Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Just checking in.... So far I feel like I am doing great.  On Day 3, I had a headache because I was going through caffeine and sugar withdrawals.  I know I can probably have black coffee (yuck).  I decided during the Whole30 program, I'll drink herbal loose leaf tea and it has worked out better, or I'll be tempted to drink coffee with the unhealthy creamer.  Not to mention, it has Carrageenan too.  

Since we started the Whole30 program, my concern was how was I going to resist temptation.  When I came to work, there's always food--- either in the form of chocolates, cookies, just lying around. If it's someone's birthday, then there's the Red Velvet Cake--which was my favorite.  On top of that, my coworker prepared pulled pork marinated in probably something with sugar, and they had some broccoli salad with dressing that has sugar and potato salad with mayonnaise.  I mean... I feel like I was surrounded with sugar daily and I never gave it much thought when I was under sugar's spell and it's because I would just eat them--without thinking.  All I felt that time was how delicious it was and how good it felt.  Now that I am aware of it, I consciously chose to eat good, quality food.  So far, this week has been going great.  

During day 1 and 2, I was only eating two meals and I understand we need to stick to three meals a day and my thought was if I was not hungry, I don't want to eat.  What I was doing was eating later, close to 12 and then eating again for dinner at around 7:30 to 8 pm.  I tweaked my meals to where I ate smaller portions and earlier than 11 am or 12 noon to stick with three meals a day.  Today, I ate three meals at breakfast in the morning, a lunch midday and dinner at around 6 or 7 pm.  I increased water consumption because coffee made me so dehydrated.  I also felt slightly dizzy today and noticed I was a bit more hungry and ate bigger portion for dinner.  I hope so far I am doing great.  I make sure I prepare my meals with the right amount of protein, vegetables, fats and some good seasonings.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to add... I also noticed today my allergy reaction got worse.  I sneezed more than I ever did before.  I am confused...  I don't think there was anything in my food that can cause allergy to act up?  Or it may just be the wind today.

Praxisproject.  Thank you for mentioning the salad cause I haven't had salad since day 1 and I prefer sauteed vegetables cooked in Cocounut oil and using some spices like malt vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, dried basil and oregano and whooo taste so delicious especially with coconut oil.

Praxisproject - I hear you! Thanks for permission to say farewell to salads (or at least only eat them when I really feel like it)! You'll be amazed at how many vegies we ate at dinner tonight - well I was! Here's the menu:

Oven Baked Pork Strips (ribs without the bone) – rubbed with Chinese five spice, garlic granules & paprika, covered with no added salt tomato paste (which is just concentrated tomatoes), and coconut aminos.

Baked zucchini, tomato, red capsicum, red onion, artichoke hearts with balsamic & olive oil

Sweet potato hash (from Nom Nom Paleo)

Kale chips (Mmmmm)

Finished off with sliced banana with flaked almonds & coconut flesh

Well, yesterday went better. No time to ride, but did get out for a brief walk.

M1 Kale and strawberry salad

M2 'deconstructed' burger x 2 over a green salad

M3 steamed broccoli and compliant spaghetti sauce with hamburger

No nuts or fruit as "meals" which is a big improvement.

I think the thing I appreciate most about this program is it's balance of clear parameters but no obsessiveness. Cyclists in particular and exercise junkies in general tend to get totally obsessive about body fat percentages, weight and food. For me at least, because of past issues, this is a dangerous direction to go. Yet having no food guidelines doesn't work for me either. "Intuitive eating" is all well and good for those with a history of a healthy relationship with food, but for those of us who have struggled with either being to restrictive or, on the other hand, basically junk food addicted, it doesn't work. If I ask myself what I "want" at any given time it will almost always be sugar. And having eaten something sugary, I don't want anything else but more sugar. There is no satiety point for me. For the past several years I've been slowly moving in the paleo direction, which has been good. But the more precise guidelines of the whole 30, plus forbidding weighing in, has been VERY VERY VERY helpful.

So I continue to try to eat closer to the "ideal template meals", but I will continue to be flexible with myself within the parameters of this program because I DO NOT want to be that 'athlete' who counts their almonds and can tell you down to the last calorie what they've eaten for the last 3 months.

Someone posted about emotional eating, and I totally relate to that. 98% of the time my poor eating choices are tied to trying to escape reality with food. Stress, procrastinating about stressful things, and er, more stress, will do it every time. So in addition to the eating stuff, I'm working on doing a better job of setting boundaries in my life (being honest and saying 'no' as needed) and finding non-food related ways to relax. I find that a LONG hot shower in the evening, when I think I just absolutely cannot last another second without something sweet to munch, is very helpful.

I'm going to experiment with the just fat and protein before exercise idea today. Not very hopeful but HEY-nothing to lose :)

Have a great day everyone! I read and enjoy all your posts!

Hey Chris, thanks for the feedback! Yep, I know all those things and will persevere in the right direction. Hey, who says I'm not an endurance athlete?! LOL, of course I'm not....will refrain from coconut water. :(

I have to say also that I'm SO satiated that I'm not even all that hungry when it comes to meal times. I have to force myself to eat breakfast. I suppose that's a good thing as it's stopped my snacking habbit knowing that when I eat my 3 fulfilling meals I won't need to eat in-between!

I'm very excited about how my mindset has changed in just a short space of time. I'm also very excited that I haven't had a glass of wine in 7 days (which prior to this would have been impossible)! :rolleyes:

Smoothie/Juice addict here in rehab.  It is so hard for me to pass on those, but I am doing it in lieu of lower inflamation, eliminate candida, e-coli and possible staph infection in my bladder post surgery trauma.  Those reasons keep me in check.  Afterward, I plan to do an ocassional smoothie, juice adding more veggies than fruits, so delicious!!!!

Day 3 here and feeling a little weak or weird...

M1- 2 scramble eggs w/broccoli and onions, BPC

M2- Ground turkey breast taco seasoned, w/peppers, garlic, onions - left over cauliflower rice

M3 - Pulled pork with veggies in the slow cooker, I left it cooking this morning - I can't wait to get home to that delicious smell.

Keep rocking peeps!

Day 3 here and feeling a little weak or weird...

M1- 2 scramble eggs w/broccoli and onions, BPC

M2- Ground turkey breast taco seasoned, w/peppers, garlic, onions - left over cauliflower rice

M3 - Pulled pork with veggies in the slow cooker, I left it cooking this morning - I can't wait to get home to that delicious smell.

Keep rocking peeps!

Try adding at least 1 more egg to your M1.  When eggs are your protein, the recommended portion is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's at least 3-4.

Make sure you're getting 1-3 cups of vegetables per meal.  Include at least one carb-dense vegetable daily to help with your energy. Potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips are among the options.

I have a piece of fruit and almond butter with ever meal is this to much

Possibly. Play with bumping the protein & veg a bit ... see what that does for satiety.  2 things: fruit/nuts can often "crowd out" protein/veg from your plate which is not ideal, and in a W30 fruit/nuts can also become "dessert" which may prevent some of the psychological reprogramming of the program --- i.e. feeding a craving or urge or habit.

I never gave it much thought when I was under sugar's spell

Great metaphor! I think that's really the case with most people. Got to "break that spell"!

eJyqCOr.gif

Hey guys, just wanted to check in. Have been posting in a smaller thread. Just plugging along, wishing I hadn't gone so far off track in December. Looking forward to getting back to feeling fantastic.

Hey Dem! It's nice to see you again!! December is already over so its just time to embrace the off-roading and get right back on track :) Its funny how the holiday spirit taps into your desire for holiday-esque foods. Dallas and Mellissa say that perhaps doing a whole30 during the holidays is not the easiest thing to accomplish, so look at all your positive choices instead of focusing on mistakes, and now you've got a whole new year to kick it up a notch!

Good luck and I can't wait to hear how fabulous you feel!

Hi Dem, welcome to this thread (it's fun)!!!

I'm not a big fan of social media, but for some reason I'm addicited to reading what you guys have to say and contributing myself - it makes me accountable too! So I guess you'll have to put up with me for these 30 days +.....sorry!

Nanny D, sorry to hear about your post surgery trauma, you certainly have a lot on your plate. I think eating this way will help heal your gut and settle the inflamation - very exciting for you!

Yes, I love a good liquid meal - I did a 3 day juice cleanse (not sure I recommend that), it sent me loopy! I couldn't concentrate and was tired and dopey, very difficult when you're at work...whereas on the Whole30 I have felt AMAZING most days :D which gives me confidence that I can actually do this!

Ok, off to make Nom Nom's sweet potato hash again for breakfast (we had it last night and it was sooooo good - cooked in duck fat) + poached eggs & asaparagus.

Have a good day everyone!

Hi all!  Day 7 and I'm feeling really upbeat today :D.  The boys had pizza last night since we didn't get home til late and I wasn't even tempted.  I had a salad with leftover roast beef instead.    Today, M1 was a cup of bone broth, M2 was leftover mahi mahi baked in garlic ghee with sweet potatoes and an avocado.  Tonight will be grilled chicken thighs on a bed of romaine with olive oil and sundried tomatoes, maybe some sautéed onions and mushrooms, too.  Still not eating enough non-starchy veggies but working on it.  I think I need to prepare my breakfast and lunch the night before because I don't have any extra time in the morning with all my chores before work.  I love cooked greens, but not cold.  Hmmm....

Update:  I hit the wall about 3 hours after I typed that.  I can barely hold my head up!  Right on cue.  Hoping to go to bed super early tonight, after cooking lots of w30 food :)

Well, I'm finished with Week 1 and it really wasn't too bad.  I stopped processed sugar as of 12/26 to give me a jump start and I think that helped make it not so drastic a change.  I am finding myself not hungry, which is great.  My only problem is breakfast.  I am vegetarian but have some fish and eggs, so for breakfast I have been having eggs because I can't think of anything else.  I like eggs, but I don't want to overdue them.  Any suggestions?

My only problem is breakfast.  I am vegetarian but have some fish and eggs, so for breakfast I have been having eggs because I can't think of anything else.  I like eggs, but I don't want to overdue them.  Any suggestions?

I have a vegetarian friend who I think would love to give Whole30 a try, but she doesn't eat fish so I'm hesitatant to introduce her to it. I'm wondering momofive where you get the bulk of your protein from (if not fish & eggs), or is that your staple? Legumes, dairy etc are out so it must be tough...

Love reading the posts, but not always good at posting :(

Today seemed tougher than the last few days, part of that may have been that lunch was too small. (I was running kids to appoinments and running errands so it kinda slipped my mind) I haven't found eating on program very hard, but cravings seem to be hitting today...what surprised me is how much I miss my morning coffee. Today every time I saw someone with a "fancy" coffee in their hands, I wanted to walk into the closest coffee shop and order! (Ok it did enter my mind to just grab the coffee out of the persons hand ;) ) I have tried a few teas but they haven't helped...

I am just finding this but I did start on January 1!!! I am joining my 27 year old "baby child" who is a lean, mean machine that's getting married in a few months!!! He wanted our FAMILY to do W30 but I am the only taker!!! I'm hoping to rock the beautiful dress I just got for his beautiful wedding in March!!!! It's been a week!!! No one I live with is on this but my oldest son, that I live with four days a week to take care of my grand daughters, has cooked my meals separately from his family's!!! It is awesome!!!!

I'm with LeaC, I enjoy reading everyone's posts, it's helpful and motivating.

M1 lg sweet potato

M2 2 lg bananas 2 apples, 2 handfuls of nuts

M3 spinach salad with ground beef and diced tomato "spaghetti sauce" over it.

Snack: handful of olives

This was too high carb for me. I don't feel sharp, kind of droopy. This morning, I decided to not follow the W30 advice of fat + protein before riding, and did the sweet potato thing. I don't think it was a good call on my part, but that's what this is about-learning what works. I rode an hour, lots of climbing. My legs weren't 'dead', but not much snap either. The sweet potato on an empty stomach made me almost sick-I'm not a big morning eater but when I do eat I like LOTS of protein-usually in the form of eggs. So, tomorrow I'm doing it by the book-protein and fat before riding, protein and carbs after. I have a big ride coming up and want to get this stuff figured out. My default onboard fuel is peanut m & m's-not an option right now!!

Tomorrow will be a long day- a morning full of meetings, coaching after school, then an evening meeting and my (many) kiddoes to get through homework and

to bed...so I'm psyching myself now, I'm NOT disappearing, I intend to be back here posting on Wednesday that I'm indeed still in the game :) Hope to see you all here as well!

Hang in there stravajunkie, we'll all be here when you're back.

I'm a little scared the 'clued up Whole30 peeps' will come down on you for M2 - fruit and nuts... :P ...anyway, as you say, it's all a learning curve!

PS: If anyone is after a foolproof recipe for kale chips, check out this blog http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/12/6-tips-for-flawless-kale-chips-all-dressed-kale-chips-recipe/  My sprinkle was made of crushed cashews, nutritional yeast, salt & paprika. I was interested to see if they would stay 'crisp' overnight and sure enough, they are still amazing!

I'm with LeaC, I enjoy reading everyone's posts, it's helpful and motivating.

M1 lg sweet potato

M2 2 lg bananas 2 apples, 2 handfuls of nuts

M3 spinach salad with ground beef and diced tomato "spaghetti sauce" over it.

Snack: handful of olives

This was too high carb for me. I don't feel sharp, kind of droopy.

Ok, I know you plan to change your pre and post WO meals, but in general, I encourage you to please eat more. I'm concerned you're underfeeding yourself.

There was little protein and fat today. (Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.)

Please give the best practices of Whole30 a shot. That means following the recommended template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of fat at every meal. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. Snacks, if needed, are recommended to be a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.

I truly feel these changes will help increase sharpness and alleviate the droopiness.

Well, I'm finished with Week 1 and it really wasn't too bad. I stopped processed sugar as of 12/26 to give me a jump start and I think that helped make it not so drastic a change. I am finding myself not hungry, which is great. My only problem is breakfast. I am vegetarian but have some fish and eggs, so for breakfast I have been having eggs because I can't think of anything else. I like eggs, but I don't want to overdue them. Any suggestions?

Hi Momofive. I am also vegetarian. I eat eggs, but no meat nor seafood. Have u found the vegetarian grocery list on the whole 30 forum? We can have yogurt, tofu, and some beans. Check it out. After I found that, I was so happy and it became much easier. I have been eating plain yogurt with fruit and sometimes nuts. Its a great breakfast, snack, or dessert. Also works for morning smoothies.

Hello Praxisproject,  Thank you for checking in with me.  Here are what I ate yesterday:

Meal 1:

Smaller portion 3/4 cup of sauteed vegetables in Lard, banana and couple cups of herbal tea

Meal 2:

Tea, and Pho broth with no noodles 1/2 cup (the Pho broth was from restaurant), lunch with a friend yesterday and this was the safest I can order from their menu.

Snack:

handful of cashews, 1/2 cup f beef and vegetable stew (co-op)

Meal 3:  

Ground beef and turkey with sauteed vegetables.

I used the same seasoning, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, oregano, basil and malt vinegar.  Is there anything I need to change.  I am also doing my best to drink lots of water.  

I thought about my favorite drink from the Thai Restaurant, that Thai Iced tea... oooo soooo goood and I took it off my mind right after, I made sure of it.  I wonder why the (my) brain naturally thinks of sugar.   :lol:

Archived