Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

@GFChris thanks for the suggestion, I'm feeling worlds better today, and had broccoli with dinner let night before I read your post, but I'll keep this in mind if the problem should return

@Dem come on over! I've been cooking up a storm and using pinterest a ton

So glad to be feeling better today, boundless energy, a great nights sleep, and finally back to my treadmill today. I'm so proud of my husband for still going strong too, he went out to watch the patriots game and all around him were scarfing up pizza. He came home to ask me to makesome sort Of faux pizza and I had to explain why that wouldn't jive with what we're trying to do. Had a pretty good discussion about what our food will look like after the whole30.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet that would be an interesting discussion. Funnily enough, this is the first whole30 I've done where I've told anyone in real life apart from hubby and one paleo friend that I'm doing it, so that's kind of weird, and interesting at the same time

Used the Instant Pot for dinner tonight and I'm in love.  Whole chicken cooked in 20 minutes, then I put it under the broiler for the 8 minutes it took to cook the collards (which take an hour to cook otherwise).  The chicken was super moist and they both tasted great.  Now the carcass is in the Instant Pot with veggies to make bone broth. 

leaC - I have seen it in Melbourne (jicama). Ours seem to have much more of a papery covering, like shedding garlic, than the photos I've seen online. Ours are kind of a bit lumpier looking too, not so apple shaped. I found it at an asian grocer, but I had to ask for it, I walked right on past it :)

Egg yolk is fat on a Whole30. Egg white is protein.

And yes, the Whole30 post workout recommendation is lean protein and (veg) carb. No fat or fruit.

If you can't eat sweet potato or yam, have another carb-dense vegetable. Winter squash, white potatoes, carrots, beets, jicama, rutabaga and parsnips are among the choices.

OK Thank you for the info, GFChris. And I meant to say egg white - not yoke. Gah!

I'll cook up some chicken or lean lamb and a squash for after workouts. Wow, this is great learning here. I used to workout and ingest nothing but a ton of water with electrolytes and sometimes an energy bar and/or some  almonds and maybe an apple. Now I'm dealing with gut issues - and I believe it's a blessing in disguise. 

End of day 11 for me and I'm feeling a little anxious because I'm back at work full time from tomorrow. I know the key to my success so far has been the time to prepare food, google recipes & cook up a storm. Lot's of prep work will be needed this week me thinks!

Today's menu was:

M1

2 fried eggs

2 rashers of bacon

Sautéed spinach in sesame oil & sesame seeds

Topped with kale chip sprinkle

2 strawberries

1 chunk of pineapple

M2

Chicken liver pate - http://paleoleap.com/simple-and-delicious-liver-pate-recipes/ (substitute balsamic for sherry & ghee for butter)

prawns

cucumber, celery, carrot sticks

beetroot

half avocado with lemon, salt & pepper

snack: handful of pistachios

kombucha

M3

Thai green curry chicken & cauliflower rice with almonds

2 dates

Somewhere between lunch and dinner I felt a bit flat & had a slightly upset stomach (which concerned me). What had I eaten that wasn't agreeing with me? The only thing a little different was the pate I made for lunch...anyway, I had a glass of ginger komgucha and it helped a little, but still not feeling 100%. Nothing a good night's sleep won't fix - that's if I get one. I sleep terribly and am hoping by the end of my 30 days that this is resolved to a degree.

Night night everyone!

@GFChris thanks for the suggestion, I'm feeling worlds better today, and had broccoli with dinner let night before I read your post, but I'll keep this in mind if the problem should return

@Dem come on over! I've been cooking up a storm and using pinterest a ton

So glad to be feeling better today, boundless energy, a great nights sleep, and finally back to my treadmill today. I'm so proud of my husband for still going strong too, he went out to watch the patriots game and all around him were scarfing up pizza. He came home to ask me to makesome sort Of faux pizza and I had to explain why that wouldn't jive with what we're trying to do. Had a pretty good discussion about what our food will look like after the whole30.

I will definitely be spending more time here!

For your pizza fix, you might try this: http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/ or this: http://everydaypaleo.com/cooking-demo-breakfast-paleo-pizza/. Just a little pizza flavor without the yucky stuff!

I went for a walk yesterday. First time in a couple months. It has been super cold but I also haven't been looking for the opportunity. It felt great!

Well, food prep didn't happen yesterday, but the kitchen is clean and organized.  As the peeps who know what they're doing in the kitchen say, mise en place!  I was very pooped out yesterday afternoon after a walk with hubby - hadn't realized just how incredibly out of shape I am after almost a year of really bad asthma.  It's much much better after just 10 days of w30 - happy me!!  I took a nap in the sun, now my favorite weekend thing to do, but really could have slept the entire afternoon.  Then stayed up past midnight - brilliant.  As soon as I get my morning chores done I'm off to Natural Grocers to stock up for the week, then chop chop chop!

Hope I follow the timeline and have boundless energy starting tomorrow - that would be so wonderful!

Have a great day, everybody!

OK today is day I'm cutting out most fruits as with SIBO, fruit is an issue. I tried keeping it in because I love bananas, apples and frozen berries, but I feel sloggy bloaty in my gut when I eat them. So eliminating and reintroducing after Feb.

Also have been experiencing issues with cashews and pistachios - I think because I can't eat those without grazing and when I graze, again sloggy bloaty gut.

So cutting out nuts except for just a few almonds or walnuts on salads. 

Snacks will now be: prepped carrots, celery, broccoli, hb eggs, salted chicken meat, pepperoni chips, mushrooms sauteed in c-oil,  guac guac guac, cauliflower rice, romaine lettuce (I LOVE lettuce and like a bunny can munch on the leaves no prob), steamed spinach/kale with a bit of bacon. Prepping today (sunday).

Also have some bone broth already made for the first few days of this week. 

Making crustless spinach, bacon egg tart later this aft.

Need to get chicken today and will brine and bake chicken tonight. 

Main issue this wk is prepping dinners to eat during work so that I don't come home ravenous and chow hugely after 8 p.m. Plan to eat no later than 7:30 this week and since this will be quite a challenge, I will report here every evening when I get home to keep on track.

Allowed after 8 pm: Lemon or herb tea, a few sticks of julienned celery, one hb egg if hunger pangs are really bothersome.

Moving forward with more clarity and resolve. 

bronnyd, I've had to cut out nuts and fruit too. The hardest part is wanting to chew on something while I'm at work and those are easy to grab.

drtracy, sorry to hear you have to start over, but I guess that's the same as extending it beyond 30 days.  Hopefully the dairy didn't trigger any cravings.

Right now I'm pretty stoked to find that my belly was mostly bloat and it's much much better already!  Gives me motivation to keep going.

Finally got back from grocery shopping and time to start chopping :)

Such a wonderfully rich day today with friends D & S!

We walked in a nature conservancy outside of town and we saw two huge eagles and a hawk just hovered in the breeze right in front of us about a foot above our heads! I wish I took pics. And we all talked about the Wizard of Oz and S deemed herself to be Oz and handed me my c-c-courage and D her heart and said "You had it all along and didn't know it!" whereupon D and I said "and you're truly a wizard and didn't know it!"

And I thought that was appropriate to share here because sometimes we need heart and courage we don't think we have to continue. And sometimes we need to be wizards and make miracles because otherwise, it just ain't gonna happen.

D offered several chewy Lara and nut bars along the way and I said no thank you but man was it tempting. That was a small miracle.

It's 7:50 and I'm done eating for the day. My meals were:

1. Sausage with basil and two fried eggs, coffee with c-nut oil

2. Bone broth with chopped kale blanched in the broth. Romaine lettuce salad with basil, carrot, hb egg, bacon

3. Bacon and eggs with 1/2 avo.

I also ate another couple handfuls of pistachios. Couldn't keep myself away. Must give rest to housemates now. Didn't graze on them though.

I cooked for the next couple days - stuffed peppers with lamb, eggplant, garlic, cinnamon, tomato, basil and just a few pieces of date rolls pressed in the top. YUM!

Feeling quite satiated. Tea now. Thank you!

Several hours later, I'm worn out from cooking, and didn't get nearly as far as I'd hoped.  Sauteed onions, cooked sweet potatoes, 1 chicken, grilled several pounds of chicken thighs, cooked 1 butternut squash, 2 spaghetti squashes, sliced 2 large containers of mushrooms, lightly steamed 4 heads of swiss chard, and cooked dinner.  Was hoping to also make sauces and a few complete meals.   Well, it's a start and I can only get faster, right?  Hoping we can eat our dinners before 9 this week :)

I'm actually in three challenges at the moment - Biggest Loser at work ends in April, Gold's Gym Challenge also ends in April, so my whole30 will end up being about a whole100 anyway.  Today is back to Day 1.

Did a bit of a cookup with my Instant Pot today.  I roasted some chicken thighs in the oven over some carrots and some white potatoes.  Made two batches of chicken stock/bone broth with the bones.  Then made Rogan Josh (Lamb curry) - Well Fed - in the Intant Pot.  I still have kalua pork in the freezer from last week's cookup.  Trader Joe's has bags of shredded cabbage that I braised in a little chicken broth.

M1 was sauteed mushrooms and scrambled eggs.  M2 was roast chicken with carrots! and white potatoes.  M3 is carnitas with braised cabbage.  Had some grapefruit mid-day.  Had some coffee with almond milk before starting my graveyard shift.  No exercise today or yesterday.  :-(

There's a partially-eaten pizza sitting out at work tonight.  Not tempted.

Day 11: M1 last nights left over turkey stir fry and black tea. M2 3 hard boiled eggs. M3 turkey soup and coconut milk. My exercise was working on the farm today. I am needed on Tuesday also, so excited. I love those horses!

My head is getting much better. I just realized today I am not as bloated as usual. That feels so good!

I can't believe how much food has sugar. Is sugar being used as a perversitive?

Feeling better, stronger and more confident!

Have a great night.

I'm kind of gutted to learn that I thought I had been doing a Whole30 and been very careful to be fully compliant and realise that the "yoghurt"  I am using (made with coconut cream/milk) has stevia in it.  So I actually haven't even started my Whole30.  Will have to start again, but will have to leave it until after half ironman next weekend just in case there are any adverse reactions!  I do read the ingredient lists on stuff all the time, but somehow missed the fine print on the Coyo! 

Hi all... yesterdays meals:

M1: eggs and almonds

M1: (long ride-4 hours, 5,000 ft. climbing. TONS of almonds/raisins/cashews/dates/larabars/almond butter etc.)

M3: Brisket and lg. veggie salad, apple sauce

Bronnyd, I hear you on the fruit thing. Dried fruit and nuts (outside of ride fuel) are food with no brakes for me. I don't even keep roasted nuts around the house now, because I munch on the CONSTANLY-during meal prep, when I need some 'energy'....etc.  

Today is day 10 for me. I think this is the furthest I've made it on previous W30 attempts. SO: Taking my determination in both hands-going to keep on keeping on. Posting here, and reading everyone else's posts, on this forum and others is very helpful so THANKS to everyone!

My big goal, with the helpful prodding from the moderators here, is to get closer to template meals, and not make a large bowl of fruit and whatever else happens to be lying around a 'meal'. I do notice that I feel better energy the closer I am to the ideal meal, and when I munch on higher carb stuff, or even do a sweet potato straight up, with nothing else, the sugar hits my system fast and makes me sleepy. So I'm telling myself, despite being a sugar addict, that it's STUPID to make my own life miserable this way-as if there aren't enough other things that make my days challenging, without making myself tired and groggy.

Best of luck this week to everybody!!

Phew!  I made it through the weekend without caving in to any temptations.  

I went shoping and stocked up on all the groceries needed for this weeks meal plan that I have made up.  And you know what?  It didn't cost as much as I thought it was going to be.  A lot of people complain that buying grass fed and organic makes a huge dent in their wallet.  But when you're not buying Kraft Dinner, Frozen Meals, Preserved Crap, Sugar Loaded Treats, Bread, Dairy....  The costs evens out.  

Several hours later, I'm worn out from cooking, and didn't get nearly as far as I'd hoped.  Sauteed onions, cooked sweet potatoes, 1 chicken, grilled several pounds of chicken thighs, cooked 1 butternut squash, 2 spaghetti squashes, sliced 2 large containers of mushrooms, lightly steamed 4 heads of swiss chard, and cooked dinner.  Was hoping to also make sauces and a few complete meals.   Well, it's a start and I can only get faster, right?  Hoping we can eat our dinners before 9 this week  :)

Wow SuzeEG that sounds like a lot to me! Good start anyway. Thanks for sharing - it's inspiring to me because last night I cooled two stuffed peppers and that seemed like a lot to me. But I wanted to also get some chicken brined and chop lettuce ahead of time for salads. Still getting used to cooking in bulk.

Yes we can only get faster - build better habits. :) 

Stravajunkie - Thank you for sharing your issues with those nuts and dried fruits munchies as well.

Hah - just realized the strength in one word - munchies. Munchies = munchmunchmunchetc. I will remove all munchies! That's not much anymore on day 12 of Whole 30. The unpopped popcorn is ok to stay as I only munch on popped popcorn and am not going to go through the extra step of popping popcorn to break a very good streak I'm currently on.

I will keep all food I can munch on that I don't consider to be munchies. ;)

Day 12: Yippee!!! Made it through the weekend without caving! My red wine cravings haven't totally gone yet but they aren't as crazy as they were the first weekend. As I've mentioned before, I'm not having trouble with the sugar dragon....my nemesis is the booze beast!

Anyway, my energy levels are pretty good - I did a hard-core 3 hour cross country hike yesterday battling strong headwinds, hills, bogs & streams....and my 3 times a week runs have gone from 30 to 45 minutes. I'm getting through an hour of kickboxing each week without any problems and I've upped my weekly swim to 40 rather than 30 minutes. Feeling pretty darn good!!!! I'm having plenty of root veggies, including a couple of servings of white potatoes per week. These really help with my ability to up the exercise and of course, the protein helps to replenish the muscles. And the fat....well, that makes everything taste better!

I used to be all about the carb loading (mainly huge bowls of pasta) for my running (I've done a Marathon, 2 half-Marathons and a few 10Ks) but I've suffered injuries, lost fitness and gained weight in the last few years whilst battling depression/anxiety/stress and the accompanying comfort eating/self-medicating drinking. I now know that eating clean good food won't affect my running and I don't need Yeti sized portions of spaghetti to run.

Also, this morning I dealt with a difficult conversation (I won't go into the details but I have not spoken to this person for about 3 months because of a serious situation that she caused through her inappropriate behaviour) without shouting, swearing, crying, being sarcastic or back-tracking. I simply listened to the other person and responded honestly, calmly and with conviction to let her know that I do not want her in my life. Normally, this type of situation would see me working my way through piles of junk food and booze....but no....I just went for my run and had the healthy lunch I'd planned!!! So, that's progress, eh?

How's everyone else doing?

• Moderators

Are larabars ok on whole 30? If yes, maybe will allow one or two during the week... Must stay clear about it though, that's key.

Larabars, as long as the ingredients are compliant, are Whole30 compliant but for emergency use only. However, I can tell you from personal experience, you will be much better off not having them. If you are hungry between meals and need something, try to have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies. Larabars will keep your sugar dragon going strong. If I eat one, I crave more and more of them. I cannot keep them in the house or my brain convinces me that "I don't feel like cooking" is an emergency worthy of having one.

Here's the official word on Larabars from the Can I Have list:

Larabars: Read your labels, and use with caution

Most (but not all) varieties of Larabars are acceptable during your Whole30, so read your labels. (The Peanut Butter and Jelly bar is out for obvious reasons.)

Tip: We recommend using Larabars as emergency snacks, or fuel during endurance athletics. They’re as close to candy as you can get on the Whole30 (with dates as a binder), so don’t use them to satisfy sugar cravings. Your brain doesn’t know the difference between a Snickers bar and a Larabar!

Archived