Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting my second Whole 30 1 January as well.  Just finished my first one in early December and had planned to keep going for a 45 or even 60 day attempt but had some travel plans that made it really difficult.  Even though I had my cravings under control I have started to eat some crappy sugar things and I am looking forward to clean eating (and kicking these bad habits to the curb!) this week.  Good luck to all!

I will be starting on the first as well.  I have read the book and done loads of prepping so I AM GOING to succeed ! I had two ruptured discs in my neck in August that sidelined me in a BIG way - in a lot of pain and no working out for the past three months - gained 20 lbs and my hip pain is back (had been a previous running injury) and sleepng is suffering .  I am one who likes to workout but sweets are my problem, so looking forward to getting the nutritional side under control.  Glad to be here with so much support!

Hi,

My husband and I are starting the Whole30 on January 1st as well! This is our first time. We have been preparing for the past several weeks by cleaning out our cupboards and refridgerator/freezer. We have purchased several Paleo cookbooks and have started to cook Paleo for the past several weeks. We have been allowing ourselves "healthier" sweetner alternatives like honey and maple syrup and coconut sugar to help us get off of our sugar addictions and prepare to go Whole30 sweet free on 1/1/15. We are excited and hopeful that this will help clear up many "unexplained" medical issues we are both experiencing.

Holy wow there are a lot of us this month! I think there were maybe 40 in the one I did previously!

Does anyone have any suggestions for sweet potatoes? What I've been doing is cutting them into 1/2" rounds and cooking them with olive oil, salt and pepper. I'd like to try something different, but all I can come up with is brown sugar and butter (both obviously not compliant).

I'm contemplating trying it out as a hash for breakfast. I just need ideas as I'm bored with the way I've been doing them.

My husband and I are planning on starting on January 1st!

I have already made up the month's menu board and looked up recipes.  I just need to go buy the food and begin some of freezer meals I have planned.

I'm so excited to start 2015 off on the right food.  I've done strict Paleo before so this isn't too much of a change.  But I had a baby 4 months ago and I have not always eaten so well since being pregnant (which sounds crazy). 

I am planning on going back to Meatless Mondays with this plan though.

Mary Lou Wilson (and her husband, Brian)

Holy wow there are a lot of us this month! I think there were maybe 40 in the one I did previously!

Does anyone have any suggestions for sweet potatoes? What I've been doing is cutting them into 1/2" rounds and cooking them with olive oil, salt and pepper. I'd like to try something different, but all I can come up with is brown sugar and butter (both obviously not compliant).

I'm contemplating trying it out as a hash for breakfast. I just need ideas as I'm bored with the way I've been doing them.

Hi whail81,

I just chop them up into matchsticks, drizzle them in coconut oil or ghee, bit of salt, and stick em in the oven for about 40 minutes for delicious sweet potato fries! Super easy. Addicting too so be warned. They are not as crispy as restaurant fries but in my opinion equally as delicious and way easier and healthier. 

Sweet potato hash is also delicious, topped with a fried egg or two. 

Hi whail81,

I just chop them up into matchsticks, drizzle them in coconut oil or ghee, bit of salt, and stick em in the oven for about 40 minutes for delicious sweet potato fries! Super easy. Addicting too so be warned. They are not as crispy as restaurant fries but in my opinion equally as delicious and way easier and healthier. 

Sweet potato hash is also delicious, topped with a fried egg or two. 

Oooohhh that sounds good! Thank you. :)

Hi,

I am doing the Whole30, starting Jan 1. I've tried this before and made it about 3 weeks - then walked the Portland to Coast event and was in the van with other people/temptations. Lack of sleep. Away from my routine.

I will say that I felt AWESOME before I fell off the wagon. I'd like to feel that way again. :-)

Diane

Hello everyone!

Initially, I wanted to start on the 1st, but my overindulgence during the holidays has pushed me to start just a wee bit earlier than expected.  However, I will be continuing Whole30 until the 31st of January. 

I will happily have a dry NYE's this year.  That sounds boring to some, but I couldn't be happier.  I do have to say that this will be my first NYE's without wine/champagne that I've had in...I can't remember. I'm ready and I CANNOT wait.

This is my first time doing the Whole30.  Typically, I eat strict paleo, so I don't this will be too bad.  I do have to say the last 3 months have been filled with countless work trips, vacations, weddings and of course the holidays.  I need to get back on track. I've noticed my energy levels have been steadily decreasing and my skin doesn't look at radiant.  Too much fun, wine and food has caught up to me. 

I 'liked' the Whole30 page, is this the same group people are referring to in the feed?  Or did someone create a specific group?  If so, may I join as well.

Happy New Year everyone!  :)

Happy New Whole 30!  I will be starting on the 2nd.  This will be my 2nd time.  First was a Whole 60 and I never did get that boost of energy everyone talks about.  Since then, I have made some medical changes and already feel better so hoping with the Whole 30 (I am committing to Whole 90) in 2015, I will really feel fantastic and see some actual results.

Hey guys!! I will be joining in on this Whole30 as well! I am a freshman in college so I will be making my choices primarily from the dining hall. I know it is possible but the temptation is just going to kill me so that's why I want to hear about everyone else's journals and we can all struggle together to get through the cravings!

Anyways, a little background info on me on paleo/whole30/nutrition is I've never 100% completely immersed and completed a Whole30 before but this is why I am writing this post. It is time to reach goals and achieve success.

I will try my best to document each day on this blog for the 30 days so feel free to hit the follow button and I will follow back :)

http://paleoandbarbells.tumblr.com/

I'm starting on January 1st and hoping to slay my sugar dragon. I feel so much better when I cut out the refined crap but I still go back to it through habit, boredom and a million rubbish reasons. This is my first whole 30 although I've been thinking about it for ages

JordanD21 - Don't worry if you don't get it 100% right first time, a restart is a learning experience, not a failure. You may want to have a look at the natural flavoured mineral waters. I've found post-W30 I prefer these to anything with an artificial sweetener, they frankly taste a lot nicer and no sugar! You may be surprised on the weight, I found artificial sweeteners were actually holding me back pretty bad on the weightloss, but I'd been using them so long I couldn't tell. If you're used to low carb, you're going to love the homemade mayo! This one is my favourite recipe: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/ I also found my carb tolerance higher on Whole30, I can even eat sweet potato and stay in ketosis.

katphoto - Are you wanting to give up coffee for your Whole30?

aerobicsmom13 - Well Fed has some of the best easy-lifestyle cooking tips around. Bulk cooking, but keeping it interesting :D I also had a revelation from NomNomPaleo, roast two chickens at once! (very little extra effort compared to a single chicken). I hear you on the sugar! Be careful with dates and cashews (the highest sugar nut) as they can be triggers for some people. I prefer macadamias. 

mrs.joslyn - Lots of people with skin mysteries here :) Some things people have trouble with are nuts, FODMAPs and bananas/avocado (latex). Keep a food log and track how your skin feels, it might help you pin it down. To start with planning, I always think about expiry dates. When will my whatever it is, last until. Then I need enough matching things to go with it. Well Fed & Well Fed 2 have lots of great easy recipes, like Hot Plates and Meatballs (many of which are on the ClothesMakeTheGirl website). Meatballs are great as you can freeze them too. My favourite sauces are homemade mayo and Sunshine Sauce (it tastes a lot like peanut and is nut free!) http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/ - Mayo will last as long as your eggs will. I keep mine in an airtight glass jar without much room at the top. Don't be afraid of frozen or canned veggies, many of these are quite healthy and they're great on busy days or on a kitchen disaster day (like the time I spilled my roast chicken gravy all over the floor).

nochem66 - I see you! What are you hoping to get out of your Whole30?

tmpratt - I had great success on my first Whole30 with mystery health problems. Found out I can't have gluten (most grains really), a bit later, same with dairy. Completely got rid of my arthritis! (it's gluten/dairy induced)

whail81 - Sweet potato hash is very popular, as is mashed :) You can also do things with the mash and the hash too, like a shepherd's pie.

trtennis17 - Since you've got the dining hall, see if you can have a chat with one of the cooks at a quiet time, give them your PDFs, see if they can suggest anything. 

Coffee lovers - I've full time made the move to dairy free coffee, I have one of three options: coconut cream (a higher fat kind of coconut milk), coconut milk or nut milk (macadamia or hazelnut usually). I find I don't want it as much without the dairy, so one cup a day is usually all I have, in the morning. I love the smell.

I'm planning to start January 1st and am working on my husband to do it with me.  

I've had IBS for 20 years and diagnosed with GERD also just over 2 years ago after a resurfacing of my IBS symptoms.  Recently, I've been suffering on and off with IBS and GERD symptoms since mid-October and am ready to truly make a change.  This past February, we went Paleo for about 3 weeks and it made a big difference.  I'm sick of taking meds and just want to feel good again period.  

This is my first time doing the Whole30 although I've known about it since going gluten free after being diagnosed with GERD.

So here I am and ready to get started!

Hello! I started eating Paleo back in August but I have been having a hard time over the holidays with depression. I've just been eating whatever is around and I miss the way I felt when I was eating Paleo. This will be my first Whole30 and I'm hoping it will help lift the depression and get me feeling good again. I will also be doing AIP to see how it helps with my psoriasis.

I saw that there was a facebook group set up. I don't have facebook but I would be willing to join just for the group if it would actually be helpful. Any veterans out there that have used facebook groups and feel it made a difference? Or should I just stick to the forum?

Good luck everyone!

Hello all! This will be my first time doing Whole30, and I am so excited! Since turning 34 back in June, I feel like my body has gone haywire. Skin problems, digestion issues, and unexplained weight gain, just to name a few things in particular. I'm tired of feeling crappy all the time!

My boyfriend is doing the challenge with me. Our biggest hurdle is going to be alcohol. We love our beer and cocktails, and meeting up with friends for happy hour is a big part of our social life. We've already given our friends the heads up that this challenge is on the horizon, and so far everyone has been supportive. I think it helps that we've all had a very very merry holiday season, so to speak, so everyone in our group is looking forward to doing some detox.

Our second biggest challenge is going to be preparation and planning. We are very much the type to come home after a long day and say, "Screw it, let's go eat Mexican!" We're not starting the challenge until next week, so I'm definitely going to use this week to put together some frozen meals. It took a little convincing to get boyfriend to agree to do this, so I feel like our success depends on how well I plan. I'm up for the challenge, and I'm thankful for this support group! Good luck to us all! :)

I'm going to be be starting on January 1st too and would love to join your group. I am 44 and have a "somewhat" Whole30 supportive husband and two picky eating kiddos (8 and 11.) My hubby is not the best eater and has tried a few times to kick his soda/sugar/carb addiction with no success. I am hoping that if he sees that I can be successful eating clean than maybe he'll give it another go and encourage me even more. I know I have my kids' support. When I start to get grouchy, they always ask if I had any gluten during the day. They know how it affects me and they can tell when I cheat. There is nothing more humbling than being scolded by an 8 year old because you ate bread when you shouldn't have. LOL.

I have never done Whole30 before, but I have done a couple of 2 week whole food detoxes in the past. Once I removed gluten, dairy, and eggs from my diet, I felt so much better, however once the detoxes were over, I slipped back into my old eating habits and started feeling icky again. I have been wanting to do Whole30 for a while but have been nervous because I have always had a hard time eating enough protein and I don't do well with a few of the food items that I have read are good ones to eat on Whole 30 (eggs, avocados, cashews, etc.)

I am super excited to start on January 1st and hopefully continue eating this way past the 30 days. My family and I will be going to Hawaii in February so that should be a good incentive for me to try to shed a few pounds during the process.

Thanks for starting this thread and this group. I'd love to join the FB group as well.  :)

Whail81 - I boiled up a bunch of sweet potatoes, mashed them then used a hamburger press (could use a small Tupperware container) and filled it with the mash. I pressed out a round of sweet potatoes on to a foil covered cookie sheet and froze a dozen sweet potato "pucks". When they were solid I peeled them off the foil and stored them in a freezer bag in the freezer. It takes my microwave about 2 minutes to heat up one serving, long enough to cook my morning eggs. They are really tasty with eggs.

I hope this appeals to you!

Mary

I am starting my first whole 30 January 1, 2015.  I want to commit to this and follow the guidelines.  I have tried to halfheartedly do this before but couldn't give up dairy and didn't really set a start date. I am nervous but willing to give it my all. I am just learning to get around this site and use the resources it offers.  

Archived