Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/27/gyoza-soup-pork-broth/

This was my lunch and it was delicious.  Seriously.  Ah-maz-ing.  A bit of a pain in the tush to get all of the components together -- the gyoza, the pork broth (24 hours in the slowcooker), chopping veggies,etc, but now that I have all of the stuff, I can throw together a batch in about 10 minutes.  So good.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay BLuebonnets for not succumbing to the cake! Wow, that's pretty strong!!

Praxis, I love the baked eggs over sausage/prosciutto recipe. Gonna get some prosciutto/sausage today.

LeaC your dinner last night sounds also scrumptious - going to try the Avocado, Cucumber & Pistachio Salad tonight!

Today I'm feeling it a bit. Slept 9 (nine, nuevo, neuf) hours last night. I'm going to an afternoon sunday ecstatic dance later (I know, hippy, but I live in Portland Or.) and bringing a hard boiled egg to eat right after as it's two hours of high cardio fun. Hope it'll wake me up a bit - I always feel better when I sweat.

Hello Hello! Just figured I would check in! Still feeling tired today after the remnents of christmas hangover get out of my system. It is amazing what 4 or 5 days of off track eating will do for you. Oh well, thats life :)

Idefinitely had my first food dream of this whole30 cycle, strangely enough it was about jelly beans. I swear I have not eaten jelly beans for years and have absolutely no desire to eat them. They are my grandfathers favorite candy and thats the only connection we have to them. I woke up in an absolute frighttt thinking I managed to get my hands on some jelly beans and eat the whole carton in my sleep. Thankfully enough that is absolutely impossible.

Does anyone have any new years resolutions that they are going to follow?? Besides the obvious whole30 rules?

Day 4 in the can! Being my 3rd Whole30 I already knew what to expect and how to deal with meal planning etc...my main issue is and has always been binge eating. Never anything like a jumbo bag of snickers or anything, I tended to the savory - cheese and processed meats for example. I would be eating Meal 1 & 2 perfectly in keeping with the plan...then dinner would be a bag of chips (olive oil), salsa, a wedge of cheese and a package of salami.

wow, seeing that in writing is even hard.

Deep Breath.

OK, like I said up at the top, day 4 in the can - here's to a successful reset for everyone!

Jesse

Barefoot, that's me to a T.  I could eat an entire package of salami with sliced cheese, no issues. 

I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life right now.  Had my third baby six months ago, and I'm over 30 now, so I really shouldn't be surprised that it's harder to keep the scale where I want it...plus, with a sedentary, high-stress job, I haven't taken off much of the baby weight (and I put on way too much -- well over the 25-35 recommended).  I was a size 6/8 before I got pregnant, and now I'm having to hold my breath to squeeze into my size 12 jeans.  I'd be a little more zen about it if I wasn't in the Army -- they're going to want me back under my "table" weight here shortly.  That's probably 11 pounds from where I am.  :-p

My back has been really hurting recently.  I feel sore and creaky all the time, which makes working out difficult.  I was in great shape before I got pregnant (I've been paleo for about two years and an avid crossfitter), so I'd like to get to where it's comfortable to run again.  I miss LIKING to run.  I used to lace up my sneakers as a form of therapy, now I would much rather sit on the couch.  It's all part and parcel; I'm hoping getting my house in order on the food front will translate to more energy/less soreness/more motiviation on the gym front.

So that's why I'M doing this.  :-p  Now I'm off to make some rogan josh!

Day 13 continues.....got a call from a friend for an impromptu lunch out at an italian place.  

I don't want to be "one of those people", and this place is known for its pasta, pizza, etc.  But a quick online check of the menu, and I was out the door, with a super fun time with my friend and her small child.  Ate chicken w/artichokes, spinach, and a small salad.  Gave away the roll (too tempting otherwise), and pushed away the croutons.  And did the "sub spinach for side pasta" thing.  I think I can eat out now!

• Day 4.  Started out a little rocky :angry: attitude wise but after working on the farm for a while my attitude was much better.  I was actually and over achiever and moved more bales of hay then needed. Eventually, the horses will eat the extra hay.

@ Praxisproject    I didn't use the egg yokes because, to  make the pancake you just need the egg whites and whip them up until they become nice peeks.  Then you pour the stiff peeked egg whites on top of  fruit you warm up in coconut oil then bake the pancake for about 15 minutes.  Although, my dog loved the yokes :).  But don't try this pancake until your W30 is complete, it's not compliant with the W30. 

M1 eggs with brussel sprouts and venison. M2 was much lighter then normal, I just wasn't that hungry. Hard boiled egg and some green olives. M3 pork chops, sauerkraut and broccoli.

Have a great night everyone :D!

Hello I am starting Whole30 tomorrow. I know it's not the first, but I am a teacher and we are back to school tomorrow so I figured it would be easiest to get into the swing of a routine. This is my first time doing this, I did my meal prep for the week today and am excited to see results. I have lost 40 pounds since I have started my weight loss journey, but I have been stuck for almost a year now so that is why I am giving this a try. Looking to get everyone's support!!

Laura

I'm starting on Jan. 1st. I'm worried about telling my parents (am in High School) because I'm afraid they'll say things like, "You don't need to go on a diet." But I do. I'm not overweight, but I'm at the higher end of the "Healthy" weight range for my height. I don't want to do the diet for my weight, but mainly in order to feel healthier. My family already tries to eat healthy, all organic food, lots of veggies and fruit, but you can slip sometimes-exspecially during the holidays. So I want to try and create a healthier life for me, but without my parents. Maybe I'll tell them, maybe I won't-your opinions?

The Whole 30 is not about losing weight and it is NOT a diet. Weightloss, if it happens, is just a bonus. It is more like a detox/resetting of your system/body. After the 30 days are over, you reintroduce foods to find out what doesn't work for you or makes you feel lousy. Your parents should be happy for you that you are trying to be healthy. I would tell them. Have them read the book and do some research. I bet they will help you.

Hello I am starting Whole30 tomorrow. I know it's not the first, but I am a teacher and we are back to school tomorrow so I figured it would be easiest to get into the swing of a routine. This is my first time doing this, I did my meal prep for the week today and am excited to see results. I have lost 40 pounds since I have started my weight loss journey, but I have been stuck for almost a year now so that is why I am giving this a try. Looking to get everyone's support!!

Laura

I'm starting tomorrow too. Good luck!

The Whole 30 is not about losing weight and it is NOT a diet. Weightloss, if it happens, is just a bonus. It is more like a detox/resetting of your system/body. After the 30 days are over, you reintroduce foods to find out what doesn't work for you or makes you feel lousy. Your parents should be happy for you that you are trying to be healthy. I would tell them. Have them read the book and do some research. I bet they will help you.

I'm glad for the reminder by JocI that this is NOT a diet and if weightloss happens, its just a bonus.....whilst my eventual goal will be to lose weight after I finish Whole30, I can't lose any weight moving forward unless I break these old eating and drinking habits. I expect to lose some weight on this program anyway, cutting out all those empty calories for a month has GOT to make a difference to my body composition, so I'm quite excited!

Today (Day 5) started off a bit 'blah' for me I have to admit. <_< Whilst I had been boasting about how good I'd been feeling, I can't help but think maybe now it's catching up with me?

I didn't have much appetite for breakfast but still ate a baked egg & bacon cup and my last left over stuffed zucchini (trying to use up the leftovers)! For lunch I polished off the last off the chicken mince & cauliflower concoction & added some slivered almonds + the pistachio, avo, cue salad from last night + a handful of cherries. I feel a lot better.

I'm currently cooking the slow cooker pulled pork from Every Day Paleo and hope to take this on a picnic tomorrow with lot's of other yummy Whole30 goodies to keep me going.

Keep going guys - we're all AMAZING!!!

Survived day 4.

M1 was chicken and celery - weird combination but I was driving 2 hours home from work and it kept me from the temptation of stopping at McDonalds.  Lunch was egg salad and a grilled hamburger.  Another weird combo but oh well.  Dinner was paleo chicken pot pie without the crust.  I slow cooked a chicken today and then used the carrots and the chicken to turn it into chicken pot pie for the whole family.  Then I pulled the bones from the chicken and put them into my Instant Pot with new carrots, celery and water for another batch of bone broth.

Tomorrow is the big test for me.  The kids and I live away from home during the week while they attend school in a different school district.  It means bringing several days' worth of compliant meals with me to my friend's house where we stay.  I'm not really comfortable doing big cooking projects in her kitchen, so mostly I eat reheated leftovers.  I am trying to keep the kids compliant, too, except they get rice.

Tonight my husband wants to go out for a beer after the kids go to bed.  I'm thinking of bringing a bottle of kombucha with me so I can drink something along with him.

drtracyb, Kombucha is 1% alcohol so you'll be 'drinking' with him anyway! I love Kombucha, but with the sugar added 'before' fermentation, is that OK on Whole30? I'm thinking 'yes' because everyone's talking about it!

leaC - I make it when I remember, I brew Twinings fruit teas in hot water and then have over ice or with mineral water. I rarely drink at all now even when I'm not Whole30. Yummy dinner!

Ready - it does get better, have some extra sweet potato, it helps to cut down on the cranky :) also, I personally recommend not exercising unless you feel very motivated to do so. Cranky exercise can result in injuries.

Jenn - Soup is nice and comforting :)

I have been craving soup the past few days non-stop! :) Years ago when hubby and I used to frequent the Olive Garden (bad I know...) my favorite thing there was their Zuppa Toscana soup. That's been on my mind the past few days, I need to recreate it Whole 30 style (probably been done already- just have to search!). :)

Yesterday marked Day 12 for me (I started a little early), and I am soooooo proud of myself....

Went to a dinner party last night; my friend is the most amazing cook.  I didn't want to cancel due to being on W30, nor did I want to be "one of those people", as no one in my real life knows I'm doing this.  

I was originally going to take an Uber with some other friends due to drinking, but since I'm on W30, I volunteered to drive, so.....problem #1 solved....built-in "no alcohol" excuse.

Appetizers were easy, as she had these amazing-smelling-and-looking popover pastry things, but also a lovely veggie tray.  I successfully ate only veggies, none of the dip (didn't know what was in it).

Dinner was easy too, as she had salad and beef tenderloin and potatoes.  

Dessert was so tough!  She made the most amazing-looking cake, and served everyone a huge slice!  I asked my friend next to me if she wanted to split a piece with me, so we "split" it.  I never took a bite, and everyone was so busy talking and laughing, no one even noticed!  I found it kind of funny, as I felt I was "getting away" with something!

And yesterday (Day 12) was actually my first "Kill all the Things" days, so I was worried going in.  On to Day 13....

Nice work bluebonnets, staying compliant at parties is tough! A friend once told me it works well if you take a slice of cake, kind of stab at it with your fork, move it around the plate, and it looks like you've "eaten" without eating. Of course, my willpower usually works better if I just say no thanks up front. :) My birthday is next weekend, I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to do myself as we'll be visiting with my aunt and uncle. She is big into health food, but in the traditional way we grew up with (low fat, whole grains), and isn't quite sure what to think of my Whole 30 stuff. But I'll figure it out! I'll be almost 2 weeks in at that point (started 12/29), and I don't want to lose that much progress!

Barefoot, that's me to a T.  I could eat an entire package of salami with sliced cheese, no issues. 

I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life right now.  Had my third baby six months ago, and I'm over 30 now, so I really shouldn't be surprised that it's harder to keep the scale where I want it...plus, with a sedentary, high-stress job, I haven't taken off much of the baby weight (and I put on way too much -- well over the 25-35 recommended).  I was a size 6/8 before I got pregnant, and now I'm having to hold my breath to squeeze into my size 12 jeans.  I'd be a little more zen about it if I wasn't in the Army -- they're going to want me back under my "table" weight here shortly.  That's probably 11 pounds from where I am.  :-p

My back has been really hurting recently.  I feel sore and creaky all the time, which makes working out difficult.  I was in great shape before I got pregnant (I've been paleo for about two years and an avid crossfitter), so I'd like to get to where it's comfortable to run again.  I miss LIKING to run.  I used to lace up my sneakers as a form of therapy, now I would much rather sit on the couch.  It's all part and parcel; I'm hoping getting my house in order on the food front will translate to more energy/less soreness/more motiviation on the gym front.

I totally understand where you are. When I'm really in my groove, eating right and exercising, I feel great. But once I start missing workouts, and I start giving in to too many treats, I just feel kind of blah overall. After finishing my Whole 30 in September I felt amazing, and kicked myself for letting that go over the holidays. But hey, it's why we're here, right? :)

Laura

Welcome Laura- and congrats on your weight loss, that's fantastic! I finally lost the remaining baby weight a few years ago. I was stuck at a plateau since then which I finally broke through during my last Whole 30. Nothing got me through it until then. I think if anything can push you over the plateau, this will be it. Good luck!

edit: I didn't go into this for weight loss, I was in the healthy range, but still about 10 lbs away from "goal". The weight loss was just an added benefit- but it paled in comparison to the other benefits. :)

I'm a police officer and the added stress of being fit enough to do my job and at the right 'weight' makes it tough sometimes. I know how you feel! I could probably let myself go more than I have but ordering new uniform is an ordeal and a half so at least my work pants/shirt/belt keep me honest ;)

Nice work bluebonnets, staying compliant at parties is tough! A friend once told me it works well if you take a slice of cake, kind of stab at it with your fork, move it around the plate, and it looks like you've "eaten" without eating. Of course, my willpower usually works better if I just say no thanks up front. :) My birthday is next weekend, I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to do myself as we'll be visiting with my aunt and uncle. She is big into health food, but in the traditional way we grew up with (low fat, whole grains), and isn't quite sure what to think of my Whole 30 stuff. But I'll figure it out! I'll be almost 2 weeks in at that point (started 12/29), and I don't want to lose that much progress!

My trick for cake is to go on and on a bit about how stuffed you are from the delicious dinner, thus complimenting the host a bit to "make up for" turning down the cake (shame how people can get offended, but they can). If they really won't take no for an answer, I ask for a "tiny bit to take home", then bin it. Whats a bit of wasted food compared to a relationship.

I have been paleo for 2 years, and my close friends and family are just finding out now. I don't like to talk about myself and didn't want to be justifying what I eat while I was still experimenting

Bronnyd, garlic is one of the things I eliminated on a low fodmap plan, also onions, cauliflower, broccoli etc. You can find a full list of allowed and not allowed on the whole30 website, and it has done wonders for my gut health

leahcarn did you ever do a SIBO text or any other test to determine what exactly was going wrong with your gut? Whilst I had BIG improvements in my gut during my first W30, it wasn't 100% and has gone backwards very quickly since reintroducing a few things in the gap between the 1st and 2nd W30. How quickly did you notice changes to your gut when you followed a FODMAP plan? And do you think you could reintroduce those foods later or are they eliminated for good?

I had planned on starting on 1st Jan, but realised that I was being a little unrealistic as we were away and I didn't have much control over my meals; so today has been Day 1!  :)

I can't tell you how happy I was this morning when I woke up as I knew I was getting back into the program for my 2nd W30.  After nearly 2 weeks of eating a few foods that aren't compliant (mainly a bit of alcohol and the occasional bit of sugar or processed food such as mayonnaise) I have felt horrible, grouchy, achey, bloated and generally crap.  I was compliant 85% of the time so it's actually quite amazing how bad I felt when I only went off-plan every now and then.

After 3 awesome compliant meals today I can already feel my body saying thank you.  The aches and pains have reduced significantly already and I look forward to my stomach being less bloated.

My PT sessions start tomorrow - I know it's going to hurt but I'm looking forward to getting my normal routine back again.

Here's to another 30 days of great food and good health!

Archived