Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Hey All

Almost to the finish line! I will take leahcarn's suggestion to make banana "ice cream" with a frozen banana and maybe even a few choc chips and some almonds thrown in too. Biiiiiiiig Griiiiiiinnns  :D  :D  :D Just one hopefully won't hurt. Actually, ripe bananas are acceptable for SIBO!

SO much fun reading everyone's posts! I am also interested in continuing here - why not here? I think Sunsoakeddreamer has it right - just keep on posting how we are doing for time being here and see how it unfolds.

Also, sorry if I sounded too maternal, Sunsoaked, :P I get what you're saying about needing a probiotic. What about things like fermented carrots or asparagus? They're pretty tasty. 

Thank you, Kirkor for that bike link! All about post Whole 30 very helpful. And YAY us for sticking with it! It's not too hard - actually quite easy... cuz i LOVE bacon. :) And in three more days, I'm just reintroducing yoghurt and cheeses allowed for SIBO - it's like SIBO is a blessing in disguise. :) 

LeaC good luck with work!! Keep posting here so that you can get support and not eat those office doughnuts or candy or whathaveyou.  ;)

My meals were right on today, but I'm still eating after 8 most nights. Getting home late and famished and eating a big dinner, which doesn't bode well with my digestion. That said, a little evening yoga and also the change in my diet is helping my tummy digest even those later dinners. That's one habit I'd like to work on changing. 

M1 chicken thigh, sausage with bacon bits and pieces and kale

M2 chicken livers with bacon and 1/2 small acorn squash and collards

M3 chicken thigh with bacon bits, kale and fried egg.

Snacked a bunch on mac nuts before and after dinner and now feel a little over full. Going to bed after 10 mins of yoga. Night! xob

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bronny, OK, will keep posting here - no point in starting a new thread and 'getting lost'!

I am eagerly awaiting reintroductions. I'm going to make some slight changes to what ISWF recommends. Like they say, if you don't intend to eat a food type, then don't reintroduce it. That is legumes for me. I know my gut does not like them at all. But I am going to reintroduce wine on a day. I want to see if the sulphites bother me (they better not).

Good news for you and I MartaK, check out this website for a product that takes the sulphites out of wine http://www.purewine.com.au/about. It's an Australian product (because we're all such winos!), so hopefully they have something similar where you live? Otherwise, get ordering!!!!

2 days to go kiddies! xx

Day 28: Well....I made it to kickboxing last night (it was AWESOME!) but when I got home the tummy trouble started again. It was NOT fun! I feel really drained this morning. I managed a black coffee and a bit of scrambled egg but have really lost my appetite. Will try something easy later even if it's just a banana and some nuts. Have salmon and veggies planned for tonight's dinner so hoping I can manage that. Am a bit grumpy because I felt too bleugh to go for my Wednesday run this morning. But at least I get to spend the day watching Grey's Anatomy series 10 box set and drooling over all the yummy doctors (Dr Owen Hunt is my favourite - he's just so....grrrrr) while the kids are at school and my hubby is at work. Have a fab day, everyone!!! We are soooooooooooo close to being Whole 30!

Hey, everyone! Happy Day 28 to us all!

@leaC: Yes, probably lots of people, including the original poster, dropped away. Also probably quite a few - like me - that just got too busy or too forgetful to post very much. I'm still here & still mostly compliant, well Whole30-AIP food list compliant, but not 100% 3 meals/template compliant. Been skipping breakfast & I confess I had "dessert" twice -- once was 4 dates stuffed with coconut manna & another time was a banana.

My first Whole30 was a revelation & did go longer & did change my life. During that period I was constantly on the forum, mostly whining about sugar, why not fruit for dessert, why not dessert, etc. The sugar dragon had me. And due probably to my holiday overindulgence in "paleo treats" is still lurking --witness my pecadillos above. But knowing is half the battle & this is the best place around to really come to know how food affects YOU.

Keep hangin' tough!!

Heheh, reading about the people who quit posting makes me smile because I was tempted to do it this time. Guys, I think I'm just going to have to start riding my own bike. When we went into town in Monday I didn't pack enough food and we were there way longer than expected, but I ended up buying some jerky that was in no way compliant. Then we went to dinner at a place like chipotle and I was feeling nauseous so I got some pork carnitas. But I couldn't really eat that. Then the guys I was with wanted frozen yogurt so I got some because hey, I had already blown it, and that made my tummy feel better but then my allergies started flaring horribly in the drive home. Yesterday I had a terrible allergy headache. Last night I yelled at my husband and I realized later that all the crap I had been eating probably contributed to that. And I don't want to live that way. between this pregnancy and everything else going on right now I'm just going to have to do the best I can. So, all this to say I wish you all well but I probably won't be contributing much anymore. I'm hoping to see some of you later on in other whole30 threads, when I attempt another one. Thank you all for sticking around and offering so much support and encouragement. You guys are all doing so great and you can be so proud of yourselves because really, it is hard!

PS, if you want to continue the group when you start your reintros the moderators will want you to move to the reintroduction forum.

Hey all:

Yesterday =

M1 eggs and salsa

M2 Green salad with hamburger

M3 Sweet potato,

snack almonds and baby carrots

I have a big family and I'm used to planning meals ahead, because it's a necessary survival mechanism. BUT, when there isn't a plan, it almost always causes me to slip up. Meal 3 happened because my kids were eating pizza, we had just got home from a long day, and there was no easy/quick protein available (except eggs, which I should have thought of but didn't). This is a good example of why I need another 30 days to make these habits more automatic. We have 25 chickens across the barnyard from our house, and I didn't think of EGGS? Hello. More habit building necessary :)

So, tomorrow my goal is to post 3 meals, and only 3 meals (no snacks) built around protein. Putting a roast the crockpot this morning, eggs for M1, and probably tuna for M2

Have fun all of you heading for reintroduction! Ubercool to be doing it as a group!

Hello Whole30 warriors!

Day 28 and still going strong  :D. I haven't been posting here but do try to read all the comments. I have been following the Facebook page set up for this group, so for those your missing that is where they could be! Join us: January 2015 Whole30

Now that I'm through the hardest part, withdrawal, headaches, lethargy, moodiness, etc. I'm going to continue with this beyond the 30 days, as are many of the others. I decided to do the whole30 in an effort to kick start a new lifestyle, (I'm really only missing my lattes). It took a while to get into the swing of meal planning and prep but now that I have a system thats working I feel this is sustainable. I can't believe how much better I feel! Improved attitude, focus, energy, better sleep, happier tummy, and all this delicious food, that I am curious to see what more I can benefit from if I keep going!

Congratulations on your accomplishments! 

Heheh, reading about the people who quit posting makes me smile because I was tempted to do it this time. Guys, I think I'm just going to have to start riding my own bike.

PS, if you want to continue the group when you start your reintros the moderators will want you to move to the reintroduction forum.

Hey Dem just want to say you GO girl! Or should I say NO, don't go!! I'm not preggies with family so it's a bit easier for me. But it's still hard if that makes sense. I try to have perspective by saying "Hey it's not so hard," but no, some days.... But why not get right back on the bike/horse and keep on? Remember it's not about being perfect. (If you read this article, keep reading :). It really helped me.

I started the thread in the Reintroduction forum.  Here's the link.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24941-feb-1st-re-introduction-phase/

Yes, I did set the date for Feb.1 instead of Jan. 31..... Oh well, one more day isn't going to be hard for us at this point.   :)

Thanks Poukie for starting the reintro forum -- but it still makes more sense to me to stay here.

What's the consensus? Since the 30 days are almost up, I think it's up to us to decide, not the moderators. They're here to moderate our eating, not what forums we decide to participate in. 

In another month from now, we can all look back and see how our lives/ perspectives have opened up a bit. Just sayin'...

PS on that note, Poukiebear I meant to say earlier, I appreciate your posting links to recipes and jpgs of your meals. The Tikka masala looks scrumptious!! I can just sub squash for the cauli rice. 

Thanks for starting the Reintro forum PoukieBear. I've joined in. Want to pass on one thing I have learned from the Whole30 foods in case it helps anyone else. Coconut milk does not agree with my stomach. I've had it about 4 times and finally correlated the bloating/upset stomach to that. It's about the only time(after the first 10 days) that I haven't felt great. So I'm glad i have figured that one out! Hoping the Reintroductions are as telling.

If you're staying Whole30, you can still post in this section, but if you're going Post-Whole30 (adding non-compliant), you'll need your log in the other section :) This is so new people don't do things like eat yoghurt and mess up their first Whole30 :)

I didn't realise how far behind I got on this thread! 

I had breakfast out on the Australia Day weekend and I'm now 100% sure there was dairy in it, I'm suspecting feta in my smashed avocado, even though they said it had no dairy. So I'm calling this Whole30 a bust for compliance, but on the plus side, I feel awful right now, so that saves me another try at a dairy reintroduction :) Sinuses are giving me hell today  :( I'm finishing up my W30 anyway, as I don't see any point in stopping and I'm not really doing any reintros. I was contemplating sulphites, but I think I need a cleaner baseline than how I feel right now, to be able to measure it accurately. I'll still join you in the reintro thread though :)

Since that derailed my Whole100 plan, I think I'll move into Post-W30, but I'm going to not add many things back in this time. Just SWYPO and sugar (as an ingredient, there's tiny amounts in a few organic products I like - pasta sauce is the most annoying in Australia, it should be easy to get clean ones, but it's not). I feel much better eating W30 style, the only SWYPO I miss is the odd slice of Caveman Banana Bread.

I started the thread in the Reintroduction forum.  Here's the link.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24941-feb-1st-re-introduction-phase/

Hi Michelle (a.k.a. Poukiebear), like MartaK I've also posted on your new link in the Reintro Forum. As I mention there, I suppose we'll transition between the two threads, crossing over officially on 1st Feb (although I will be interested to see what happens to this thread) ie: if it dies out or interesting facts pop up, I'll have to keep checking! :ph34r:

To avery and thewyrdwoman, so happy to hear from you! Looks like someone listened to my shoutout...xx

thewyrdwoman, just so you know, I don't think your indescressions of what you think were not meal/template compliant, really weren't anything to be concerned about. If you're like me, you're doing your damn best to eat 100% compliant foods (which isn't always possible), and 100% template style meals (which isn't always possible also). If you're adding a banana here and some dates there, you're succeeding in my eyes (it's very much like what I'm doing)!

Bronnyd quoted a perfect link to follow - it's not about being perfect. Thanks Bronny! I read this and found it extremely helpful. The point is really, we're not going off the rails and binging on crap food, we're 'sometimes' eating slightly non-compliant or off-template foods but keeping within the scope of what W30 is all about. Where's the harm in that? By the way Bronny - please follow us to Poukie's thread from 1st Feb (we'll miss you otherwise)!

Dem, we all support your decision, it's your bike to ride and we hope to hear from you again down the track - come find us, and best of luck with the pregnancy!

By the way, I stumbled upon a post by W30 South Pacific's Anastasia on her old blog-spot. It is a witty and honest approach to how she responds to 'Conventional Wisdom' about Paleo style eating etc - worth a look, it may help you with a defence/explanation to your nearest and dearest about why you're doing what you're doing...http://primalmeded.com/start-here/ .

Ooh......and.......I......just......received........my......ISWF Book........sooooooooo.......happy!!!

Much love - Leanne xx

For anyone who's interested, I just invented a quick version of Apricot Chicken with a Mango (because I couldn't find a compliant can of apricots). Here it is:

Mango Chicken

In a blender add 2 mango cheeks, 1 teaspoon of curry powder, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of coconut flour, salt & pepper – blend

Finely dice 1 onion. Add the mango mixture and onion to a pot. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 mins. Add to the pot shredded BBQ (cooked) chicken & the mango flesh surrounding the seed.

Cook for another 5 mins then serve.

Mmmmmmm - delicious!

Day 29: Woo hoo!!!!! My tummy is still a bit dodgy but I feel much better than I did yesterday. Appetite isn't great but have been eating my three Whole30 meals a day and just getting on with it. It's become such a habit that I just do it now - 3 meals a day, no snacks and sticking to the rules. It doesn't require the energy and thought it needed at the start. It's become second nature which is great. It's one less thing to worry about!

I've posted about my thoughts on re-introduction in the new thread. Looking forward to continuing our posts in February and beyond.

What's the plan about results of Whole30? Post here or in the Feb thread? Or both? Am excited to see everyone's results!!!

yesterday:

M1 4 eggs/salsa

M2 Huge tuna salad, veggies, a couple handfuls of almonds and dried apples

M3 Roast beef and carrots and dried apples

Main misstep: I wasn't even hungry at dinner, because lunch was so big. So after eating dinner I felt overfull and gross (and grumpy). I need to figure out how not to overdo the volume when I arrive at a meal starving, as I did at lunch (which was late, BTW)

Hello there everyone Thank You for some awesome posts!

I came home last night with a weird throat cold. Was fine all day until about 3/4 way through work when I felt a throat tickle, which quickly turned into almost full blown laryngitis. I teach for a living and through my last lesson I was whispering.  It sounds worse than it feels though. Went to bed early and now today I have no energy, and no desire for my morning coffee (big sign) or breakfast even. I just had a bowl of bone broth which was lip smackin' good.  And otherwise, I feel fine. So we'll see how the day progresses - might have to stay home from work - esp. if this laryngitis kicks in again.

Thank you, Praxis for clarifying why it's a good idea to move into another forum. I'll also join Poukie's reintro - I am stubbornly attached to this one and I guess maybe to the Whole 30 experience. NOT that I want to continue for another Whole 30 ... am really looking forward to reintroducing yoghurt. :) :) :) :) Will revisit this one from time to time to see what's happening, maybe provide some support/encouragement.

Yesterday I ate well, although not as much as usual.

M1 a small mound of sausage, bacon, rainbow chard and one fried egg

M2 salad with bacon, chick liver, almonds, carrot, cel, oo and lemon

M3 two scrambled eggs and bone broth (after arriving home from work) and mac nuts/almonds

Two more days! Time to get yoghurt making ingredients. :) :) :) :) 

OH too funny - :D I tried to post my check-in up there ;) and a little window appeared saying, :mellow:  "An error occurred - you have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. :lol:  Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message"! :P  :P HAH. :lol:  :D Let's try this.

:)

• Administrators

OH too funny - :D I tried to post my check-in up there ;) and a little window appeared saying, :mellow:  "An error occurred - you have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. :lol:  Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message"! :P  :P HAH. :lol:  :D Let's try this.

:)

LOL, you are too happy for the forum!  j/k

I'm glad you're moving over to the reintro thread, I think it'll be a good vibe over there for those not Whole30'ing on.  I've found on the forum that it's quite difficult to mix reintro discussions with people who are still working the strict W30.

Hi everyone! I didn't even realize that the month was coming to an end! I plan on staying on, a whole100 is on my mind and I can't bear to break it this soon. I am tempted to do SWYPO but this whole30 has really brought to my attention how important the meal template is! I feel amazing after a breakfast with the right amount of veggies, meat, and fat but loussssy after I have a breakfast of two hard boiled eggs. It is great to see my body taking care of itself. Also, just on a side note, normally I get really sick in the winter and struggle with a low immune system. But, this winter (I know its not even close to being over yet) I have only felt a tickle once and I think it is because of the heat in my house. Isn't that amazing? Life is so much better when you are healthy :))))

Hope everyone is great!!!! And congrats on an almost completed whole30!

HAPPY DAY 30!!! :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  

Glad to be reading all the great stuff you're posting...I especially LOL'd :lol:  at Bronny's comment about being denied a post because of all her Emoticons!!! If they could deny you posting rights because of !!! exclamation mark overuse !!! I'd be banned for life!!!

congratulations to all of you who are almost done with the whole30 Plan. I am on day 26 but will extend it for 30 more days... I need it :-)

NannyD, do come join us after you finish (or just catch up on what we've been discussing) - we'll be chatting away for many more days to come over on our re-intro thread... 

Main misstep: I wasn't even hungry at dinner, because lunch was so big. So after eating dinner I felt overfull and gross (and grumpy). I need to figure out how not to overdo the volume when I arrive at a meal starving, as I did at lunch (which was late, BTW)

Hi Stravajunkie!, I too had a meal timing issue yesterday as I was unexpectedly out and about over that criticial lunch period. I left the house at 12pm and quickly grabbed a bottle of water and my container of mixed raw nuts, coconut flakes & apple chips.Luckily I'd had quite a satisfying breakfast. I started to feel hungry around 1pm so munched on the snacks so that my hormones would acknowledge this was my midday meal, then when I finally arrived home at 3pm I made a 'snack' of 1 leftover Bora Bora Fireball & a tablespoon of 'Life in a Jar' - fermented vegies. I asknowledge the lunchtime template wasn't 100% but at least I ate compliantly and at the right time so my body was maybe fooled into thinking I was doing the right thing??? Who knows......

I've posted about my thoughts on re-introduction in the new thread. Looking forward to continuing our posts in February and beyond.

What's the plan about results of Whole30? Post here or in the Feb thread? Or both? Am excited to see everyone's results!!!

Mumontherun.....let's do a bit of a double up for a day or so (post on both threads), so that our friends on this thread can see what our end results were, and the new thread followers will also. Don't you just love copy and paste!

Thinking about re-intro, I need to read more before the end of today. One thing's for sure though - like others SWYPO is also on the cards for me somewhere along the re-intro line What could be so wrong about eating a snack that is compliant?! Am hoping I've learnt enough in these 30 days to stick to 3 meals a day with the occasional snack or treat...

NOT LONG NOW! PS: If you're not quite at your 30 days, we're still around and I for one (and Bronny for 2) don't want to let go of this thread so we'll be checking in on how you are all going. Come join us afterwards! http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24941-feb-1st-re-introduction-phase/   L. xx

One thing I have learned with SWYPO, is it's still better if you can make it into a template. Quite a lot of SWYPO stuff is lop-sided, low or no protein or veggies are common factors.

I most like it when there's a bake-off or other type of social thing (BBQ, potluck), where I can make something compliant, share and not have to worry about being "poisoned" with gluten or something ;)

I've been surprised though, that over time, my interest in SWYPO things has dropped a lot. I keep a lot of recipes marked in Pinterest, but very rarely use them.

• Administrators

I've been surprised though, that over time, my interest in SWYPO things has dropped a lot. I keep a lot of recipes marked in Pinterest, but very rarely use them.

ME TOO!  I have easily a 2" sheaf of recipes printed out that are all SWYPO and I look at them and think "Man, that's a sh*t of a lot of work (and usually $$) for something that isn't going to be very good.  Where's the jar of olives, that'll do."  :)

I do the same Praxisproject, I do think there is a social aspect to "breaking bread", i.e. sharing food, so I like to make something compliant I can share (and win the odd bake-off ;) ) but apart from that, I don't really do a lot of SWYPO baking. 

Although I am very proud of my no-added-sweetener birthday cake =)

I really struggled getting though yesterday, just fed up with all the restrictions. I want to go off the rails for a bit, try making hazelnut butter, make beef and broccoli stir fry, heck, I'm even craving garlic bread!! The Hartwig's famous tough love says that the Whole30 is not hard, well that may be so, but following the low fodmap whole30 99% for 6 months sure is!!

Journal entry from yesterday

I just want to give up. It is extremely hard to be SO restrictive for so long, and I'm sick of it. I just wish I could off-road without bad effects. Whole30 day 29(!!!) low fodmap day 8, and I'm struggling badly. I haven't really noticed any relief of symptoms, and I'm bonking badly midafternoon because I changed the type of meat I was using in my lunch frittata so I'm not getting enough fat now =( I have a few family dinners in the next week or so, and getting my parents to understand what I'm dong is REALLY hard, then at the in-laws, I probably won't even be able to eat the food my paleo SIL brings! Why must my body betray me?

Archived