Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

I intended to start on January 1, and actually made it through that okay, but messed up today, so I hit the "reset" button on my email digest (yes, the paid one). I'm back on Day 0, which includes getting active on the forum! So here I am!

I'm 25 and already take a handful of pills every morning--have for years--plus I'm about 60 lbs overweight. Since I have celiac disease, paleo makes a lot of sense in the first place, but I've never really been able to get on it and stay on it. I'm hoping with a little extra New Year's Resolve, I'll be able to complete this Whole30 and then transition into a less-strict-but-still-healthy version of paleo. I've got a list of health problems, but the biggest thing is, I just don't feel well. And I should be able to do that, right? Anyway, I'm here for the whole "change your life" thing. Nice to "meet" everyone!

Abigail- welcome! It's nice to "meet" you too! I really do believe that food can be one of our best medicines, or biggest poisons. You're making a great first step doing this, keep with it and you will see results! My first Whole 30 I couldn't believe the difference it made with me physically and emotionally. I only wish I had been more diligent in the post-30 phase. But that's why I'm back. :) Best of luck to you, keep active on the forums, we'll all get through this together!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today was the first day this week I woke up without feeling hungover (I pretty much started on Monday, with possible gluten contamination on New Year's Eve). Wednesday and Thursday morning were rough, so YAY for that! I actually felt quite satisfied all day and I never got ravenously hungry or had that urge to snack. My milk supply has decreased, unfortunately, which could be problematic next week when I'm away from the baby so I'm trying to add even more fat and sweet potatoes to my plate. I'm kinda high on Whole30 right now. I finally convinved my SO that we should invest in local meat and veggie CSAs. Oh yeah...and I haven't weighed or measured myself or anything, but my postpartum belly is DEFINITELY substantially less bloated!

Hi Karinalynne,

Sweet potatoes should help. Make sure you're having plenty of water to drink too. Cutting out grains will naturally cut your carbohydrate intake, which makes you more prone to dehydration. Even more so when nursing! I need to start drinking more water too, my poor skin is so dry right now. Keep up your good work!

Jenn

Finishing Day 2.  M1 was two scrambled eggs, hash of butternut squash and parsnips, chicken broth and a slice of bacon.  M2 was frittata with tomato mushroom.  M3 is mexican beef with sweet potatoes.  Have some guac/celery/tomato to ward of snacking during my graveyard shift.  Did 30 minutes of the treadmill day 1 and day 2 so far.  Also signed up for my workplace world's biggest loser contest which ends March 31.  I feel better today and trust myself to stay compliant.

Newbie over here. I started yesterday but didn't get around to introducing myself until today.

I'm 25, have a 2 year old son, and live in Mississippi. I'm starting to get reeealy nervous about this because I'm the only one in my household in the program. Anyone else feel my pain here?

Welcome! I'm the only one in my house too. My hubby does eat pretty healthy, but is a stickler for his yogurt and granola in the mornings, and sometimes a little cereal for dessert in the evening. Otherwise he'll eat and cook compliant meals at lunch and dinner, so I can't complain. :) The kids are another matter... they'll eat the dinners without too much complaining usually, but don't like mommy's "stinky" breakfasts with eggs, mushrooms, garlic and sauerkraut. lol!

Headng into dinnertime on day 3. Going to make

Thai Green Curry & eat it with my cauliflower rice.

I also had a sweet snack craving between lunch and dinner, but had a coconut coffee instead.Craving gone.

For some reason today I feel like I have heartburn which is really weird as I'm eating healthier than I ever did??? I don't recall this symptom on the timeline - any ideas?

I also had a sweet snack craving between lunch and dinner, but had a coconut coffee instead.Craving gone.

For some reason today I feel like I have heartburn which is really weird as I'm eating healthier than I ever did??? I don't recall this symptom on the timeline - any ideas?

Thai green curry sounds amazing- you're inspiring me to give that a shot! :)

The Thai Green Curry was amazing!!! I also enjoyed the cauliflower rice - my own way. I remember reading a while back that Michelle from Nom Nom Paleo LOVES to use fish sauce on everything, it's like a secret ingredient to added flavour. Soooo, I took my boring riced cauliflower, fried it in some coconut oil, added about a tablespoon of fish sauce (the good one, no naughty ingredients) and voila - devine couscous type alternative!

Hi! I'm starting today, Jan 3rd. I made it about half way through a couple attempts at 30 days during the holidays. Committed to making this happen. I plan to post EVERY DAY to stay accountable :) And if folks don't mind the monotony, I also plan to briefly post my meals. I would say 'good luck' to everyone, but from my past experience, it ain't luck-it's just an old fashioned "Yes Virginia, you CAN do this-no exceptions" attitude! And reminding myself/ourselves that we're not restricting, we're choosing to be free from all the ways that poor food choices make us miserable.

I always get "burpy" in the beginning, too.  Dunno why.  Well for sure with cauliflower it's not a surprise.

This is my second Whole30. First one was in October and I have to say, it was a piece of cake! Now I cant say the same! I intended to start January first but fell out of the wagon on my very first day. Yesterday I tried again.... Why it is so hard? :( 

Any way, here I am, I need all support I can get!!!!   

Well Fed has a recipe for cauliflower rice that is the bomb. It has diced apricot and toasted pine nuts so it's more of a pilaf. Really, really tasty. I make a big batch and use some in stuffed grape leaves, then eat the rest with Thai omelets. Omnomnom.

Hi! I started my 4th W30 on Jan. 1. I have never used the forums here before (don't know why), but thought why not this time. My amazingly supportive husband is along for the ride. We have been gluten free and primal for nearly 3 years, me out of necessity, him because he's simply amazing.

I have severe Ulcerative Colitis and have been on so many different meds to try to control it. Nothing ever really worked, not even the hardcore, scary cancer class drugs or immunosuppressants and steroids. However, after 18 months of eating primally, I was off all medication, and remain that way. I do experience flares whenever my diet falters. Lately, I've been eating too many paleo treats and my weight has crept up. That stops now.

Love the way I feel eating the way (no more 80/20!), no more headaches and I'm already sleeping better. I am very excited to be a part of this community!!

Healing the gut is tricky because you can't just put it in a cast and stop using it for a while like a broken arm.

My gut feels as if it really does need a break though and I'm thinking of taking a day to not eat anything but chicken broth and maybe some blanched kale. I'm considering doing that tomorrow for just a day. Any suggestions? Is that not cool while on the Whole 30 program?

Maybe make it two days - the first day of broth and blanched kale and the second day to slowly move back into eating normally with mostly scrambled eggs, banana - easily digestible foods....

Also thinking of eliminating garlic. Wah. Anybody else think they have a garlic issue? My gut is already inflamed and it feels intuitive that garlic might aggravate it. 

My gut feels as if it really does need a break though and I'm thinking of taking a day to not eat anything but chicken broth and maybe some blanched kale. I'm considering doing that tomorrow for just a day. Any suggestions? Is that not cool while on the Whole 30 program?

Maybe make it two days - the first day of broth and blanched kale and the second day to slowly move back into eating normally with mostly scrambled eggs, banana - easily digestible foods....

That would be something to do outside a Whole30.

Bronnyd, garlic is one of the things I eliminated on a low fodmap plan, also onions, cauliflower, broccoli etc. You can find a full list of allowed and not allowed on the whole30 website, and it has done wonders for my gut health

I'm starting to get reeealy nervous about this because I'm the only one in my household in the program. Anyone else feel my pain here?

Yes! This was me for my first W30 (this time last year). My husband was supportive, but not into it himself, and said we shouldn't stop our two preschool kids from eating "normal" food - bread, cereal, dairy, etc. For the sake of marital harmony I didn't push this too much and just did most of the cooking for the month - so if I was cooking, the family would be eating a W30 meal. (A tiny part of me was shouting internally 'Ha! Take the healthy food! Take it!').

This time round I bought my husband a kindle copy of It Starts With Food and he's read it and is completely on board :) Kids still having some non-paleo foods, but are mostly eating what we eat.

I guess the point of this is that if you do it yourself you're not only doing something really positive for your own health, but also influencing those around you, by showing them the effects that good food can have. Stay strong! All the best :)

I'm in! Also a newbie :) I started on Jan 1st and am feeling pretty good. My birthday is in a week, so that will be a test, but other than that I feel like I'm up for the challenges!

Looking forward to the support of this forum!!

Not sure about the mushrooms, but I can tell you that this Belly Dance Beet Salad is good, since you can't have the feta in yours.  

I try not to make too many things that I really, really would miss the cheese with -- for instance, on my first W30, I made chili and just couldn't get past the fact that I couldn't have cheese with it. I ate it, but every meal that included it, I was like, I want cheese!!  There are so many recipes out there that don't need cheese, maybe try to find those instead. Once you find some good, flavorful recipes, you'll realize you don't need the cheese on everything.

Hi newbie here - is there a chili recipe that excludes beans?? I thought beans were out on Whole 30... 

Bronnyd, garlic is one of the things I eliminated on a low fodmap plan, also onions, cauliflower, broccoli etc. You can find a full list of allowed and not allowed on the whole30 website, and it has done wonders for my gut health

Thank you leahcarn!!

That would be something to do outside a Whole30.

Thank you Kirkor! I will just pay attention to when I feel satiated then - and with my gut feeling the way it is, I might feel less "hungry" for a day or so, and may eat less, but not with intention to cut out food entirely, which is just what we're cultivating here, yes? A healthy body/gut awareness....

Hi all,

I'm going to start a FB group for those who are interested! Let me know your Facebook name, I'll search and add you :)

I'm excited to start sharing recipes, tips, and ideas! This is going to be great.

Kim

Hi Kim,

Will you please add me to the Facebook page? I am Tara Rainey in Austin TX on FB.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I started my first W30 on January 1st and so far, so good. I am hoping to feel better by doing this. I have several health issues that seem to be all related to inflammation. I have been so frustrated in the last year - trying everything to get things under control with only limited success. My hope with W30 is that my aches and pains are diminished and my GI issues are controlled. More energy would be great also! I need to lose weight so hopefully this program will get me going in that direction as well. 

I am 44 and a mother of 2. I have a very supportive husband thank goodness. I work from home so I'm trying to develop strategies for when I am here by myself all day. I am definitely an emotional eater! I love carbs and salt! I am not big on sweets so that should be ok except for all the hidden sugars that seem to be in everything.

We are going on a big trip this coming summer and I want to feel good when we go. I want to be able to walk around the sites without pain and without feeling like I'm holding my husband back from all the opportunities to see everything.

If anyone has started a FB group for support, please let me know. I would love to be a part of it.

Happy eating!

Tara

Archived