Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 26: Feeling really great!!!! My PMT/period pain has gone and I didn't turn to comfort eating or wine to deal with it over the weekend. I just dealt with it! This morning I nailed an hour long hilly run and I got in the zone....it felt like magic. All this on a breakfast of 3 boiled eggs (chopped up and mixed with a little clarified butter, salt & black pepper) and black coffee. Who says you need carbs to run?

We are so doing this!!!!

Thank you kirkor, Bronnyd, sunsoaked dreamer, leaC for your encouragement. Kirkor, your question really made me wake up and think. I didn't really have a good answer at first. But then later I started feeling the cravings again and I got rid of them by reading some positive birth stories. So there's my solution! See, I had a c/section last time and I'm hoping to avoid that this time. Reading those stories reminded me that I really need to take care of myself so I have the best chance of achieving my goal.

Yesterday's meals:

M1: hamburger with fried egg, beet greens, coffee with coconut milk

M2: half a hamburger, 1 chicken wing, mixed greens salad.

M3: 2 tuna patties, a little chicken with homemade mayo (omg I am in love), raw carrots

M4: salmon patty with mayo, butternut squash fries with mayo, a little bit of fried potatoes, green salad with mayo for dressing

So yeah, I am slightly obsessed with my homemade mayo. I am planning to cook up a couple salmon patties to take with me today and I am totally bringing my mayo.

well, so glad to see everyone is still alive here and doing well. Day 24 for me. I MADE IT THROUGH MY PROJECT. I'm probably about as proud of that as anything I've ever done, as silly as that might sound. Things didn't turn out terribly, but not perfect either, and I was able to tell myself that this feeling will pass, but the reality of throwing in the towel won't. And I didn't. I'm not going to go back and list the last 3 or so day's meals, but they were surprisingly balanced-no access to unlimited nuts and dried fruit helped :)

Yesterday:

M1 2 eggs and carrot sticks

M2 sausage, eggs and green salad

M3 Sweet potato, raisins and some almond butter

I know M3 was high carb, I know. I went for a ride yesterday afternoon, and I've actually had almost no carbs (other than green veggies) the last several days. I could tell when I got back my body was SCREAMING for carbs. So I did the above, rather than diving into the buttered popcorn we were using for our family movie night....

Great job everyone, kudos Dem for keeping on keeping on....you can do this, and yes, the VBAC thing is possible too-as many of my friends would attest :) Just find a supportive OB.

I'm still planning on rolling into a whole 60 immediately following this. I've never managed to 'eat clean' this long, and I want to make sure I can keep building this habit. I feel like I need the parameters. I also want to nail the balanced meal thing better, because I know I'd experience more of the benefits of this program by doing so.

Congrats to those of you who will be wrapping this up this week!!

I can't wait for my lunch today!  Leftovers from last night, Sausage and Sweet Pepper Skillet.  MMMMMMM!......

I found myself really wanting to much on something last night because I was bored.  I've always been a bored eater, and have gained a lot of weight because of it.  Instead, I picked out a new crochet pattern, and started a baby blankie for no good reason other than to stop myself from eating.  LOL

Yesterdays meals.

M1: 2 Fried eggs with leftover Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet.

http://smilesandwich.com/2014/07/25/amish-one-pan-ground-beef-and-cabbage-skillet/

M2: Thai Curry Soup

http://meatified.com/thai-chicken-soup/

M3:  Sausage and Sweet Peppet Skillet.

http://lexiscleankitchen.com/2013/08/28/sausage-peppers-onions/

Yaaay Dem! You go girl. Do you have replacement snacks for those cravings - like frozen blueberries (or any berries really), fried plantain, AND something fatty like bacon or veggies stir fried in lots of coconut oil? Also - funny but I've been reading testimonials to keep me inspired and motivated and didn't even think to share :/  but here's one I just read that I think you might enjoy :).

I too find myself wanting to cheat on the weekends and/or when I'm either feeling down/bored/tired, poukiebear, fitboymom and leahcarn, esp. at night. COOL about crochet and keeping hands busy! And being creative too. And exercise (which I need to do more) :) Last night was one of those tired/clumpy moments for me. I hunkered down with a good book and chowed on a palm-sized pile of fried, fatty bacon pieces and a handful of almonds. It's the most fattening snack that leaves me feeling really comforted and satisfied. Lo and behold, my tummy is still shrinking!

I might start sharing some testimonials that I find really inspiring like this one - why not? I just read it over breakfast.

Yaay Stravajunkie - CONGRATS on making it through project and staying clean!! I really like what you said about needing parameters to build new habit. That's what I really like about Whole 30 is the clear parameters and clarity in general. I'm sticking with it too - this forum really helps! (And bacon. Bacon really helps.)

Time to face the friendly facts, as a friends of mine likes to say. :)

GO mumontherun! WOOHOO! I used to eat chocolate and drink wine over my PMT. Not any more!! And Kelly2015 good to have nothing to report aside from meals and a nice day!! That's what I'm shooting for.

However I do have something to report - this morning I'm back to - er - the runs again. I think it's the cauliflower.  High on FODMAP and bad for SIBO and I had a lot of it on Saturday. Felt a bit gloopy yesterday and now today I have full-blown diarrhea. So I gave my housemate the rest of my cauliflower and broccoli. Wah. Ah well, I can have kale and collards, which I love, Thank Goddess.

It's all an exploration. I'm learning.

Thanks for the reminder Kirkor, only 4 days left for me now! It's a little scary thinking about the end of this adventure and trying not to re-gain lost weight - any tips out there? I hope to get my copy of ISWF on Friday which I'm sure has a little more info than the W30 website about what happens after...

I told hubby yesterday that I wanted to continue on a *mainly paleo diet after this (*I can't pledge to 100% paleo committment - there needs to be some reality to a new lifestyle choice). 

Last night was an interesting state of affairs! I dropped son #2 at a friend's house, then stopped off at two fast food outlets (one which sells chicken, and one which sells burgers!!!!!!!), and purchased 'dinner' for son #1 and hubby. After returning home with bags of steaming hot junk food and starving hungry myself, I proceeded to make the Bora Bora Fireballs (sans the 'fire') & Sunshine Sauce from clothesmakethegirl, so it was another hour + before I sat down to my own dinner NOT FAST FOOD AT ALL - sighhhhh!

Re: Bronny's comment about 'bowl motions'....

However I do have something to report - this morning I'm back to - er - the runs again. I think it's the cauliflower.  High on FODMAP and bad for SIBO and I had a lot of it on Saturday. Felt a bit gloopy yesterday and now today I have full-blown diarrhea. So I gave my housemate the rest of my cauliflower and broccoli.

I too have experienced less than perfect bathroom visits - especially over the past 5 or so days. Wondering if it's all the Kombucha + occasional fermented foods I've been consuming of late? I thought it would help speed up my gut healing process, but if a perfect bowel motion is any indication of a healthy gut, I'm way off! Does anyone have an enightened opion on what healthy gut indicator is and how where this should show up in the 'timeline'?

Breakfast today - 1 bora bora fireball, a little sunshine sauce (tip, don't microwave the sauce later - it turns into a 'cake' - LOL!), 1 tablespoon of fermented vegies - 'Life in a Jar' (maybe I'm overdoiong it on all the living food?) + scrambled eggs with nutritional yeast - ohh and 2 coconut coffees!!! :o

Not long to go now - woo hoo!

Everyone is going so well! Woohoo Day 26 for me. I haven't been on this forum much but thought I would check in. I honestly can't believe I only have 4 days left. This experience has put me in connection with myself and with food again and I am so grateful. At Day 26 I feel that I am now fine tuning because I've really deepened my knowledge of my triggers and sensitivities. I made a big jump from 4-5 milky coffees a day to 1 (2 max) black a day. I haven't reached all my goals within 30 days so I know that the next step is to ditch the coffee altogether if I really want to heal my gut and I feel so ready. I know that I can do it because sticking to this program has given me the confidence that I can change anything I put my mind to. 

X

I am after some help for a colleague of mine who has Lupis.  I am kind of thinking that perhaps a Whole30 might help her, but wonder if there of you out there who suffer from Lupis and have seen success from Whole30 with this condition?  Welcome any help that you can give me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Good morning everyone!

Yesterday's meals:

M1 3 eggs and salsa

M2 Almonds and raisins

M3 sausage and veggie soup.

Yes: bad. BUT-I just committed to starting a 2nd round of 30 days on the 'starting Feb 1st' thread. Feb 1 will be day 30 for me, and I need more time in the incubator before going for the re-introduction. This time around (and yes, starting now as well) I really want to focus on the template meals.

Bronnyd, your love of bacon made me laugh out loud :) I heartily agree, one of God's greater gifts to mankind! On a serious note though, your observation that a lot of fat in a snack helps to find that satisfied feeling is true. When I almost can't resist whatever sweet and yummy thing my kids or husband have floating around the house, I'll make a sweet potato with TONS of coconut oil and salt/cinnamon. Kills the cravings, but w/o the fat, it doesn't work.

Great day everybody! SO happy for you folks that are almost wrapping this thing up-kudos!

Morning all, day 27! What? I woke up this morning to shovel about that many inches of snow. Hubs and I enjoyed a hearty breakfast afterward- I had a banana and hubs had l/o roasted veggies to hold us while I cooked up pork, shredded sweet potato and apple hash, with eggs (I was so hungry I was tempted to make the whole dozen!). Glad we're home from work today, my fridge is fully stocked with good foods and left overs so I'm on cruise control through these last few days. We are also talking about post whole30, I think we'll stay nearly 100% paleo at home (plus some occasional wine), but allow more flexibility on our infrequent meals away from home.

leac and Bronny re: bm problems... I was having a lot of issues early on, and I felt a lot better adding more starches, white or red potatoes on work out days, and sweet potatoes and squashes almost every day. A little goes a long way I think. You'd think the living foods would be helping- gut bacteria- but I guess they do say it's hard to know what the right balance is? I've been trying to eat a spoonful of sauer kraut every day but it makes me weak in the knees its so yucky! Is there something I can put with it to make it more edible?? I'm gagging just thinking about my next dose *shudder*

I had my first bad headache of my whole 30 yesterday, I always get migraines when we have a big shift in the weather, something about atmospheric pressure? I guess even eating really well wont save me from that, but it seemed much more mild, more livable, then usual. Feeling much better today and empowered to start planning my reintroduction phase.

I just LOVE reading this forum! Love everyone's posts. And yes, I think I love Whole 30. OK so I've been tossing the word love around a bit. But it's true, damnit.  

Am enjoying videos sent by Whole 30 Daily (paid subscription but well worth it - $15 for the month and I'm a teacher so not rich) like ode to the brain and the vegetable orchestra (eat your veggies!). Ode to the Brain is the FIRST time (and probably only) I enjoyed computerized vocals. I think they used their real voices and tweaked the tone/rhythm a bit. That's cool. Has anyone seen Jill Bolt Taylor in her TED talk about her stroke? She is a brain researcher who had a stroke and survived to not just tell about it but study it while it was happening! She's the chorus in Ode. 

I think our guts are our true brains. I'm thinking more clearly, feeling more creatively inspired and alive since I started this and I really think it's because my gut is happier. My gut/body knows I'm committed to treating it with a bit more respect - setting aside my ego and willful ignorance. 

LeaC I hope your husband/sons support you! And good for you for sticking with it and not giving in to fast junk food. Eventually they'll see how well you're doing and maybe even join in - maybe not but you never know....

Stravajunkie - YES fat really helps my cravings and snacking!! I am going to bake a squash today and do the same thing with coconut oil - great idea! :)

Sunsoakeddreamer - my dear, no reason to force yourself to eat something you don't like!  I LOVE sauerkraut and so no prob there but I know many peeps who won't go near any fermented cabbage. I'm a little better today so do think it was the cauliflower - although am going to eat a bit more starch with squash and see. Yes it is about finding that balance, which just takes diligence and an open mind. 

Just four more days and we can eat junk food again! Wooohoooo! 

Kidding. 

That said, I am realizing I need to clarify big time what day 31 is going to look like for me. Nothing different - except maybe a bit of home made yoghurt fermented for 24 hours (SCD yoghurt). Because I'm hearing little whispers of oooo chocolaaate and mmmm tooooast. Veeery clever, brain. Am thinking of a special treat but only something I know my gut will be ok with. I don't know yet what that'll be - but it won't be grain/sugar/alcohol - maybe a homemade muffin from my housemate (made with almond flour and fruit sweetened). :)

Now that we are nearing the end of th 30 days, is anyone else getting scared of the re-introductions phase?  I don't know why, but I am!  

Can we start a new thread in the Reintroduction forum and all move over there, please?  LOL  I need my People with me!

Todays menu

M1:  Avocado wrapped in chicken slices. Roasted butternut Squash.

http://drlill.flat3rth.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130617-214515.jpg

M2: Leftover Tikka Masala on Coliflour "rice"

http://www.lifemadefull.com/2012/10/03/dairy-free-chicken-tikka-masala/  (Just leave out the honey in this recipe)

M3: Bufalow Chicken Lettuce Wraps.  (a staple in our house, even before the Whole30)  (Also, leave out the cheese and ranch dressing)

http://www.ellaclaireinspired.com/buffalo-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

Bronnyd, when I finished my last whole30 I blended a frozen banana in a blender and ate that, then moved into reintroductions.

PoukieBear I have my own fodmap reintroduction thread but is be happy if we started a group one for support at well

Can we start a new thread in the Reintroduction forum and all move over there, please? LOL I need my People with me!

Poukiebear & leahcarn, I'm in on the new re-introduction thread - if someone starts one & posts the link in this thread I'll join today, come on guys, we DO need all our peeps with us! Sorry stravajunkie but I don't think my W30 journey needs to extend to another 30 days, I'll be on my own journey from here (but I wish you the best of luck)!

LeaC I hope your husband/sons support you! And good for you for sticking with it and not giving in to fast junk food. Eventually they'll see how well you're doing and maybe even join in - maybe not but you never know....

Hey bronnyd, you're right on target, my aim is to show (in numbers, photos & energy), my boys/hubby how well I've done and to coax them into trying it for themselves. I may have mentioned before???? but when I did 'Dukan' about 4 years ago, my husband was amazed at how I'd lost 7 kg in a couple of months, and so he gave it a go. He also lost weight - around 12kg, so I know if he sees me stick at something and it works that he can do it also.

W30 might be a little tougher with one of the aims being to break bad eating/drinking habits. He's a serial snacker when at home (doesn't sit on the couch for more than 30 mins without getting up for a coffee or junk food snack). HOWEVER, if I can break my drinking habit (shamefully a bottle of wine a night pre W30), then he should be able to demonstrate the same level of self control, you'd think....alcool06.gifdrinking-wine-smiley-emoticon.gif PS: my boys' diets could do with an overhaul too, but that's a totally differnet kettle of fish... ;)

leac and Bronny re: bm problems... I was having a lot of issues early on, and I felt a lot better adding more starches, white or red potatoes on work out days, and sweet potatoes and squashes almost every day. A little goes a long way I think.

Sunsoakeddreamer...great tip re: bm + starches, I'll give that a shot! Sorry to hear about your headache - you're right though, sometimes food just doesn't have an impact on chronic headaches!

Soooooooo, I mentioned this earlier people, but I didn't get a response - what's happened to politicalmama (who started this thread), and the rest of the people who posted from page 1 to around page 20 but haven't been heard from since? I know some people may have moved to the Facebook forum but I can't believe everyone has? How do we get them to re-engage? I'd love to hear what happened....did they fail and drop out - too emberassed to write about it? (no shame there guys)...did they decide posting was too difficult?....did they feel they weren't getting enough from contributing to the thread?....WHAT HAPPENED? Seems like there are only a few of us left, the die-hards who post and post and post (and probably drive everyone else crazy) - wait, is that what happened??? :wacko:

I think a lot of people drop out of whole30, particularly when they do the big site-wide events, because a lot of people jump on as a spur of the moment thing. Add that to the New Years Resolution crowd, and its probably now that unusual to be down to us stalwarts =)

oh I thought we'd just stay on here into Feb. and beyond, otherwise I'm sure some will get lost in the shuffle. But, I'll happily follow to the reintroduction thread if someone makes one :)  PoukieBear, LeaC & company we'll do it together! I plan to stick to the 12 day template in ISWF. First day is legumes - I'm thinking peanut butter with breakfast (woohoooo!), hummus with my veggies at lunch, and chili for dinner.

Bronny- really? I really don't have to eat it? I really don't want to eat it. (I feel like a little kid here!) I love yogurt and miss it terribly, and I appreciate the active cultures it offers. I didn't have the mega bucks to shell out for a good probiotic, and I haven't been able to try kombucha... so I kinda feel stuck with it.

this brings me to something- there are tons of things I wanted to try during this 30 days - recipes, products, new vegetables - loads of them I did, but I'm so happy that this 30 days got me out of a food rut and I will keep trying new things. I know I've been vocal about my disappointments, but given some time to think on all this, it's only been 27 days of my entire life. I've learned plenty, and now I know I have the tools and will power to keep experimenting. And I know I can fall back on the whole30 if I get back into a rut of less healthy food choices. 

I'm pretty sure I will try an AIP at some point, maybe in the spring or summer when I can be super jazzed about all the fresh produce I can eat.

leahcarn, thanks for your input - certainly makes sense about people doing this on a whim! I have to say I'm glad I followed the protocol and got vocal on a W30 forum because it's  (I'll say it again), made me accountable and I feel supported! <3

Sunsoakeddreamer, bronnyd & other regulars, glad to have you in our clan, and poukiebear, if YOU start the thread in the new forum, we can post on both and hopefully 'not get lost in the shuffle'?! If you don't think this is the best way to go, I'm open to suggestions...

Much love, L. xx

Soooooooo, I mentioned this earlier people, but I didn't get a response - what's happened to politicalmama (who started this thread), and the rest of the people who posted from page 1 to around page 20 but haven't been heard from since? I know some people may have moved to the Facebook forum but I can't believe everyone has? How do we get them to re-engage? I'd love to hear what happened....did they fail and drop out - too emberassed to write about it? (no shame there guys)...did they decide posting was too difficult?....did they feel they weren't getting enough from contributing to the thread?....WHAT HAPPENED? Seems like there are only a few of us left, the die-hards who post and post and post (and probably drive everyone else crazy) - wait, is that what happened??? :wacko:

Welcome to the reality of the Whole30. It really is an exclusive club because so many people start with "best intentions" but then "life gets in the way" and they fade back into the woodwork. Hopefully they take some good habits back with them, but being as strict as a True BlueTM gen-u-wine Whole30 requires eludes a great many people.

Can you believe we had over 300 people declare their intention to do the program? It'd be interesting to see data over the years of intent vs. follow-through. Reminds me of the gym business model: they depend on members not showing up.

BUT!

That's not to say those of us who post can pat ourselves on the back and think we've got something figured out. Yes we've seen the benefits of following through with an online support network, but the journey is only just beginning.

If we've successfully rewired some of our habits and given our bodies a nice healthy period of both renewal and growth, the challenge now is to keep it going for the rest of our lives. How will you ride your own bike?

I am still doing well on Whole 30. Feeling great, sleeping great and finding it easier than I imagined. I, like miemoo, have decreased my coffee to one cup a day and given up lattes. I plan to continue that since it's made such a difference. I am eagerly awaiting reintroductions. I'm going to make some slight changes to what ISWF recommends. Like they say, if you don't intend to eat a food type, then don't reintroduce it. That is legumes for me. I know my gut does not like them at all. But I am going to reintroduce wine on a day. I want to see if the sulphites bother me (they better not). People at the gym tell me I'm looking trimmer these days, so am anxious to see what the scales say. I used to get on scales daily, so this has been challenging. But now I enjoy not stripping down immediately after planting feet on floor from bed. I didn't take pre-picture since weight loss not my main objective - really want to identify foods that bother me but I will post my weight loss (in pounds). We will also be tuning our math conversion skills!

MartaK, great to hear from you - keep up the good work!

Kirkor, you have hit the nail on the head my friend! We can't pat ourselves on the back just yet even though we can EASILY get through the next few days to day 30! I'm extremely worried about life after W30 (more so than when I was starting this journey)...

I've done so well to get to this stage without one conscious slip up and it has taught me that I can eat just 3 meals a day with one healthy snack if necessary, that I don't need to guzzle wine at night to unwind and that I can lose weight even if I don't exercise (I am the naughty one on this thread who hasn't done an ounce of dedicated exercise, just lot's of incidential exercise). Admittedly I have spent most of these 30 days on annual leave with only 2 weeks back at work in the middle. I'm on leave again this week, but after this weekend it's all over!

I won't be able to sit on my butt for hours trawling through recipes, reading and writing encouraging posts or prepping meals - so I'm worried!

On a side note, I HAVE to get some food prepped for life post 30 days! At 1pm this afternoon I was ravenously hungry, and had to whip up a quick lunch for the 'men' at home. Can you believe that in the middle of making their lunches, I also baked them a tea cake (crazy lady :wacko: !), at the same time I decided I needed to be encorporating more veggies in my diet instead of relying on so much animal protein, so I whipped up silky gingered zucchini soup with crisp prosciutto + sweet potato hash in coconut oil. I finally sat down at 2pm to eat - am now stuffed!!!

I'm pretty terrible at posting but I LOVE hearing what everyone is up to! So I'm checking in now to try and go some way to remedying that :)

Isn't it such a sense of accomplishment to be at this point? 27 days for me, eating nothing but Good Food. Such a nice thing to be able to do for ourselves.

As I've mentioned, me and my husband are continuing for a few more days and doing a Whole45 to try and get the habit of eating this way well and truly embedded in our lives. But I'm nervous about reintro too! Last time I ended up getting really angry about the "normal" food I was eating and how much I noticed how it made me feel. I was wishing I'd not done the W30 and stayed in blissful ignorance about how the food I ate affected me..! So I have some trepidation about whether reintro will go this time. But I do love the n=1 self-experimentation of it too.

Archived