Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 15!  Whoot!  Whoot!  Back in Dec I had read half of ISWF, and thought I was ready to start a W30...I made it 13 days so to be at day 15 feels great!  I paid the $15 and subscribed to the daily emails and I must admit they are very informative and I look forward to them every day.  Today's email said that in week 3 we should notice our bodies becoming "fat adapted" and no longer "carb adapted".  I hope this means that I will be able to stay up later at night!  I know that the W30 program has been shown to improve sleeping but SHEESH I do not need to be falling asleep on my couch at 8:00-8:30 at night!  My poor husband is watching all our favorite DVR'd shows w/o me b/c I'm sawing logs!  I have a couple theories about this...one is that I am experiencing more energy and therefore I am being more active with my workouts and also in my workplace and thus I am give out earlier in the evening b/c of everything I accomplished that day.  My other theory is that I may not be getting enough fat for fuel.  I am trying to follow the template and eat 1-2T per meal but in reality a half avocado might be a better fuel choice then 10 olives???  So I'm playing around with that and looking forward to being fully "fat-adapted" LOL!    

Hello,

Haven't posted here since Day 1 (mostly using the Facebook group), but wanted to chime in after catching up on a chunk of these posts.  It's good to see all the feedback and positive talk, along with the questions and frustrations.

I previously attempted a W30 last summer, but only got to Day 12- fell apart on a business trip, so this time, I made sure I have no work issues.  Well, not exactly on purpose, since I got laid off in Dec, but it does make it easier when all I have to do is shop, cook and eat!  (and run the dishwasher most every night)

I have found that batch cooking is still important even though I do have more time.  It's much easier to look into the fridge and see several things to choose from that are already cooked/just need heating, or mostly prepped and ready for a quick saute to complete.   It's only me, so I may get a little bored with the bison chili on the 5th bowl, but it's better than the alternative of having nothing ready to go.  

I was already eating mostly paleo anyway, just not as strict about oils and cheese since I tended to eat out at pubs a lot.  Which means my only source of grains was beer, so eliminating that is the biggest change for me.  It's going more easily than I expected, probably due to the whole change of routine since being out of work.  Old habit would be pub on way home from work, but now that I know I have other options (tea shop, yoga class, working on resume/job hunt things from home), it's not as much of a deprivation as I had envisioned.

Main point of posting though, is that in reading this thread, it seems like many posters might not be eating enough, from my perspective.  I hike/walk/bike for fun and to get around town, and I'm doing more yoga than ever have in my life, so I'm moving, but not cross-fit or running marathons. And I feel like I'm eating way more than I see here.  And (without having stepped on scale) still losing some weight, bloat etc. so I don't think I'm eating TOO much.   

I'll post some of my meal logs a bit later, just so you can see where I'm coming from on the volume/calories issue.  

And continued best wishes on the journey to all!

Dawn

It's so nice to have a fridge full of prepped ingredients! Tonight's "spaghetti" dinner was enjoyable to make since the onions and spaghetti squash were cooked and the mushrooms were sliced. Just lightly steamed the squash and simmered the sauce. So good I ate 3 bowls full :)

Day 15. Cooking is going to be a little easier for a couple days, hubby went on a trip.

M1, 3 eggs and fried apples with cinnamon

M2, pork chop and 2 hard boiled egg

M3, spaghetti squash with meat sauce.

My boss gave me a piece of cake today and wanted to know what was wrong with it. I didn't eat the cake, I had my son eat it and I just asked him a lot of questions. Tomorrow, I'll tell her it was the apples in the cake that didn't taste right. My boss will never understand the whole30. She starved as a child and young adult, she talks about dumpster diving food food and other ways of getting food.

My friends are mentioning my face is getting thinner. I can feel my pants getting looser.

I'm enjoying all the posts, thank you.

Good night.

I too find these posts awesomely helpful and am thoroughly enjoying reading as well as posting. ;)

Right now, I have a cat on me and my laptop at the edge of my knees as I lounge on my couch after pigging out on an awesome blanched baby kale salad with sauteed chicken liver, a bit of bacon, hb egg, uncured salami, carot/celery, 1/2 avo and a lemon squeeze and am completely utterly satisfied. And so is my cat. That was so good and so easy to make.

I did eat my dinner after 8 tonight as I didn't have time to make before work (still working on bulk cooking) and yes, I succumbed to 1/3 cup pistachios after my salad - but at least I measured it (with shells) and STOPPED after.

It'd be easy to prep the parts of salad and put together before work. Time to chop chop on the chopping.  

Tonight, I'm going to do a bit of late night yoga to help digestion process. We'll se how I feel tomorrow. I've been really good this week otherwise about being finished eating by 8. And although am feeling those ups and downs, a little tired, I'm so much more clear headed and better in general, like way less tummy bloating (!) and becoming more regular (hallelujah!) and SO much more mental focus! 

M1 two eggs (one with two yolks) with chicken sausage and broccoli/small tomato

M2 1/2 stuffed pepper with lamb, big mound of steamed kale, 1/4 cup cashews, 1/3 cup over baked chewy yummy summer squash.

One way I love to cook acorn and summer squash is by cutting it up into strips, laying them out on a cookie sheet, no oil or salt needed, and just bake the hell out of them, till they're brown on the edges. They are so good and chewy. Have to watch squash as well with overeating. 

That's all for now. Keep posting and congrats to all for making it through day 15!

xo

Thanks for the info Jenn...I know I should be doing that. It's just hard to convince myself to keep my feet on the ice. I like the heat better. ;)  But I know I need to do both. I was also told to get house shoes (not to go barefoot) have you heard that as well? I really don't like wearing shoes of any kind in the house but if it will make a difference I will give it a try.

Hi Sandy! Sorry for the delay in responding, I'm still here, but terrible at keeping up with the forums and the FB page! I have heard the same about making sure to always wear shoes with good arch support. I'm always nagging my sister about flip flops in the summer time (that's what big sisters do, right?!). My arches collapse when I run, so I need good shoes and good support inserts as well to avoid ankle pain from posterior tibial tendonitis. That side-lined me for a few weeks about a year and a half ago, and icing really helped!

Guys, thank you heaps for the suggestions! Praxis, I love the "no surprise food" policy - yes. I have my own options, I'll use them, and feel better for it. Further to that though, I need to find a balance between getting Good Food snacks etc, while also moving away from using food as a prop/treat/reward. The w30 really strips away my ability to do use food as an emotional prop, and it's made me stop and think about how I do that the rest of the time. And yesterday that resulted in a Kill All The Things evening. My poor husband...!

And leahcarn, I took your advice and read the ingredients on the packet of Tim Tams on the office "baking table" today - worked brilliantly! First 3 ingredients were sugar, wheat flour, and milk solids, followed by a long list of other stuff. I thought about how much had to have been done to those ingredients just to get them to the point where they'd be put into Tim Tams, then all the processing that happened after that to actually make the biscuits/cookies, and it just turned me off them. So thank you!

BTW, we had a great, and easy, tomato soup this evening... 4 cloves of garlic (we both love it though), cumin, 2 cans of chopped tomatoes, 2 cans of water, and a finely chopped potato. Sautéed off the garlic and cumin with some olive oil, added veg, simmered for a few minutes, blended, then had with hard boiled egg chopped in, and salt, pepper and hot sauce. Yum!

NannyD, I just love how you addressed about 10 of us in the one post - cool!

I have to say that Dallas and Melissa must really know what they are talking about....allowing us to have coffee helps with the not going 100% cold turkey from all our vices. The deal is you can only have it black (or with coconut milk) which is what I've been doing. I'm usually a Nespresso pod milk & 1 sugar (I have xylitol) girl - about 3-4 cups a day. Now I'm having 1 (sometimes 2) coconut coffees which I'm growing kind of tired of. Whilst they have helped me get to this stage, I'm now finding I'm losing interest in them, they're kind of SWYPO - not as good as the real thing. My point is, by the Whole30 allowing a 'version' of coffee, I'm finding out all on my own, that maybe I don't really want it anymore...thanks Dallas and Melissa!

My food today was:

M1

Coconut coffee

2 scrambled eggs with mayo, smoked salmon, chives & capers

2 strawberries

M2

Leftover bolognaise

Kale chips

Kombucha

Nuts & coconut chips

M3

Stuffed eggplant with tomato, onion, capsicum & mushroom

Pulled Pork

Prosciutto

Olives

Kombucha

Still loving everyone's posts - keep it up! xx

BTW, we had a great, and easy, tomato soup this evening... 4 cloves of garlic (we both love it though), cumin, 2 cans of chopped tomatoes, 2 cans of water, and a finely chopped potato. Sautéed off the garlic and cumin with some olive oil, added veg, simmered for a few minutes, blended, then had with hard boiled egg chopped in, and salt, pepper and hot sauce. Yum!

Am so going to try this Tomato Soup recipe Sunflour!

Howdy all. Still here, hanging on by the seat of my pants. Yesterday was ugly.

M1 4 eggs and salsa

M2 WAY TOO MUCH DRIED FRUIT

M3 some spinach, 2 oranges, misc cooked vegies

As bad as this looks, I'm very happy to still be here. Yesterday was a relentlessly long and relentlessly stressful workday. There was one point where I just thought 'screw it. What I need in order to focus is some coffee with cream and sugar.' But I didn't go there. I did munch and munch and munch on the dried (homemade, no sugar) fruit. Which wasn't good, but helped me squeak through without crashing.

No exercise, no outside time, never a good combination.

Today will be a lot more sane. I am getting out for a ride. We have an evening family event, so I will bring something healthy to share. Other than that it will be popcorn and licorice sticks.

I agree, that tomato soup recipe sounds awesome. I may try that for myself, as I'm the only one in the house who will eat tomato soup.

Despite my totally not idea eating, I can see a lot of improvement in my face-not so puffy, looking less 'old' and tired. Even if I still FEEL old and tired :)

Keep truckin' everybody!

Woke up before my alarm again, but would love to crawl back into bed. Tomorrow !

Today's plan:

M1 (lunch): leftover round roast, sweet potato, live kraut with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon

M2 (dinner): zucchini noodles, chicken thighs, olive oil, sundried tomatoes

I'm losing my resolve in the evening, but hoping I'm just a few days behind the timeline and things will change soon. Good thing there's no wine in the house because last night I had convinced myself it would be ok to have a glass with dinner so long as I stuck with all the other rules. So far no cheats other than a daily snack of walnuts late afternoon, but it's been close. It really helps to come back to the forum and see how everyone else is doing! I don't want to be the one that quits :)

More than halfway there!!

For those of you who aren't receiving the Daily emails, they sent a couple of great links to some sweets we can have - eye candy - and also an informative article on how to stay compliant during a zombie apocalypse

Also, just received my new It Starts With Food book yesterday and it's really good. I started reading it last night and I'm almost to Chapter 5 already. Their term "supernormal stimulus" is interesting - "...a supernormal food stimulus is the science-y term for something so exaggerated that we prefer it to reality." That is SO TRUE!

I grew up on ding dongs and wonder bread (bless my mom - she also often fed us shake-n-bake chicken and broccoli with cheese in attempt to get healthy food in our bellies). I considered eating one last package of ding dongs before starting this program but something told me not to (hmmm maybe the awareness that ding dongy foods actually caused my SIBO in the first place?)... But if I hadn't been diagnosed, I would have fooled myself into believing those ding dongs would actually be enjoyable. Bleah!! It's bogus! Ding dongy foods offer fictitious, fraudulent pleasures. Not real. UNconscious. NOT conscious.

Now? They sound terrible. My head is back in reality and that's really cool.

Whoops, small amendment to the tomato soup recipe - it's one can of water/stock, not two. Sorry!

Day 16: Bit bored of eggs for breakfast!!! Might start making 'hash' with root veggies, meat and top with a fried egg to make it more interesting & substantial....been pretty much sticking to boiled eggs, scrambled eggs and mini omelettes I make in muffin cases. Also, not been very hungry at lunch but have made sure to eat something even if it's quite small....then I'm ravenous at dinner time!!! Dinner has always been my favourite meal of the day and I'm really enjoying creating whole 30 dishes. No cravings really....even my red wine booze beast seems tamed!!!

Main point of posting though, is that in reading this thread, it seems like many posters might not be eating enough, from my perspective.  I hike/walk/bike for fun and to get around town, and I'm doing more yoga than ever have in my life, so I'm moving, but not cross-fit or running marathons. And I feel like I'm eating way more than I see here.  And (without having stepped on scale) still losing some weight, bloat etc. so I don't think I'm eating TOO much.   

I'll post some of my meal logs a bit later, just so you can see where I'm coming from on the volume/calories issue.  

And continued best wishes on the journey to all!

Dawn

I agree. I think a lot of people give up because they are so hungry because they are not eating enough. We have been programmed as a culture to eat small meals, frequently. It's kind of scary to really pile on the food! And also adding more fat is such a help. I used to have either a couple tablespoons of ghee OR 1/2 an avocado, and lately that I have been having both and it really keeps me fuller longer.

Day 16: Bit bored of eggs for breakfast!!! Might start making 'hash' with root veggies, meat and top with a fried egg to make it more interesting & substantial....been pretty much sticking to boiled eggs, scrambled eggs and mini omelettes I make in muffin cases. Also, not been very hungry at lunch but have made sure to eat something even if it's quite small....then I'm ravenous at dinner time!!! Dinner has always been my favourite meal of the day and I'm really enjoying creating whole 30 dishes. No cravings really....even my red wine booze beast seems tamed!!!

Try a hamburger with a runny (fried) egg on top, with a salad of mixed greens. Mmmm....

Hi, all!

I've been incommunicado - super busy at work, single mom with 2 kids.  I started my (4th or 5th?) Whole30 on 1/1 and it's been AWESOME.  My energy is incredible (fyi, I'm 54), my mood is VASTLY improved, and I'm not craving anything.  My red wine craving from last week passed (thank goodness).  I am seriously thinking about a Whole100 - anybody interested???

Interestingly, I was really hungry yesterday, so I ate more, but today I'm not very hungry at all.  Food today:

M1:  2 hard boiled eggs, carrots, cucumber, coffee with almond milk, herbal tea (decaf), half of a honey crisp apple (yum)

M2:  Mixed greens, grilled shrimp, hard boiled egg, tea, almonds

Dinner out tonight with friends.  I'm planning on either grilled fish, steak or chicken with veggie side.  :)  FYI, one of the best things I've done for most of the last 16 days was bake breakfast casseroles on Sundays for Mon-Fri grab and go breakfasts (I take them to the office so I can eat at 8:30 or 9am).  Best experiment so far - shredded sweet potato as "crust" for egg/sausage/onion/spinach mixture. 

Need to read more of your posts! 

• Administrators

I agree. I think a lot of people give up because they are so hungry because they are not eating enough. 

People come to this reading "Healthy" and understanding "diet".  In fact when we do the Whole30 and find our way and nourish our gorgeous bodies, we are redefining it so that "healthy" doesn't mean hungry or diet or restriction or bland or sad or frustrated.  Healthy = delicious and heavenly and nutritious and full.

LOVE healthy. 

Hi again,

Per my last post, just wanted to share a random sampling of meals so far so you can see how much yummy food I'm eating.

1/3  M1-Had egg, with 1/2 roasted sweet potato and some of the pork roast and broccoli. M2-Beef Chili. M3- Chicken Pad Thai - awesome and with chicken, spaghetti squash and the sunshine sauce already cooked, just subbed broccoli stalks for the snap peas.  

1/5 M1- squash pork yam broccoli kimchi. Yoga/meditation. M2-Chili squash broccoli, kraut. Bit of walking & biking. Pre-second yoga snack was anchovies, capers, couple olives. M3- Pork green beans sweet potato kimchi. Couple strawberries.

1/6 M1- pork sweet potato egg broccoli cooked in bone broth, coconut milk and green curry, sauerkraut (first batch I've made myself-started fermenting Friday after Thanksgiving in prep for this W30).  M2-Biked to WF to pick up salad lunch and a couple of things-added kraut, guac and bit of lemon cod liver oil.  M3- chili, remainder of salad, and cup of zucchini soup.  Couple bubbly waters with lemon or lime.  Couple strawberries. Yummy mtn gold Roibos tea before bed. 
No hunger except when I'm supposed to be, though sometimes I eat more than I probably need cause I have cooked it and it's in front of me.  Have only snacked when I needed it (i.e. mid-hike, or pre-evening yoga).

1/10 M1-Kale, 2 eggs, garlic/onions, pork bits, with kraut and smoked salmon. after pool snack- Kombucha, almond milk & 1/3 Larabar.  M2- salad with scallions, sardines, kraut and last of the pork. M3- last of the chili over lettuce and some guac.

1/13 M1- Almond milk (homemade). Bison steak with grilled onions, zuke, kale & Fried egg, kraut/guac.  M2- bacon ends, turnips, onion, garlic and carrots, last of bone broth, over spinach.  1/2 tangelo.  M3- last of the bacon turnip etc dish over spinach. Rest of tangelo.  Finished cooking/freezing new batch of broth.  Short workout- stairs, rowing, pull-ups/dips.  Getting plenty of sleep, cold totally gone. 

1/14 M1-Bison steak with grilled onions, zuke, kale, spinach and carrots & Fried egg, kraut. 2 almonds, Kombucha pre-yoga.  Biked to FreshThymes for M2- Brussels sprouts slaw with brined grilled chicken/pesto. M3- was just an apple and sunbutter cause out late watching the stars and not very hungry/late lunch

1/15  Halfway!  Bone broth/almond milk/coffee pre-yoga.  M1- 2 eggs, last small bit of Bison steak with carrots/zuke/spinach/shrooms, cooked in Ghee, kraut/guac on side. M2- Bison chili (onions, garlic, tomatoes/juice, carrots, kale and a couple potatoes, bone broth).   M3- golden cauliflower curry soup (onion, bone broth and coconut milk).  Some coconut chips (toasted coco and salt are only ingredients, but these things are really tasty).  1/2 glass homemade almond milk.

So there it is- some of the meals are recipes from Nom Nom or Clothes make the Girl, some I just make up as I've been getting better at cooking over the last few years (finally!).  Nice thing about Boulder is that there are sources of grass-fed local pork, lamb, beef, goat and chicken/eggs.  I had to order compliant bacon and liverworst/braunschweiger from US Wellness meats though, and Bison from Wild Idea Buffalo. 

And, today I treated myself to a mini-spa day.  I barely escaped the offer of a glass of wine while my nails were drying- my habit was to say "of course!" but I declined in favor of tea instead, explaining that I wasn't drinking this month.  Whew!  (Of course, if she'd offered me an IPA, I might have had to think harder before declining...)

Cheers to all,
Dawn 

Hey all, loving the uptick in comments, keep 'em coming!

Hubs took off on his boys weekend today and refused all of the food I had made and bought for him, which I think means he is making the decision to bow out. I'm disappointed but not surprised, this was really my thing, though I was ecstatic when he wanted to join. His bigger challenge was going dry for the month, I will be truly impressed if he can continue on that journey. I will say he is noticeably thinner, and he noticed a much better mood for most of the last 2 weeks.

At least this means I don't really have to cook while he's away. I went mad with food prep because I thought I was about to get a cold and didn't want to cave, and I made tons of extra proteins for him to travel with.

Tomorrow I have breakfast plans with my MIL (already scoped out the menu for a few options), it'll be my first restaurant meal on the Whole30. 

I've been pretty tired and skipping my workouts as a result. I'm still keeping up with my morning yoga, which feels nice, but I'm hoping to get back to something challenging tomorrow. Not sure if the lead legs are diet induced or if my body is fighting the cold all my coworkers have, so I've been going easy on myself. I made my first broth and it is delicious! You can taste the goodness. I cant wait to try sunflour's tomato soup recipe with it. I lost track of who shared the pizza soup recipe, but thank you! I made it last night and I was thrilled to have the leftovers today. When everyone ordered out for pizza and meatball subs I didn't even feel like I was missing out :) I did run from the room when someone produced the dessert calzone though. I'm better off with total avoidance on the sweets!

Today was about surviving....don't get me wrong, I adore my mom but she stresses the hell outta me at the same time. To cope with her visit I ate an Rx Bar for snack and two portions of dinner. I did not need either but the food was my comfort and it soothed me. Although the Rx bar and the dinner was W30 compliant, I hate that I fell back on old habits in stressful situations. It served as a reminder that although I am better off than I was Dec. 31st, I still have a lot of psychological work to do on this. From the start I knew I needed to extend past 30 days for all my hang-ups and tonight reaffirms. On the upside, glad I have finally found a program that just makes good sense and one that I don't actually mind sticking to......it's finally worth the work to me!

So far no cheats other than a daily snack of walnuts late afternoon, but it's been close. It really helps to come back to the forum and see how everyone else is doing! I don't want to be the one that quits :)

More than halfway there!!

Hang in there SuzeEG, I've been tempted by wine, pizza and various vices also, but it's empowering to think we're ignoring our dragons and getting on with the job!

It's kinda interesting to see what's happening to my body. I can feel and see some measurement reductions already. Stomach bloating fluctuates, but I think I'm on the downhill again now - yey! My coldsore went without too much fuss, and my skin feels softer/face looks clearer apart from a couple of spots that have popped up in the past week - WTH??? I'm putting it down to my body eliminating the toxins from my system...

For lunch today I wrapped some bbq chicken in proscuitto - Mmmm, accompanied by 1/2 a Subway salad bowl + roasted beetroot.

My midday drink of choice is homemade apple iced tea - so refreshing. Thinking seriously about giving up my morning coconut coffee because I just don't seem to get much enjoyment out of it! Evening wine substitution (if I'm allowed to call it that), is mineral water with fresh lime juice & ice. I know this is still falling into the pattern of habits, but like me husband reminded me last night, we all have habits! Just following a routine to get ready in the morning is a habit, as is sitting on the same seat in the bus every day. This habit I can take or leave too as it has NO dragons associated!!!

Happy Saturday (or Friday) everyone!!!

By the way, Re: Bronny's post, I thought I'd signed up for newsletters, but haven't received any - confused? :wacko:

Day 16.

M1, fried cinnamon apples and 3 eggs.

Cleaned the house before heading over to the farm. That is not normal for me, definitely like the change.

M2, tuna fish, 2 hard boiled eggs and sweet potatoes.

Did more house work and folded all the clothes.

M3 the last of the spaghetti squash with meat sauce.

Went shopping with my daughter. She was getting so frustrated with me because I was reading all the labels on every package. Then I said," find any item you can without sugar". So she started reading labels also. Love those teachable moments. We finally ended up in the produce isle and picked up whole food. Although, she did get dried mangoes second ingredient sugar. She also reminded me who was doing the whole30 and who was not. I paid for her mangoes.

Snack after shopping 3 hand full of nuts and tea.

I am thinking about continuing my whole30 longer. I just love the content feeling and the even supply of energy I have throughout the day.

Have a great night/ day.

Archived