Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Day 2 has started!

Does anyone think that it is harder or easier to do a whole30 in the dead of winter? Thoughts?

I personally like the seasonally veg that are just so darn delicious roasted :))

Easier, because of swedes (sadly its summer here)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harder in winter - cuz it's canada and finding non ugly fruits and veg is difficult.

Yay for me!! I've been battling a horrible cold and have no appetite ( except for toast and honey of course!). But I sniffled and coughed my way thru making a one pot quick soup! I had pre made broth and chicken thighs so I just tossed some onion, celery, carrot into a medium pot with the broth, garlic, ginger and turmeric! At the last minute I added coconut milk and thai curry paste! Sooo yum and a saviour right now!

Hi Everyone!!  I started yesterday, Jan 1, and I'm here now because I'm in the middle of a massive sugar-withdrawal headache and can only think about food!! Can't focus on work!! Needed some motivation!  Thank you to this forum for being a place I can spend time and distract myself from work (just for a bit, then back to work!) and attempt to stay motivated on the challenge!

I learned about Paleo a couple years ago and eat mainly that way about 80% of the time, but the past few months have been crazy busy with taking over a Director position at work, opening a CrossFit gym with my husband, and buying our first place to live, that I've let my eating habits really slip and I feel the sugar cravings controlling me and my mood. Not cool!

I decided I've got to get back on track if I'm going to be a role-model for the members at our gym. and I need it for the energy to handle my 16-hour days. So my husband and I both started this Jan 1 and we plan to roll it out as a group to our members on Feb. 1!

The resources available on this website are really great - thank you to Melissa & Dallas for organizing all this into such a convenient resource for people. I'm a few chapters into their book "It starts with Food" and loving it and how simple it is.

Ok to all you out there on the program - Congrats on starting and YOu can Do It!!

:)

~Amanda

Day 2 has started!

Does anyone think that it is harder or easier to do a whole30 in the dead of winter? Thoughts?

I personally like the seasonally veg that are just so darn delicious roasted :))

I like it in all seasons, but I've done a few now :)

And last night I had a Whole 30 dream! I dreamed I was eating chicken and realized halfway through it was breaded with "grain product". That's how it came out - "Oh NO it's breaded with grain product!" 

Can't remember next but I think I realized I was dreaming and smiled, continued eating mmmmmmmm. Is that noncompliant, if you dream you're eating something noncompliant? ;)

The dreams are fine :D Some of them can be really funny. I had one where I ate wood (furniture kind of wood) and I couldn't figure out if it was compliant or not lol

You click the Quote option at the bottom right of the post.  You can quote the entire post or edit the Quote to reply to only the part that's relevant to your comment.

When you Quote, the member you're quoting gets a notification.  This is a good habit to use, especially in a lengthy thread like this one ... otherwise people need to comb through multiple posts in the thread to see if someone responded to them.

Thanks for the tip GFChris! ;o)

Thanks for the link and adding me to the Facebook group! This is my first Whole30 and I'm really starting to see the "Whole30 community" that kept being referenced throughout the introductory materials. I just moved to a new town and work from home so I have been missing that sense of community. It's really nice to see how everyone supports each other and I hope to contribute to someone else's (or many someone elses'!) journey and provide that support as well.

To introduce myself...

I'm 22 and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and IBS since I was 12 (just realized a decade - sheesh). I have gone through a bunch of medications (steroids, 6mp, mesalamine, VSL #3DS, anti-spasmodics, etc). I have found varying degrees of limited or temporary success on each of those. I started following a FODMAP diet per my physician about a year ago but it was tough because it was the week before Thanksgiving and then through the holidays. I have done OK with it because I paleo-fied everything (sigh). I felt significantly better but couldn't stay on track for any extended (>a few weeks) period of time because of the cravings and trying to eat out with my significant other. Enter W30 about 6 months ago. 

Hey QueenElsa, nice to meet you!

This community seems to be very supportive, so I'm sure there will be people you connect with that can offer advice to help you along the way.

I know a 16 year old boy with Ulcerative Colitis and two people with Crohn's so I understand that life isn't easy for you.

Let us all know how we can help & best of luck!

(It's day 3 for me here in Sydney. I think LeahCarn in NZ and I might be the few Southern Hemispherer's here so we're a little ahead of everyone)!

Any other southern peeps out there?

Leanne. xx

I intended to start on January 1, and actually made it through that okay, but messed up today, so I hit the "reset" button on my email digest (yes, the paid one). I'm back on Day 0, which includes getting active on the forum! So here I am!

I'm 25 and already take a handful of pills every morning--have for years--plus I'm about 60 lbs overweight. Since I have celiac disease, paleo makes a lot of sense in the first place, but I've never really been able to get on it and stay on it. I'm hoping with a little extra New Year's Resolve, I'll be able to complete this Whole30 and then transition into a less-strict-but-still-healthy version of paleo. I've got a list of health problems, but the biggest thing is, I just don't feel well. And I should be able to do that, right? Anyway, I'm here for the whole "change your life" thing. Nice to "meet" everyone!

• Moderators

Wow, I didn't realise I'd miss cheese before alcohol!!! Everything I plan to make would taste 10 times better with a cheese accompaniment......I'm currently roasting some beetroot, which when cooled and tossed in vinegar & oil, makes a delish salad with baby spinach, nuts & persian feta....I wanted to fill large mushroom cups with bacon & cheese, not sure what else to fill it with now - suggestions?

Not sure about the mushrooms, but I can tell you that this Belly Dance Beet Salad is good, since you can't have the feta in yours.  

I try not to make too many things that I really, really would miss the cheese with -- for instance, on my first W30, I made chili and just couldn't get past the fact that I couldn't have cheese with it. I ate it, but every meal that included it, I was like, I want cheese!!  There are so many recipes out there that don't need cheese, maybe try to find those instead. Once you find some good, flavorful recipes, you'll realize you don't need the cheese on everything.

I started my Whole 30 today, the 2nd of January. Let's make this month count everyone!

Me too!

I had some specialty sausages that I wanted to eat yesterday, so I postponed my start for a day.  Today was good.  Bring it on, tomorrow!

I think it's a little harder in winter without the abundance of good fruits & veggies at the market.  I wanted to purchase berries so badly, but they were $5 for a tiny container at the store - ouch!

So today was the first day this week I woke up without feeling hungover (I pretty much started on Monday, with possible gluten contamination on New Year's Eve). Wednesday and Thursday morning were rough, so YAY for that! I actually felt quite satisfied all day and I never got ravenously hungry or had that urge to snack. My milk supply has decreased, unfortunately, which could be problematic next week when I'm away from the baby so I'm trying to add even more fat and sweet potatoes to my plate. I'm kinda high on Whole30 right now. I finally convinved my SO that we should invest in local meat and veggie CSAs. Oh yeah...and I haven't weighed or measured myself or anything, but my postpartum belly is DEFINITELY substantially less bloated!

Hey Shannon! I agree, stay away from your favourite meals that include Whole30 no no's.

Last night's dinner was delish in the end.....I stuffed the mushrooms with yummy minced chicken topped with cauliflower rice (with a splash of fish sauce) which made them like breadcrumbs, and pinenuts. I did the same with zucchini's. I roasted the beetroot and tossed it in apple cider vinegar & olive oil, added baby spinach & crushed walnuts. Lastly I roasted some carrots with a little sesame oil & seeds - yummo!!!

Hi everyone,. I also started January 1.  I don't have any health problems, I just want to get healthy! I am 48 and this is the first 30 for me. Although, I have a family 2 boys 20 and 18 and a girl 14, plus my husband they will not be joining me on this journey.  My goal is for me to get healthy and by doing so I can help my middle kid to get healthy also.  So, day one went well! I made ginger chicken and mixed veggies for dinner and all loved it.  I left the bread in the draw and no one asked about it or got up to get it them selves.  Day 2 the family had chili, need to use up the leftovers and I had eggs. I am also putting down what I eat on myfitnesspal.  So to all good luck

OK today is day 2 and I'm already feeling the effects of eating healthy food. I'm so tired my butt feels like it's lead and just wants to sit. My brain just wants to check out. And the cravings - even for just a cup of tea with milk. And a cookie. Just one cooke. Really, how can one little cookie really hurt?

All those poor little bacteria are dying and screaming "feeeed uuuuus!" which translates to "cooookiieee". And there isn't a single thing I can do. I feel so powerless. Poor little things.

Now onto my yummy healthy dinner of mustard salmon baked with apple, and kale salad with hb-egg, carrot/celery sesame seeds, figs and oil and ac-vinegar (ran out of lemon).

I'm actually having a hard time eating enough calories!

Is counting cals ok on whole 30? Sorry for not being clear - I never used to count calories, but now, especially with working out, which also happened today, and it helped even though I felt a bit lethargic, I have to be sure I'm eating enough since I'm not cramming my face with cheese and cookies anymore. 

Thank you PraxisProject for sharing your dream. I wonder what eating wood means? Makes one grateful the Whole 30 program isn't about just eating tree bark. 

Maybe a new Share Your Whole 30 dreams thread would be fun.

Kelly 2015 - I adore myfitness pal! It's saving my butt with new habit forming exercise and food record. I find recording my meals and exercise really helps me stay on track.

Hi everyone!  I'm on day 2 of my Whole30 as well -- so far it's going well.  I just did a huge cook-up as per Melissa Joulwan -- bone broth, roasted veggies, what feels like hundreds of meatballs...tomorrow I'm going to hardboil a bunch of eggs and make a pot of zucchini soup (Well Fed 2), and then I have NO EXCUSE to grab something off-plan when I get home from work exhausted with three kids hanging off me.  :-p

My dinner wasn't too terribly exciting tonight -- fried yuca and a hamburger topped with kimchi and wrapped in a lettuce leaf.  I was going to fry an egg (which I adore on hamburgers) but after all the cooking, I was like, "blegh" and decided to be lazy instead.  Now I'm drinking a huge mug of tea.  Feeling pretty good though -- no real desire to dive headfirst into a pile of cookies.  Yet, anyway.  :-D

On Xmas eve, there was a table full of sweet treats that people made.  Since I started on 12/23, I couldn't have them.....sigh.  They asked if I wanted to take some home, and I thought.....um, yeah I do!  I thought I'd bring a bunch home to eat on Day 31.  Seriously.....I figured I could have a massive pig-out on frozen month-old desserts.  At the end of the night, I did take home some of the food....turkey, chopped veggies......but I left the desserts.  Now, I'm so glad I left them, because I can eat those suckers frozen solid, and they'd be here tempting me.

Hahaha that reminds me of saving candy as a kid during Lent ... it all ended up as one big brick of frozen stuff ... I think half the time my mom threw it out because we forgot about it. :)

testing the photo thing - how weird.  I could not copy it from a local folder on my PC, but could copy it from my photo album on FB using "copy image"  -- curiouser & curiouser.

It's because the forum doesn't host photos, so it couldn't "see" the one on your harddrive. The facebook copy of the pic was already hosted online, so the forum merely has to "point" to the location in the facebook album.

Newbie over here. I started yesterday but didn't get around to introducing myself until today.

I'm 25, have a 2 year old son, and live in Mississippi. I'm starting to get reeealy nervous about this because I'm the only one in my household in the program. Anyone else feel my pain here?

Whole30 advises against counting calories. Focus on eating whole, nutrient-dense food that makes you healthy, and tune into your satiety signals instead. More details here:http://whole30.com/2013/02/you-count-more-than-your-calories-do/

Oh wow GF Chris and Whole 30 peeps - I just read the article linked above (Thank You) and wow here I am touting myfitnesspal to be the best app.

Thing is, myfitnesspal is helping me be realistic. It's helping me be aware of my eating patterns. It's a practical tool for me to use to be aware of what I eat and how much and also when I exercise.

Because I think when you're in an eating groove that doesn't support your gut, or your body - like grazing like a cow - it's reeeeally easy to fool yourself - to not be aware.

I use to believe it was healthy to lose 3--4 pounds a week. But after so much yoyoing I realized that looking at pounds and weight in the first place doesn't hep me. I just need to take it slow if I want to really change my habits and myfitpal helped me do that. The app actually helped me steer me away from thinking about pounds and weight and more about what I ate and how the calories build up when I graze.

Now enter Whole30 and my awareness is ever expanding. I still believe recording in myfitpal while in the Whole 30 program helps me but I do think that eventually, once I've developed a better more healthy eating groove and awareness, I won't need it anymore. It's a tool, like a hammer. You don't need to hammer everything in sight, just use it when you need it. 

My 2 cents.  We'll see how it goes.... 

Day 2 has started!

Rachel- I was just thinking that today too! My last one was in August, so much wonderful fruit in season! Thankfully I still am a fan of apples and winter veggies, but I do miss all the berries that come around each summer!

Hi,

I'm Alphie and I'm new to the forum but not the program.  I had such a great time when I did this in September 2014.  I decided I wanted to start another one January 2nd but really knew I needed to start it New Year's day.  I really felt a change in my body from the first one.  It reminded me of where I wanted to make changes.  I eat really well but it's been all the extra snacking I let in.  I really didn't know how much it made me feel crappy and doing the Whole 30 showed me that.

I didn't go back to snacking the way I used to but I did allow a few things back in.  Now I am so excited about doing this.  I feel sort of crappy today because I actually drank more in the last few weeks and I don't drink much at all.  My body is detoxing big time and it's well needed.

I'm glad to be here and happy to support and be supported.

Newbie over here. I started yesterday but didn't get around to introducing myself until today.

I'm 25, have a 2 year old son, and live in Mississippi. I'm starting to get reeealy nervous about this because I'm the only one in my household in the program. Anyone else feel my pain here?

I hear you.  Even if you have someone else doing it with you it doesn't always make it easy.  You can do it because it's for you and as you allow this to be a loving gesture towards yourself your family will get all the benefit from you.  One big thing I find is to admit the struggle and then pat yourself on the back for doing something good for yourself.....which can be especially hard for women who have a family, you tend to put their needs before your own.  You are worth this.

Archived