Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

I'm not eating late, usually around 6:00.  Any later than that and I get Hangry (Hungry=Angry) and my husband is always my victim.  

We used to eat again around 9:00 when we started to get hungry...but I've quit that and have started going to bed instead. :)

I'm pretty sure one or two....ummm...bathroom breaks will help me feel better.  Right now nothing is moving.

Yah I hear you. It's amazing how much dif an -er - successful bathroom break can make. :) 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9 Yay! OK so I'm recording my meals here starting today.  Also worked up a gooood sweat with an hour of intense cardio. That felt good.

M1 4 oz sausage, kale and baked apple with cinnamon

Snack after workout - handful almonds

M2 Big salad with bacon pieces, carrot, 3 figs, basil, walnuts, and of course lots of romaine lettuce. T olive oil and lemon. Banana.

M3 1.5 bowls bone broth with kale, a small tomato and basil in broth. Meat from bone also included and now digesting. Handful pistachios and frozen blueberries after. 

I ate my dinner at 7:30. Munched on nuts and blueberries 'till 8:20ish before even realizing what time it was. My new habit is no food after 8. Going on a walk now to natural foods store to p/u coconut oil, eggs, seltzer h2o. 

I feel really good - a little tired but for me, this process is leaving me feeling pretty darn clear headed and energetic - so much better than when I started. 

Hey all, I've been reading along but finally breaking the silence. Hubby and I are on day 9 (woo hoo!). I can definitely see why day 10 is the danger zone for leaving Whole30. The first 5 days I felt fantastic. The last 4... not so much. Lots of digestive distress. Trying to up the fats (I've been eating mostly lean meat, and was eating whole fat yogurt and peanut butter nearly everyday before now) and also adding some fermented foods. I'm also avoiding raw veggies. Husband feels fine (no magic yet though). I think things are getting better. Here are the last few days- please pitch in if you see something off:

Day 6

-Meal 1: Pork sausages with sautéed cabbage and grapes

-Meal 2: Salad with coconut chicken, cucumber, broccoli, snap peas, orange slices, and avocado lime OO dressing

-Meal 3: Turkey ginger cups (ground turkey, carrot, ginger, and celery cooked in coconut oil) with green pepper slices and olives

Day 7

-Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with pork sausage and carrot + parsnip mash

-Meal 2: Sautéed cabbage and meatloaf, and celery and grapes with sunbutter

-Meal 3: Roast turkey, butternut squash, carrot, Brussels sprouts, celery and onion

Day 8

-Meal 1: half a savory blueberry frittata with carrot and parsnip mash

-Meal 2: chicken piccatta and steamed broccoli and snap peas over spinach

-Meal 3: a total mishmash of leftovers of pretty much everything above

If things don't improve with these tweaks I cannot consider this sustainable for me for 3 more weeks.

Hubs is traveling all week next week (unplanned) and is so nervous about what to eat.

I want to come eat at your house! I am on day 10 and still having digestive issues. I completed my first successful whole30 in November and I didn't feel super great until the very end. I had attempted it a couple times before that too. It really does get better the more you do it.

Day 9 Yay! OK so I'm recording my meals here starting today.  Also worked up a gooood sweat with an hour of intense cardio. That felt good.

M1 4 oz sausage, kale and baked apple with cinnamon

Snack after workout - handful almonds

M2 Big salad with bacon pieces, carrot, 3 figs, basil, walnuts, and of course lots of romaine lettuce. T olive oil and lemon. Banana.

M3 1.5 bowls bone broth with kale, a small tomato and basil in broth. Meat from bone also included and now digesting. Handful pistachios and frozen blueberries after. 

I ate my dinner at 7:30. Munched on nuts and blueberries 'till 8:20ish before even realizing what time it was. My new habit is no food after 8. Going on a walk now to natural foods store to p/u coconut oil, eggs, seltzer h2o. 

I feel really good - a little tired but for me, this process is leaving me feeling pretty darn clear headed and energetic - so much better than when I started. 

Glad you're feeling good!

Overall, your meals are compliant and look ok. The couple tweaks I'd suggest, for best results, are as follows:

- post workout: drop the nuts.  The recommended post WO fuel is protein and carb, no fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. 

- M2:  be sure the bacon is compliant. Secondly, bacon is more of a fat than a protein on a Whole30, so I'd suggest adding another protein in the future.  That may help stave off the hunger pangs after dinner later on.

- M3: be sure the meat portion is at least 1 palm (length, width and thickness of your palm.)

Good morning!  We're almost 1/3 of the way done!!  I was so tempted last night to have wine and cheese, but the timeline reminded me that lots of people quit about now and I don't want to be one of them.  It didn't hurt that there's no wine in the house :)

Planning to spend the day (hopefully not all of it!) prepping food for the week.  I bought Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo cookbooks as well as the Instant Pot 7 in 1 pressure cooker (goodbye rice cooker and crockpot).  Hope to make a casserole for breakfasts, 5 hot plates, 3 complete meals and a soup.  Two goals: not spend hours in the kitchen every day, just once a week, and no food boredom.  Between the cooking and the dishes I feel like I lived in the kitchen last week!  Hopefully I have the fridge room for this.  I finally cleaned it out the other day - we had stuff in there dated 2010 and even the "healthy" dressings had bad oils.  This goes against the low histamine plan of not eating leftovers, but gotta choose the lesser evil - better to eat leftovers than go off-plan.

Also want to continue cleaning out cabinets.  I had already started sprouting my dried beans to feed to the ducks, goats & chickens before w30 as it was obvious we weren't going to eat them.  I had jars of beans that were almost 20 years old!  I hope they like quinoa cuz I have lots of that, too.

Have a great day, everyone!

Week One update of the Whole30:

Great first week so far.  I made the right food choices and enjoyed cooking my meals from fresh ingredients that are Paleo compliant.  This week some of my challenges were withdrawals... mostly from coffee and sugar.  I went through headache one day and dizziness the next couple of days and subsided later in the week.  I did thought about my coffee and having them with some creamer with lots of probably unhealthy fat and sugar... I was thinking one of those International Delight Brand kind of creamer.  I didn't have any this week, but they were on my mind.  I also had a dream about ferrero chocolates (I know... terrible isn't it?) I love both Lindt and Ferrero Chocolates!!  However, in spite of fantasizing about sweets and having dreams about them, I stuck to drinking tea and lots of water only.  

In the beginning of the program, I found myself only eating two meals per day, my reason was if I wasn't hungry, I don't want to eat.  However, the point of Whole30 is to have a balanced three meals a day.  I realized I was eating a slightly large portion on my meals and when I tweaked it to smaller portions, I was able to get satiated longer, for about 4 - 5 hours and then, eat.  I liked that better.  The meals I was preparing myself, though most are not from the recipes yet... are delicious.  My intent was to not be afraid to eat clean and to do my very best to consume lots more vegetables.  I have plenty of the ingredients that are Paleo compliant, and this week, I purchased Coconut Aminos.  It tasted so delicious with my Sauteed broccoli and beef last night.  Why should I ever use soy sauce again?

As part of the Whole30, I also took a break from wearing make-up.  I am one who doesn't really like to go out in public unless I wear a little make-up.  In addition to ditching the scale, creamer and sugars, I also ditched the make-up for the duration of the Whole30 Program.  I have some acne issues and I was curious if my skin would clear up as well.  I finished the Whole30 week 1 successfully and I intend to continue successfully in the program.

Glad you're feeling good!

Overall, your meals are compliant and look ok. The couple tweaks I'd suggest, for best results, are as follows:

- post workout: drop the nuts.  The recommended post WO fuel is protein and carb, no fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. 

- M2:  be sure the bacon is compliant. Secondly, bacon is more of a fat than a protein on a Whole30, so I'd suggest adding another protein in the future.  That may help stave off the hunger pangs after dinner later on.

- M3: be sure the meat portion is at least 1 palm (length, width and thickness of your palm.)

Thank you GF Chris!! I'll boil some eggs for a hbegg snack after workouts. Yes my bacon is fresh from an organic food market in the neighborhood - it's uncured and still very tasty.

However, I did feel hungry at around 10 and also still felt quite awake and energetic so I talked myself into having a couple handfuls of cashews, from which I immediately felt guilty afterwards. Gah! 

Sometimes when I'm feeling good, my ego gets overconfident and sways me into breaking my own rules. "Ah you deserve it," she says. "You can handle it. You've been working out. You need the calories. BLAH BLAH!" 

I'm setting a clear rule. Sunday - Thursday, no eating after 8. During the week, I'll keep my dinners fairly small because I work until 8ish - hb eggs, carrots/celery, a handful of nuts... and have my meat protein at lunch and breakfast.  

Friday eating after 8 is allowed IF and only IF I'm going out. And on Saturday, if I stay in or go out, I'll allow a Whole30 compliant treat 'till 10 cuz I might want to snack while watching a movie. And tonight I'll be going to a variety show with a friend (getting better at planning my weekends) and then we'll grab a bite after. So Saturdays I'll allow for a little more wiggle room.

I'm committing this for myself and think this is realistic. 

Also I just have to say, although I do feel on track with the timeline - I'm really missing yoghurt and still struggling with grazing at night (although much less), missing my chocolate, it's pretty amazing how taking out just the sugar, grain and dairy is making a BIG dif on how I feel in general during the day. Since about day 8, I'v been feeling so much better. Gheehaw!! 

Day 10: yay!!!!

My husband & I took a walk to our local cinema to see 'The Theory of Everything' this afternoon (it was AWESOME!!!). It's a lovely 45 minute walk through the countryside and along a river and so we had plenty of time to chat without being interrupted by our children (who were at their grandparents house making all sorts of interesting things out of Lego!). We chatted about the Whole 30 and the no booze thing (my hubby has given up booze in support but isn't doing Whole 30) and how good we are feeling after 10 days off the grog....we both have lots of motivation for doing this - mine is health, weight loss & taking control of my depression/anxiety whereas my husband just wants to give his liver a break and, being an accountant, has worked out that we spend about £200 a month on booze!!!! So cutting it out for January then cutting WAY back will help us save towards our 2 week holiday/vacation this summer. He even said that once January is over, he's going to do an 'monthly alcohol budget' which we have to stick to!!! The money thing didn't even cross my mind but he's using that focus to stick to his guns. As you can see, we are very different but motivation is all about what works for each individual.

Just thought I'd share that as I find our different perspectives interesting....

As part of the Whole30, I also took a break from wearing make-up.  I am one who doesn't really like to go out in public unless I wear a little make-up.  In addition to ditching the scale, creamer and sugars, I also ditched the make-up for the duration of the Whole30 Program.  I have some acne issues and I was curious if my skin would clear up as well.  I finished the Whole30 week 1 successfully and I intend to continue successfully in the program.

Sheila, I thought this was an interesting comment (not food/exercise related), and I completely get it! I've been on a longish Christmas/New Year break from work and go back to the rat-race tomorrow so I too have enjoyed being make-up free for about 3 weeks! :)

Yesterday afternoon/evening we entertained 2 friends and thier young daughter. We are usually all (except my hubby + of course the toddler) drinkers, but we were ALL drinking mineral water and lime juice which is quite a change for us. An enjoyable one nonetheless!

I snacked on celery & carrot sticks (no dip or chips), and pistachios.

Dinner was easy because I had the benefit of tailoring it to suit me. We had whole baked snapper with lemon & olives, prawns, BBQ steak & lamb chops + a "build your own salad" - not everything combined in the one salad bowl, so you could pick and choose the ingredients/dressing options. Dessert (sadly we had dessert), was fruit salad that the guests brought. I thoroughly enjoyed my bowl of 10 different fruits chopped up (delicious), but I know there was a lot of fructose consumed in that sitting. At least I opted out of the whipped cream or icecream!

Off to prepare for my work week now. Putting on a pot of chicken, to make stock, shredded chicken, soup. Baking up some more kale chips (can you consume too many kale chips I wonder???). Happy Day 11, I'll check in again before bed - Leanne xx

I haven't finished reading the Whole 30 book yet, so I was wondering if I need to start over if I missed part of my lunch yesterday? Had to run to the airport and when I got home I grabbed some cooked chicken and meant to throw together a salad, but I got to work on dinner for the kids and it completely slipped my mind to eat some veggies...so do I start over?

Actually, that's not an optimal choice, as the yolk in the egg is a fat.  A better post WO choice is chicken and sweet potato, for example.

Really ...  are you saying absolutely NO fat after workout? There's a ton of protein in egg yoke ... and egg is considered a high quality protein snack - so i'm not sure where you're coming from there. Also, fyi I can't eat yams/sweet potato.

Actually, that's not an optimal choice, as the yolk in the egg is a fat.  A better post WO choice is chicken and sweet potato, for example.

Is it more lean protein that is needed after a workout? Still wrapping my head around all of this :) So - like chicken and apple or just plain chicken? 

I haven't finished reading the Whole 30 book yet, so I was wondering if I need to start over if I missed part of my lunch yesterday? Had to run to the airport and when I got home I grabbed some cooked chicken and meant to throw together a salad, but I got to work on dinner for the kids and it completely slipped my mind to eat some veggies...so do I start over?

SandyM, I'm not an expert (obviously), but in my OPINION, this was just a little slip up! You're not seriously thinking of starting again are you? It's not like you accidently fell face first into a chocolate cake and ate some...with last night's dinner I forgot to add the green part of the salad to my plate - 'not starting again'!!! xx

Day 10!! Although, I did eat whole food. I was more like grazing. So grazing bacon, hard boiled egg, jicama, banana, hard boiled egg, little more jicama, turkey. M3. I made a turkey ginger stir fry. The meal was interesting to say the least, my husband was very supportive. On Monday I am going to the book store to get the Well Fed recipe book. I Really need to get more organized.

Welcome all new comers. It's really nice to read all the post.

Have a great night.

Really ... are you saying absolutely NO fat after workout? There's a ton of protein in egg yoke ... and egg is considered a high quality protein snack - so i'm not sure where you're coming from there. Also, fyi I can't eat yams/sweet potato.

Is it more lean protein that is needed after a workout? Still wrapping my head around all of this :) So - like chicken and apple or just plain chicken?

Egg yolk is fat on a Whole30. Egg white is protein.

And yes, the Whole30 post workout recommendation is lean protein and (veg) carb. No fat or fruit.

If you can't eat sweet potato or yam, have another carb-dense vegetable. Winter squash, white potatoes, carrots, beets, jicama, rutabaga and parsnips are among the choices.

Everyone talks about Jicama (which isn't such a well known food here in Australia). I thought I'd google it as I'd be interested in trying some, but found it is classified as a legume. How does it fit into Whole30?

• Administrators

The only reason you would have to restart would be if you ate something that is not in the plan. The meal template is a strong recommendation to ensure the most success....but eating chicken without veggies alongside is not a start-over situation.

• Administrators

Everyone talks about Jicama (which isn't such a well known food here in Australia). I thought I'd google it as I'd be interested in trying some, but found it is classified as a legume. How does it fit into Whole30?

Hey leaC, check this article that includes a statement from the Hartwigs.

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/12/10/2562/

OK, so I have a confession....I hate salad leaves! Thinking about sitting down to a bowl of garden harvest just makes me gag!

So, my compromise is to include huge handfuls of baby spinach (tasteless) to a variety of dishes ie: wilting it in a stove top or oven dish, OR by adding it to a smoothie. Yesterday and today I had a smoothie made from coconut cream, coconut water, frozen banana, cacao powder & heaps of baby spinach.

I know that smoothies aren't all that Whole30 compliant, but like stravajunkie, at least the food I'm eating is compliant and the occasional non-compliant way of eating surely won't throught the program off balance?!

Must find a way to include more vegies....I do love kale chips when they are freshly baked (they tend to go soggy after a day), so might whip up a batch of those.

Happy Day 7 everyone - Leanne xx

@LeaC - I hate salad leaves, too.  I make myself Greek Salads - onions, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, bell peppers, with a sqeeze of lemon.  No lettuce leaves for me.

Hah drtracyb - kindred spirits! I don't detest salad leaves, I just really have to be in the mood to have them or disguise them! I did wrap up a chicken mince stirfry with slivered almonds in a lettuce leaf (ala san choy bow), when my family was eating tacos - it was surprisingly deliciious because in my head I was eating san choy bow! ^_^

Archived