Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks kirkor. Can you tell me how to reply to someone's post (it's like you took a screen shot of my comment you were addressing). Sorry, I'm new at forums..sighhhhhh!

You click the Quote option at the bottom right of the post.  You can quote the entire post or edit the Quote to reply to only the part that's relevant to your comment.

When you Quote, the member you're quoting gets a notification.  This is a good habit to use, especially in a lengthy thread like this one ... otherwise people need to comb through multiple posts in the thread to see if someone responded to them.

Hi, I began my Whole30 yesterday, January 1st! This is my first time and I am so excited to begin the year with a focus on me and my health. I am 50, a wife and mom of 2 really cool kids, a Design Associate for Room and Board, a health and wellness coach, the Wellness Liaison at work for my team of 30, a scuba-diver, singer, sister, daughter, lover of sweets (recovering!), animal-lover and eternal optimist! The first day was easy for me because I eat mostly Paleo anyway. I am not as well prepared food-wise as I thought I was, had to mix pumpkin, spices and a couple eggs that I fried up in coconut oil for breakfast, which seems kind of like Paleofying, hope it isn't. I topped the cooked mixture with some frozen blueberries, warmed. I made a big batch of sweet potato salmon cakes yesterday, so that is lunch, with some yummy Brussels sprouts.

Can't wait to get to 30, knowing I committed to it, and did it!!

I started yesterday and this is my first Whole 30! I went gluten-free almost two years ago and paleo last summer ... and had a ton of accidental slip ups with both. I'm glad I didn't start cold turkey with Whole 30 because I never used to pay very close attention to what was what in my foods. I remember being "gluten-free" for two months and then realizing, "Dangit! Barley has gluten in it!"

When I went paleo I got the Paleo.IO app after a few slip ups (oops on the black eyed peas and regular sausage). The Paleo.IO app has been fantastic! It really helped me slow down and take a look at everything I was putting in my cart at the grocery store instead of guessing (and guessing wrong).

I'm going to be the crazy lady who says sugar is no problem for me. People rarely believe me (especially here in the south), but I prefer unsweet tea and would take potato chips over dessert any day. I'm looking forward to a month of no white potatoes whatsoever since they such a huge trigger for me.

Thanks for the link and adding me to the Facebook group! This is my first Whole30 and I'm really starting to see the "Whole30 community" that kept being referenced throughout the introductory materials. I just moved to a new town and work from home so I have been missing that sense of community. It's really nice to see how everyone supports each other and I hope to contribute to someone else's (or many someone elses'!) journey and provide that support as well.

To introduce myself...

I'm 22 and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and IBS since I was 12 (just realized a decade - sheesh). I have gone through a bunch of medications (steroids, 6mp, mesalamine, VSL #3DS, anti-spasmodics, etc). I have found varying degrees of limited or temporary success on each of those. I started following a FODMAP diet per my physician about a year ago but it was tough because it was the week before Thanksgiving and then through the holidays. I have done OK with it because I paleo-fied everything (sigh). I felt significantly better but couldn't stay on track for any extended (>a few weeks) period of time because of the cravings and trying to eat out with my significant other. Enter W30 about 6 months ago. 

I have been thinking about W30 since the summer and now that the holidays have passed, I am excited to start my first one. For above reasons I decided to do the FODMAP version of W30. Like a lot of people on this thread, my first day was yesterday. So far so good!

While on the W30 and throughout the year, I am also beginning to train for the 2016 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend (starting small with the Princess 5K and Enchanted 10K and then work up to the Half Marathon and Glass Slipper Challenge maybe the following year). I have an obsession with all things Disney so I figured what a better motivator  :)

Thanks everyone and it's so nice to meet you all! If you are interested in "buddying up" in a more individual way in addition to this larger community :), feel free to message me. 

Hello!  I started January 1 after dabbling a bit in December and completely falling off the wagon over Christmas.  Yesterday was a great day and today has started well too.  I find that I must be prepared or it becomes disheartening. 

Yesterday marked 10 days into W30!  I decided to start a little early (Dec. 23) because I really had a quiet holiday planned, and I figured, whatever parties I had, I had to make myself do it.  I had a super busy early half of December, party-wise, and I felt really awful on Dec. 22nd.  Couldn't sleep, couldn't breathe, and I had to resort to acid blockers....ugh, hate taking those, as I know how bad they are.  

I kept telling myself I'd start on Jan. 2, but I honestly didn't have any plans for NYE, and I was able to get through Xmas by being picky about what went on my plate.

Funny thing is, my friends moved their annual NYE party to this Saturday (tomorrow), due to people being out of town, etc., so I've already decided that I'm (obviously) not drinking, and I will choose very carefully what to eat.

On Xmas eve, there was a table full of sweet treats that people made.  Since I started on 12/23, I couldn't have them.....sigh.  They asked if I wanted to take some home, and I thought.....um, yeah I do!  I thought I'd bring a bunch home to eat on Day 31.  Seriously.....I figured I could have a massive pig-out on frozen month-old desserts.  At the end of the night, I did take home some of the food....turkey, chopped veggies......but I left the desserts.  Now, I'm so glad I left them, because I can eat those suckers frozen solid, and they'd be here tempting me.

I started yesterday, I knew Jan 1 would be hard, not for any huge reason, but for the smaller ones, the whole day I thought I would just start tomorrow as I thought I would slip somehow, but I got through it unscathed.  DH is not doing it with me and he started the day asking me to make waffles.  Lucky we don't have a waffle iron at the moment. 

so pleased to be on day 2 and feeling more 'together'.  Its easy to slip on day 1 I think, you are not half way through needing to start again, its just a one day delay, but!.. no need for that.  I got this. 

I'm off to a good start.  Yesterday meals were  

breakfast: fried roasted sweet potato in olive oil, two fried eggs  ( I did accidently lick the tiniest bit of molasses off of my finger.. argh)

Lunch:  huge salad with tuna( in olive oil)  and homemade mayo, with basalmic Vinegar and olive oil

Dinner:  collards cooked in homemade chicken broth, roasted sweet potato with cooked ground turkey with dallop of homemade mayo

Today meals are:  breakfast :  fried roasted sweet potato in olive oil with 3 fried eggs

Lunch : repeat of yesterday's lunch ( I did bring an apple with almond butter if I find that I need a little more food

Dinner:  roasted potato,  roasted chicken, brocolli

I'm kinda a creature of habit.  I don't mind eating a lot of the same things over and over again. Tho,  I will start looking for some different recipies to change things up a little. 

I'm already noticing some things that happened last whole30.  Peeing a lot!!  (is that ketosis?)  getting a twinge of a headache.  I didn't eat too much sugar and junk before starting the this go around.  Hopefully the detox will be short and sweet.

Kristina

Anyone else having trouble posting photos in this thread?  I keep getting a message that says I can't use this type of file in this community (my photo is a JPG).

I was going to post my ML photo of today's breakfast, which was better than yesterdays.  The breakfast part of the program is always a struggle for me, since I've spent a lifetime being a "just coffee in the morning" person.  It is even more difficult for me when doing an AIP Whole30, cuz eggs ain't on the AIP and "paleo-fied" ain't on the Whole30.  So no breakfast casserole or AIP pancakes/breakfast bars.

At any rate, this morning's breakfast was herbal blend coffee w/homemade coconut milk & coconut oil, 2 homemade sausage patties w/homemade slow cooker apple butter, some mashed yuca & bacon braised mixed greens from last night's dinner.

Happy Day 2 to us all - see y'all tomorrow. 

I just wanted to say hi and join in the fun! This is my third Whole30 (I think I've done a "Whole15 or so," too  :( ), and I'm really excited. I began January 1 and so far it's going well. I needed this and I'm looking forward to feeling great and enjoying some awesome meals!

This will be my second Whole30 and I'm really excited to be doing it again. I need a break from vino after the holidays!

This time around, my goal was to get other people to do it with me so we could push and support each other. After getting a lot of "you're crazy" and "hell no", I'm happy to say that my brother (who is already paleo) and an awesome friend (who is a serial-snacker) will be joining me.

January is a great month to do a Whole30, try to encourage others to join you!

Hey, that's me!  I'm not missing wine, yet.

I just started too! This is day 2. Like some other people mentioned... I have also attempted two other times, but I basically said it on a whim. I think I'm just going to start today... and that always ended badly but this time I was more prepared and committed. I am blogging my experience at http://wholesomething.weebly.com/. I think that will help me stay on track!

Day 1 went well. Day 2 had sausage and cinnamon apple for Breakfast with ginger/jasmine green tea. Feel very satiated.

And last night I had a Whole 30 dream! I dreamed I was eating chicken and realized halfway through it was breaded with "grain product". That's how it came out - "Oh NO it's breaded with grain product!" 

Can't remember next but I think I realized I was dreaming and smiled, continued eating mmmmmmmm. Is that noncompliant, if you dream you're eating something noncompliant? ;)

Hi everyone! I started the Whole30 on Jan 1...going strong on day 2! For me I think the hardest part will be avoiding sweets...I usually have dessert every night and come to expect it now. Also, at work there is always free food lying around that is usually not very healthy, so the constant temptations will be tough.

I have Ulcerative Colitis and am just coming off from a bad flare up, which is what led me to the Whole30. I know dairy effects me but am curious to see how my body reacts to the elimination of grains, legumes, alcohol, sugar, etc. I also gained weight on the steroids I was on, and was not confident with the way I looked. Now that I'm finally off of them I want to get into my best shape ever by doing Whole30, and exercising (I do Kettlebell classes, yoga, and run). I'm hoping to feel better than ever after this!

Hi! I'm having a really hard time following along with the forums on my iphone / I think I'm just mentally blocked on it! I'm on day 2 of my 2nd round of whole30 and have a horrible chest cold!! Would love to be added to the fb account for extra inspiration and support (to give and receive!) thanks! Oh! My fb name is Lisa Pelletier-Epstein

Day 2 of my Whole30, and so far so good. I went to a New Years' party yesterday at my godparents' house and was able to turn down the wine and stuck with raw veggies and guacamole and salsa while everyone else snacked on pizza and cookies and chips (not a big deal since I wasn't eating that stuff pre-whole30 anyway, but I actually was really satisfied with what I had). We had this big discussion about reuben sandwiches which left me craving sauerkraut, so I opened up a can when I got home to eat with tuna on a bed of lettuce...I immediately noticed it seemed sweet so I spit it out. It was Bavarian-style with a touch of sugar. Why would you add sugar to sauerkraut?! Ruining a perfectly good thing. I'm not counting it as a misstep or need to start over since it wasn't actually consumed. 

I woke up today actually feeling good despite expecting "the hangover" detailed in the timeline. I'm hoping tomorrow I feel just as good...my diet before was actually pretty similar most days, minus the stevia and hummus. Three eggs for breakfast with spinach and nutritional yeast for added protein post-workout and an apple, and I've got a paleo jambalaya in the crockpot for later. 

Thanks, @praxisproject and @NazzaB for the tips and support on my first post! I'm actually already a huge fan of seltzer water and have been infusing plain water with grapefruit, oranges, and limes. Hopefully the stevia cravings will be satisfied with this lol

Archived