Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of posts lately! I see that everybody is doing soooo good! I agree Bronnyd that it takes an amazing amount of self control to stop eating the almonds. I have only allowed myself to buy very minimal nuts this time around, and when I do buy almonds I buy them in the prepackaged serving sizes. Then, I grab one or two if I will be gone all day and use them at my discretion, however, its definitely the salt that I love more than the nut, so I have to watch out!

I am getting slightly frustrated with some people's reactions to my lifestyle choices, I just joined crossfit (woot woot) and have heard some very very negative feedback. I am very aware to modify WOD's and to pay extra attention to my form with lifts. I also get frustrated that even though I go out of my way to have people not worry about what I will eat (travel a lot with work) people still make it a game of, "Can you eat this." I know people are most likely just trying to be nice but it is quite frustrating :rolleyes: . Anyone else experiencing this? Whole30 doesn't differentiate tooooo much from how I eat normally, so I might just be extra sensitive right now.

Anywho the last couple of days have been very busy so I've been making one massive frittata and eating it in three servings. I actually quite enjoy it!!

6 eggs, 3-5 handfuls of kale, 1-2 cups of shredded cilantro lime chicken, 1 large zuchinni, garlic powder, Tessamae dressing (lemon garlic) salt and some more seasoning.

I eat this with some leafy greens, guacamole, and shredded unsulfited coconut! Nommmm

Lastly, I bought some coconut butter (manna) and I am having a terrible time getting it to come together, I tried it and it was almost unbearably sweet. Any ideas?

2/3 of 30 today!!!

:))

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I have been contemplating whether Konjac noodles might be W30 compliant, but after re-reading the ingredient list (konjac root flour, water, calcium hydroxide), I thought I might be on a winner. I googled calcium hydroxide which is basically  lime mixed with water. It's used to keep the noodles from breaking apart. It sooounds OK, hope I'm not sabotaging my W30 by eating this versatile noodle...after all - konjac is a vegetable?!]

Hi leaC - konjac as the vegetable is fine, konjac that has been turned into flour or starch and then used to create noodles is not. Sorry. Here's a thread about these low calorie noodles that might interest you. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21531-konjac-shirataki-noodles/

• Administrators

I realize these meals are going to elicit some rolled eyes from the moderators!

BUT-I am really intrigued by the idea of fat adaption, and I want to move further in that direction, especially in regard to endurance activities. So the more I think about it the more I want to do a second W30, immediately following this one, and REALLY focus on dialing in the balance of each meal (shoot for at least an 80/20) and figuring out pre/post workout meal/snacks.

Best of luck today, everyone!

Hey Stravajunkie, you bet, those meals were...uh....creative? ;) If you are interested in becoming fat adapted you need to eat full proper meals. Fluctuating as much as you did on this day is not going to allow your hormones to stabilize.

Ugh, morning sickness has hit. All I want is chocolate covered peanuts and I am crabby. I also posted in the Pregnancy/ Breastfeeding forum. I don't know if I can make it another 10 days.

Hey Dem Sorry to hear about morning sickness! Just remember it's not Whole 30 that is causing it ;) and choc covered peanuts will not help it.

BUT bone broth might. I'm not preggys but I felt quite nauseous and lightheaded when I cut out fruit at first due to issues with it. Upon several recommendations on this forum (and another one) I made bone broth and sipped a cup of it in the morning and sometimes with my other meals too. It REALLY helped and tastes good too. It felt like my cells were just sucking up the nourishing vits and mins in it. 

Stick with it! When I'm feeling sickly I tell myself it's just a day, it'll pass. And give yourself a big hug.  <3

Kelly 2015 wow your son bless his heart needs to show a bit more respect for other peeps who also have to eat. Will he listen if you tell him to leave the whole 30 prepped foods alone?

RachelRoberts2 sorry to hear about others pressing buttons - I try not to "overdisclose" my personal eating choices, just say no thanks when something is offered. And if people do know, it's OK to say something like "if you really want to help, stop offering me foods I can't eat." ;)

Also, I've tried coconut butter and don't like it's consistency or taste either. Coconut OIL works way better for me and it melts right in my coffee and makes my coffee taste soooo goood. 

Leah C on the konjac noodles - I've tried kelp noodles. They are just kelp seaweed sliced into noodles, same like slicing zuch or using spag squash as noodles. They are delish - I get them at the local organic food coop. 

Finally, still have the runs (sorry for bluntness but that's what it is). Is this because I might be in keto since most of the starch and all of the fruit is now gone from my diet? What can I do about it?

• Administrators

Finally, still have the runs (sorry for bluntness but that's what it is). Is this because I might be in keto since most of the starch and all of the fruit is now gone from my diet? What can I do about it?

If you are in ketosis and want to be out, you can eat starchy veggies at every meal.  

Happy two-thirds everyone!  (I'm at one-fifth, as I'm determined to do a Whole100)

New breakfast bake recipe (this one rocks): 

-grease glass baking dish with coconut oil

-sautee kale and onion in coconut oil (touch of salt & pepper), add to baking dish

-crumble 6 slices of compliant bacon and sprinkle on top of veggies in baking dish

-beat 6 eggs and pour over veggies & bacon

-cover with alum foil and bake at 350 for about 40 min

- I cut it into four sections, and bring one for breakfast each day  YUM!!!

Super easy Mexican chicken recipe for slow cooker:

-chicken parts (I use boneless breasts)

-compliant salsa (homemade would be great, but I found an organic one that's very good)

-cook for 6 hrs on slow, chicken will be moist and easy to shred

This time, I added some fresh garlic, cilantro and cumin.  Even my kids loved it!

I have been over-munching on nuts this past weekend (I'll blame it on too much time in front of the TV watching football).  Must get that under control, as everything else is going well. 

Off on business trip #2 of the W30 tomorrow (one more next week), and I've already checked the menu at the restaurant where my business dinner will be.  I will have to ask for some accomodation (please don't put any sauce on my steak or veggies!), but I'm ready for it.

Today:

M1:  Breakfast bake, plus one apple, coffee with almond milk

M2:  Baked chicken thighs, avocado, raw cucumbers/carrots/red peppers, hard boiled egg

M3:  Mexican chicken, spaghetti squash 

Have a great day!

Jodi

• Administrators

New breakfast bake recipe (this one rocks): 

-grease glass baking dish with coconut oil

-sautee kale and onion in coconut oil (touch of salt & pepper), add to baking dish

-crumble 6 slices of compliant bacon and sprinkle on top of veggies in baking dish

-beat 6 eggs and pour over veggies & bacon

-cover with alum foil and bake at 350 for about 40 min

- I cut it into four sections, and bring one for breakfast each day  YUM!!!

Hey Jodi, that sounds so delicious. Can you add a few more eggs to it though?  6 eggs divided by four servings is only 1.5 eggs for your breakfast (bacon is considered a fat on Whole30) and the recommendation for optimal Whole30 would be either 1-2 palms of protein or when using eggs, ONE serving is as many as you can hold in your hand...so for most people one serving of eggs is at least 3.

Good afternoon Here,

Day 16 for me, I was MIA too busy with the 5k on Saturday, Volunteer at Medical in the Marathon on Sunday and yesterday I was just exhausted.  I managed to eat at home, pack some "sirloin" sausage patties for the weekend, and I ate a couple of bananas, one each day, considering all the craziness, I did great. 

Today

M1- 3 scrambled eggs w/ onion & tomato in ghee

M2- Ground sirloin patty w/ lettuce, sauerkraut, mustard, kombucha

M3- Sweet potato with salmon, spinach/garlic/ghee & cinnamon

Have a great day you all!

Ok, this is a hard post to write...
I've decided to restart. I'm not getting the results I want out of this whole30, so I've decided to restart and go low-FODMAP. I contemplated doing a whole60 and making it low fodmap from here on out, but I think I would feel like that was cheating. I had hoped to continue fodmap reintroductions through this whole30 while focussing on added sugar and cutting snacking, but I'm not being strict enough and my body isn't healing.
Here's to day 1

Happy two-thirds everyone!  (I'm at one-fifth, as I'm determined to do a Whole100)

Hey Jodi!!

There are a bunch of us doing a whole100 here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23741-a-whole100-starting-january-1st/

The group isn't too chatty but I would love to change that :)

Also, your recipes sound delish, I am going to make the chicken this weekend when I get some spare time :))

I understand your nuts munching. I find that its more out of boredom then actually wanting to eat a meal. I have to stop buying them because they will be gone so fast! Do you buy salted nuts? I have found that raw ones are less likely to be eaten in massive amounts. Now that they aren't in the house in such large quantities I have felt a tonnnn better and have saved a good amount of money to be able to buy really nice grass fed meat :)

Hope you have a great day!

Hi all,

Nice to see more updates and good luck to those re-starting or struggling with unsympathetic feedback!

Posting today because it would've been my Mom's 70th bday, but she passed in '02.  Part of the reason I've grown more into nutrition and what it means to eat healthy is that she likely would still be here if not for being obese and unhealthy as a result. Even though she was a nurse who took great care of her patients, she never took the time to take care of herself.  She did try a lot of the "standard" diet regimes of the day (Slimfast, Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig et.c etc.) and drank more diet soda than I could stomach, but it never seemed to do much good. 

Even though I ate mostly paleo prior, I'm doing this W30 partly for me and partly to have the experience to encourage my sister's and brother's family to consider it as well.  I gave bro the book for his birthday in Dec so we'll see.

Back to today.

M1-2 slices bacon prior to yoga. Large bowl of the last of the bison w/veggies chili after yoga.  
M2 - simple salad with smoked salmon/oysters in Olive oil over romaine.  
M3- large bowl cauliflower/coconut milk/curry soup with crumbled braunschweiger, over small roasted potato.  Snack, plain coconut chips, not toasted, just a couple tablespoons for the crunch.

Cooked broccoli, mushroom, leek, potato, bone broth soup in the slowcooker.  Jarred the last of my sauerkraut batch that I started end of Nov.  Time to buy more cabbage to start another crock. And failed, twice, with the making of mayo.  Will try again next week with a taller jar or smaller bowl.... and thawing a chicken to roast maybe Thu.

Good night all.

Day 20, went nicely.

- I didn't have any problem with my son taking the food. Normally, the kids are really good about not taking the food I have marked," don't eat" but w/30 through him for a loop.

-cinnamon beef stew came from the Well Fed cookbook page 65.

M1, 3 eggs, black olives

M2 Waldorf tuna salad

M3, fresh fish with raw carrots and celery

Have a great night/ day!!

OK day 20 back to posting meals after MIA for a couple days. :)

M1 two scrambled eggs and sausage

M2 huge salad with chicken, salami, carrot, walnuts, 1/2 avo, oil/lemon

M3 silky ginger zucchini soup with chicken pieces and kale in it YUM!! Fried jicama in coconut oil. YUUUUUMMMMM!

Hey Dem Sorry to hear about morning sickness! Just remember it's not Whole 30 that is causing it ;) and choc covered peanuts will not help it.

BUT bone broth might. I'm not preggys but I felt quite nauseous and lightheaded when I cut out fruit at first due to issues with it. Upon several recommendations on this forum (and another one) I made bone broth and sipped a cup of it in the morning and sometimes with my other meals too. It REALLY helped and tastes good too. It felt like my cells were just sucking up the nourishing vits and mins in it. 

Stick with it! When I'm feeling sickly I tell myself it's just a day, it'll pass. And give yourself a big hug.  <3

Thanks Bronnyd. It did pass finally! I was so glad I didn't give in. I was able to eat normal meals the rest of the day. I will try the bone broth.

M1: sweet potato sausage frittata, olives, coffee with coconut milk

M2: two handfuls of cashews and the "comfort zoodles" from clothes make the girl (zoodles plus 3 eggs)

M3: decaf with coconut milk, chicken thighs, spring mix salad with avocado, blueberries

M4: ate pineapple while making it. Hamburger with mustard, pickle,tomato, avocado, onion, fried white potatoes

Hosted a dinner part tonight and had some twinges while my guests drank wine and I drank water, and when they ate ice cream and I ate cherry tomatoes BUT it worked out pretty darn well! :)

Ok, this is a hard post to write...
I've decided to restart. I'm not getting the results I want out of this whole30, so I've decided to restart and go low-FODMAP. I contemplated doing a whole60 and making it low fodmap from here on out, but I think I would feel like that was cheating.

Not sure I get what the cheating part would be if you just decided to ditch FODMAPs from here on out, but I'm sure you know what's best.  Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for the konjc noodle feedback - sigh.....

Am having a  bit of a down day today (what's with 17 year old boys)?? I worked from home in-between shuttling eveyone to doctors/physio appointments (including myself - damn cough), and I feel unappreciated, unmotivated and a little over everything!

The doctor wanted to rule out Whooping Cough (as if), so has given me ventalin to open my airways (brilliant for the W30) and antibiotics to take if the results of my test come back positive. She said I could start the course now, and I did purchase the medication, but I sooooo want to stay W30 compliant, hence my lack of motivation.

I am also meeting 2 girlfriends for 'tea' after dinner tonight. It started out as a catch up over dinner, then we couldn't agree on what to eat and when, and so I threw in the towel and told them I'd meet them after they had eaten. Another reason to feel down... :(

After having an argument with the 17 year old, I just wanted to reach for a glass of wine and some salty chips, but eventually the feeling passed. My downside has been that today's meals have been compliant, but so, so wrong...

M1

A smoothie (yes, drinking my food), almonds, water, babyspinach, banana, ice - satisfying and ticking lot's of food boxes

coconut cofffee

Snack

Raw cashews purchased in the pharmacy

M2

Late lunch at 3.30pm - last night's seafood marinara with non-compliant konjac noodles I now find :(  

Mineral water & lime

M3

Yet to happen...it's almost 7pm, and I'm meeting the girls at 7.30 when I plan to sip mineral water & lime and peppermint tea

I know I should eat - obviously, I am just so not in the mood.

Hoping tomorrow brings rainbows & sunshine to my life and I can get back on track. Still no giving in and I KNOW my body shape is improving every day, so something's working!

Lot's of love to my fantastic community out there - you are all inspirational, especially LeahCarn who has to re-start from today - much love! :wub:

So, I made it through Tuesday. Now I have today, plus Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I will have officially survived. Not the W30, but my work project. Before I list food yesterday, let me put it in context: 10 straight hours of R & D, no lunch break, basically spent the whole day working at the same table in the same room. This week is crunch time, and my crunch time survival method is to eat chewy candy till I can't stand the thought of another bite, (after bags and bags) then collapse at home and sleep till the next day, when the scenario is repeated. The mega stress/responsibility/looming deadline thing is very difficult for me. So even though this looks pretty awful, for me it is a huge accomplishment.

M1didn't happen. Up at 4, left early.

M2 a 2 or 3 cups of cashews over about 8 hours

M3 chicken, green beans and applesauce.

Today will be more sane, better access to food options. Thursday and Friday will be very challenging again, and Saturday is D day. Like I said before, round 1 of this project derailed my first good attempt the W30. Ain't happenin' again.

Good luck to all!

@leaC protein & fat, protein & fat! ;) .............. sucks about the tea time with your friends ... I know it can be hard to be the stick in the mud re: going out. When I do a W30 I usually make a deal with myself that I'll always agree to wherever people want to go, and then I'll find *something* on the menu -- or I won't, and just get coffee. Happened when I was in Chicago for Christmas: whole family was going out to this pizza joint, and I'd resigned myself to no food 'til we were done. But I found on the menu a chicken and steamed veggie dish that worked out perfectly.

Hello There :-) Day 1

Busy day at the office and still weather related headache. Allergy time I guess. 

Today

M1- 3 scrambled eggs w/ spinach in ghee and BPC

M2- Smoked Salmon, Avocado, Green Beans

M3- fajita meat (grilled skirt) w/yuca, peppers/onions

Good energy

Happy Day 21 everyone! Woohoo! Yesterday I was grumpy and tired and really wanting something to make me even more grumpy and tired, like a muffin or some chocolate peanut butter mouse. Yich! 

Thought I would join a forum.. I started the Whole30 on January 2nd (@11:59 PM  :) ) .  Currently on day 18 and feeling AMAZING!  How is everyone else doing?

Hi Dena Welcome! I too am feeling pretty darn good - so much better! LOVING the book It Starts With Food. My body actually feels less inflamed - like I just feel this sense of more wellbeing in my cells - hard to describe. My body is much happier (and so is my mind).

AND I finally seem to be evening out with my poops - actually had a normal BM today. OK enuf about that.

Hosted a dinner part tonight and had some twinges while my guests drank wine and I drank water, and when they ate ice cream and I ate cherry tomatoes BUT it worked out pretty darn well! :)

Not sure I get what the cheating part would be if you just decided to ditch FODMAPs from here on out, but I'm sure you know what's best.  Good luck!

BRAVO Kirkor! Some days those temptations are really up for me (like last weekend) and this program/forum has really really helped me not give in.

Also I agree with your reply to leahcarn - leahcarn, can you combine the two? That's what I'm doing - combining low FODMAP/Specific Carb Diet (SCD) foods with Whole 30 to help my SIBO. Most of the foods on Whole 30 are compatible with low FODMAP/SCD aside from seaweed, sweet potato, and a few other foods. That said, whatever you decide is all good since it really sounds like you're on the right track and open to doing whatever it takes to heal. :)

@leaC - I discovered an expectorant called Air-Power with the natural enzyme Guaifenesin to help break up mucous and stop a cold in its tracks. It really works for me. If you can't find Air-Power and you're interested, look for the enzyme Guaifenesin in a natural foods store in your area. It can't hurt.

Archived