Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Day 23: I've been in a grumpy mood for the last couple of days but I think it's PMT rather than anything diet related. I've been strong and not caved into those 'time of the month' cravings.

I'm sleeping like a log at night and have loads of energy in the day. I did an awesome 45 minute hilly run today and I nailed it. It's a route I haven't done for a while because the hills are brutal.

I'm definitely noticing a more defined jawline and a flatter tummy. My skin also looks much healthier and the weird underarm rash I've had for ages has gone.

Here's to another successful week!

See you at the finish line!!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay Day 23! 7 more days to go and I can have yoghurt! Woohoo!! As said before, I'll move into KetwhOle30 after as that seems like a good forum for what I'm dealing with. Reintroduce goat cheese and dry curd cottage cheese. Because of my SIBO, I haven't been eating fruit and very little starch - although I have a yummy acorn squash roasting right now in oven. :) I'll reintroduce fruit slowly too working with doc.

Today was good, although I'm tired and it's early - just after 8. It's cold and dark outside and I'm in hibernation mode a bit. The cold I was fighting is hardly there - just a twinge. Better than yest - no snotty nose. Wow.

M1 sausage with kale and three fried eggs, Americano with coconut oil

M2 Silky zucch soup with chicken and kale

M3 1/2 small acorn squash, small salmon steak with kale and bacon

I love kale. Also eggs. I went to the organic grocery today after work and was so hungry I was tempted to try a choc covered almond in the bulk section. And look at Lara bars. But NOPE! I got my almonds and got outa there. 

Sleep well everyone. Almost through it!!

I love everyone's posts! No wonder we're all doing so well together..

My allergies are trying to kill me.  Seriously.

I'm allergic to basically everything environmental.  Trees, grass, pollen, dust, cats, dogs, birds, basically anhything that grows....lol

I had read some reviews that the Whole30 has helped with people allergies and I was REALLY looking forward to maybe benefiting from that myself.  I guess right now is just not my time for relief.   :(

PoukieBear, I'm empathetic! I followed up with the Dr today about my long surviving 'tickle cough', and he told me this was due to alergies - most probably (as you describe), grass, dust, mould, animals. I laughed and said "well even if I have a blood test to find out what I'm alergic to, I will still have to live with grass, dust, mould and my animals" LOL!!! Anyway, was prescribed with a couple of fairly harmless ways to deal with the symptoms and so I push on with my Whole30 - unperturbed...

I have noticed that I am much more productive at work, starting extra projects that I previously felt too tired to mess with......so of course that elevates my mood and makes me feel proud.

Fit_boymom, I too have noticed that I am more productive at work - what a relief! I think giving up the alcohol and other brain blurring foods has shown me that I was really only functioning at around 50% of my capacity, when now I feel like it's around 85-90% - success!

Ugh. After a rotten couple of days (in which the cat broke her leg and needed expensive orthopaedic surgery to fix it, I got a cold, and had another health scare which is still being checked out), I just want to run and hide, taking with me a pizza, a bottle of wine, and a bowl of ice cream. It's not the answer, though, right...? Heavy sigh. Makes me realise just how much I rely on food to prop me through rough times.

Sorry for the doom and gloom. On a positive note, I'm NOT going to eat any of that rubbish which will after all only give me a very short-term fix, after which I would feel completely rotten for at least the next day or two.

Sunflour, I can also relate to that feeling and the thought of wanting to go back to old ways for a quick fix! Aren't you glad you didn't succumb! Your fleeting thought to give in was over in a short time, wasn't it...! ;) Believe me, you'll get out of the slump soon. I had a couple of down days, and TODAY I'M ALMOST FEELING TIGER BLOOD INFUSED! Less than a week to go and I know we've all got this (+ we've got each other) - Thank you! :wub:

Came across a version of this saying in another context, thought my fellow January W30s would appreciate it:

"I'm so glad I compromised my goals" -- said no one ever!

I appreciate it Kirkor...."never a truer work spoken"!

Last post for the evening, I had to share my amazing dinner menu:-

Grassfed Butterflied Lamb – grilled

Roasted vegies in balsamic & olive oil (zucchini, olives, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, pinenuts)

Baked purple sweet potato with ghee & cinnamon

3 dates stuffed with almonds

End of day 24, all down hill from here!

KEEP POSTING EVERYONE....

Yesterday I felt down all day. I ate an orange after dinner just because I wanted a sweet pick-me-up. Of course it didn't make me feel better. It's just hard because I am so tired all day because of this pregnancy. I don't have the energy to do everything I want to do right now. I feel like deep cleaning my house but I can't get far with the kids. I did wash the outside windows yesterday. I know eating compliant is the best thing I can do for myself but my family's spaghetti noodles looked so good last night. I started thinking about how good wheat tastes, just the perfect base for yummy pasta sauces and cheese. Instead I ate some pad Thai with extra kale since I didn't have enough spaghetti squash. It was good but I wanted more than I cooked. Might make more today. Also hoping to get to the mayo that I forgot about yesterday, and another batch of tuna patties. I am planning to bring them with me to town on Monday. I am going to my first ultrasound! Crossing my fingers there's just one baby in there this time.

M1: coffee with coconut milk, 3 fried eggs,3 PC bacon, kale

M2: 4 tuna patties

M3: paleo pad Thai with extra kale

M4: paleo pad Thai with extra kale, orange

I have a ton of kale that expires today, what are your favorite kale recipes?

Day 24: Still grumpy but still sticking to the whole 30. I asked my husband if I'm grumpier than usual for this 'time of the month'....he said that I'm about the same but last night I was unbearable!!! Thing is....usually he'd keep a safe distance and make sure there was chocolate and red wine in the house which would take the edge off!!! Last night, he went upstairs to watch footy and left me downstairs fuming inwardly and watching 'Grey's Anatomy' box sets.

So if I can get through this weekend with raging hormones (and period pain) without caving into temptation then I'm capable of doing this!

I'm so looking forward to taking my 'after' pictures, weight and measurements. I'll post them on here on 1st Feb. I know that's 31 days rather than 30 but I've decided to do photos/measurements/weight every 1st of the month until I'm where I want to be weight/body composition/size wise.

Who else is going to post their results??? It'll be fun to see how well everyone has done, whether that's losing weight, increasing fitness, improving health conditions or simply feeling happier and more energetic.

I'm really proud to have got to 24 days and I know now that I can be Whole 30!!!!

Yesterday I felt down all day. I ate an orange after dinner just because I wanted a sweet pick-me-up. Of course it didn't make me feel better. It's just hard because I am so tired all day because of this pregnancy. I don't have the energy to do everything I want to do right now. I feel like deep cleaning my house but I can't get far with the kids.

I have a ton of kale that expires today, what are your favorite kale recipes?

Hi Dem, sorry to hear you're feeling a bit flat at the moment - sounds like you're reaching out for support (which you have with all of us!) Quite frankly, I'm

amazed that you had the strength to attempt a Whole30 whilst pregnant, and even more proud of you for being able to see it through....let's face it, you'll finish this easy peasy - it's less than a week to the finish line so keep up the good work! As for Kale recipes, they ONLY way I eat Kale is to make Kale Chips. If you missed my previous post, here's the ultimate fool-proof recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/12/6-tips-for-flawless-kale-chips-all-dressed-kale-chips-recipe/ my ‘sprinkle’ consists of raw cashews chopped in the food processor, nutritional yeast, sea salt & paprika. Coated kale in macadamia nut oil. xx

Who else is going to post their results??? It'll be fun to see how well everyone has done, whether that's losing weight, increasing fitness, improving health conditions or simply feeling happier and more energetic.

Hey mumontherun, I'm hoping that EVERYONE in this forum will post their final stats (whether that means adding a photo or not - a matter of choice I guess). I too can't wait to read all the amazing results....

Happy Day 25 everyone!

Hi Dem, sorry to hear you're feeling a bit flat at the moment - sounds like you're reaching out for support (which you have with all of us!) Quite frankly, I'm

amazed that you had the strength to attempt a Whole30 whilst pregnant, and even more proud of you for being able to see it through....let's face it, you'll finish this easy peasy - it's less than a week to the finish line so keep up the good work! As for Kale recipes, they ONLY way I eat Kale is to make Kale Chips. If you missed my previous post, here's the ultimate fool-proof recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/12/6-tips-for-flawless-kale-chips-all-dressed-kale-chips-recipe/ my ‘sprinkle’ consists of raw cashews chopped in the food processor, nutritional yeast, sea salt & paprika. Coated kale in macadamia nut oil. xx[/size]!

Heheh, I didn't realize I was pregnant til partway through! Thank you for the kind words. I am sitting here feeling sorry for myself because my family's frozen pizza smells so good and I don't feel like cooking. The first trimester totally derailed me last time. I craved wheat so bad. I am telling myself that eating it really won't make me feel better and in fact will make me feel worse. Also reminding myself that after my November whole30 it made me pretty nauseous to eat off-plan foods. I just wish Sarah Fragoso or Melissa Joulwan would come over and cook me something amazing. :)

Day 24. Still going strong. I even have my husband cooking W30. His favorite saying is, "everything on the table is compliant". It has been a couple days since I checked in, life just got busy.

M1 Sweet potatoes, sausage, nuts

M2 ham and celery

M3 chicken, broccoli and nuts

I have run into quite a bit of naysayers, and they seem to be the more educated........ To me it seems they're education put them in a box and they don't seem to think out side the box. I don't know if that makes sense to you.

I am sorry some many people on this forum aren't feeling well. Healthy thoughts to well!

Have a great night/day

I have run into quite a bit of naysayers, and they seem to be the more educated........ To me it seems they're education put them in a box and they don't seem to think out side the box. I don't know if that makes sense to you.

Like, 'paleo is a fad', 'everything in moderation'-type naysayers?

I just wish Sarah Fragoso or Melissa Joulwan would come over and cook me something amazing. :)

I'm with you - can someone invent a Whole30 drive-through please!

Kelly, don't worry about the naysayers....I've tried so many differnt eating regimes over time that I try to keep my personal eating plans on the low-down now. If it does come up in conversation and you get that negative nelly remark, just shrug it off - each to their own! When I went to dinner this week with my 2 friends, one of them (the ultra tiny, eats like a sparrow one), commented that "you shouldn't drink coconut milk, it's high in saturated fat, but the oil is good for you" AND "Oh no, you're not eating loads of bacon are you?" to which I ended up smiling, shrugging my shoulders and changing the subject, I couldn't be bothered explaining my side of the story to someone that doesn't want to listen...she's been on the 'bacon is bad for you' band-wagon for a long time now!

Todays Meals looked like this:

M1

2 fried eggs, mushrooms, leftover (chicken & zucchini mine + fish sauce + pine nuts), ½ grapefruit

Snack

Apple crisps, coconut flakes, mixed nuts, Apple iced tea

M2

Potato, leek & prosciutto soup, 2 soft boiled eggs

Kombucha

M3

John Dory fish fillets in coconut flour, & garlic prawns, fried in ghee & macadamia nut oil

Roast potato & purple sweet potato cooked in duck fat

“Life in a Jar” Organic Cultured Vegetables (Red Cabbage, Carrots, Fennel)

Lettuce with homemade Caesar dressing (homemade mayo, coconut aminos, fish sauce, apple cider vinegar, salt & pepper)

(I've just dished up hubby an individual hot apple & custard pie with cold custard & icecream. I'm drinking a glass of mineral water....what's wrong with this picture?) :wacko: 

Well this is an embarrassing post to write. I caved last night and ate the pizza. And washed it down with chocolate. It was good but I still felt nauseous. I had a harder time getting up in the middle of the night to get my son back to sleep. And I woke up with a scratchy throat, like the beginning of a cold. Now I don't feel so nauseous. I debated with myself over what to do. I decided I am going to get back on the horse and keep going as long as I can. I know it's going to be hard because of the pregnancy but I want to nourish myself and the baby as best I can. So, happy day 1 to me!

Yesterday's meals before the pizza:

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, 3 PC bacon, kale, coffee with coconut milk

M2: paleo pad Thai

M3: 3 tuna patties, guacamole (mini meal)

M4: Italian spaghetti squash and turkey bake with olives

Now off to make one of my favorite breakfasts, hamburger with fried egg on a bed of greens.

Kelly about naysayers - bah humbug they say. Their problem, educated egotisticals - yes their egos put them in a box - more like a fish bowl called their own heads. Nothing wrong with education, but our human egos are so easily fed - not just with the food we eat :) but with the masks we create to appear a certain way.... makes people talk at you rather than with you.

Can you hear a bit of irritation :huh: ? That's my own ego being triggered I guess. I try not to engage if people try to lecture/impose their unasked for opinion (easier said than done). I have imagined me saying with a smile and a light heart, "Did I ask you for your opinion?" Someday.....

LeaC those fish fillets fried in ghee and macoil sound exquisite! Going to try.

Dem sorry to hear about your pizza/chocolate breakdown - at first I was thinking you would say, "... and then I woke up!". Ah well, we are imperfect human beings. Good to hear you're getting back on the horse after falling! Kirkor's question is right on - when Temptation raises her head, what to do differently?

Went to a potluck dance last night and the whole table was filled with stuff I couldn't eat - chips, crackers, dips, cheese, sweets, etc etc etc - there was ONE plate with carrots, olives, celery, tomatoes. I ate a few olives and some baby carrots and celery, went back to dancing. Came home famished so ate some compliant salami and handful of home-roasted almonds.

Then promptly fell asleep and had several food dreams ... one about these little mini cookies I found at a party and I kept trying to make them compliant -- but these are gluten free I can eat them! No they have sugar. No, they're fruit sweetened I can eat them! No, they're made of grain I can't. No they're made of almond flour! No, they are cookies and cookies do not equal compliant. I ate them and justified by saying something like "ah, 25 days, 30 days, what's the dif?" But I could not deny that I felt bad about it.

And once again woke up really grateful I was just dreaming. Wish I could know I was dreaming and just chow down!

I tried cauliflour rice yesterday and although it was really really good, my gut started feeling funny soon after. I looked on the FODMAP and sure enough, cauliflour is high on the list. Bad for SIBO. Should have known! Wah. Need to remind self that I'm doing Whole30/low FODMAP so that I can have a life. And I DO feel tons better. Whole 30 is just the beginning of a new adventure. :)

Realize I didn't record meals from Friday, so just will just say that I had fish for dinner (it's expensive) - salmon with squash. SO good. I'm going to have fish once a week now. I've been taking fish oil three times a day, which really seems to help - but the actual fish, and skin as well, was so satisfying.

Yesterdays meals were a bit off timing-wise:

M1 scrambled eggs and sausage/kale

M2 beef short ribs with cauliflour rice, handful almonds

Late night snack of olives, mini carrots/celery, salami and almonds.

Congrats everyone and keep on! xoxb

amazed that you had the strength to attempt a Whole30 whilst pregnant, and even more proud of you for being able to see it through....let's face it, you'll finish this easy peasy - it's less than a week to the finish line so keep up the good work! As for Kale recipes, they ONLY way I eat Kale is to make Kale Chips.

Dem, I second this! You're doing great! We had kale chips last night for the first time with some salsa, they were pretty good, though I thought a lot of input for not a ton of output. Hubs and I liked that they were chip-ish but we really didn't want to eat them without abandon.

*phew* finally caught up on reading all the posts I missed over the last few days. I'm glad to see everyone is hanging in there despite lots of challenges. 

I myself am experiencing a back slide. I haven't had any problems staying compliant, this way of eating is feeling pretty normal right now. But my god, I woke up broken out all over my shoulders, and I'm bloated after every meal. The rash under my nose is back (ow!) and the rash on my finger isn't going anywhere, nor are my ruddy cheeks, and my raynaud's is worse then ever, especially on my right hand and foot. What gives? Plus my mood is all over the place, no where near that time of the month so I don't have that to blame either.

I've got two theories:

1) I've been eating more fruit- like snacky grabbing grapes or pineapple slices while I'm cooking or after dinner, sneaking a scoop of raisins from the pantry. I'm probably around 3-4 servings a day and I was faithful to 1-2 mostly added to meals at the beginning. Could that be the cause of all this grief?

2) I cut out butter after noticing a decrease in redness without it. I still have less redness than usual, though there hasn't been any *further* decrease. What I'm wondering is if my timeline restarted if the clarified butter was that disruptive. I'd be on day 8 if that were the case, in the midst of the bloatyness and lining up with the "kill all things" that I had the past few days... but psychologically I should be through all that, no? 

I'm feeling pretty frustrated, but still trying to embrace the experience. I was thinking of going into the AIP protocol, but at this point I don't think I could commit to that. Perhaps another time. I am ready for reintroduction, but I think my cooking has benefited the most from all this and I expect to stay pretty "clean"/paleo. Right now I would love to get away from the kitchen, I am so tired of cooking every meal.

Update Week 2 and week 3,

By the end of week 2, a few things I noticed were my allergy and asthma issues.  It appears that the allergy had calmed down a lot more with eating clean consistently and using ingredients that are paleo compliant--no added sugar and other additives such as MSG.  The challenge for me was in understanding and  knowing how to read labels and catching the sneaky names for sugars.  I have not yet learned other names for MSG, for now, to be on the safe side, if I wasn't sure, I didn't buy the product or particular seasonings, to stay true to the program.  In preparing my food, I have stuck to different spices that are available thankfully in our local market in bulk and have enjoyed preparing nutritious, delicious meals using different spices available at my disposal.  Another improvement I noticed is a glow in my complexion.  My facial skin are a lot less oily and had cleared up.  It maybe due to eating clean and holding off on wearing make-up, which helped my facial skin to detox as well.

The end of week two I had three tooth extracted and regardless of the circumstance, I am committed to sticking with the Whole30 program.  Though I got sick the first few days after extraction and hard to chew some foods, I had to make adjustments towards week 3 of my meals.  I ate mostly broth with tender meat that's been cooked for hours in the crock pot and it was hard to chew some vegetables and therefore, I reduced my vegetable consumption for a few days and ate a little bit more bananas, three a day, since it is easier to bite into and chew.  I incorporated vegetables back again into my meals slowly and increasingly, even if it took an hour to finish a healthy meal.  

The challenge I had the last two weeks were again, the cravings for chocolates, sweets, sugars and missing coffee with creamer.  While I am aware of the cravings and the trickery of my mind, I did not give in to its demands (sweets).  I find it interesting that the mind is very attached to sugars for immediate gratification.  As we approach week 4, I have come to accept that it may take more than 30 days to tame my chocolate mind,  :D  :lol:   So far with the Whole30 program, I believe I will continue to form habit of eating consciously and mindfully. continue to learn to read labels and discern what really is healthy for us to consume versus the pseudo-healthy types of food.

Why am I so addicted to reading these posts guys??!! :wub:  I'm slightly concerned about leaving this community at the end of our experience - LOL!

Well this is an embarrassing post to write. I caved last night and ate the pizza. And washed it down with chocolate. It was good but I still felt nauseous. I had a harder time getting up in the middle of the night to get my son back to sleep. And I woke up with a scratchy throat, like the beginning of a cold. Now I don't feel so nauseous. I debated with myself over what to do. I decided I am going to get back on the horse and keep going as long as I can. I know it's going to be hard because of the pregnancy but I want to nourish myself and the baby as best I can. So, happy day 1 to me!

Dem, great resolve...it shows a lot of courage and strength to stumble on the way and get back up again and keep going. Remember, this is not a race, it's a journey and who gets there first is only determined by when they started and is ONLY relevant to that person. If this is important to you then Happy Day 1 for you also! I know a few people have had to start over on this thread and to be announcing it to the group is being honest with yourself! (Leahcarn & others who restarted - I hope you're also staying strong, let us know). Just think, if any of us in this group do a Whole60, you'll be waaay ahead of us!!!

1) I've been eating more fruit- like snacky grabbing grapes or pineapple slices while I'm cooking or after dinner, sneaking a scoop of raisins from the pantry. I'm probably around 3-4 servings a day and I was faithful to 1-2 mostly added to meals at the beginning. Could that be the cause of all this grief?

Sunsoakeddreamer - here in Australia, apart from organic grapes, they all say 'contains sulphites' (which I Googled & it means they help keep the fruit's colour etc). So hard to find grapes that don't contain sulphites. Are your grapes compliant? + raisins are just dried grapes...double whammy?

Last night when I served up a 'Caesar Salad in a bag' salad to my family, I rescued the cos lettuce so I could make my own compliant version. I whipped up a quick dressing and was just about to add some proscuitto when I found the pack I had bought was NOT compliant - sighhhhh, ended up eating the lettuce & dressing and sadly it only half resembled a Caesar Salad! Shows how anal I have become on this journey, I'm too scared to mindfully eat the wrong food and am doing my best to have a 'better safe than sorry' attitude towards foods I'm unsure of.

Like Sunsoakeddreamer, I'm really enjoying this paleoesque way of eating and hope to continue with it's philosophies into the future (with the odd detour here and there of course) - we're all human!

I forgot to mention, the other night I ordered my copy of ISWF. I thought that if I wanted to continue this way after my Whole30, I really needed to get some reading done. Hillariously, the book cost around AUD$23, but I ended up paying around AUD$40 for the postage because I wanted it in my hands within a week (ie: around the time my Whole 30 journey is complete). Rather an extravagance but I'm kind of an impatient person - can't wait to receive it!

HAPPY DAY 26 EVERYONE and HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY today!!!

I forgot to mention, the other night I ordered my copy of ISWF. I thought that if I wanted to continue this way after my Whole30, I really needed to get some reading done. Hillariously, the book cost around AUD$23, but I ended up paying around AUD$40 for the postage because I wanted it in my hands within a week (ie: around the time my Whole 30 journey is complete). Rather an extravagance but I'm kind of an impatient person - can't wait to receive it!

Sounds like a perfect gift to reward yourself for a Whole30 well done! 

Also, re: the grapes,  I believe all grapes have naturally occurring sulphites? There are no sulphites listed on either ingredient panel so I think I'm good, but I plan to slow down on both just in case.

OK I just have to share - one of my dear housemates came up from downstairs with a homemade muffin made with almond meal, coconut oil and fruit. I had to tell her no because of the fruit.

I didn't go beyond telling her that muffins were also "noncompliant" as that would take some explaining. She does know I have SIBO and we are good friends but we don't eat together often and our diets are fairly different.

She makes kimchi and sauerkraut and I told her I had a craving for sauerkraut. So instead of the muffin, she gave me a whole jar of homemade sauerkraut!!

I love her.

Today I just had two meals as the first one was late:

M1 three eggs and sage sausage/bacon pieces/collard greens

M2 braised beef ribs, collards and sauerkraut! yummmmmmm

Relieved that it's Sunday night b/c weekends are the hardest for me. My husband has been following a loosely Paleo diet during my W30 as an encouragement to me and for our food prep today he smoked two racks of ribs and some chicken drums....YUMMO! Eating will be even more fun this week w/those meats to chose from! Since he is not doing the W30 he has weighed himself along the way and that turkey has lost 10 lbs this month!!! GRR! Hoping my numbers are as good or better! We went for a 3 mi run yesterday and I was sore today despite working out consistently this month at the gym.

I plan to weigh myself, take pics, and measurements Sat or Sun (our wknds are so busy w/our kids sports that it may be Sunday before I get to it) but at any rate, do those things to measure progress, then keep on keeping on for my next W30, no cheats, just keeping on working through my food issues. So for people who plan to keep going, I hope that this forum will continue to be active b/c it has been a big help to me these first (almost) 30 days. Finish strong everyone!

I'm going strong again, after really wanting to jump off the wagon over the weekend. I agree about them being the hardest time. Finish strong, start strong? Whatever I'm doing I'm back in the zone. (Day 25/dedicated low fodmap day 5). On the 7th-8th of March I have an endurance walk I'm training for, and when I finish I'm going to reward myself with an "I am Whole30" singlet for workouts. It will be the first time I've ever bought dedicated workout clothes, unless I buy some sports bras before then lol

Archived