Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to start my Whole30 yesterday simply because I have a week of vacation and this seemed the least stressful time! Sticking to the plan the first day was no problem. I felt fairly bloated during the evening which I wasn't expecting. I found that my sleep pattern was greatly disturbed. I usually sleep 6-7 hours soundly. I woke up probably once an hour last night, feeling like it was morning and ready to jump out of bed! I was expecting improved sleep (if that's possible) not disrupted sleep! I'm hoping this subsides as the days go on. Happy Monday everyone.

Hello All!

I completed my first Whole30 on Dec 23rd and I can't tell you how amazing I feel. I lost 10 pounds as a bonus. I cut out all crap and couldnt imagine going back to eating the way I used to. During the introduction phase I realized I have an intolerance to dairy and gluten...so I will be living a Whole30/Paleo lifestyle. The most shocking thing I discovered was that Sugar is in EVERYTHING!!! Even things you wouldnt expect AND they sneak fancy sugar world's in so you don't know what it is. I will begin another round of Whole30 being stricter than ever this time. Welcome everyone!

Hi everyone!

I'm Jenny! I'm a Paleo dietitian with a 5-week old baby boy. I'm ready to shed the last 10 prego pounds and clean things up after enjoying a few splurges during pregnancy -- and over the holidays, of course. 

Can't wait to join you all and support each other!

Xo

As of right now, we've got 173 people on board for January!!!! (see link to roster in my sig)

Obviously lots of questions and interaction may get lost in the shuffle as people are posting and replying to such a big group.  So let's all make sure we've patient and supportive and remember why we're here.

Hi all, I'm going to join you in here if you don't mind. I've decided to officially start today because I don't see the point in waiting.

Awesome!!!

I'm in. This is my first time what can I do to prepare my body now?

Clean out your cupboards of non-compliant stuff, start tapering off sugar, plan out your first week of meals, start drinking more water ... lots of stuff!

I am starting my whole 30 on Jan. 1.  My last whole 30 back in the spring I did ok.  I wasn't perfect and I am not going to beat myself up over that. I will be using that experience to make this time around more productive.  There were several lessons I learned during that period.  I am also inviting my friends to join me on this journey.  Hopefully we can text each other daily.  I have discovered that my old LandOLakes cookbooks are an excellent source of recipes for real food cooking (with minimal ingredient substitution).  Today's chore get the treff out of sight in the pantry.  Out of sight out of mind. 

I am grateful that I will not be doing this alone.  There are others that are on this journey also.  Here is to eating clean in 2015!

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself! I'm starting off the New Year with my very first Whole30. My hubby and I welcomed our very first baby into the world about 7 months ago and I am having trouble losing some of the baby weight so I figured this might be a good way to get some of those stubborn pounds off. I am still nursing and hope to continue to do so through my whole30.

I'm located in Western Massachusetts and typically have local organic produce delivered (because of lack of time to shop w/ baby & full time job) and am joining a local farm for a share of organic beef, pork and lamb this upcoming weekend. Prior to getting pregnant I was a Tone It Up devotee and was very rigorous in following their Nutrition & Exercise plan, I'm pretty goal oriented so I had little trouble staying on track, my goal is to get my system into gear with the Whole30 and then transition into eating a mix of Tone It Up approved and Paleo foods. 

Would love to connect with anyone local and any working mamas to infants :)

I am starting my first Whole 30 on Jan 2.    

I just joined the forum today so I need to update my profile but I also joined the FB group.

My main goal for the W30 are to reduce sugar and alcohol (I don't see myself completely eliminating them after my Whole30 but I do want to reduce them).  My other goal is to cook healthier for my husband and toddler and encourage them both to eat healthier.  They're both carboholics and I know my husband wants to loose weight so I hope this will be a positive step for us all.

I already eat a lot of veggies so my biggest challenge is to find good meat and get used to eating it at every meal and not just dinner.  

Hello, I plan to start on Jan 1, I was toying with the idea of starting on the 4th, but thats leaving too much room for 'last meals'.  This will be my first Whole30, I only discovered it a few weeks ago while searching for recipes for lambs kidney, I just bought a whole grass fed lamb, and the seller added in a bunch of kidney's for me, I'm from New Zealand, currently living in Tennesee and she thought I would like them, not really, but I'll give it a shot.  I've almost finished reading 'It starts with food'

I've been in the US for 2 years now, after 14 years in Australia, and I've made some poor food choices that have had lasting effects, basically just eating my way across america for 2 years. 

I need to lose weight, get back to excercising and basically get healthy again, DH and I are embarking on a donor egg fertility cycle in April/May, so I want to give it every chance to work the first time. 

looking forward to the support, tips and advice.  :)

I'm starting my first Whole30 on January 2. I have PCOS and have been unable to drop any weight, despite eating 1200 calories a day and doing Crossfit 3x a week, yoga twice a week and horseback riding once a week. I'm hoping this gets me unstuck. I'm frankly the most worried about alcohol. Fingers crossed. 

I'm planning to embark on my first Whole30 journey on January 1st. I have mixed emotions about it...I'm really excited to try new recipes and adhering to healthier eating habits, but am also nervous about failing my attempt.

For a few years during college, I ate a very clean diet, to the point that I developed some pretty restrictive orthorexic habits that resulted in a very low body weight and some disordered eating habits that I am still trying to shake. I've overcome a lot since then, especially within the last year, but it's meant reintroducing a lot of unhealthy processed foods to try to get over some food fears, and while most of those foods are not a regular part of my diet, I've gotten hooked on artificial sweeteners. Stevia is my sweetener of choice and while I plan to reintroduce it after my Whole30, I would like to only use it sparingly. The sweeteners I really have a problem with are the ones in Crystal Light, sugar free chocolate syrup, etc., and I hate that I use these several times a week now.

I want to go back to a healthier diet without going overboard into obsessive restriction, hence my choice to attempt the Whole30. I've been able to gain some much needed weight, and I'd like to maintain that while continuing to tone up. I'm nervous about either losing weight on the Whole30 or gaining body fat due to what I expect will be increased calories. I do eat a pretty low-carb, whole foods diet with a lot of fresh vegetables, but I will be cutting out lower fat sources of protein like cottage cheese, protein powders, PB2, and beans (I'm a hummus addict!). I've done a lot to prepare for January 1st by compiling some recipes, stocking up on safe ingredients, printed out some food logs, tried some Whole30 compliant recipes, and have planned my first few days of meals already. All I need is someone to hold me accountable and help me to complete the 30 days without losing my mind, whether it's missing my tofu pudding sweetened with stevia, coping with my "fat fear," withdrawal headaches from lack of artificial sweeteners, and separation anxiety from hummus haha.

I'm starting the Whole30 on January 1st!  I'm excited about it and a little nervous.  I've read the information on the website and posted the lists of food 'to eat', and 'not to eat' on my bulletin board. I did a cleanse in September, which was awesome, but required an unbelievable amount of food prep.  I'm hoping that the Whole30 will be easier for me to implement with a busy family and hectic life.  I purchased Well-Fed by Melissa Joulwan (which is actually how I learned about Whole30) and she has a lot of tips for making the paleo life-style as simple as possible.  I am a sugar-junkie and have been on a steady diet of cookies since November......I'm anticipating a few withdrawal symptoms initially.  :( I know from previous experience that the sugar withdrawal and cravings will only last a few days.  I'm grateful for the support of this forum and hopeful that by the end of 30 days I will no longer even desire the foods on my "not-to-eat" list!

I'm joining you. I can't wait. I did a Whole 30 in August but then went on holiday and never gained 'control' again. After my 30 days I felt so good, lost about 10 lbs. Now I'm back to my original weight, tired and fuzzy headed all of the time. I generally wake up to a headache every morning. Looking forward to hearing ever bodies progress.

Hello! I am starting January 1 and am determined to make it thru this time! I read the book year before last and need to start because I have a skin condition I need to figure out. I get overwhelemed by the planning. That is hardest for me. I have never done well with meal planning and now having to make EVERYTHING from scratch,including sauces, it just overwhelmes me! I'm doing a lot of research this time and trying to get a couple weeks plan ready by the first so I get off to a good start :) ready for my journey!!!

I'm starting January 1st!

My name is Zach and I'm a 26 year old San Antonio native. I was in the Army for six years and separated last year (20 Dec 13) and moved back home. In the past year I've gained 25lbs and am excited to get back in fighting shape with a Whole30 Jumpstart! I am halfway through It Starts With Food and can't wait to begin! I have already started cooking some Whole30 recipes to alleviate the detox culture shock come January.

Nice to meet you everyone!

-Zach

I'm planning to embark on my first Whole30 journey on January 1st. I have mixed emotions about it...I'm really excited to try new recipes and adhering to healthier eating habits, but am also nervous about failing my attempt.

For a few years during college, I ate a very clean diet, to the point that I developed some pretty restrictive orthorexic habits that resulted in a very low body weight and some disordered eating habits that I am still trying to shake. I've overcome a lot since then, especially within the last year, but it's meant reintroducing a lot of unhealthy processed foods to try to get over some food fears, and while most of those foods are not a regular part of my diet, I've gotten hooked on artificial sweeteners. Stevia is my sweetener of choice and while I plan to reintroduce it after my Whole30, I would like to only use it sparingly. The sweeteners I really have a problem with are the ones in Crystal Light, sugar free chocolate syrup, etc., and I hate that I use these several times a week now.

I want to go back to a healthier diet without going overboard into obsessive restriction, hence my choice to attempt the Whole30. I've been able to gain some much needed weight, and I'd like to maintain that while continuing to tone up. I'm nervous about either losing weight on the Whole30 or gaining body fat due to what I expect will be increased calories. I do eat a pretty low-carb, whole foods diet with a lot of fresh vegetables, but I will be cutting out lower fat sources of protein like cottage cheese, protein powders, PB2, and beans (I'm a hummus addict!). I've done a lot to prepare for January 1st by compiling some recipes, stocking up on safe ingredients, printed out some food logs, tried some Whole30 compliant recipes, and have planned my first few days of meals already. All I need is someone to hold me accountable and help me to complete the 30 days without losing my mind, whether it's missing my tofu pudding sweetened with stevia, coping with my "fat fear," withdrawal headaches from lack of artificial sweeteners, and separation anxiety from hummus haha.

Think of it this way - yes you are restricting a lot for a month but it doesn't need to be that way forever and you may find during reintro that you can still eat your beloved hummus, pb2 and cottage cheese because they have no negative effect on your body!

I haven't heard of many who have gained body fat on this program. Just keep an eye on your fruit intake - but it's pretty much impossible to over eat on veggies and meats. You'll find you get fuller easier after a few days/weeks and you won't actually be eating as many calories as you fear.

Archived