Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

I'm starting on the 2nd as I don't want to start day 1 hung over.  :)  Besides, then I'll end Jan 31, which makes some sense. 

This will be my 2nd successful Whole 30, I did my first one about a year and a half ago and I've done a few *not quite* complete ones in between.  I felt FANTASTIC when I did it, helped my IBS-D and my psoriasis (although didn't eliminate it in 30 days) and improved my sleep quality.  And I lost 12 lbs too.

I have eaten paleo on and off since my first Whole 30, sometimes more on, and sometimes more off.  Since Nov / Dec it's been completely off.  Way way way off.  We moved in May, and I've struggled ever since.  So, no more excuses, time to pull up the big girl panties and make 2015 a year where I move forward in my paleo lifestyle.  I liked Melissa's post about how living a Whole 9 life has been a journey, with shorter and shorter times off-roading until the times are pretty much intentional.  That's my plan.  I'm not there yet, but I'm moving in the right direction.  I'm using the Whole 30 to springboard into the year of Paleo eating, and this will be the year where I tackle my paleo challenges - camping, special occasions, road trips, high stress eating, rural Canadian grocery availability.  I need to find ways to off-road without going so far off, finding guidelines that suit me (like always staying gluten-free, etc) but still allow for real life to occur.  As a mother of 3 young kids, I want to bring them a little closer to the paleo lifestyle too, although not as strictly as I plan to do it myself.

Excited to start!  Looking forward to doing this with all of you!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm planning on the starting Jan. 2nd!  I'm a newbie and will need support since my husband will not be joining me.  I'm very excited to revamp my healthy lifestyle and this is a great way to start 2015.

Hi whail81- we eat a lot of sweet potatoes in this house, it's my main starchy vegetable! :)  Two other ways I love to have them are as a hash (mixed with parsnips, asparagus, and a sunny side up egg), and also as a topping for a Paleo twist on a Shepherd's Pie (I usually add a little coconut milk to the potatoes to make them a bit creamier). Good luck!

Hi all!

I officially kicked off Whole 30 #2 today, too much holiday indulgence and I'm ready to be over it. :)

Meal 1: coffee with coconut milk, spinach and mushroom frittatas with sauerkraut and avocado

Meal 2: big salad with sweet potato, tuna, walnuts, beets, carrots, jicama, vinegar and olive oil, and a pear

Meal 3: turkey, lettuce, avocado, homemade mayo (yum!) and roasted potatoes, and some cherries

I worked out this morning as well. Determined to keep the workouts going too!

Jenn

PurpleCloud - Personally I find the flow of the forums better than Facebook, so many read/post from their mobiles so the content is often briefer. I'm in the Facebook group too, but haven't seen anything there that's been missed here :)

rampaige - Use your pre-start time to find some places where you can eat out compliant for those days you might be struggling. A local favourite is often more accommodating for regulars :) Some mexican places are great, with the salad and salsas, I take my PDFs and see what they recommend (calling ahead can often give more options if things like marinades are no good, they can leave yours unmarinated).

Lisa - If you struggle getting enough protein, try adding it to soups (blended or in small chunks). If you feel like you don't digest it well, there are digestive enzymes, as well as pineapple and kiwi fruit natural enzymes (good for marinades). Drinking less with meals helps some people too (doesn't dilute the stomach acid).

Mary - What a great prep idea! I'm stealing that for sure! :D

Agapita - I promise you can give up dairy for 30 days, you're stronger than you think! What do you normally have with dairy in it?

PurpleCloud - Personally I find the flow of the forums better than Facebook, so many read/post from their mobiles so the content is often briefer. I'm in the Facebook group too, but haven't seen anything there that's been missed here :)

rampaige - Use your pre-start time to find some places where you can eat out compliant for those days you might be struggling. A local favourite is often more accommodating for regulars :) Some mexican places are great, with the salad and salsas, I take my PDFs and see what they recommend (calling ahead can often give more options if things like marinades are no good, they can leave yours unmarinated).

Lisa - If you struggle getting enough protein, try adding it to soups (blended or in small chunks). If you feel like you don't digest it well, there are digestive enzymes, as well as pineapple and kiwi fruit natural enzymes (good for marinades). Drinking less with meals helps some people too (doesn't dilute the stomach acid).

Mary - What a great prep idea! I'm stealing that for sure! :D

Agapita - I promise you can give up dairy for 30 days, you're stronger than you think! What do you normally have with dairy in it?

I new at getting around this site and not sure i am responding to correct person. Is there a place to read how to get around the site. I normally have homemade kefir for probiotic purposes, on a daily basis.  Also I have hard time giving up creamer in coffee.  I have used coconut creamer, its OK. I can make the switch to ghee from butter. 

I am planning on starting January 1st as well.  This is my first time starting the Whole30 and I'm a little nervous.  I have terrible cravings for sugar and carbs (part of the reason I'm trying the Whole30) and I'm not very good at managing them.  I'm ready for a change but I know I need to work on my pantry and put together a plan.  Starting to cut it close.  Hoping I can get ready in the next 2 days.

This will be my second whole 30 and I've been mentally prepping but doing all the food prepping today. But thankfully my stress-load just went down a ton after last semester so I think this will be the perfect time to do it! There's so many people doing it on the 1st I think it will be interesting to see how alive these forms are... I had a pretty tight knit group on the forms for my last semester so I'm kind of nervous going into it with such a big group... Still not sure if my boyfriend is doing it with me again which helped a lot so I may be going solo so I will need to support! Good luck everyone! We can do this!

Two more days! :lol:  Doing meal planning today...I'm getting a little overwhelmed at the thought of planning out the entire month, so I think I'm just going to take it week by week. 

I don't have a facebook anymore so I'll be sticking around here. I have an instagram (@kam80s) but cameras currently out of commission after dropping my phone  :wacko:

I'm in.  I've been eating paleo for about 3 months now and besides 5 days of eating cookies over Christmas, I have been able to maintain that lifestyle.  So, my next step is to do the Whole30.  I've already been doing the food planning (very key to my success so far).  I'm even able to stay away from tempting foods even though they are in my house (have a house full of growing boys that love bread and pasta).  My family does benefit from healthier family meals.  Anyway - looking forward to sharing this experience with others!

My sister and I are starting Whole30 January 1.  We're both already paleo, with the exception of wine.  So, after this free-flowing holiday season, we're going Whole!  Wine and hard cheeses will both be out...sad panda.  But, from what I hear, it'll be worth it.

We're also in the middle of the 30-day burpee challenge...great timing.

So, one last cheers to 2014, and then let's get this thing started!

I am beginning on January 2nd, and am bringing my boyfriend along for the ride with me.

This will be our first Whole30 - we are generally looking to reset our (very) bad eating habits, and I need to kick my sugar cravings! I'm hoping for more awareness about the foods that agitate my body and about food nutrition in general. I also hope to have some skin improvement, and to learn to cook some delicious, low-ingredient meals!

I am worried about lunches - my boss prefers that we go to lunch with her daily (I work in a small office of 4 people), and I am either going to have to decline her lunch invitations or insist on somewhere with a compliant meal - which I'm afraid will be difficult.  Not sure how this new diet will affect my workout routine - I am doing TRX several times a week, and I hope the decrease in carbs won't affect my workouts. I also am new to cooking with alternative oils - coconut, avocado, etc - so I am looking forward to trying those!

Can I join?!? I plan to start January, 3rd (because I'm invited to Tapas on the 2nd. It's my birthday gift I got from friends in October, and since I work in theatre, it is really hard to find a date. So I decided to start on the 3rd).

I'm from Germany, and I've done my first whole30 in summer 2013. I did it during my summer vacation, and it was great, but I was overwhelmed by all the cooking... Meanwhile I'm gluten free since January, I cook almost all of my meals, I don't need so many recipes anymore, and most important: my kitchen is paleo compliant. I have most ingredients I might need in my storage. So this time I'm not scared to try it while I'm working.

Though I try to eat healthy (I even grow my own vegetables), I really have an addiction problem with sugar, especially chocolate. Christmas isn't helping, so I decided not to do anything during Christmas time (that wouldn't work anyway), and start over in January. I'm planning a whole30, but hope to go 45 or even 100. We will see about that. I really need to loose weight, and to clean my body and get my metabolism back into balance.

In addition to that, I will start a "yoga deal" with a friend. We will both practice yoga every day for at least 15 minutes. We already did that in June, and it was great.

Okay, enough for today. Hope to read you soon, and until that I wish all of you a nice Christmas time!!!

Tanja

I will start Jan 3rd too.  Not doing too bad before, but I have a soup and arepa party on the first and the 2nd is my youngest son's bday and I am baking a paleo carrot cake that I am planning to eat :-) Happy New Year

Holy schmoley!!!

Check out our January roster:

173 people!!  :o 

(EDIT: updated 12/29)

I made all the names links to the "message me" feature, so that we can send notes of support and accountability to each other! :)

2BHealthy

7of9

A_Whole_New_Me

adrien

Ajordin

Allyonthebeach

Amanda Raith

anapaulaoj

anastacia

Ashton

Avery

Bambi

barbarab46

BarefootRambling

BevAnn

bluturtle52

Bonmort

booksnadcoffee

bronnyd

Brynn

CaitlinI

Carly33

cedwards17

ceral5

CEvans55

CHANGING

charaelyse

Cherylmccloud

ChrisHaru

cinbins

ckbrill

claud1a

cmsulig

CSBN

Csteward86

DaniD

debalou69

DebB813

Dee bibb

Dem

Dmccalled4

doctoremily (keto)

doublev

doughty_m

drtracyb

dutchsoccer11

Eponina

feltont

FitJoy1017

gbakos2015

geogirl0626

ginacrossman

ging4r

GingerD

gnakazawa (keto)

Hbombdiggity71

HeidiRE

helen

higs

hoodieruns

iAMDIDIERx

IslandGirl072906

isoldebella

Jackie P

jacquelinesuzanne

Janis Boatright-Werner

Jannike

jdzions

jenlea72

Jenn2011

Jennifer2C

jess in the uk

Jette

joanmclean

jocelynsheerin1

JocI

joni

kam80s

Kandis Castelli

KarenFC

kellygirl

Kellyna

kelsey1027

Kim.C

KimL

KimberlyD

KimberlyH

Kimbrrr137

kirkor (keto)

kitjen

Kiwibyte26

klhardin53

kt cat

Ladylynn34

LaShwanda

Laura S.

Lauren1977

Laurie

lauries3

Lcovi81

ldm29

leahcarn

Libby C.

liddylou

LindaMarie

Linetteg

llambrecht

Lori No Processed Foods

lululove

Lyra Belacqua

56830Maggie Morgue

Mags

Maja

Mama.epstein

Marielle

marshy221

Megsymoo

melanieamcleod

MelissaF

MelissaT

mikebinkley

move2lose

Mrs. Red

Mrssaint

mujerhermosa1

Natalie.s.a

NazzaB

ncg27

oasis

overyonder

pearlgirl610

Penelope

politicalmama

praxisproject (keto)

PrimalMamma

psmally

rachdevsam

Reinet

Rtbwhole30

s99mac

Sabre

sailorlawrence

sarielswish

SavyLola

Seattleram

Sheena812

sherronh

SherryS75

sidcianicliff

SmithDynasty

Sonya_Girl

Sthillen

SueC

Sunflour

Sunshineinny

Susan3141

ThatRedheadGal

the-ames

thepaleobarbie

tiffgetsfit14

Tlentz

thewyrdwoman

Vanessa lewis

vcvint12

Vian (AIP)

walkerlori

wenlyc

whail81

WholeFoodAussie

WildChildGoneGood

YumYumZari

Zelma

zooflute

Please add me to the rooster :-) Thank you!

Ok, I took an hour or so to go over the whole thread, what a great group.  This will be my 4th Whole30, I read the book Aug/2013 and did my frist round Nov 2013 to prepare for a surgery I had Dec 2013.

All my life I thought I ate pretty healthy, no junk foods, not much alcohol (almost none), no sodas, but... but addicted to fruits, too much sugar, fruits are sugar, not good. Re-learning that path, battling to be over with the smoothies and juices, those are my slip-overs... We got this, for healthy reasons, for losing weight reasons, to have more energy and control of our lives!

Good to see here Laurie and Higs from another thread! :-)

My start day will be Jan 3rd. Looking forward to sharing recipes, encourage each other and learn more...

:-)

Im so looking forward to this! Ive done a lot of the eating ground work already but have been struggling with sugar in my coffee and too much fruit. Nervous about stopping, but so excited to take my eating to a new level. I have CFS and fibro and I WANT my life back. I want a career, to play sport, feel lighter, stronger and more lively! 

Archived