Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Day 3 for me. I didn't manage to post yesterday, but did stay on target.

M1 several handfuls of nuts

M2 Brisket and green salad-lots of both

M3 2 pears and an orange

Yes....I know. Not very balanced, and low on the veggies. I'm a cyclist, and my husband gave me a super uber awesome amazing sexy cool and wonderful mountain bike for Christmas. Totally shocked me since a)that's a very big gift for us and B) he doesn't do surprises normally....SO: now I really want to turn my winter riding up a notch, but I know from past experience this whole 30 thing can kick my tail energy-wise. Therefore I'm trying to keep a little higher carb ratio. I also think I'm iron deficient, (something I tend to struggle with) so I'm going to work on that simultaneously. W30 says protein and fat pre-exercise. But I've had some pretty significant issues with bonking on that routine. So I think I'm going to try a sweet potato with LOTS of fat this morning and see how I do.

Have a great day today everyone! Remember that there are 40 gazillion options of fun and satisfying things to do that DON'T involve eating the short list of foods that are 'forbidden' on W30 :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W30 says protein and fat pre-exercise. But I've had some pretty significant issues with bonking on that routine. So I think I'm going to try a sweet potato with LOTS of fat this morning and see how I do.

Out of curiosity, what issues did you have and how long did you experiment with protein and fat pre WO?  History shows it typically takes people 2-3 weeks to get fat adapted. That's what you're aiming for, which is why W30 advises against using carbs pre WO.

Happy Day 5, for those of you on Day 5!

Blergh, I had a weigh-in this morning.  (For those of you not in the armed services, every so often your unit puts you on a scale to determine whether you exceed your alloted poundage for your particular height).  Spoiler alert, I exceeded my alloted weight by 11 pounds.  Unngh I feel chubby this morning.  Not a good way to start off my week!  I tried telling my boss that the 30-day program I'm on discourages weighing oneself...he didn't buy it.  :-D

At least that gave me good motivation for the program!  I had a big bowl of silken zucchini soup and five gyoza meatballs (pork and cabbage and water chestnuts and garlic and mmmm).  Feeling pretty good.  I'm also going to the lunchtime crossfit class today.  Whee!

Day 1 for me today. Breakfast Bulletproof coffee and 2 boiled eggs with whole30 mayo. Lunch: salmon and avocado, dinner: ground sirloin baked wrapped with bacon. We got this Happy New Year, Happy Whole 30, great Health everyone

Can I join in? I started my Whole30 on the first so today is day 5. So far so good (well, now that the headache and grumpies are starting to wear off)!

This is my second whole30 and am using it to get myself back on track after feeling the effects of 6 months of stress eating.

Looking forward to the journey!

Happy Day 5, for those of you on Day 5!

Blergh, I had a weigh-in this morning.  (For those of you not in the armed services, every so often your unit puts you on a scale to determine whether you exceed your alloted poundage for your particular height).  Spoiler alert, I exceeded my alloted weight by 11 pounds.  Unngh I feel chubby this morning.  Not a good way to start off my week!  I tried telling my boss that the 30-day program I'm on discourages weighing oneself...he didn't buy it.  :-D

Ew! At least it keeps you honest! ;)

leahcarn did you ever do a SIBO text or any other test to determine what exactly was going wrong with your gut? Whilst I had BIG improvements in my gut during my first W30, it wasn't 100% and has gone backwards very quickly since reintroducing a few things in the gap between the 1st and 2nd W30. How quickly did you notice changes to your gut when you followed a FODMAP plan? And do you think you could reintroduce those foods later or are they eliminated for good?

On the fodmap plan, it took 38 days to get rid of all symptoms, but most were gone within 5. I don't have a lot of money for doctor's visits, so my plan it to test reintroduce all the foods, recording my reactions, then take the list to the doctor to ask which tests I need. I hope I can reintroduce some things eventually, but it might just be a case of deciding whether the symptoms are worth it or not. I know when overall fodmaps are low, I react better to small amounts if a fodmap food

It's nice to just eat healthy food and not think about it too much.... like questioning whether I'm eating too much (rarely the opposite) and/or do I want to pay the consequences of having that chocolate cookie or piece of candy?

I found that by day 3 and 4, I didn't even go there and it feels really nice. I was a little cranky/tired yesterday, but it was just a day.

Yesterday, day 4, I ate scrambled eggs and a banana for breaky, coconut chicken soup for lunch and same for dinner but with julienned carrots and celery and kale added into the soup. And a couple dates with about 10 almonds for dessert.

Exercising just about every day. I feel a bit better today so far - energy level seems to be higher. I just take it day by day with body shifting into new habit and way of being. 

M1 several handfuls of nuts

M2 Brisket and green salad-lots of both

M3 2 pears and an orange

Yes....I know. Not very balanced, and low on the veggies.

Low on protein too, and fruit is a bit high.

Keep the template in mind for each meal: 1-2 palm-sized proteins, 1-2 thumbs of fat (nuts are a fat on W30), and 1-2 cups of veggies.

Day 1 for me today. Breakfast Bulletproof coffee and 2 boiled eggs with whole30 mayo. Lunch: salmon and avocado, dinner: ground sirloin baked wrapped with bacon. We got this Happy New Year, Happy Whole 30, great Health everyone

BPC and 2 HB eggs for me too this morning! 

drtracyb, Kombucha is 1% alcohol so you'll be 'drinking' with him anyway! I love Kombucha, but with the sugar added 'before' fermentation, is that OK on Whole30? I'm thinking 'yes' because everyone's talking about it!

I agree - kombucha is the one enigma of the Whole30.  I get quite a buzz after just a sip or two of kombucha.

I've been addicted to chicken broth lately - I use it as my warm drink in the morning.  I also am addicted to the smitten kitchen website and found this post today.  I am going to try it in my Instant Pot the next time I need broth (without the noodles, of course).

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/01/my-ultimate-chicken-noodle-soup/#more-13762

smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/01/my-ultimate-chicken-noodle-soup/#more-13762

Hey everyone. Its day five and things were going great until this morning..,I think I'm coming down with a cold! My nose is dripping and sore throat, boo! Any advice to get over this cold quick? I'm not a joy to be around when I'm sick and having to work full time as a dental assistant. 

Hope everyone else is going strong! 

On track so far with day one. Sweet potato hash and eggs for breakfast. Giant salad w turkey, avacado and cider vinegar dressing for lunch. Thinking about dinner but am at a loss for what to cook. Needs to appeal to my non whole30 hubby and son too. Skipped the coffee loaded w creamer this am and had tea instead. It was fine but struggling w headache and blah feeling now. Think it's probably par for the course for day one changes. Looking forward to yummy dinner (whatever it may be) and good night rest.

How are you feeling today? Sometimes the headaches are also helped by increasing your water intake. I made the same change from loaded coffee to black decaf tea in September and haven't gone back. Oh, and I have a non Whole30 husband, too. But he always likes the food. Tonight was Chocolate Chile from "Well Fed" and he liked it.

Best wishes!

Mary

Hey everyone. Its day five and things were going great until this morning..,I think I'm coming down with a cold! My nose is dripping and sore throat, boo! Any advice to get over this cold quick? I'm not a joy to be around when I'm sick and having to work full time as a dental assistant. 

It hit me on day 3.5. In the morning I was full of energy packing away Christmas and doing errands. Totally deflated in the afternoon. Sore throat starting. I got a LOT of sleep, drank water and decaf tea through the day and 2 aspirins on Saturday night. Feeling better today, just not totally well. I sing and am hoping for full recovery by Wednesday night. Hope you shake your sore throat quickly. Have any Vitamin C to take?

Best wishes!

Mary

Try ginger and green tea. I've been drinking it every morning, since September when the kids went back to school,and not one sign of a cold all winter. Knock on wood.

Day 5. Family is really enjoying our (my) new dinners. I'm So surprised!! The middle son even brought W30 meal to work. I am doing well. Today I had more cabin fever then anything but ate whole. M1 pork chop, sauerkraut and apples. M2 hard boiled egg, 4 olives and tuna fish. M3 salmon, artichoke hearts with lemon, sweet potatoes and spinach.

Exercise was kickboxing and burpee/plank challenge.

Have a great night everyone.

Me! Me!

I have done two Whole30's in the past, and felt amazing both times. However, lately I feel like life has gotten the best of me and being busy has been an excuse for not eating well or working out. I am going to do my best to get back on track and do pretty strict Paleo for the next few weeks (most likely with the exception of Christmas day) and then go full-on Whole30 on January 1st!

Actually, I am hoping to do a Whole45, which will take me right up to Valentine's Day. Even longer, if I still feel good and want to continue it. I am getting married in March, work full-time, am in grad school - I noticed a big difference with managing stress while I was Whole30ing before, and want to be proactive about the craziness that is about to become my life this spring!

I'm nervous this time around because, since my last Whole30, I have started Crossfitting and have been relying on protein powders for post-WOD refuel. It's easy and convenient, but obviously out for Whole30. Any suggestions about an alternative?

My first Whole30 would have been a disaster without a group of ladies I met on this board - we formed a Facebook group and held each other accountable, checked in daily, shared recipes, etc. It was a LIFESAVER since I didn't have a real-life buddy to do it with. Anyone interested?

-Kim

I signed up for the Gold's Gym Challenge which runs to the beginning of April, so it looks like this will be a whole100 for me.  I went to go find a bikini for the "before" picture and my oh my I had no idea how much my body had fallen apart.  One year ago I was in my best shape in a decade.  Sad how quickly one deteriorates with a bit of slacking off.

I didn't cheat today but I did extremely poorly on the food in general.  Basically I drank black coffee before and during my morning workout, then bought a bag of sunflower seeds and ate them.  I had grilled zucchini and mexican braised beef for dinner.  Back on the plan tomorrow.

Hi everyone, I packed a picnic for the beach today. Great success as I had everything I needed in a cooler bag and wasn't tempted to buy any 'extras'.

By the way, if you get a chance and if they're available where you live, get your hands on a young green drinking coconut! The water if full of electolytes and the flesh is delicious. Just make sure you don't get carried away and eat the whole thing in one sitting...

HAPPY DAY 6!

I hope this 'quote' button works, I've never tried it...thanks for the feedback. I have, off an on, over the last year played around with this kind of eating, without the commitment to 30 days, no exceptions. The thing is, I don't want to quit riding while my body adjusts, and it can REALLY REALLY hurt to be 50 miles into a 100 mile ride and have your body more or less decide it's done for the day. What I've discovered:

- If I keep the carbs a little higher, esp. dense stuff like sweet potatoes (fruit honestly doesn't seem to help one way or the other. I think for me it's just junk food that should be avoided) I can easily ride 1-2 hours on water. I live in the mountains, so for me 2 hours = about 2,000 + feet of climbing/20-30ish miles. I can do this either on an empty stomach or after a big plate of scrambled eggs/veggie or (fill in the blank with your W30 breakfast of choice).

- What is difficult is finding a compliant way to get calories in that will sustain me past that point. I use raisins and almonds mostly. When not W30 I use a drink I really like from Hammer Nutrition called Perpetuam which has protein/carbs and works well.

- I also have a real issue with the whole dead legs thing if my overall carbs dip too low.

- I had to make a real mental adjustment that 'fat is good', but I think I'm getting there and starting to actually look for fat, instead of avoid it.

That's not very organized, but there you have it.

OK, quote button did not work. Evidently I am officially Forum Usage Challenged. I was trying to quote GFChris's response to my post yesterday....Since I'm editing this anyway:

Yesterday I did go for a mtn bike ride, not much for mileage, but pretty intense, up and down a canyon wall essentially. Just a little over an hour, so short duration. I felt great, after my sweet potato breakfast, steady energy and didn't feel so hungry that I could chew the door down afterwards. Meals were not ideal.

M1 sweet potato with lots of coconut oil/fat/whatever it's officially called and salt and cinnamon.

M2 2 cans of tuna, stir fried with more coconut oil, over a large plate of veggies

M3 Not really a meal. Munched on several oranges and several-many handfuls of nuts over the course of the evening. Not good, BUT am giving self a pat on the back because it's better than diving into a bag of chips while driving kids all over creation for basketball practice and running errands all evening...

Archived