Whole30 recipes around and preparation is key but you can't go past fruit & nuts. I'm planning on making a rocket & pinenut pesto today (subsituting parmesan with nutritional yeast) and dipping vegie sticks!

I'm planning to start tomorrow (Jan 1!) as well! I've done paleo for a couple months in the past, but have, unfortunately, slid back into the land of too many carbs. In moderation, some carbs are fine for my body, but more often than not I end up over-eating, feeling sluggish and getting reflux. I've got a week off, so I realized it's the perfect time for cooking and freezing lots of lunches, trying new recipes and stocking the pantry.

So the thing I'm most worried about?? Booze! Since I love cooking, that part is a bit easier. However, missing out or being weird at happy hours, girls night outs and parties is a lot tougher.

That said, I've done it before when I did a candida diet and just occasional breaks from sugar. Here are my tips, both to remind myself and in case this is helpful for anyone else:

-club soda with lime, it looks like a cocktail so ppl don't ask and it drinks like a cocktail

-virgin mojito (-sugar), so basically muddled mint and lime with soda

-cucumber water, just sliced cucumbers in a pitcher of water is delicious, you can do it at home, or order in a bar; also try with citrus, herbs or fruit, sliced apples with a stick of cinnamon is awesome!

-really good tea, this is the time to go to the fancy tea shop, it's a great way to kick the glass of wine after work and replace dessert with something calming

Good luck everyone!!!

<3

Archived