Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Hi All

I started on January 1st 2015....so it's now day 6 and it's going pretty well. I've stuck with it and not had any terrible cravings or withdrawal symptoms as of yet. Though the first weekend without my beloved red wine was a challenge!!! I've had 2 attempts at W30 before - May 2014 I got to day 18 and Sept 2014 I got to day 10. This time I am determined to do the whole 30 days!!!! My husband is supporting me by not drinking alcohol for January and having whole30 dinners (and weekend breakfasts/lunches)....he is up about an hour earlier than me on weekday mornings for work so his breakfasts and packed lunches are his own business!!!

I'm a 42 year old mum to two primary school children aged 5 & 7. I'm 5'5" and my weight on 1st Jan was 181 lbs which put me at a BMI of 30 (ie, just into the obese category). I'm pretty fit - I run and kickbox - and I had a health check a few months ago which confirmed that my BP, HR, Cholesterol & Blood Glucose are all in the very healthy category....but my waist measurement (36") and weight could put me at risk of various metabolic diseases. So, I'm doing this mainly to kick-start weight loss and to prevent future illness risk. I'm also hoping to improve my fitness, particularly running speed/endurance. I suffer from depression and anxiety so this is another area where I'm hoping for improvement. I'd like to get off my SSRIs after taking them for 5 years. I want to be in control of my body, mind & emotions.

Good Luck everyone!

Maria

Welcome Maria! You know what they say- 3rd time is a charm! I completed my first Whole 30 last September and was amazed at the emotional changes that went along with the physical. Just feeling overall happier and more positive, more in control of emotions- it's amazing what 30 days will do. Good luck!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 6 is going great...my only real goof up was not checking in here each day. I know I need the support and ideas from people who really understand the program. This is my first time trying the Whole 30. I have been struggling with my weight for awhile but have always been somewhat active (2 kids and three dogs will do that :) ) Unfortunately for the last few months I have been dealing with severe plantar fasciitis and just feeling overly run down. After seeing the Dr. they suspect I have fibromyalgia (I have to admit I kind of always thought they said that when they didn't know what was wrong) So I started the Whole30 in hopes of losing some weight to help my feet and also cutting out foods that might be making me feel worse. It hasn't been too hard yet, I had one minor slip up on Sun. but didn't let it be an excuse to go off plan the whole day.

Looking forweard to seeing some changes over the next month.

Hi Sandy,

My sister also contends with PF, and gave me some good advice when I started running. Freeze a plastic water bottle, then use it to roll out your arches. It's helped both of us- maybe it will help you as well. :)

Day 7: M1 2 hard boiled eggs & banana. M2 summer sausage & small halo orange also some coconut milk. M3 venison heart, boiled potatoes and mixed veggies.

Kickboxing was cancelled for tonight to cold -45, but hubby and I did burpees/ plank challenge.

Have a great night everyone!

leaC - There is a special plan for vegetarians who eat no meat, there's a section on the forum for it :)

Sheila - It possibly could have been the pho broth. Other potential allergens in there are the banana and cashews. Keep track of how you feel, if it's banana or cashews, you'll likely feel it again.

Kelly - Are you getting veggies for your M1 & M2? You'll need those for your burpees! :D

Please add me to the rooster :-) Thank you!

Can I be added to the roster too?  Thanks!

Ok, updated!

So keep rockin' it out ladies.  We are doing great.

Us guys are doing great too! ;)

I'm a little scared the 'clued up Whole30 peeps' will come down on you for M2 - fruit and nuts... :P

And the M1 too :D

WEEK TWO!!!

@SandyM @Jenn2011 I jacked up my plantar fascia in SEPTEMBER and am still walking with pain. :( I roll with a lacrosse ball and haven't done any sprinting since then, but it's persisting like a damn monkey on my back. :( I'm starting to wonder if I need to get night splints or something to help.

It's great to be on Day 8 and I am starting to feel the magic.  This is my first Whole 30.  Last evening I had some leftover ground beef chili in the refrigerator (Whole 30 compliant, of course) and decided to add some mashed sweet potato (left over from the Whole 30 salmon patty recipe which are delicious).  Not sure how it would taste, but it was fantastic.  And I had to go to my first social function today after starting and was able to order a Whole 30 compliant cobb salad - so feeling really proud and energized.  

When I had plantar fasciitis, what helped was standing on the ball of my foot on the edge of a stair facing backwards so my heel would hang off the front.  I would put as much weight on that foot as I could, letting my heel drop, to stretch it out.  Did that at least once a day for each foot.  Eventually the problem went away.

So glad to see my waist band isn't so tight the last couple days!  Something I was eating pre-w30 was causing bloat.  Looking forward to the weekend and doing lots of cooking.  My InstaPot arrived yesterday and it's going to get a workout :)

Day 8! Woohoo! I'm eating less and less fruit and more and more veggies. My breaky was a small bit of sausage, two eggs fried in a bit of sausage fat and chopped kale. Cup of black coffee. Yum I'm satisfied.

Starting Sunday, I'm really cutting back on the fruit (it will be gone/eaten by then). I'm finding fruit causes more cravings, esp with my SIBO/IBS issue. So just frozen blueberries allowed after Sunday.

In today's Daily (it's on day 7 as I started that a day late) they provided a nice check-in list: 

• I will be posting my meals in 'Your Whole30 Log' each day for accountability.
  • I will mark a big red X on my calendar for each day that passes.
  • I will do my best to get 8 hours of sleep each night.
  • I made a list of reasons to stick with the Whole30 and not give up. When I feel weak or tempted I will review this list!
  • I will exercise 3 times a week.

Posting meals happening still on myfitpal - just easier for me right now.

8 hours sleep - noooo problem

My list of reasons is in my head and it is quite long - SIBO/IBS healing, slooowly changing habits rather than setting unrealistic goals, drinking a lot more H2O with lemon, feeling BETTER already (aside from a bit of carbflu/cravings), cream/chocolate /cookies/ chips/grain/alcohol just NOT worth it - why work against myself?, I'm worth it, etc.

Exercising 5 - 6 times a week.

GHEEhaaa!

Update: still morning - I just ate a banana. I love bananas. They will be hard to give up. But I'm willing. One day at a time - not forever.

@SandyM @Jenn2011 I jacked up my plantar fascia in SEPTEMBER and am still walking with pain. :( I roll with a lacrosse ball and haven't done any sprinting since then, but it's persisting like a damn monkey on my back. :( I'm starting to wonder if I need to get night splints or something to help.

I ended up going to a foot doctor because the pain was so constant and severe. He told me to ice my feet but to also get the foot heating pads (from Costco) and put them in my shoes to help loosen everything up. I think it has helped a little...I also purchased Superfeet for my shoes, those have helped a lot :)

Good afternoon Friends!

Day 4 here, and a little hectic at the office and health wise but we got this!

M1- 3 scramble egss Eggs, w onions and garlic, 2 cups Green beens, BPC

M2 - Pork loin with a salad: lettuce, red peppers, avocado/lime juice, 1tsp EVOO, marine salt, pepper, 1 pear

M3 - Baked Sweet potato w/compliant sugar free bacon, ghee, cinnamon and pepper

I am not that hungry anymore, but I have a bug in my pee (e-coli), and some high protein in my urine, so not feeling my best. Urologist visit Monday and they changed the antibiotics today, because they were not working.  I will not get discouraged by this. I am stronger than this, and in order to be healthier, I need to persevere. This is not a diet, this is a life style. I said!!!!

Thanks to all of you for the support

Hi Sandy,

My sister also contends with PF, and gave me some good advice when I started running. Freeze a plastic water bottle, then use it to roll out your arches. It's helped both of us- maybe it will help you as well. :)

Thanks for the info Jenn...I know I should be doing that. It's just hard to convince myself to keep my feet on the ice. I like the heat better. ;)  But I know I need to do both. I was also told to get house shoes (not to go barefoot) have you heard that as well? I really don't like wearing shoes of any kind in the house but if it will make a difference I will give it a try.

I wish I understood what you (MartaK) mean by "feeling the magic"? Don't get me wrong I am excited and happy for everyone feeling and having positive effects by day 8. This is what I am feeling, like my brain is short circuiting. If you ever put your tongue on a nine volt battery, now imagine that feeling going off at different times and places in your head. It's very annoying. This is the second day of my short circuiting. Is any one else feeling this and how long does it last? Is this a detox feeling?

Ok on the lighter side of things. My husband and I had a great time and conversation at Applebee's for lunch today. We didn't talk about kids or work, how beautiful other conversation can be.

M1 just a banana and green tea w/ ginger. M2 Thai shrimp salad w/o peanut sauce and won tons, and black tea. M3 3 eggs with veggies and a hand full of mixed nuts.

Now off to bed. Good night.

I wish I understood what you (MartaK) mean by "feeling the magic"?  This is the second day of my short circuiting. Is any one else feeling this and how long does it last? Is this a detox feeling?

I too have a query to the Whole30 Aficionado's out there about 'symptoms'.

Whilst I have been "feeling the magic" most days and have noticed quite a few positive changes in my body already, I started to feel the familiar tingling sensation of a coldsore starting this morning (insert sad face here)...I'm wondering if that too is a detox symptom OR am I lacking in something OR is it just because I'm on holidays, eating well and my body is relaxing?

I resisted applying coldsore cream in the hope that it would go away on it's own accord so I'll monitor it for the time being (it seems to have subsided slightly in the last hour or so but I know its still there).

Thank you Praxisproject, I will watch for cashews, I did not have sneezing or allergy issues with banana.  Thank you everyone for your post as well.  Very informative, entertaining and I can certainly relate to what some of you are feeling.

I am on my day 6 today, though it really should be day 8 with some confusion... anyhow... I've had dreams about ferrero and lindt chocolates this week.  Since I began the W30, I'm consciously preparing my meals with no sugar ingredients of any sort, other than a banana a day.  

What was most interesting to me was I found myself (my brain) think about sweets and found this a fascinating observation with how wired /trained our brain was to eat sugar.

Day 9 done for me now, today's menu was:

M1 : coconut coffee, bacon & a poached egg, fry up in ghee of asparagus, onion, black olives, mushrooms, sauerkraut & pistachios, and a handful of diced watermelon & grapes.

M2 : leftover breakfast vegies & bacon, a meatball, kale chips & cherries

M3 : Tuna and Salmon Cakes with toasted pinenuts, kale chips, avocado & tomato.

And the usual new nightly ritual of mineral water with fresh lime juice.

I know I'm probably substituting this for my nightly wine habit but it has NIL negative side affects that I can tell. I had a fleeting moment whilst cooking dinner, of the thought of drinking a nice glass of wine. The thought was shortlived as I moved on and poured myself a glass of mineral water with lime & ice. Interestingly, I have quite a few bottles of alcohol left over from Xmas (and even a half full bottle of white wine in the fridge). Usually these wouldn't last long in my house, and I'm the only drinker! :o I'm so pleased that I have found the strength to ignore the 'empty calorie demons' - I feel a whole lot better, I can tell you.

If you're interested in the recipe I created for the fish cakes, here it is:

Tuna and Salmon Cakes

• In a fry pan, soften 1 finely diced onion in fat of choice (I chose duck fat)
  • Add the onion to a bowl of 1 mashed sweet potato, 1 egg, approx. 200gm/7oz canned tuna & 200gm/7oz canned salmon, salt & pepper, 2 tspn Dijon mustard fresh dill.
  • Mix together, roll into balls & coat in coconut flour
  • Flatten and shallow fry in fat until crispy & golden

All the best to everyone whether they are finishing or just beginning day 9...Leanne. xx

Kelly - You're not going to be feeling well if you're not eating all your food. That feeling is from not eating enough, it's not part of the Whole30. Do you have trouble eating protein and fats in the morning? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

leaC - Your chemist may be able to give you Lysene (it's an amino acid). This is a local brand (over the counter, like a vitamin), the page has some good info on coldsores and arginine: http://www.blackmores.com.au/products/lyp-sine 

Good morning! Back from the dead, er, day, yesterday....No exercise and an insane work schedule, but stuck with the eating.

M1 Couple bowls of chicken vegetable soup

M2 LARGE spinach/broccoli/beet/mushroom salad. Handful of almonds

M3 Large egg salad (i.e. finely chopped eggs) broccoli, tomato and olives

Snack dates and some grapes

Hopefully moving in the right direction regarding the meal template. I really do appreciate the feedback from you moderators/experienced people. I also started following whole 30 on instagram, which has been fun. I haven't been able to try any of the meal ideas but just seeing all the creativity is motivating.

Welcome to Maria! I also have a bunch of kiddoes. Kids can make this a special challenge, since it seems like where there are children, there are snacks, special events, etc. I am not having my kids do a whole 30 ( I think they'd fire me as a mommy) so although we eat pretty healthy, I find myself in situations like last night, at Pizza Hut with the team, confining myself to the (rather limp and bedraggled looking) salad bar....just another element of challenge, that's for sure. Best of luck with your whole 30! From my experience, even if it becomes a 'whole 10' or even a 'whole 5' due to some slip up, just dust yourself off, jump up and hop right back on the forum on your own day 1 again

. Don't give up! It take some of us more than one shot to get in the groove. My two cents at any rate.

just one more thought: for all the folks who are feeling crummy, or wondering when they'll start feeling better, there is an awesome 'whole 30 timeline' post on their blog... you can just google it. I found it/find it to be rather spot on, and it helps to know that it's normal to feel worse before you feel better, plus it pegs (in my opinion) some of the emotional roller coaster stuff too.

Day 9 done for me now, today's menu was:

M1 : coconut coffee, bacon & a poached egg, fry up in ghee of asparagus, onion, black olives, mushrooms, sauerkraut & pistachios, and a handful of diced watermelon & grapes.

M2 : leftover breakfast vegies & bacon, a meatball, kale chips & cherries

M3 : Tuna and Salmon Cakes with toasted pinenuts, kale chips, avocado & tomato.

And the usual new nightly ritual of mineral water with fresh lime juice.

I know I'm probably substituting this for my nightly wine habit but it has NIL negative side affects that I can tell. I had a fleeting moment whilst cooking dinner, of the thought of drinking a nice glass of wine. The thought was shortlived as I moved on and poured myself a glass of mineral water with lime & ice. Interestingly, I have quite a few bottles of alcohol left over from Xmas (and even a half full bottle of white wine in the fridge). Usually these wouldn't last long in my house, and I'm the only drinker! :o I'm so pleased that I have found the strength to ignore the 'empty calorie demons' - I feel a whole lot better, I can tell you.

If you're interested in the recipe I created for the fish cakes, here it is:

Tuna and Salmon Cakes

• In a fry pan, soften 1 finely diced onion in fat of choice (I chose duck fat)
  • Add the onion to a bowl of 1 mashed sweet potato, 1 egg, approx. 200gm/7oz canned tuna & 200gm/7oz canned salmon, salt & pepper, 2 tspn Dijon mustard fresh dill.
  • Mix together, roll into balls & coat in coconut flour
  • Flatten and shallow fry in fat until crispy & golden

All the best to everyone whether they are finishing or just beginning day 9...Leanne. xx

Good morning Peeps, LeaC, thanks for the recipe. I will do that for my meal 3 today :-)

M1 - BPC 2 Cups

M2 - Salmon, Avocado and steamed veggies

M3 - Tuna Cake or Croquette per LeaC recipe + Broccoli

Have a great Friday everyone!

Day 5 and staying strong.  I am starting to see and old (5 months) allergy in my face to start fading yay!!! I need the positive feedback. Appt on Monday w/urologist, not feeling that great in that area but in denial to give up and admit to feel bad. I am doing GREAT, I am in WONDERFUL Health!I am happy.

Have the best weekend.  School day for me tomorrow, so most likely will reconnect Sunday or next Monday.

Let's stay strong. We got this!

M1 - BPC 2 Cups

M2 - Salmon, Avocado and steamed veggies

M3 - Tuna Cake or Croquette per LeaC recipe + Broccoli

I started my very first Whole 30, 1 January 2015.  I quit sugar on the 26 of December and  I am looking forward to eating differently....Looking at it as lifestyle change not a diet.  Tired of eating junk and want to eat healthy.  My husband is on board but not as committed to it as me and that's ok.  If I could quit smoking in 2000, cold turkey and not cheat since, I can do this.  Just wish I would have done it sooner.

Archived