Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Forgot to post yesterdays meals:

M1 ~ eggs, red pepper, 1/2 avocado with 1/4 apple

M2 ~ 2 turkey patties (homemade), big salad with tomatoes, cucumber and on plan dressing

M3 ~ Kalua Pig with brussel sprouts and small amount of yam

My only big craving is for a "fancy" coffee drink that I had a lot :(

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! This is my first post and my first W30. Each evening I look forward to reading all your posts and getting ideas but do not contribute anything to the convo......then people started saying there were fewer posts so I thought well I should probably start contributing. I am enjoying the food, I feel full, I am sleeping well, and just today it occurred to me that I seemed to have more energy and a happier demeanor...........all these things are WONDERFUL and very WORTHWHILE! However my nose will surely grow if I pretend that I am not secretly praying for substantial weight loss too. The batteries to our bathroom scale coincidentally died recently so I am forced to follow the no-weighing rule. And I am honestly glad for that b/c I want to trust the process and not be sidetracked by an undesirable number....dead batteries takes away the option and at least for now that is a good thing! So yeah, I'm feeling good, staying on plan, and trying to break old habits, and embrace a brand new lifestyle. Keep up the good work everyone!

Hello All!

I have not posted anything yet but I will tell you I am loving this Whole30 experience! The hardest was giving up my wine. But the longer this goes on the less I miss it. I am looking forward to enjoying a glass or 2 at the end of this.

I bought both Well Fed cookbooks and they have been very helpful to say the least. So many great recipes and helpful information to get organized. I also appreciate reading all the post. I have learned so much from all of you. Thank you.

Have a great evening or day depending on what side of the globe you live on! Keep on Whole30ing!

Sheila, I thought this was an interesting comment (not food/exercise related), and I completely get it! I've been on a longish Christmas/New Year break from work and go back to the rat-race tomorrow so I too have enjoyed being make-up free for about 3 weeks! :)

Yesterday afternoon/evening we entertained 2 friends and thier young daughter. We are usually all (except my hubby + of course the toddler) drinkers, but we were ALL drinking mineral water and lime juice which is quite a change for us. An enjoyable one nonetheless!

I snacked on celery & carrot sticks (no dip or chips), and pistachios.

Dinner was easy because I had the benefit of tailoring it to suit me. We had whole baked snapper with lemon & olives, prawns, BBQ steak & lamb chops + a "build your own salad" - not everything combined in the one salad bowl, so you could pick and choose the ingredients/dressing options. Dessert (sadly we had dessert), was fruit salad that the guests brought. I thoroughly enjoyed my bowl of 10 different fruits chopped up (delicious), but I know there was a lot of fructose consumed in that sitting. At least I opted out of the whipped cream or icecream!

Off to prepare for my work week now. Putting on a pot of chicken, to make stock, shredded chicken, soup. Baking up some more kale chips (can you consume too many kale chips I wonder???). Happy Day 11, I'll check in again before bed - Leanne xx

Hi LeaC,

Thank you for your post.  I love that you enjoyed a really healthy meal with friends and family.  Perhaps, they will join you in doing the Whole30 or you can be their guide in getting on board with eating clean.  Yes, about the make-up, I notice my skin start to clear up, feels softer and more light.  Before, I notice I have red cheeks or redness on my face (maybe a sign of something not healthy).  Whatever I ate in the last 10 days helped to begin to calm my system down.

I think fruits are okay to consume, yes?  I love all kinds of nuts and we have a lot of jicamas in our country, didn't know it was healthy for us.  

The Kale vegetable, wasn't my favorite in the beginning, but as Kale chips, yes, I can eat a lot of those.  

Yesterday, my boss read the information about the Whole30 on the website and she said after some time reading about what the program entails, she had to go eat chocolates.... LOL!  You have a great Week 2 or week 3.  I am a few days behind from folks who began January 1.

@LeaC -The sausage recipe as promised, I rolled into 12 balls, squished and baked them in my muffin tin (hey it's not doing anything else right now), and they were the perfect little sausage patties for breakfast or to break up to add flavor to something. I'll be making more this weekend.

I have to say I am *so excited* by the discovery I made today. I accidentally happened upon a company store right around the corner from my work. I went on lunch today and they had local organic poultry, local grass fed beef, and so much more. I never knew it was there, this is such an awesome find! I wish that I could afford to do all of our shopping there, but I will do bit by bit each week to support them and improve our food. This week I am looking forward to making bone broth for the first time, since there was no way I was going to make it with the factory farmed chickens. Wish me luck!

Oh my gosh whole30'ers. I actually woke up happy this morning. I can't believe it. Normally, I wake up neutral, you know same thing, different day.

M1, 3 eggs and strawberries and blueberries, and half an avocado.

Snack, hard boiled egg.

M2 last nights left over turkey,tomatoe, onion fry.

M3, Fiesta Pork Chops (Well Fed), sweet potatoes and green beans.

My husband loved tonight's meal and so happy to eat whole30 for meals.

Have a great night!

Welcome Fitboymom and Doing it! I find that having this cyber community really really helps. 

Every day I ask my self "Bronnyd, who are you doing this for?" just to keep me aware that this is for me, my health and well being, damn it. 

So there. 

This whole Whole 30 process is big learning for me. I am getting more clear on what works for me re timing, grazing, munching, fruits/starch, etc. 

Tonight I got home early (7) so cooked my dinner and just finished it. It's 7:50. I'm realizing that if I draw a soft line between 7:30 & 8 for my last meal, I'll be ok. I still have that desire to grab a "few just a few, aw come on you can handle it, just one handful..." of nuts. WHO are you doing this for, Bronnyd?

And who are you trying to kid?? I'll have a piece of uncured salami instead.

I ate well today. Feel satiated, no snacking temptations until... NOW. I really really want some cashews or pistachios. It's so strong it's almost as if my body NEEDS them. So I'm just going to sit with this, like sitting with a little three-year-old who is having a bit of a tantrum. Eventually, she'll quiet down and start sucking her thumb. Hopefully, quieting down will be enough for me. 

I'm done eating for the day. It is now 8. :)

M1 small patty sausage, two eggs, 1 c bone broth, coffee with T c-oil

M2 small kale sal with hb egg, abt 2 Ts bacon, 1/3 cup carrot, 1/4 cup cashews, T oo and lemon. 1/2 stuffed yellow pepper with lamb. 

M3 1 c bone broth in thawed veggie beet soup, about 2 oz sauteed lamb with the last bit of sausage and two baby broccoli sprigs. YUM

Still feel a bit groggy but better than yesterday. I'm supposed to cook tonight - brine chicken (finally), and silky ginger zucchini soup but I'm going to wait until this three-year-old stops throwing her tantrum. I'll read more posts on Whole 30. :)

One more thing (I know my posts tend to run long so thank you for bearing with me). My tummy is smaller! and I don't feel that horrendous bloaty gassy blobby gloopy feeling at the end of the day! I bet it's partly due to stopping eating at 7:30ish and big time due to cutting out sugar, grain and fruit. Wooohoooo! 

Inner three-year-old has quieted down now... think I can try cooking tonight.

Hi all, thank you so much for your funny, heartfelt and inspiring posts. I've been reading but not contributing but yes, I totally should be posting and be a more active part of this community too!

It's day 13 for me, and my 3rd day back in the office after the holiday break. The first week of this w30 I found physically hard (headaches, tired, bloating, etc) but mentally I was great. Now it's the opposite - physically I'm fine, with a clear head, good energy, and generally some of that w30 "magic". But dear lord I've clawed my way through some points over the last couple of days. I think it's being back in the office - lots of baking (including some gluten-free cupcakes made especially for me), chocolates, a giant bowl of lollies on the desk behind me. Gah!! Today I shut the sugar dragon down temporarily with a handful of nuts, and now I'm home and able to think more clearly without the baking shouting in my ears, I'll ask my colleague nicely to shift the lolly bowl away from my desk a bit. People do know I'm doing the w30, and most are really supportive, but I don't expect a whole office full of people to change their habits because of something I'm doing.

Sorry for the sugar rant! Clearly this is a Thing for me, and I guess I just need to get it off my chest because of course I'm not going down in a haze of sugar halfway through the programme!

Hi everyone and thank you for all your sausage related feedback - how funny!!!

So I don't feel like I am having any big changes, but I feel better knowing what I'm eating is so much better for me...wish the kids were willing to try it out right now because this making meals for them, then for me and hubby, then cleaning up double dishes (multiple times a day) is getting kinda old. I think I will try and make some Ghee this afternoon and ask the kids what they are making for their dinner tonight... I know I am having leftovers. ;)

Sandy M, I get it - the double/triple meals for everyone x washing up! I mentioned earlier that I find it helpful cooking my Whole30 meal and just adapting it to meat the tastes of the other family members (you're actually putting yourself first that way)! By the way, I was also going to make ghee but when I thought about purchasing all that butter and throwing out half of it (the milk solids) then the prep work involved, the cost of buying it ready made was a much more sensible idea - similar in price too!

Hi! This is my first post and my first W30. Each evening I look forward to reading all your posts and getting ideas but do not contribute anything to the convo......then people started saying there were fewer posts so I thought well I should probably start contributing.

Hey there fit_boymom - great to meet you! You'll find it's more fun (and makes you more accountable) if you join in the conversation with all of us...we're crazy (especially kirkor  - makes me laugh)!

Hello All!

I have not posted anything yet but I will tell you I am loving this Whole30 experience! The hardest was giving up my wine. But the longer this goes on the less I miss it. I am looking forward to enjoying a glass or 2 at the end of this.

Hi Doing it! kirkor found some amazing 'wino' emojis after I went on a bit of a 'missing my wine' rant. Welcome to AA - it works a treat! I haven't had a drop obviously in 14 days now. Cheers!

Hi LeaC,

Thank you for your post.  I love that you enjoyed a really healthy meal with friends and family.  Perhaps, they will join you in doing the Whole30 or you can be their guide in getting on board with eating clean.  Yes, about the make-up, I notice my skin start to clear up, feels softer and more light.  Before, I notice I have red cheeks or redness on my face (maybe a sign of something not healthy).  Whatever I ate in the last 10 days helped to begin to calm my system down.

SheilaT - thanks for the support! Back at work now and tonnes of make-up. Luckily my insides are getting a clean out! :D

Today was interesting, for work a group of us volunteered at Foodbank in Wetherill Park, Sydney. I know Foodbank operates all around the world, they save food that would have gone to waste and used as landfil, and ensure it gets re-distributed to those in need. Felt good helping the community AND whilst my team sat on their morning tea break eating pies & hot food from the snack truck, I munched away on my kale chips, nuts & fruit, whilst sipping my gorgeous homemade apple iced tea.

Being back at work is proving a challenge as far as meal ideas go, it's hard to get inspired when you're focused on other things all day. Shall have to think of some inventive non-sausage meal ideas for tomorrow - ciao!

Leanne.

@LeaC -The sausage recipe as promised, I rolled into 12 balls, squished and baked them in my muffin tin (hey it's not doing anything else right now), and they were the perfect little sausage patties for breakfast or to break up to add flavor to something. I'll be making more this weekend.

I made this breakfast sausage recipe on the weekend.  Just a note, there is a LOT of sage and thyme in it. If I can make a suggestion, start off with measuring half of the sage and thyme recommended (The other spice measurements are ok) and add some garlic.

Mix it all up and pan fry a small patty to taste test.  Add more seasoning to the raw batch for your preferred taste.

Good morning....

Not a banner day for me yesterday, but another day, and that's something.

M1 2 lg handfuls of almonds

M2 lg salad with chicken, avocado, olives

M3 Cauliflower and a whole avocado

Then...my kids baked a huge pan of the most amazing cream cheese chocolate cookie bars-oh my word, the smell! And I LOVE choc. chip cookies anyway. I didn't have any, but I was feeling so sorry for myself that I had multiple handfuls of dried peaches from the freezer. Way too much. BUT-I didn't faceplant into the dessert, which is something of an accomplishment in my world.

My big goal is going to be to WAIT to start eating till I'm sitting down to the meal. That's part of the reason my meals aren't very well rounded. Last night, I got home late, with a carload of cranky kids, no dinner started yet and a thousand things to do, plus STARVING. So I sliced and ate the avocado while I was prepping dinner. By the time dinner came around I wasn't hungry for much-thus the odd combination of just adding some cauliflower. I can wait, it's just a very bad, very long standing habit.

So today, we begin again on the template meal goal. Thanks for the tough love :)

So I don't feel like I am having any big changes, but I feel better knowing what I'm eating is so much better for me...wish the kids were willing to try it out right now because this making meals for them, then for me and hubby, then cleaning up double dishes (multiple times a day) is getting kinda old. I think I will try and make some Ghee this afternoon and ask the kids what they are making for their dinner tonight... I know I am having leftovers. ;)

Sandy, yes, such a pain! I like to make a meat that we can all eat and then 3 or 4 sides that everyone can choose from. That helps a little bit with the dishes.

I am still here and cruising. Felt a little urge to eat junk yesterday because I was stressed out, but the cravings weren't too bad and I managed to make it through the day. I am feeling really good about my eating. I have much better success when I don't rely on fruit (fresh or dried). I have been saving my larabars for true emergencies, and just passing up on the fruit at mealtimes. Puts the sugar dragon to sleep much faster. I tried a whole30 in January last year and I ate a lot of fruit, so I never felt like the sugar dragon was sleeping. Just FYI for those who are struggling,

Two weeks in today, hmm?

I've been quietly following this thread -- things have been incredibly busy with my cases.  I read the thread every day, I'm just not always in a position where I can comment.  I DID have a food dream the other night; I woke up thinking I had eaten half a bag of peanut m&ms and was upset with myself...until I realized that it was a dream.  :-D

Yesterday, I ate well.  I had a hardboiled egg topped with mayo and proscuitto preworkout, then M1 was lamb dolmas.  M2 was nomnompaleo's carrot and cardamom soup with shredded chicken mixed in, and M3 was shepherd's pie (ground beef topped with cauliflower) and green beans.  I had a late snack of hazelnuts and golden raisins when I was super hungry right before bed, which just leads me to believe that my M3 should've been bigger.  I'm having some bloating and stomach pain this morning, and I think that may be related to the nuts.  

M1 this morning was lamb dolmas.  I may have some bulletproof coffee before I head off to work.  Since I'm in the Army, I have to work out every morning with my unit.  We were "zonked" from PT this morning (let go after formation, which means we scatter like roaches to our cars).  I came home and am now watching Frozen on HBO instead of working out.  :-p  Definitely have to try to work out this afternoon.  

I hope everyone is doing well! 

Oh, and I forgot to mention -- my wonderful husband brought me a present yesterday.  A Sodastream!  So now I get to make my own sparkling water instead of paying through the nose for Perrier or Gerolsteiner.

Cruising right along, in any case. 

I just realized that I've never posted my meals....  So I'll do yesterdays...Which was a total disaster BTW.  LOL

M1 : 2 Hard boiled eggs wrapped in Proscuito

M2: Butternut Sqash Soup, Leftover shredded chicken breast, monkey salad

M3: (Don't try this at home, kids!) Garlic & Artichoke stuffed chicken breasts.  Salad, with Mango & Cucumber dressing.

First, let me say that the butternut squash soup was amazing, and easy to make!  I ate the entire pot by my self, because Hubby thought it tasted like "Hot Gerber Baby food)  Here is the recipe I used.  http://paleogrubs.com/butternut-squash-soup-recipe   I did leave out the carrots because I didn't have any on hand, and left out the Ghee because I didn't think it really needed it.

The Garlic & Artichoke stuffed chicken breast left much to be desired!  It sounds really yummy, looks really yummy, even smells really yummy.....and it's all a LIE.  I litterally had to choke it down because I wasn't about to make another meal to replace it. 

The salad dressing sounded really good too!  I found it on Pinterest yesterdsay and thought I'd give it a whilrl.  It took a whirl down the kitchen sink after dinner.  BLECH!

So needless to say, I was really cranky last night.

The Garlic & Artichoke stuffed chicken breast left much to be desired!  It sounds really yummy, looks really yummy, even smells really yummy.....and it's all a LIE.  I litterally had to choke it down because I wasn't about to make another meal to

The salad dressing sounded really good too!  I found it on Pinterest yesterdsay and thought I'd give it a whilrl.  It took a whirl down the kitchen sink after dinner.  BLECH!

So needless to say, I was really cranky last night.

Ugh that's the worst! I get so mad when my kitchen experiments don't turn out. You put so much effort in, and then force feed yourself until you can't stand it anymore.

I am tired today :/ everyone at work is sick and I think I'm fighting off what they have. I wish I'd stayed in bed this morning instead of dragging my heels through a half fast workout.

In other news I got major props from hubs about keeping us on track with my tireless efforts in the kitchen. That felt nice. He recognized that I'm trying to make it feel like we have tons of options, really we do. We are getting sick of eggs at m1. Time to think up some more egg free breakfasts. I've been saving some on pinterest because I knew this time was coming

ask the kids what they are making for their dinner tonight... I know I am having leftovers. ;)

Love it!

The Kale vegetable, wasn't my favorite in the beginning, but as Kale chips, yes, I can eat a lot of those.

Ya, kale can be kind of bitter all on it's own. Roasting or wilting definitely helps!

I have to say I am *so excited* by the discovery I made today. I accidentally happened upon a company store right around the corner from my work. I went on lunch today and they had local organic poultry, local grass fed beef, and so much more. I never knew it was there, this is such an awesome find!

Score!!

CPc6PMz.jpg

Ugh that's the worst! I get so mad when my kitchen experiments don't turn out. You put so much effort in, and then force feed yourself until you can't stand it anymore.

That's why I have dogs, ducks and chickens (one of many reasons) - they'll eat anything!

It was great to wake up to so many new posts this morning!  The last 2 days my morning chores have been going smoother and I've been getting to work early!  What a nice unexpected benefit of W30.  I'm still not getting to bed early enough, but maybe soon.  6-6.5 hours of sleep isn't catching up with me yet and I'm not having sleepy afternoons anymore but I really do like my sleep.

I have Kalua Pig in my crockpot today - can't wait for dinner tonight.  What do you guys recommend having with it?

Went to Costco last night and got pork shoulder - 18# worth!  We should be set on Kalua Pig for the rest of the winter.  They also had the Kitchen Aid immersion blender so brought that home and some food storage containers, too.  Another surprise benefit (for me) of W30 is the idea of prepping food on the weekend - wish I had thought of it years ago!  Cooking dinner on a work night is so much more enjoyable with more variety when it's so quick and easy.

Didn't manage to eat breakfast, again.  

M1: salad, avocado, chicken, walnuts, swiss chard, fish (leftovers all mixed together cuz I'm lazy)

M2: kalua pig and ???

Noticed this morning my face feels smoother, pants are looser, head is clear.  Still some gastro gurgling but improving every day.  I'm still getting headaches but only when I forget to drink water.  Yay!!

Good morning....

Not a banner day for me yesterday, but another day, and that's something.

M1 2 lg handfuls of almonds

M2 lg salad with chicken, avocado, olives

M3 Cauliflower and a whole avocado

Then...my kids baked a huge pan of the most amazing cream cheese chocolate cookie bars-oh my word, the smell! And I LOVE choc. chip cookies anyway. I didn't have any, but I was feeling so sorry for myself that I had multiple handfuls of dried peaches from the freezer. Way too much. BUT-I didn't faceplant into the dessert, which is something of an accomplishment in my world.

My big goal is going to be to WAIT to start eating till I'm sitting down to the meal. That's part of the reason my meals aren't very well rounded. Last night, I got home late, with a carload of cranky kids, no dinner started yet and a thousand things to do, plus STARVING. So I sliced and ate the avocado while I was prepping dinner. By the time dinner came around I wasn't hungry for much-thus the odd combination of just adding some cauliflower. I can wait, it's just a very bad, very long standing habit.

So today, we begin again on the template meal goal. Thanks for the tough love :)

Wow Stravajunkie that is some strong commitment there. I think you deserve a pat on the back for not succumbing to that desert. 

I've found that having a template really helps and then being juuust a bit flex with it so that I learn what really works for me. One of my issues is grazing at night so I set a soft line of no eating after 7:30. I'm realizing that giving myself some wiggle room of between 7:30 - 8 is more realistic.

And oftentimes also I find lunches to be a challenge as I tend to run late and then feel famished.  I'm finding that clarity helps - e.g. I'm going to have a hbegg for a snack and that's it 'till I have my lunch made.

Anyhow, more power to you! Sounds like a LOT on the plate so to speak. ;)

Sandy M, I get it - the double/triple meals for everyone x washing up! I mentioned earlier that I find it helpful cooking my Whole30 meal and just adapting it to meat the tastes of the other family members (you're actually putting yourself first that way)! By the way, I was also going to make ghee but when I thought about purchasing all that butter and throwing out half of it (the milk solids) then the prep work involved, the cost of buying it ready made was a much more sensible idea - similar in price too!

Leanne.

I was thinking that as well...but so many people have said (on the facebook page) that it tastes so much better when you make it at home. I figured I need to try doing it at least once. :)  But sadly I didn't make it last night...I will make it today and see if I think there is such a big difference.

So my family knows I am doing the Whole 30 and reading thru the book. Once I started reading a lot of it made sense as to why things are good or bad for us, granted I am no nutritionist but I don't feel like anything is way out there...but this morning I received a call from my mom because she had been watching the Today show and a lady (no idea who) was on talking about what is good and bad for eveyone and that even though some people think it's good, coconut oil is very bad for us. Now I am dealing with a mom who truely thinks I'm reading and doing something that's  very unhealthy. I tried to explain that even if I wasn't doing the Whole 30 I would be doing some kind of elimination diet to see what affects my fibromyalgia symptoms. Sadly we have had these type of conversations before...my kids grew up not drinking milk (becasue they both seemed very intolerant) and that was such a big issue with her, she acted as if I was trying to make them sick. Funny thing is that they seemed to have more problems once they started having dairy (milk, cheese, ice cream) but according to my mom I was just "seeing" things. Now I feel I have to try to justify what I'm doing...sigh. Sorry for the vent...just got off the phone with her.

Archived