Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Kelly, your post made me laugh - cheeky kids, they're always right!

I was also considering continuing my Whole30 - similar reasons. I think however I'll reserve that decision for closer to the end of this Whole30. I'm keen to get over the finish line, check my weight, measurements, see whether I feel like re-introducing any of those 'naughty' food/drink items with dragons for a brief period etc, etc.

I don't know about the people who started this on Jan 1 who haven't joined our forum, but for sure, the people posting in this thread seem dedicated and strong!

Can't believe how much it helps, having people all around the world going through the same failures and success with you and sharing their stories & support - yay!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all- glad to see everyone is still hanging in there! It's my day 19... just waiting for my tiger blood now. LOL! It took a bit the first round last August, so I'm not anticipating it in the next few days.

I bought a spiralizer a few months back and adore it. I make a batch of pasta sauce with crumbled turkey sausage, and then toss in raw "zoodles" when the sauce is done, simmer for a few extra minutes. The zoodles will cook in the sauce. It tastes great- I don't miss pasta at all.

One more to share- I made Well Fed's Bora Bora Fireballs and Sunshine Sauce this week- oh my gosh is that good stuff! I've been taking them to work for lunch every day along with green beans, carrots, and a little fruit. If you haven't tried them yet, I highly recommend them. They have a decent kick, but not so much heat that I'm scrambling for my water bottle either. :)

I hope everyone is doing well- have a great weekend!

Jenn2011, I just googled the Bora Bora Fireballs and Sunshine Sauce and they sound amazing! Will be testing those out this week - thanks!

Just finished M3, a new recipe which I'd say was a 4 out of 5.

I had a hankering for Beef Strogonoff, so after googling "paleo beef strogonoff" I came across this recipe http://paleoleap.com/beef-stroganoff/

As I'm a huge fan of sour cream, I wasn't sure how the recipe would turn out without it. I was happy with the end result, but I DID have to add a few extras to beef up the flavour. I substituted apple cider vinegar for white wine, added 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos & coconut flour to thicken then sprinkled with pine nuts. This was accompanied by mashed potato made with coconut milk, green beans and 2 dates.

Keep the posts going guys!!!

My midday drink of choice is homemade apple iced tea - so refreshing. Thinking seriously about giving up my morning coconut coffee because I just don't seem to get much enjoyment out of it! Evening wine substitution (if I'm allowed to call it that), is mineral water with fresh lime juice & ice. I know this is still falling into the pattern of habits, but like me husband reminded me last night, we all have habits! Just following a routine to get ready in the morning is a habit, as is sitting on the same seat in the bus every day. This habit I can take or leave too as it has NO dragons associated!!!

I've been doing 30 of yoga with Yoga with Adriene over on youtube to establish the habit of waking up with yoga everyday. It puts me in a much better headspace. Any who she said something yesterday that stuck with me re: habits and resolutions, that she prefers to call them her rituals. I think it's a great way of looking at it, rituals are just things that you do, no "good" or "bad" they're just a part of your life, and usually rituals are thoughtfully selected because they have some meaning to you, or make you feel your best.

By the way, Re: Bronny's post, I thought I'd signed up for newsletters, but haven't received any - confused?  :wacko:

There is a free newsletter that comes out once every two weeks I think. What Bronny mentioned is the paid version where they send you a motivational email everyday with helpful info that pertains to where you are in your 30 days.

Jayelle- I am making your breakfast bake this week! Looks great!

I am doing great. I had an orange after dinner night before last, and after lunch yesterday I definitely wanted another one. That sugar dragon is so sneaky! I have decided to follow Tom Denham's advice and just carry a bag of nuts instead of a larabar when I am running my errands today. We live pretty far from town so I have to bring food. Yesterday I made some hard boiled eggs, cauliflower rice, and a baked sweet potato to take with me. I'm not sure how I will eat the sweet potato cold. Maybe I'll mash it with ghee before I leave?

Starting to think about getting my family on board. It just seems like so much food to make! But really if they weren't so picky I know meals would be easier. I can't stand to cook and eat the same bland stuff over and over. My hubby and my son are the main problems. They don't like bell pepper, which I love! Funnily enough hubby will eat stuffed peppers if the peppers are the spicy kind. My son won't eat the pepper part at all, just the meat filling. I guess I just have to keep trying different recipes.

I feel like making chili but hubby won't eat it if it's got a lot of onions, and he definitely won't eat bell peppers. Pre-whole 30 I would make it with browned ground beef, a can of chili beans with the juices, lots of tomato paste, a little cumin and chili powder. Then top with fresh tomatoes (and avocado for me!). Any ideas on how to make that compliant and sneak in some extra veggies? He's not crazy about pumpkin but maybe pumpkin chili is really good??? He really doesn't like highly seasoned dishes. Prefers bland stuff (bleh).

Edited to add: okay honestly part of the problem is me. I enjoy baking treats for my family and I like making cookies with my kids. Gotta figure out different ways to express my love for them.

ok husband is officially off the 30 days. I got a sad text last night that he had eaten a chip, lol. I reminded him of what huge that progress was that he hadn't eaten a bowl of chips and a bowl of dip and, and, and. He'll be in for the remaining days when he returns, and I'll pick his brain about just restarting, since there's another 10 days of reintroduction for me, if he eats whole 30 for those he'll be almost back up to 30. 

In other news, I took the clarified butter away for most of this week and noticed that the little red bumps all over my arms and legs that I've had *forever* (my mum called it my chicken skin :/) are going away. I thought I had noticed it around day 3 (right before I made my clarified butter!), but didn't want to psych myself up about positive changes that early. My mind is blown.

I woke up bright eyed a bushy tailed today and got in a great workout :)

Good morning!

Yesterday:

M1 4 eggs and salsa

M 2 Lg sweet potato with bacon, green salad

M 3 LARGE Spinach salad with roasted walnuts  and raisins, boiled egg, a couple handfuls of nuts.

A little progress in balanced meals. M3 was too much. But some of that was second helpings because what I WANTED was to eat was all the treats and goodies at the potluck my family and I were at. I made the decision to bring the spinach salad to share, and I'm glad I did because there was nothing else (other than the nuts) that I could eat.

I'm also allowing myself some leeway to lean toward a more carb dense menu Friday/Saturday because I have a very challenging long ride planned on Sunday (not sure if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it-it will be a real killer-and alone, so no company to take my mind off my misery). One thing I'm noticing about the carbs: fruit carbs don't seem to have any staying power for me. I've never done 'carb loading' before events, but do transition to more of a carb focus (in the past, that would be lots of peanut butter, oatmeal, etc). On this program, that would be sweet potatoes, white potatoes, maybe some dates. But I don't feel a real advantage from general fruit-I can often feel a blood sugar spike, but not that sense of having quite a bit of stored energy on board. Don't know if that rambling make sense, but it's been an interesting observation for me, and further affirmation that turning to fruit as a substitute for sugary things I would have eaten in the past makes no sense.

Interesting that several of you mentioned extending beyond 30 days. I've been thinking the same thing, then laughing at myself since I'm only at day 15. Um, perhaps getting ahead of yourself, cupcake? But seriously, I think for me it will take longer than 30 days to really get into the spirit of the program, and dial in the meals etc. I would also like more time to experiment with the pre/post workout snacks, which I haven't taken too seriously, because I can only handle so many changes of habit at once!

Next Saturday is my project D-Day. This work week will be hell on earth for me, Saturday itself will be insanely draining. But WHEN (not IF) I make it beyond that, I will have a lot more control over my schedule. So I'm hanging on with both hands, and telling myself that my absolute best effort is good enough for me and everyone else on the damn planet, and if things don't go perfectly, or I don't do as well as I hope, MY LIFE WILL GO ON. Furthermore, I will not make myself feel better by trying to escape the stress by eating something that makes me fail my goals on this program. That will just create 2 major failures instead of 1.

I really would like to have a little flex time to be able to delve into some of the creative cooking you all mention. Mine tends to be protein, veggies, and (too much) fruit, straight up. Not a lot of creativity. Although I did branch out a bit with that awesome spinach salad yesterday.

Have a great start to your weekend!

• Administrators

ok husband is officially off the 30 days. I got a sad text last night that he had eaten a chip, lol. I reminded him of what huge that progress was that he hadn't eaten a bowl of chips and a bowl of dip and, and, and. He'll be in for the remaining days when he returns, and I'll pick his brain about just restarting, since there's another 10 days of reintroduction for me, if he eats whole 30 for those he'll be almost back up to 30. 

In other news, I took the clarified butter away for most of this week and noticed that the little red bumps all over my arms and legs that I've had *forever* (my mum called it my chicken skin :/) are going away. I thought I had noticed it around day 3 (right before I made my clarified butter!), but didn't want to psych myself up about positive changes that early. My mind is blown.

Check out Keratosis Pilaris regarding your skin. Coconut oil is quite beloved in clearing it up when applied topically. I had it on my cheeks and did the oil cleansing method and cleared it up in about 3 weeks. Worth looking at.

Check out Keratosis Pilaris regarding your skin. Coconut oil is quite beloved in clearing it up when applied topically. I had it on my cheeks and did the oil cleansing method and cleared it up in about 3 weeks. Worth looking at.

I think a lot of people have this skin condition, I know I've always had a bit of 'chicken skin' on the back of my arms and a little bit on the top half of my legs. I thought it was sort of like ingrown hair folicles, but I've noticed a LOT of people have it - mainly women! It's funny you should mention yours seems to clearing up! As I mentioned earlier, my skin now seems softer etc and I've always suffered from dry skin with that bumpy business in chicken skin areas. Now it seems less 'bumpy'.....totes amaze balls!!!

I wasn't very hungry today, either.  I think I'm still recovering from snacking on cashews yesterday while making dinner - belly is not happy.  But, I went for a walk with hubby and the dogs and didn't need my inhaler!  First time in almost a year.

M1: ground pork, sweet potato

M2: butternut squash soup with chicken

Jenn2011, I just googled the Bora Bora Fireballs and Sunshine Sauce and they sound amazing! Will be testing those out this week - thanks!

Just finished M3, a new recipe which I'd say was a 4 out of 5.

I had a hankering for Beef Strogonoff, so after googling "paleo beef strogonoff" I came across this recipe http://paleoleap.com/beef-stroganoff/

As I'm a huge fan of sour cream, I wasn't sure how the recipe would turn out without it. I was happy with the end result, but I DID have to add a few extras to beef up the flavour. I substituted apple cider vinegar for white wine, added 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos & coconut flour to thicken then sprinkled with pine nuts. This was accompanied by mashed potato made with coconut milk, green beans and 2 dates.

Keep the posts going guys!!!

Let me know what you think- even my non-Whole 30 hubby was a big fan! I cut the recipe in half and still had 30+ meatballs, which gave me 5 days worth of lunch protein. I'm all for anything I can cook once that will last me most of the week. :)

Day 18: Today is a really important day for me as my first whole 30 attempt (May 2014) only lasted 18 days, my 2nd attempt (Sept 2014) only lasted 10 days....this time is 3rd time's a charm and I am doing the WHOLE 30!!!!! In fact, as I'm feeling so good right now, have bags of energy and no cravings I am considering keeping this going until Valentines Day which will mean I do a Whole 45! But, I'll get the 30 done first and see how I feel then. I know the results will be worth it because I can see a difference and feel a difference already. Looking forward to weighing in, measuring up and taking photos!!!

Day 18: Today is a really important day for me as my first whole 30 attempt (May 2014) only lasted 18 days, my 2nd attempt (Sept 2014) only lasted 10 days....this time is 3rd time's a charm and I am doing the WHOLE 30!!!!! In fact, as I'm feeling so good right now, have bags of energy and no cravings I am considering keeping this going until Valentines Day which will mean I do a Whole 45! But, I'll get the 30 done first and see how I feel then. I know the results will be worth it because I can see a difference and feel a difference already. Looking forward to weighing in, measuring up and taking photos!!!

Way to go! You're in the good part now, smooth sailing the next 12 days! :)

Feeling much better today - thank you Milk of Magnesia!  And I'm hungry :)  Didn't do any prep for the week as it's been too nice out to be indoors.  We still have some cooked chicken and lots of cooked pork in the fridge, and plenty of meat and veggies in the freezers.  May pick up some more lettuce - warm weather makes me crave salads.  Temps in the 50s feel like a heatwave after the last couple weeks.  Should probably bake lots of sweet potatoes tonight and make a few sauces.

M1: salad with chicken, avocado & sunshine sauce.

M2: pulled pork, kale, avocado

Have a great day, everybody!!

Had my first food dream last night. I took a bite of chocolate cookie and then I realized I had blown my whole30. I was glad to wake up from that. I took my lunch with me to town yesterday. The cold mashed sweet potatoes were a little hard to choke down but the cauliflower rice was fine. Next time I might do some of Nom Nom Paleo's tuna patties.

I feel like I've hit the cruise control button with this whole30. Hope everyone is able to take some time today to do some prep work for the upcoming week!

Kelly, LeaC, stravajunkie and others - me and my husband are thinking of extending this a bit longer too. Maybe a Whole45..? Reasons are similar to those already posted - this is going great so far, and it feels like just as the new habits are getting properly engrained (geddit??) we will be doing reintroductions, and I worry that for me it could mean feeling enabled to have "paleo treats" and kind of SWYPO-type food, followed by an eventual slide into seduction by the sugar dragon. I'm hoping that if I do this a bit longer, I'll break free from it with new routines, which was one of my W30 goals.

I also feel like I'm starting to see some physical benefits, and the bloating etc is starting to die down, I guess as my gut settles into this clean way of living. Hurrah!

. Hope everyone is able to take some time today to do some prep work for the upcoming week!

I was JUST thinking that!  Got a fridge full of zucchini, cukes, cauliflower, and broccoli ... now I'm thinking, "Now what??" :)

I couldn't believe it when I saw today was the 18th! Time is flying!

I'm still getting hungry at 4 pm. I don't eat breakfast within a half hour of getting up because I get up at 5 with my son. Is that terrible? I usually eat at 7 or 8 am, 12, and dinner is at 6. Hard to stay full that long. Could also be because I am pregnant! Yes, just found out recently. I just hope this doesn't derail my good food plans. So far no food aversions but last time I craved wheat and was totally repulsed by meat and veggies. So we shall see! I do notice that when my body needs food it needs it NOW. I ate roasted veggie soup for a snack today because it is so good! I roasted an eggplant, 3 beets, green pepper, couple carrots, and 3 cloves of garlic for 45 minutes. Then I dumped them in a soup pot with about 6 cups chicken broth, cooked another 45 mins, then puréed with my immersion blender. I normally don't go crazy for beets but this is my new favorite way to eat them. So warm and filling.

M1: steak with fried egg on top, spring mix salad with evoo and avocado, coffee with coconut milk

M2: chicken thighs, spring mix salad with avocado, butternut squash with ghee, more coffee

S: bowl of roasted veggie soup

M3: cod baked in ghee with roasted veggie soup, grapes

Kelly, LeaC, stravajunkie and others - me and my husband are thinking of extending this a bit longer too. Maybe a Whole45..? Reasons are similar to those already posted - this is going great so far, and it feels like just as the new habits are getting properly engrained (geddit??) we will be doing reintroductions, and I worry that for me it could mean feeling enabled to have "paleo treats" and kind of SWYPO-type food, followed by an eventual slide into seduction by the sugar dragon. I'm hoping that if I do this a bit longer, I'll break free from it with new routines, which was one of my W30 goals.

Hi Sunflour, Yes I'm keen to keep going a bit longer, but as I mentioned earlier, I would like to finish the 30 days, check in with myself, start reintroducing foods and see how I go from there. I'm not too sure about going non-stop  to 45 days or longer.

Ideally if I see benefit in doing another Whole30 I'd probably do all the end of W30 stuff over the course of a week or 2, then pick up again - maybe for another 30 days?

Does anyone have an opinion on this theory?

Meals today per below:

M1

Coconut coffee

Salmon  & Olives

Sweet potato mash with an egg scrambled through it

Pine nuts

Kombucha

Snack:

Apple

M2

Beef stroganoff & mashed potato

M3

Green pumpkin soup with crispy crumbled prosciutto - I made up this recipe tonight after I ran out of ideas for dinner. I just looked around the house to see what I had and tried to cover off veggies, fat & protein to create this yummy soup. Recipe below...

• Steam butternut pumpkin, add diced onion to steamer near the end and finally baby spinach in the last minute
  • Add warm ingredients to a blender with 1 cup of  chicken stock, 1 tablespoon of coconut milk, pepper, herbs of choice, nutmeg & salt to taste
  • Blend till smooth and top with crispy crumbled prosciutto

I think I'm currently obsessed with prosciutto because I found a brand with only 2 ingredients - pork & salt, and it's delicious! It's a little $$$'y but it's compliant and versatile!

On another note, I have a confession....I have been suffering from a terribly annoying tickle cough which is keep me (and my hubby) awake at night. I've had it for years and years but it comes and goes and of course it's returned to haunt me through my Whole30. I've tried to put up with it for a few nights but last night I wasn't willing to spend the night coughing myself to sleep so I desperately rumaged through the medicine cupboad and found 2 bottles of dry tickle cough syrup - problem is that's just what they are, syrup! (made from sugar and other ghastly substances). Both bottles had expired but I was desperate for some relief and took a sip of the 'younger' bottle and it's sickly sweet liquid. I'm not sure what it did for my gut healing efforts, but I was swigging away at the kombucha this morning in an attempt to put friendly cultures back into my system. Not keen to have any more of the medicine so if the coughing continues, I'll be off to the doctor to find out what could be triggering it and what home made remedies there might be.

But, I went for a walk with hubby and the dogs and didn't need my inhaler!  First time in almost a year.

OMG! That's HUGE! Congratulations!  :D  :D  :D

this time is 3rd time's a charm and I am doing the WHOLE 30!!!!! In fact, as I'm feeling so good right now, have bags of energy and no cravings I am considering keeping this going until Valentines Day which will mean I do a Whole 45! 

w00t w00t! :D This is fantastic!

I also feel like I'm starting to see some physical benefits, and the bloating etc is starting to die down, I guess as my gut settles into this clean way of living. Hurrah!

I'm also going longer than the Whole30 B)  although I was contemplating sulfites at the end and then going back to Whole30, still deciding. I've never done a sulfite reintroduction by itself.

Archived